57 Wins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

57 Wins

I think that's what it takes to get home court advantage up to the 2nd round of the playoffs in the east. 

If the Celtics only lose 4 games every month for 6 months then 57 wins is achievable.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Re: 57 Wins

I think that's pretty realistic.  My concern is that the Heat haven't begun to hit their stride yet, and if Boston loses in Miami Thursday, then they will have lost 3 games in less than three weeks. 

Boston, Miami, Atlanta and Orlando:  No other division has this degree of difficulty. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

In Response to Re: 57 Wins:
    [QUOTE]I think that's pretty realistic.  My concern is that the Heat haven't begun to hit their stride yet, and if Boston loses in Miami Thursday, then they will have lost 3 games in less than three weeks.  Boston, Miami, Atlanta and Orlando:  No other division has this degree of difficulty. 
    Posted by soups[/QUOTE]

That's why it's gonna be sweet watching you guys and the other Eastern teams beat up on each other while the Lakers are on "cruise control" heading into the playoffs. The Lakers should end up with home court throughout the playoffs and that will be enough to hang that elusive 17th banner.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In Response to 57 Wins:
    [QUOTE]I think that's what it takes to get home court advantage up to the 2nd round of the playoffs in the east.  If the Celtics only lose 4 games every month for 6 months then 57 wins is achievable.
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

Sounds good.  Sign me up.  I'll take my chances with 57 wins if I'm Doc. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

soups, I think you mean conference, not division.  The Eastern Conference is becoming what the Western Conference has been for the better part of the past 8 years.  The Western Conference had teams with 50 wins that were 6 or 7 seeded in the conference.  The better players have migrated to the Eastern Conference so now there are many more better, more competitive teams in the east.

I would not automatically anoint those 4 teams you mention as the class of the east.  I think the Knicks will be better and you can't count out Chicago.  Milwaukee will be a force in the east too.

P34, there is no way this Celtics team, with all the injuries and games that will be missed by various players throughout the season, will win 57 games.  Do you honestly think we can lose no more than 4 games per month?  That is truly wishful thinking.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 57 Wins : That's why it's gonna be sweet watching you guys and the other Eastern teams beat up on each other while the Lakers are on "cruise control" heading into the playoffs. The Lakers should end up with home court throughout the playoffs and that will be enough to hang that elusive 17th banner.
    Posted by Qdaddy[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 57 Wins : That's why it's gonna be sweet watching you guys and the other Eastern teams beat up on each other while the Lakers are on "cruise control" heading into the playoffs. The Lakers should end up with home court throughout the playoffs and that will be enough to hang that elusive 17th banner.
    Posted by Qdaddy[/QUOTE]

Yep, you're right.  But that's pretty much how it always plays out; the East actually plays defense.  That's also why OKC gave you guys a great series last year; they played D against LA and Kevin Durant proved to the world that he's a better athlete than anyone on the court.  Even Kobe agreed.

Have you looked at the Lakers' schedule so far?  Seriously?  They better get these wins now; there is NO reason for them not to go 12-0 to start this season.  Go look at their schedule:  Do you realize they've only played one team with a winning record so far?  Portland.  That's it. Memphis does, too, but not when LA beat them.  And LA doesn't face an even semi-decent team for about another week or two.  None.

Your schedule was a lovely little gift.  No offense...got tons of respect for LA.  But anything short of about 12-0 to start would be unacceptable to the other four teams I mentioned, and anything short of about 20-2 would be unacceptable to LA. They have zero challenge until they cross the Mississippi.

But LA won't be putting up 100 points against Boston, Miami, Atlanta or Orlando.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

[QUOTE]soups, I think you mean conference, not division.  The Eastern Conference is becoming what the Western Conference has been for the better part of the past 8 years.  The Western Conference had teams with 50 wins that were 6 or 7 seeded in the conference.  The better players have migrated to the Eastern Conference so now there are many more better, more competitive teams in the east. I would not automatically anoint those 4 teams you mention as the class of the east.  I think the Knicks will be better and you can't count out Chicago.  Milwaukee will be a force in the east too. P34, there is no way this Celtics team, with all the injuries and games that will be missed by various players throughout the season, will win 57 games.  Do you honestly think we can lose no more than 4 games per month?  That is truly wishful thinking.
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]

Right on... conference, not division.  But honeslty, the Knicks aren't going to have a winning record against these four teams this season.  I think they'll lock down about the 5th or 6th spot come playoffs, which is a huge improvement.  But I hear you...it's too early to predict. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

"Q",  you are so correct.....this is just like the '80's.....the decade of the "Big Four"....(with 3 of the 4 powers residing in the Eastern Conference)....this is why the Lakers won 5 titles in the '80's....they had no competition in the West...they got to the Finals 8 times!!!  .....lost to the Sixers, Celts, and Pistons....and the Pistons weren't even part of the Big Four...Bob Lanier's Bucks were.....they just couldn't make it through the Eastern Conference....just think....Parish....Malone....Lanier....(three hall of famers)....and out West....Kevin Duckworth.....injuries to the majority of the 86/87 Celts were the only reason the Lakers/Celts didn't end up 4/4 during the decade......

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 57 Wins : Yep, you're right.  But that's pretty much how it always plays out; the East actually plays defense.  That's also why OKC gave you guys a great series last year; they played D against LA and Kevin Durant proved to the world that he's a better athlete than anyone on the court.  Even Kobe agreed. Have you looked at the Lakers' schedule so far?  Seriously?  They better get these wins now; there is NO reason for them not to go 12-0 to start this season.  Go look at their schedule:  Do you realize they've only played one team with a winning record so far?  Portland.  That's it. Memphis does, too, but not when LA beat them.  And LA doesn't face an even semi-decent team for about another week or two.  None. Your schedule was a lovely little gift.  No offense...got tons of respect for LA.  But anything short of about 12-0 to start would be unacceptable to the other four teams I mentioned, and anything short of about 20-2 would be unacceptable to LA. They have zero challenge until they cross the Mississippi. But LA won't be putting up 100 points against Boston, Miami, Atlanta or Orlando.
    Posted by soups[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Speaking of great starts....Celtics last 3 years:

29-3
    27-2
    23-5

combined 79-10

6-2 to start this year....only losses coming off back to back road games....who makes up these schedules anyway?  ....I agree....why do the schedule makers favor the Lakers so much?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

The Laker schedule makes no sense.  They have played seven games with no team that can challenge.  Portland no longer looks like a rival.  I would say to Laker fans you better be undefeated.  Artest looks awful by the way.  And Gasol is now there best player.  My prediction is Kobe will coast and rest as much as he can this year as father time visits Mr 6 for 24 and finals MVP big time this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUMcHale. Show RUMcHale's posts

The fact the Lakers continue to beat teams there supposed to is a lesson for the Celtics, you have to front against teams your expected to beat!

If Kobe does get to rest as many minutes as he has been so far then come playoff time the Lakers barring injury will be the TEAM to beat. A rested Kobe with the Spaniard and co in top form is infinitely more scarier than Miami.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]The fact the Lakers continue to beat teams there supposed to is a lesson for the Celtics, you have to front against teams your expected to beat! If Kobe does get to rest as many minutes as he has been so far then come playoff time the Lakers barring injury will be the TEAM to beat. A rested Kobe with the Spaniard and co in top form is infinitely more scarier than Miami.
    Posted by RUMcHale[/QUOTE]

Where did you learn grammar, in the kitchen?  Back to the kitchen with you!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Rum, the only thing is the teams the Lakers are supposed to beat are horrible and the ones on the Celtics schedule are very good.  It will even out and I hope you are prepared for the challenges ahead for the Lakers even though I know you are as you say a Celtic fan.  I mean why would you be on this board if you were not.  Only a teenager would do that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]soups, I think you mean conference, not division.  The Eastern Conference is becoming what the Western Conference has been for the better part of the past 8 years.  The Western Conference had teams with 50 wins that were 6 or 7 seeded in the conference.  The better players have migrated to the Eastern Conference so now there are many more better, more competitive teams in the east. I would not automatically anoint those 4 teams you mention as the class of the east.  I think the Knicks will be better and you can't count out Chicago.  Milwaukee will be a force in the east too. P34, there is no way this Celtics team, with all the injuries and games that will be missed by various players throughout the season, will win 57 games.  Do you honestly think we can lose no more than 4 games per month?  That is truly wishful thinking.
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]

I will be happy if we get 55 wins. But I'm not sure that will be enough to get home court advantage in the 2nd round of the playoffs. 

The Celtics have a tough schedule in November and March. If the Cs lose 5 games in each of those months the Celtics are still on course for a 56 win season. What's important is the Celtics must play well at home. If the Cs win 30-32 games at home they only need to win 25-27 games on the road. 

I don't think 50-52 wins will be good enough this time. Last year the Celtics got away with it because I think the Cs surprised the Cavs and the Magic. This season no playoff team will take the Cs lightly. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Fierce,
    I think waiting to see how we do with everyone on the team and in decent health may show we may be able to do better than 55.  Of course if we can't get healthy your 50 to 52 scenario becomes probable.

I think we are better than last year. Pierce and Allen look as good and Garnett looks better. The new additions seem to make us a better team as well.  All of it is very much in play and anything could happen.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from walton. Show walton's posts

[QUOTE]I think that's pretty realistic.  My concern is that the Heat haven't begun to hit their stride yet, and if Boston loses in Miami Thursday, then they will have lost 3 games in less than three weeks.  Boston, Miami, Atlanta and Orlando:  No other division has this degree of difficulty. 
    Posted by soups[/QUOTE]

Atlanta lost 4 in a row to Orlando in the play-offs last year. They are notoriously horrible on the road especially in big games. Orlando is still a dumb team. They'll find a way to lose. Miami is very weak in the middle. Okafor had 26 against them and Milsap had 46 tonite..............so what I'm saying is that a teams record and how GOOD they actually are can be two completely different things. I wouldn't worry about Atlanta in the long haul. Not sure if they've ever won a road game in the play-offs. Have they ever won one play-off game on the road? They haven't? Then how good are they...........really?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from walton. Show walton's posts

In Response to 57 Wins:
    [QUOTE]I think that's what it takes to get home court advantage up to the 2nd round of the playoffs in the east.  If the Celtics only lose 4 games every month for 6 months then 57 wins is achievable.
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]
           Boston should win 57 games. There are alot of weak teams in the NBA and even some of the good teams don't play hard every night. What was Atlanta's road record last year?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to 57 Wins :        Boston should win 57 games. There are alot of weak teams in the NBA and even some of the good teams don't play hard every night. What was Atlanta's road record last year?
    Posted by walton[/QUOTE]

Hawks were 19-22 on the road last season.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from teh-n00b. Show teh-n00b's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 57 Wins :                Atlanta lost 4 in a row to Orlando in the play-offs last year. They are notoriously horrible on the road especially in big games. Orlando is still a dumb team. They'll find a way to lose. Miami is very weak in the middle. Okafor had 26 against them and Milsap had 46 tonite..............so what I'm saying is that a teams record and how GOOD they actually are can be two completely different things. I wouldn't worry about Atlanta in the long haul. Not sure if they've ever won a road game in the play-offs. Have they ever won one play-off game on the road? They haven't? Then how good are they...........really?
    Posted by walton[/QUOTE]

atlanta did win a road playoff game..... against milwaukee minus andrew bogut

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

I think 57 wins would definitely be a success.  I just don't think this team will achieve that.  I really don't think we will ever get everyone playing as healthy as they can during the season.  At some point, I anticipate Delonte being out with his back and JON being out with his knee and Shaq being out because he's Shaq.  That's for starters.  These important pieces being out means our starters will "have" to play more minutes.

Look at the minutes Doc is playing these guys so far.  You have to expect each of the Big Four will require some time off.  And we know KG usually takes his customary week or two off at some point during the season.  I anticipate the same for Paul and Rondo.  Doc might have to create an injury for Ray to get him some rest during the season (I predict a slightly sprained ankle).  And honestly, there is no reason for many of these guys to be expected to play 82 games during the season.

A few games missed here and there combined with frequent week/2 weeks missed games by important pieces will be what holds this team back.  We're very talented and hopefully by playoff time, everyone will be as healthy as they can be.

But we will not play guys with the slightest of injuries in attempts to get wins. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Hopefully Doc learned last year that homecourt advantage is important.

We need this bench to start playing better in order for the starters to get more rest. All these close games just don't allow it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonsucks69. Show bostonsucks69's posts

In Response to 57 Wins:
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

So games 6 and 7 of the finals will be in LA on the Lakers floor again. Good luck with that.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonsucks69. Show bostonsucks69's posts

[QUOTE]Hopefully Doc learned last year that homecourt advantage is important. We need this bench to start playing better in order for the starters to get more rest. All these close games just don't allow it.
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

Doc knows that but the Celtics are another year older this year and staying healthy and resting your older players Allen, Garnett, Pierce and the O'Neal boys during the regular season is a higher priority. So again it's likely you will fall short of getting the best record in the NBA again this season. Good luck trying to beat the Lakers without HCA.

Sections
Shortcuts