4 game tour

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Re: 4 game tour

In Response to 4 game tour:
    So Mebron, Paul, Wade and Melo are going to do a 4 game tour and according to Wade "It’ll be very neat," Wade told The Associated Press. "First of all, this is something we talked about doing a long time ago as players. To have an opportunity to go to these different cities that we’re from, to bring basketball to them at a high level Is he really serious........to bring basketball at a high level..........if memory serves me correctly the last games score was 179 to 176 or some ridiculous thing...........can anyone say defense.......nobody contested shots.....it was just a dunkfest.........is that what he considers high level basketball...........pppppplllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeaaaase I hope they don't sell any tickets.....I wouldn't even watch it on tv if you paid me..........got better things to do GO UNC
    Posted by damfuno

A microcosm of the whole problem - they seem to think they are rock stars - a "tour"?  Really??  They are basketball players, and they should probably be looking at ways to end the lockout instead of going on tour-how ridiculous!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

You and I may not watch, damfuno.....but the place will be near sold out because there are a lot of fans who want to just see their favorite players make great offensive plays.   Its not the most competitive basketball, but like the all-star game, it will be entertaining to a great number of people and especially to kids.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Re: 4 game tour:
    In Response to 4 game tour : A microcosm of the whole problem - they seem to think they are rock stars - a "tour"?  Really??  They are basketball players, and they should probably be looking at ways to end the lockout instead of going on tour-how ridiculous!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11

And how, exactly, are they NOT like Rock stars.  People overpay rock stars and treat them like they are role models for something.  How are they different than baseball stars or actors and actresses?   Why does everyone care what Charlie Sheen did and what house Tom Cruise has and who Brittney Spears married or what Sandra Bullock's husband did?  

NBA players are rock stars, even if we don't like it. They are in the public eye and they are paid a lot of money because people pay a lot to see them.  T-mobile pays Dwade a LOT of money to walk through a commercial as if he really knows what cell phone service is best for us.  Bull.  He doesn't, but the NBA made him bigger than life and to pretend like they can just put the monster back in the bottle is silly.

If the owners didn't want players to be rock stars, they shouldn't have promoted Kobe vs Lebron or Bird vs Magic or Michael vs Charles and instead should have promoted Lakers vs Cavs or Phoenix vs Bulls and talked about the TEAM.  But they didn't - they talked about the STAR of the team.   So, how is it that the players are not stars now?????

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

They were promoting the 'star' of the team for over 50 years. Mikan was billed rather than The Lakers in a game against The Knicks. Not really a new thing at all.

Truth be told this has been happening since the days of the gladiators.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In Response to 4 game tour : A microcosm of the whole problem - they seem to think they are rock stars - a "tour"?  Really??  They are basketball players, and they should probably be looking at ways to end the lockout instead of going on tour-how ridiculous!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11

I agree.. they are over estimating the interest people have in them... yea, I expect "kids" to show up and watch them play HORSE during the game  and some adults too, as long as the price is cheap or for free.

These guys are celebrities and do get the vip treatment but they need a team around them and have to be good and the competition from another team (home team) to draw fans.  The rock or rap star just has to show up and 20,000 people want in.

Check out Lebrons most watched highlight on YOu Tube... then look at Justin Beibers (sp) views

We're talking different levels here.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: 4 game tour : And how, exactly, are they NOT like Rock stars.  People overpay rock stars and treat them like they are role models for something.  How are they different than baseball stars or actors and actresses?   Why does everyone care what Charlie Sheen did and what house Tom Cruise has and who Brittney Spears married or what Sandra Bullock's husband did?   NBA players are rock stars, even if we don't like it. They are in the public eye and they are paid a lot of money because people pay a lot to see them.  T-mobile pays Dwade a LOT of money to walk through a commercial as if he really knows what cell phone service is best for us.  Bull.  He doesn't, but the NBA made him bigger than life and to pretend like they can just put the monster back in the bottle is silly. If the owners didn't want players to be rock stars, they shouldn't have promoted Kobe vs Lebron or Bird vs Magic or Michael vs Charles and instead should have promoted Lakers vs Cavs or Phoenix vs Bulls and talked about the TEAM.  But they didn't - they talked about the STAR of the team.   So, how is it that the players are not stars now?????
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

Sorry, but I don't care a whit about Steven Tyler's personal life.  Nor do I care a whit about this "tour".  It is not sacntioned by the NBA, and that's who they work for (despite current situations)......and, if you read my post, you'll see I say very clearly, that this is a microcosm of the whole problem.  They are treated like royalty (where is Charles, "I'm not a role model" Barkley when you need him?) every where they go.  That IS the problem.  That gets them thinking the owners should do the same thing.  Problem is that 5 years from now, the fans and owners will still be here, and they won't.

Anyone know what Jo Jo White is doing these days?  How about AC Green.  If they don't get into broadcasting, they pretty much fade away.............as it should be!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

The point is not whether you or I care, Red. The point is that there are huge numbers of fans and TV announcers who care. It is stupid to you and to me, but we can't deny that many people care. So, we can't say these stars won't create some big, albeit temporary, audiences with their "tours". For me, I hope they do. Good for them. It doesn't affect me as I won't go see it. But, if it makes some kids or some fans happy, good for them. As for fading away - anyone know what Tom Jones, "Chicago", Faye Dunaway or Candice Bergen or Sidney Portier is doing today? No? Guess they all fade away. It's like they say " Fame is fleeting" and it applies to nearly all stars (no pun intended) - NBA, Rock Stars, And Actors.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

"Problem is that 5 years from now, the fans and owners will still be here, and they won't" I agree, Red. So do the players. That's why they fight for all they can get for the short 5 or 8 years they are around. When it's over, they'll have nothing so they better maximize those few years of high earnings hole they can.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

The point is not whether you or I care, Red. The point is that there are huge numbers of fans and TV announcers who care. It is stupid to you and to me, but we can't deny that many people care. So, we can't say these stars won't create some big, albeit temporary, audiences with their "tours". For me, I hope they do. Good for them. It doesn't affect me as I won't go see it. But, if it makes some kids or some fans happy, good for them. As for fading away - anyone know what Tom Jones, "Chicago", Faye Dunaway or Candice Bergen or Sidney Portier is doing today? No? Guess they all fade away. It's like they say " Fame is fleeting" and it applies to nearly all stars (no pun intended) - NBA, Rock Stars, And Actors.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

Poitier retired from acting in 2001 - Chicago is not the same band since Cetera left the group.  And, I didn't ask about Magic, Bird or McHale......I asked about some lesser known stars - Tom Jones?  He's like Magic or Bird- he will never fade away.  How about Tommy James?  Still  out there?  Yes, but do you ever hear about him?  Don't really get your point!
    And, do you really think they are doing this "tour" because they care about fans or young people????

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

"Problem is that 5 years from now, the fans and owners will still be here, and they won't" I agree, Red. So do the players. That's why they fight for all they can get for the short 5 or 8 years they are around. When it's over, they'll have nothing so they better maximize those few years of high earnings hole they can.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

Doesn't your agreeing with me mean it's the owners league?  Can't they run it the way they want, the way they need to maximize profit in the long term?

13. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts