4th Q meltdowns

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

4th Q meltdowns

Regarding THE trade, I'm of the mind, what's done is done, now let's sit back and see how it turns out.

However, I have a question for those who insist that if Perk had not fallen to injury in last season's 6th game, we would have persevered and won the championship.

The Celtics had the lead in the 4th Q and let it slip away in the waning minutes. But this was at a juncture when Perk was customarily on the bench anyway. So is it reasonable to assume that if Perk had been available, would Doc in that situation, late in the 4th Q have deviated from his regular game plan and inserted Perk with 3 or 4 minutes left in the game?

It just seems to me that if Perk is such an important part of the big-man defensive scheme, because surely he is not an offensive weapon, than he should be on the court when it gets to be crunch time.

That being said, I am not discounting the role that he played or that element that he brought to the team. I, too, was a big Perk fan, but perhaps the scope of his role has been exaggerated by his departure.

Time will tell, but I'm still quite optimistic as to the team's chances in the playoffs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Re: 4th Q meltdowns

In Response to 4th Q meltdowns:
    [QUOTE]Regarding THE trade, I'm of the mind, what's done is done, now let's sit back and see how it turns out. However, I have a question for those who insist that if Perk had not fallen to injury in last season's 6th game, we would have persevered and won the championship. The Celtics had the lead in the 4th Q and let it slip away in the waning minutes. But this was at a juncture when Perk was customarily on the bench anyway. So is it reasonable to assume that if Perk had been available, would Doc in that situation, late in the 4th Q have deviated from his regular game plan and inserted Perk with 3 or 4 minutes left in the game? It just seems to me that if Perk is such an important part of the big-man defensive scheme, because surely he is not an offensive weapon, than he should be on the court when it gets to be crunch time. That being said, I am not discounting the role that he played or that element that he brought to the team. I, too, was a big Perk fan, but perhaps the scope of his role has been exaggerated by his departure. Time will tell, but I'm still quite optimistic as to the team's chances in the playoffs.
    Posted by dustcover[/QUOTE]

And the legend grows........  based on what I have seen, heard, and read the Cs just traded Hakeem / Kareem / the Admiral / Howard / Patrick for a dozen stale doughnuts and an overrated 5th pick from several years ago.

People believe two things - one that you posited, i.e. losing Perk cost them the title and when in their dark moments they can accept that is not the case they revert to the second thing they believe - the refs and David Stern wanted the Lakers to win.  What those same people cannot even comprehend is that if Bynum had been healthy, there would have been no game 6 or 7.

I worked for a company where when someone was fired management's line was "so and so is now seeking other opportunities", the sports equivalent is "they don't ask him to do that" as if being a complete player is a bad thing.  So Rondo gets tagged with the "pass first point guard" and Perk gets tagged "the best low post defender in the league".  Both of which are qualifiers that basically point out the 800 pound gorilla in the room that nobody wants to talk about.

The Cs played offense 3 against 5 and it was suggested that it was not in the job description for Rondo and Perk to score.  Hmmm, the 20th scoring offense in the league is fine if two of the starters have glaring weaknesses but "it is not their job" or "they don't ask them to do that".

They don't ask them to do it because.... drum roll please..... THEY CAN'T.

Neither Rondo nor Perk standing waist deep in the ocean can hit the ocean with the ball.  So somehow when the Bulls, Lakers, Heat hold them to less than 90 and in the case of the Bulls less than 80, the problem is the defnse not the offense.  People love to talk about how the Cs have a distinct advantage at the point vs. the Heat - ummmm Rondo does not have a distinct advantage against LeBron. 

Let's face it, the Cs just traded Dampier for a young Big Z and oh by the way got the first guy off the bench to spell Pierce and Allen and score a lot more points.

Against Denver Rondo stepped up and dropped 5 on the Nuggets - 5 points.

Going forward Krstic will be knocking down jumpers, making all his freebies, and not complaining about every foul.  He will be a fixture in the offense as will Green.

The 4th quarter meltdowns will see Rondo on the bench with a towel over his head and West running the team which will have either Shaq or Krstic on the floor with Pierce, KG, and Allen with Baby and Green being the 4th quarter subs.  And oooppppps... there will be no more 4th quarter meltdowns.

I cannot wait for the idiots who will want to retire Perk's number.  And I believe I have read over and over again how Perk was on the team when they won #17.  As if had there been any number of other centers on that team including Krstic, they would not have won that title.  A complete joke.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

The Celtics' tendency to squander 4th quarter leads (something we saw yet again in Denver) is exactly why Ainge needed to make this trade. The Celtics run out of gas late in games because Pierce and Allen (and to a lesser extent Garnett, Davis and Rondo), play too many minutes. By adding Jeff Green, the best player in the Celtics-Thunder deal, Boston now has a younger, better version of the 2008 James Posey.

Green is accustomed to playing nearly 40 minutes a game. He can play the 2, 3, or 4. Rivers can now reduce Pierce's minutes from 35 per game to around 30. He can reduce Allen's minutes from 36 per game to 30. He can reduce Garnett's minutes from 32 per game to 27. That's 16 minutes for Green right there, with 25 minutes still left at SF/SG. Give Green about 14 of those 25 minutes and he's at 30 per game, like Pierce and Allen. Divvy up the remaining 11 minutes between Wafer and West: 6 to Wafer, 5 to West, with West picking up an additional 13 minutes at PG behind Rondo (who also needs more rest). Glen Davis would still play about 27-30 minutes per game, 16 as a backup to Garnett, the remainder at center when the Celtics go small.

I'd also consider slashing Allen's minutes even further to about 25 per game, if the Celtics can add another SG to one of the open roster spots. As much as I love Allen's game, and appreciate his contributions, his production drops off a cliff towards the end of the season, and especially during the playoffs where he becomes a liability. People forget he didn't contribute much in the '08 playoffs and he was horrendous in last year's finals, save for one game. I want him energetic and raring to go in the playoffs this time around. Ditto for Pierce, who is still a very explosive slasher, but needs his rest in order to keep up with the Jameses and Anthonys of the league. In Pierce's case, playing 5 fewer minutes a night would probably be enough to keep him strong. Allen likely needs 10 fewer minutes.

I don't really have enough information about how the center rotation will look because we don't know who Ainge will sign to fill the 2-3 open roster spots. But that should work itself out in due time. Shaquille O'Neal will likely return in some capacity, maybe at 15 minutes per game. (He was effective in the first quarter of games earlier in the year). Davis can play about another 15 per game. That's 30 minutes right there. Some combination of Nenad Krstic, Waiver Pickup X (Troy Murphy? Samuel Dalembert?), Waiver Pickup Y (Chris Wilcox? Rasheed Wallace? Leon Powe?), D-League Call-up Z (Chris Johnson? Tiny Gallon?), and Jermaine O'Neal (the ideal replacement for Perkins because of the similar style of play) will combine for another 18 minutes.

It may take time for the new-look Celtics to gel together, which means they might cede the No. 1 and/or 2 slots to Miami and Chicago. But come playoff time, the Celtics should still be the most dangerous team in the East. The addition of Jeff Green is humongous and the new center rotation will ultimately be better than what we saw at the beginning of the year. Delonte West is also a significant upgrade over Nate Robinson at the backup 1 slot.

In conclusion, do not fret my fellow Celtics fans. The team is a lot better today than it was a few days ago, if for no other reason than the reality that the older guys will be fresher at the end of games and the second unit will be more productive. No longer will the Celtics be in a situation where they're playing 3-on-5 basketball on offense (opposing teams never had to worry about guarding Rondo or Perkins late in games). The success of the Celtics will depend on two factors now: 1) do they add a significant rebounder/shot-blocker off the waiver wire to join the center rotation and 2) can everyone stay healthy?

I know I'm still pumped. On paper, the Celtics remain the best team in the league. They just have to work out a few kinks, get everyone back healthy, and round out the roster.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In Response to Re: 4th Q meltdowns:
    [QUOTE]In Response to 4th Q meltdowns : And the legend grows........  based on what I have seen, heard, and read the Cs just traded Hakeem / Kareem / the Admiral / Howard / Patrick for a dozen stale doughnuts and an overrated 5th pick from several years ago.

People believe two things - one that you posited, i.e. losing Perk cost them the title and when in their dark moments they can accept that is not the case they revert to the second thing they believe - the refs and David Stern wanted the Lakers to win.  What those same people cannot even comprehend is that if Bynum had been healthy, there would have been no game 6 or 7. That is only YOUR  opinion and a LOT of the media feel the same way. The TNT announcer against Denver the other nite said the same exact thing.

I worked for a company where when someone was fired management's line was "so and so is now seeking other opportunities", the sports equivalent is "they don't ask him to do that" as if being a complete player is a bad thing.  I bet you didn't last long

So Rondo gets tagged with the "pass first point guard" and Perk gets tagged "the best low post defender in the league".  Both of which are qualifiers that basically point out the 800 pound gorilla in the room that nobody wants to talk about. The Cs played offense 3 against 5 and it was suggested that it was not in the job description for Rondo and Perk to score. Rondo is a PASSFIRST point guard. That is his strength and a very good one.  His worst feature is his shooting NOT IS SCORING.  Perk also was not a scorer and he won't be asked to do that at OKC.  They wanted him because he is what most consider the BEST LOW POST DEFENDER IN THE LEAGUE.  Deal with it just because you don't want to accept it.  It is right there, everyone knows but you.  DING DING DING  wake up and smell the roses Dud.  They do what they do.  ALL PLAYERS HAVE FAULTS  dingbat.

Hmmm, the 20th scoring offense in the league is fine if two of the starters have glaring weaknesses but "it is not their job" or "they don't ask them to do that". They don't ask them to do it because.... drum roll please..... THEY CAN'T. Again, while they play with 3 HOF players they are not asked to score.  That is why Baby takes Perks place at the end of games.  The other 45 minutes of the game are important also.  Rondo can score in case you didn't understand that.  I know you say he can't shoot, can't drive, can't finish.  Well if he can't do those things how does he shoot 50% from the field. I rest my case there. His scoring will pick up with another outside threat on the court -Krisitic.  I am sure you won't understand that but Doc has already said that it will help Rondo. 

Neither Rondo nor Perk standing waist deep in the ocean can hit the ocean with the ball.  So somehow when the Bulls, Lakers, Heat hold them to less than 90 and in the case of the Bulls less than 80, the problem is the defnse not the offense.  And we hold those teams to usually less than we score agains them, I wonder why.  Could it be the players you rag on constantly had something to do with it. Nah.

People love to talk about how the Cs have a distinct advantage at the point vs. the Heat - ummmm Rondo does not have a distinct advantage against LeBron.  Let's face it, the Cs just traded Dampier for a young Big Z and oh by the way got the first guy off the bench to spell Pierce and Allen and score a lot more points.
    So I guess this means you think we have improved. Good I hope so. They changed the dynamics of the team.  Obviously OKC  liked the deal or they wouldn''t have done it and oh by the way, they included a #1 pick.  FOR PERKINS. I guarantee it wasn't for Nate.  Why would they give the C's all that for a PG that can't play PG and a center that in your eyes 25 other centers are better than.  You are showing your stubborness and ignorance more and more.

Against Denver Rondo stepped up and dropped 5 on the Nuggets - 5 points. Going forward Krstic will be knocking down jumpers, making all his freebies, and not complaining about every foul.  He will be a fixture in the offense as will Green.  Oh well everyone  has bad games and Rondo is no exception. He has a lot more good than bad where you admit it or not.  Again all you have to do is LISTEN to announcers. EVERYONE of them think Rondo is a very good player.  Only you and a couple of posters here think otherwise.   BTW Chris Bosh went 1-18 the other nite.  I can imagine Rondo doing that and you would type 6 pages telling us how bad he is.  PP went 1-11 not long ago also. So don't pick out 1 game and tell us how bad Rondo is. For every one game you show I will show you 4 that he played well in.  Sit on that and spin sucker.

The 4th quarter meltdowns will see Rondo on the bench with a towel over his head and West running the team which will have either Shaq or Krstic on the floor with Pierce, KG, and Allen with Baby and Green being the 4th quarter subs.  And oooppppps... there will be no more 4th quarter meltdowns. I cannot wait for the idiots who will want to retire Perk's number.  No one has put Perk in the HOF and YOU are the only one that has put in him the gutter.  AGAIN OKC must have thought highly of him or they wouldn't have given up so much to get him.  Maybe that is why there is a 4th quarter melt down, Rondo WAS on the bench.

And I believe I have read over and over again how Perk was on the team when they won #17.  As if had there been any number of other centers on that team including Krstic, they would not have won that title.  A complete joke. I believe Perk WAS on the team when they one.  They also never lost a series when they were all playing. Deal with it.  Rondo and Perk were part of that.  All the players you mention that are better were not a part of it and most have never even sniffed a championship.  THE ONLY JOKE AROUND HERE IS YOU!!!!  I  hate to bring out your old picture but you forced me to.

Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

i'm not even going to pretend i had enough time to read all of the above. ;)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

OneOnOne, you're clearly a very nice guy.  You actually took the time to respond to that "book" that Dudder wrote.....again!  He's written the same long winded opinion over and over.  I respect that he took the time to write his views, but I wish he would move on (Rondo is not a leading point guard, Rondo is not that good, Rondo is not that good, .......).  We've heard it all before and he's entitled to his opinion, but you're wasting your time responding to him.....AGAIN!

Sections
Shortcuts