3 Ways to Do it

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Re: 3 Ways to Do it

Dwight already made it clear it's going to be Dallas or New Jersey, so free-agency is a long shot.

He said he would consider Boston too. If the Celtics can offer Howard a better supporting cast than the Nets, then why wouldn't he sign with the Celtics? Aren't Boston and New Jersey the only teams with sufficient cap room to sign him (other than Orlando)?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elven 32. Show Elven 32's posts

1. Trade the Ageing 3!

2. Trade the Ageing 3!

3. Trade the Ageing 3!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Accension13. Show Accension13's posts

I think the C's need to hope that Orlando turns down NJ trade offers for Howard. If that happens, deron Williams is in play as possible C's trade target. With Williams, the C's have incentive for Howard to come and play in Boston. To possibly entice him even more, the C's could trade Allen for Ellis. Then the C's would have two of the players Howard wants to play with, doc rivers, and enough cap space to sign him as free agent

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elven 32. Show Elven 32's posts

In Response to Re: 3 Ways to Do it:
    [QUOTE]I think the C's need to hope that Orlando turns down NJ trade offers for Howard. If that happens, deron Williams is in play as possible C's trade target. With Williams, the C's have incentive for Howard to come and play in Boston. To possibly entice him even more, the C's could trade Allen for Ellis. Then the C's would have two of the players Howard wants to play with, doc rivers, and enough cap space to sign him as free agent
    Posted by Accension13[/QUOTE]

1. DH does not want to play for Boston.
    2. Ray has practically no trade value, Ellis/Allen trade is futility at best.
    3. DH does not want to play for Boston.
    4. Doc Rivers has attracted no one.
    5. DH does not want to play for Boston.
    6. If Orlando does trade DH, look for a team out of conference or at best a big market team (i.e Nets)
    7. DH does not want to play for Boston.

Hope that helps.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In Response to 3 Ways to Do it:
    [QUOTE]1. Free-agency 2. Trades 3. Draft We won our last championship by building a team through trades. The 2 best players in this year's free-agent class are Dwight Howard and Deron. If we dont' get one or both then there's no other player worth signing that would be a good building block. Drafting involves luck. So even if we end up with a lottery pick, it's not a sure thing who we draft would end up becoming an All-Star. If Ainge decides to blow it up then the 2012 Draft is the way to go. But if Ainge thinks this team can beat the Bulls or the Heat, then making 1 or 2 trades should do it. Dwight already made it clear it's going to be Dallas or New Jersey, so free-agency is a long shot.
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

Fierce, there is one trade that can still make the Celts.  Rondo for DWill.  I will do that even for a part season rental.  Throw in the higher of the two draft picks or both.  With all due respects to CP3, DWill is the best point guard in NBA.  Tough, tough, tough!!  Also, his game compliments the Big3 much better than Rondo's.  The Celts will be able to compete with anybody with DWill and Big3.

Also, land DWill, maintain cap flexibility and DH might follow.  That is why this is just too good a scenario.  It will be high stakes gambling.  And there is sufficient lack of alternatives for the Nets giving Danny a slight chance of pulling this off.

The other possibility is KG, JON and 3 1st rounders for DH and Turk.  Can win a championship with that lineup too.  But there will be a lot more competition for Danny to be able to pull that off.  Plus Orlando is not that desperate.

Otherwise we are looking at following the 06-07 blue print.  How different are Rondo today and PP in 06?  Collect and develop assets for 2 years.  Then play the chips to get on the map again.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

The Mavs trade Marion then amnesty Brendan Haywood, that will allow them to sign Deron and DH.

Then it seems like a foregone conclusion that the two of them will sign with Dallas. Why would they go to the Nets to play with Brook Lopez when they could go to Dallas and play with Dirk Nowitzki? They also wouldn't pay any state income tax in Texas, compared to 8.9% in New York. Plus Mark Cuban seems like every player's dream owner.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elven 32. Show Elven 32's posts

Ray deserves a max contract for two years as does KG. C'mon guys, lets honor these guys and give them what they deserve.

Laughing

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

I looked at the list, no one is worth signing to be a building for the future.

Ersan Ilyasova is going to be the next Pau Gasol, maybe better. There aren't a lot of bigs who post 20/20 games. If I'm the Bucks, I do whatever it takes to keep him and hope that Bogut can finally stay healthy. A nucleus of Ilyasova, Bogut and Jennings, on paper, should soon be one of the best teams in the league. Ainge may have to overpay to take the chance on Ilyasova emerging as a star. I'd put the probability at better than 50/50 that Ilyasova develops into a top tier player.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

In Response to Re: 3 Ways to Do it:
    [QUOTE]I looked at the list, no one is worth signing to be a building for the future. Ersan Ilyasova is going to be the next Pau Gasol, maybe better. There aren't a lot of bigs who post 20/20 games. If I'm the Bucks, I do whatever it takes to keep him and hope that Bogut can finally stay healthy. A nucleus of Ilyasova, Bogut and Jennings, on paper, should soon be one of the best teams in the league. Ainge may have to overpay to take the chance on Ilyasova emerging as a star. I'd put the probability at better than 50/50 that Ilyasova develops into a top tier player.
    Posted by davidap[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with you, this kid is a good player and is getting better. DA better try to make a run at him. Mil is at 57.5 mil next year and will have to go over to re-sign him. However this may change with what they do with Jennings.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

If we don't get Deron then I say we trade KG to Detroit for their UNPROTECTED 1st round pick, Ben Gordon, and Charlie V.

The Pistons are playing well lately. They might end up cracking the top 8. Even if they don't, I doubt they'd want to surrender a possible No. 1 pick when they could hold onto it and keep their recently successful nucleus intact. From a purely egotistical perspective, the deal would never happen because Dumars would effectively be admitting that he made a double mistake when he signed Gordon and Villanueva as free agents.

Then we trade Ray to Indy for another 1st round pick.

Larry Bird doesn't want to trade with the Celtics and he might be realistic enough to know that Indiana won't get past Miami or Chicago. Why trade a first round pick in a deep draft for an impending free agent who won't make a significant difference? They'd do it for a second round pick.

I suspect the only teams willing to trade first round draft picks for Garnett and/or Allen are those who think they have legitimate title aspirations this year: Oklahoma City, Los Angeles (Clippers), Miami, Chicago, and maybe Dallas and San Antonio too.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

If the Celtics build through the draft then veteran free-agents should not be an option. Joe Dumars made that mistake when he gave Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva big contracts. Any player above the age of 25 should not be considered as a potential target.

Sections
Shortcuts