4 team trade

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

4 team trade

I really don't understand these trades? Ariza to the Hornets and Collison & Posey to the Pacers. Nice deal for Bird and it really helps the Pacers. Why are the Rockets trading Ariza???

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5455472

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

Re: 4 team trade

I think its most likely a salary dump for them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I wonder could Bird and Ainge have a deal in mind to get Posey back to Boston via Indiana?? Bird wanted to unload Murphy's deal and he got Collison. The Pacers are forming a good young nucleus there. I guess this definately spells the end for TJ Ford.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

Thats exactly what I was thinking when I heard Posey was involved. He would be exactly what we need, shooter who can play D and knows our system.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

So the Rockets GM is a liar

I'd have LOVED Ariza

Now Houston has 3 SG's in Martin, Lee and Budinger

Ah well

We couldn't have absorbed Murphy's contract, but I'd have dumped Sheed and a #1 pick for Ariza in a heartbeat

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

It would be really ironic if Posey came back here.  Two years ago management didn't want to tie down the pay roll by giving him the third year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenpride32. Show greenpride32's posts

Ariza shot the ball horribly last year.  I think he gave many people the false impression he was developing into a front line scorer with all his 20-30 point games.  But that was really the more the case of him jacking up 20-25 shots a game.

I don't think we have any trade chips left to land Posey.  Ainge did say the other day the 15th roster spot would most likley be a vet min player.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Depending on what Sheed's buyout is why couldn't the C's use Sheed's left over money and some cash to trade for Posey.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toineson. Show toineson's posts

Yes sir!!!!  As I alluded to in the "BRING BACK TOINE" thread which sadly no longer exists, the Pacers were likely to trade Troy Murphy.  And NOW, they are likely to consider buyouts of both TJ Ford and James Posey. 

HMMMM MAYBE THE TOINE AND ONLY WILL BE ON THEIR RADAR NOW Smile

Indy could use a veteran replacement--"stretch 4" on the cheap--for Murphy... Larry Bird's career playoff 3PT FG%--32.1%... Antoine Walker's-- 35.2%.  I mean, it's gotta be one or the other, right?? 

Could Waltah McCarty, Vitaly "Do you got the time" Potapenko, Jimmy O'Brien and Antoine Walker be reunited again??  That team is STARVING for veteran leadership and someone to help prevent Lance "Born Ready" Stephenson and the other young Pacers from making the same kinds of financial mistakes....Stay tuned!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: 4 team trade:
    [QUOTE]Thats exactly what I was thinking when I heard Posey was involved. He would be exactly what we need, shooter who can play D and knows our system.
    Posted by CelticFanLA[/QUOTE]

I agree that Posey or someone like him would be a good addition to the current Celtics team. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenpride32. Show greenpride32's posts

[QUOTE]Depending on what Sheed's buyout is why couldn't the C's use Sheed's left over money and some cash to trade for Posey.
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

Not sure how buyout rules work, but C's are still way over the cap minus Sheed.  So I'm thinking this would have to be a trade of matching salaries.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jm02130. Show jm02130's posts

IMHO the Nets won this trade.  They got the best player.

Posey isn't coming back unless he is waived by the Pacers, which is a possibility I suppose.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Murphy is a very good player. Nets did well getting him. Collisson is a good young point guard who IMO is too good to be a backup. He really played well during C.Paul's absence last season.
       Obviously Houston wasn't too happy with Ariza after just one season.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from binbones. Show binbones's posts

Pacers  do not have a current 2 year need for a vet like POSEY....

Is SHEED'S contract off C'S payroll so that C'S can now take on POSEY for 2yrs...

somebody ...please say..... YES ,YES , YES.............

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stupideeediot. Show Stupideeediot's posts

As far as I'm aware .. Sheed's contract number is never off the Celtics books even if they buy him out. It just gets reduced and spread out:

63. How do buy-outs affect a team's salary cap?

The agreed-upon buy-out amount (see question number 62) is included in the team salary instead of the salary called for in the contract. If the player had more than one season left on his contract, then the buy-out money is distributed among those seasons in proportion to the original salary. For example, say a player had three seasons remaining on his contract, with salaries of $10 million, $11 million and $12 million. The player and team agree to a buyout of $15 million. The $15 million is therefore charged to the team salary over the three seasons. Since the original contract had $33 million left to be paid, and $10 million is 30.3% of $33 million, 30.3% of the $15 million buyout, or $4.545 million, is included in the team salary in the first season following the buyout. Likewise, 33.33% of $15 million, or $5 million, is included in the team salary in the second season, and 36.36% of $15 million, or $5.455 million, is included in the team salary in the third season.

The distribution of the buy-out money is a matter of individual negotiation. Changing the number of years in which the money is paid does not change the number of years in which the team's team salary is charged. In the above example in which the player's contract is bought out with three seasons remaining, the buyout amount is always charged to the team salary over three seasons. It does not matter if the player is actually paid in a lump sum or over 20 years (a spread provision).

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

i dont understand why the c's would buy him out at all.  Honor the contract as signed or retire.  If you retire, the contract should be null and void.  Seems like a way to circumvent the salary cap to me.  Why not always sign a 4-5 year contract to an aging vet at the VM, and then just buy out the remaining 3-4 years at 95% of the total and the guy gets a "deal" of 3-4 times the VM?  Just seems wrong to me.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jm02130. Show jm02130's posts

The answer is that, even if you pay him nothing, the player's salary remains on your cap.  The only exception is for players who retire due to injury.  See Coon's FAQ #55. 
    If you are in luxury tax territory, a buyout at a reduced amount could actually save money, or at least break even.  Plus, it does not annoy the player's agent who wants to be paid something too and who is someone you will have to deal with going forward.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

[QUOTE]The answer is that, even if you pay him nothing, the player's salary remains on your cap.  The only exception is for players who retire due to injury.  See Coon's FAQ #55.  If you are in luxury tax territory, a buyout at a reduced amount could actually save money, or at least break even.  Plus, it does not annoy the player's agent who wants to be paid something too and who is someone you will have to deal with going forward.
    Posted by jm02130[/QUOTE]

Dumb rule...retired player should have his salary just go away, and then not be able to return for 2 years, to prevent a team jumper.  simple, final, and clean.  If the player wants to retire, he should get $0.00.  You are going to pay him to do nothing!!! I want that deal.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]IMHO the Nets won this trade.  They got the best player. Posey isn't coming back unless he is waived by the Pacers, which is a possibility I suppose.
    Posted by jm02130[/QUOTE]

Ariza and Collison are superior players to Murphy

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jm02130. Show jm02130's posts

Yes, that's right.  But absent the buyout, his entire salary stays on the cap, whether the team is paying any actual dollars or not.  With a buyout, the cap hit is reduced to the amount of the buyout.

Actually, if the player then signs with another team, there is a further set off, so that the original team pays less. See Coon's FAQ #57.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jm02130. Show jm02130's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 4 team trade : Ariza and Collison are superior players to Murphy
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

No, they are not.  Over the last two years (since getting healthy) Murphy has averaged 14 and 11 (in only 33 minutes per game) and has shot over 40% from beyond the arc.

Neither Ariza nor Collison can come close to those offensive numbers.  In fact, Murphy's offensive numbers are comparable to Kevin Garnett's numbers over the past two years.

Collison is a blue collar worker but he's not a scorer. As for Ariza, he (along with Matt Barnes) is totally overrated.  Houston found that out right away and dumped Ariza after only one year.