58 million Celts will be Lucky to:

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

58 million Celts will be Lucky to:

With more than 58 million already tied up with the big four, the Celtics will be Lucky to resign some of the free agents we have.  Green and D. West will be difficult to resign be cause there will be interest out there for them from other teams.  Glen Davis will generate some interest because he is a very good player and might be hard to resign because of the riff between him and doc that doc let get out of hand.  There is not money to sign the guys that could put us over the top or make us good enough to win 18.  As far as the bench goes, we did not have them long enough to see their value and in the playoffs doc did not explore and use much imagination concerning the bench.  He went the K. C. Jones route and stayed with the vets.  There were at least four or five bench players that seemed to fit very well with the Celts.  If we don't and we don't have the $$$$ then we should do our best to resign most of our bench which with training camp and playing time might just suprise many.  IN order:  West, Davis, Green, Pav., Krstic and Wafer.  Avery is way over valued and we will be lucky if he can contribute in any significant way to #18 this comming year.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Re: 58 million Celts will be Lucky to:

In Response to Re: 58 million Celts will be Lucky to::
    [QUOTE]Danny Ainge will not do anything to jeopardize the cap space for 2012. Ainge will not admit it but next season is the start of the rebuilding process.  We will know for sure during Draft night. 
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

He did an interview on WEEI where he essentially that knowing what the new CBA will look like that 2012 may be the earliest he would be able to add any significant players.

In 2012 there will be 4 players under contract - a point guard that can't shoot, a small forward near the end of his career, Bradley, and this coming year's draft pick.  So 4 players  and about 40 million to spend.  This somehow means that they will be in the running for someone or some group of special players?  Sorry, not so much.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 58 million Celts will be Lucky to: : He did an interview on WEEI where he essentially that knowing what the new CBA will look like that 2012 may be the earliest he would be able to add any significant players. In 2012 there will be 4 players under contract - a point guard that can't shoot, a small forward near the end of his career, Bradley, and this coming year's draft pick.  So 4 players  and about 40 million to spend.  This somehow means that they will be in the running for someone or some group of special players?  Sorry, not so much.
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]

When evaluating where players will sign via free agency, you have to look at what teams will have tons of cap space.  Other than a team such as New Jersey, I don't see many appealing destinations for prospective free agents, therefore with the ability to sign more than one elite player in 2012, and the cash to sign a 3rd elite player in 2014 (once Pierce's contract comes off the books), along with a top 5-6 point guard in Rondo, and a popular coach in Doc Rivers.... yes the C's will definately be in the running for some star players.  Whether or not this translates to Dwight Howard remains to be seen, but someone will take that cash, bet on it!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

The Celtics got Doc to sign a five year agreement to coach.  All you have to do is look at this fact and you know the rebuilding is already in place.  What happens with a few exceptions is already planned.  Doc saw the team could not win as constructed,  he knows injuries and age will undo them again. So be sure that DA and he have a formulated plan we just don't know about it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

In Response to 58 million Celts will be Lucky to::
    [QUOTE]With more than 58 million already tied up with the big four, the Celtics will be Lucky to resign some of the free agents we have.  Green and D. West will be difficult to resign be cause there will be interest out there for them from other teams.  Glen Davis will generate some interest because he is a very good player and might be hard to resign because of the riff between him and doc that doc let get out of hand.  There is not money to sign the guys that could put us over the top or make us good enough to win 18.  As far as the bench goes, we did not have them long enough to see their value and in the playoffs doc did not explore and use much imagination concerning the bench.  He went the K. C. Jones route and stayed with the vets.  There were at least four or five bench players that seemed to fit very well with the Celts.  If we don't and we don't have the $$$$ then we should do our best to resign most of our bench which with training camp and playing time might just suprise many.  IN order:  West, Davis, Green, Pav., Krstic and Wafer.  Avery is way over valued and we will be lucky if he can contribute in any significant way to #18 this comming year.
    Posted by maryngary[/QUOTE]

With regards to the current bench, I believe DWest will resign with us for a little bump because he loves Doc/DA and is beholden to the Celts for giving him another chance. Also, unless another team makes him a crazy offer, Green will be resigned to save face on 'the trade' and/or provide some sign & trade options. If Krstic is looking to double his salary from last year, then he'll be gone. The same with BBD if he's looking for starter money, so it's too bad that he waited to start eating chicken & kale instead of pasta & pancakes until after the season. Wafer should be back and I would like to see them take another chance on Sasha because of his age, size, and shooting (at times) but Doc may feel that he's not quick enough to defend the perimeter.

Either way, I got to think the Celts' FO has a plan A, B, and C ready.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

its starting to look like the pre Big 3 era...stockpile as many young bodies to make some blockbuster trades down the line.Whether that is enough to get Howard or some other stud, who knows for sure. But, it is going to be a bumpy  road for sure.

I can already hear the drums of  fire Doc and Danny threads...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]The Celtics got Doc to sign a five year agreement to coach.  All you have to do is look at this fact and you know the rebuilding is already in place.  What happens with a few exceptions is already planned.  Doc saw the team could not win as constructed,  he knows injuries and age will undo them again. So be sure that DA and he have a formulated plan we just don't know about it.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

I agree, Concord.  I believe Doc signed up because he, Danny, and Wyc all talked about a transition plan.

As for the MarynGary comment that Doc let the BBD rift get out of hand, I couldn't disagree more.  Doc backed BBD TOO much in my mind. He played him and had more faith in him that all of us would.  Doc told BBD what to do but in the end when BBD didn't deliver, Doc kept the faith in him and kept playing him.  He should have benched his Ash when BBD wasn't delivering!  If there's anyone to blame for that, its BBD for concentrating too much on his offense and for getting away from the dirty work underneath that made him so valuable to us when he was playing well.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

If we can keep the big four and resign West, Green, that sorry Glen Davis and Wafer , I think we are looking at 40+ wins next year and a run in the playoffs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Davis - .... seeeeeeeeeee yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!  Get a PF that can rebound and we become instantly better. 

West - It came very close to him actually not getting any suitors last year, and some believe it may have been over had the Celtics not brought him in.  I believe a fair deal will be reached, and he will comfortable play behind Rondo as the Combo guard.

Green - Restricted FA???  Another team would have to match C's offer, which I find unlikely.

As far as I am concerned, the question becomes can we keep Green and West? Yes, easily I believe.  Baby should and probably will walk.  Then can the C's sign and trade for another scorer is the only question in my mind. 

Jamal Crawford Is all the C's need to be competitve next year.  Replace baby with a PF that rebounds and plays hard underneath.  Kristic can be resigned at a minimum...

While some what if's prevail.... Green and West is all the C's really need to hold onto and they probably will. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

I agree with a lot of what Getzo had to say. I also think Delonte and Green will be resigned. I also agree that Big Baby won't be resigned. I'd prefer to see a pf that runs the floor well and rebounds well. I'd like to see Wafer resigned. Krstic is a good possibility of being resigned. It will be interesting as to what the C's can do with this years mid level exception. I love Jamal Crawfords offensive game. He's a scoring machine. However I think he's worth more than the mid-level exception. Some team will give him a big multi year contract.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]I agree with a lot of what Getzo had to say. I also think Delonte and Green will be resigned. I also agree that Big Baby won't be resigned. I'd prefer to see a pf that runs the floor well and rebounds well. I'd like to see Wafer resigned. Krstic is a good possibility of being resigned. It will be interesting as to what the C's can do with this years mid level exception. I love Jamal Crawfords offensive game. He's a scoring machine. However I think he's worth more than the mid-level exception. Some team will give him a big multi year contract.
    Posted by mem17[/QUOTE]

It's really simple.....

Getting Crawford is extremely difficult part, but that's the only question mark as rebuilding for next year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]The Celtics got Doc to sign a five year agreement to coach.  All you have to do is look at this fact and you know the rebuilding is already in place.  What happens with a few exceptions is already planned.  Doc saw the team could not win as constructed,  he knows injuries and age will undo them again. So be sure that DA and he have a formulated plan we just don't know about it.

I agree with you.  I don't believe Doc would have agreed to sign for five years if he thought that this team wouldn't have a chance to compete and be a relevant team by improving the roster. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to 58 million Celts will be Lucky to::
    [QUOTE]With more than 58 million already tied up with the big four, the Celtics will be Lucky to resign some of the free agents we have.  Green and D. West will be difficult to resign be cause there will be interest out there for them from other teams.  Glen Davis will generate some interest because he is a very good player and might be hard to resign because of the riff between him and doc that doc let get out of hand.  There is not money to sign the guys that could put us over the top or make us good enough to win 18.  As far as the bench goes, we did not have them long enough to see their value and in the playoffs doc did not explore and use much imagination concerning the bench.  He went the K. C. Jones route and stayed with the vets.  There were at least four or five bench players that seemed to fit very well with the Celts.  If we don't and we don't have the $$$$ then we should do our best to resign most of our bench which with training camp and playing time might just suprise many.  IN order:  West, Davis, Green, Pav., Krstic and Wafer.  Avery is way over valued and we will be lucky if he can contribute in any significant way to #18 this comming year.

thank you.  a coach is supposed to bring things together.  most all of what doc has done with regard to davis is sell him out one sound bite at a time to the press, all the while looking the other way with regard to other players, like sheed wallace, who were paid more money who didn't show up for a whole season.  Somehow, glen davis' "incident" was worth going to the press over but sheed's flabby blubbery boobkies and obvious lack of effort were "kept inside the locker room".

classy, doc.  what a jerk.  if i was davis, that would be an unforgiveable offense for me.  davis retaliated when he was struck.  nobody struck sheed into showing up a flat blob and not trying.  yet the flustered doc is cutting promo's into a microphone that he's "at the end of his rope" with davis and such.

screw you doc rivers.  treat people the same.  what is the major malfunction with glen davis?  just tell us.  all i see in interviews and games and hear from any other players is that davis is an affable kid who tries harder and hustles more than most two or three NBA veterans combined.

anybody on this?  is davis a really bad apple?  or just "fat" and therefore subject to unconditional disdain, doc style?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Davis was under consideration for the sixth man of the year, he was a top charge taker in the NBA, he improved his scoring and shooting this year, he brought a toughness to the team, he played position defense very well, he know and understands our defence and offence sets which takes a lot of time to learn, he played center out of position for us a lot this year and did a good job or a great job if you consider his size, he got tough rebounds for us even though we shot a good percentage, he was one of our few players that could go one on one, he was a huge part of our regular season, and the truth is he just got fed up with the comments of coaches and uninformed posters, I do not mind seeing him go to another team but it is not going to be as easy to replace him and what he did for us for TWO MILLION DOLLARS, which is cheap, just show we a player that has his knowledge of our systems and can produce like he did for two million and I say go get him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrleftfoot. Show jrleftfoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to 58 million Celts will be Lucky to: : With regards to the current bench, I believe DWest will resign with us for a little bump because he loves Doc/DA and is beholden to the Celts for giving him another chance. Also, unless another team makes him a crazy offer, Green will be resigned to save face on 'the trade' and/or provide some sign & trade options. If Krstic is looking to double his salary from last year, then he'll be gone. The same with BBD if he's looking for starter money, so it's too bad that he waited to start eating chicken & kale instead of pasta & pancakes until after the season. Wafer should be back and I would like to see them take another chance on Sasha because of his age, size, and shooting (at times) but Doc may feel that he's not quick enough to defend the perimeter. Either way, I got to think the Celts' FO has a plan A, B, and C ready.
    Posted by wfdog[/QUOTE]
    I agree with everything you said.Arroyo wouldn`t hurt for small money.(He`s better than Bibby at this stage in his career.)Can shoot a little and run the offense.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

You obviously did not hear Danny's WEEI interview, right?

The one where he said - we are not well positioned for adding anything right now.

Where he said - Doc is a coach, a coach at heart - he would be the coach regardless of the organization's goal - if our goal was to just make the playoffs Doc would be the coach, if we were rebuilding Doc would be the coach, and so on.

I find it amazing how people think Danny has some sort of crystal ball that allows him to peer into and understand what the new CBA will cause (which he said he doesn't) and that he already has players and deals in play, etc.

What we have seen is that he quite often misses badly in the draft and that almost a result of sheer luck having two expiring contracts and a bunch of bit players to lure Ray and KG.

That is what I refer to his once in a career move...... people are delusional to think that because it happened once that it is a routine event.

Please go back in NBA history (in the salary cap era) and make a list for me all of the times where a team had a strong nucleus and as it was being dismantled the team restocked with superstars and a continuance of excellence just went on and on.  Go ahead make the list - should only take about 2 seconds?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 58 million Celts will be Lucky to: : All this from the guy who said the Cs would never be able to get anything for the young players we traded for Garnett.
    Posted by Kirk6[/QUOTE]

Exactly and they would not have been able to had they not had two huge expiring contracts.... the players were throw ins.  Not one of the players has ever even gotten a sniff at an all-star game, etc.  I believe only Al Jefferson is even a starter.  And people like you were predicting that with Jefferson, Perk, Gomes, West, Green, Greene, Pierce, etc. that they would have been contending for titles and probably would have won 1 by 2008.  I distinctly remember threads with titles like contend in 2007 and then start winning titles in 2008, etc.  Absolutely laughable.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

after he's gone, people will start realizing that we had a good thing.  not a perfect player but a unique guy who was the premier help defender in the league who could do a lot of things capably, including mashing around on the large elite centers in the league. 

i just don't understand how people can have so much disdain for a guy who by all accounts of his style of play and hustle was cut from the classic celtic cloth of a grit guy.  all i come up with is that people really feel free to hate on those who they deem "fat".  what a shame. 

i almost wish davis moved on to a team with a coach who would actually like to have him.  and if he does, i wish him the best.  another classless move by the c's if he goes, just like when they dumped clifford ray in the swamp with a badly hurt foot. 

[QUOTE]Davis was under consideration for the sixth man of the year, he was a top charge taker in the NBA, he improved his scoring and shooting this year, he brought a toughness to the team, he played position defense very well, he know and understands our defence and offence sets which takes a lot of time to learn, he played center out of position for us a lot this year and did a good job or a great job if you consider his size, he got tough rebounds for us even though we shot a good percentage, he was one of our few players that could go one on one, he was a huge part of our regular season, and the truth is he just got fed up with the comments of coaches and uninformed posters, I do not mind seeing him go to another team but it is not going to be as easy to replace him and what he did for us for TWO MILLION DOLLARS, which is cheap, just show we a player that has his knowledge of our systems and can produce like he did for two million and I say go get him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 58 million Celts will be Lucky to: : I agree, Concord.  I believe Doc signed up because he, Danny, and Wyc all talked about a transition plan. As for the MarynGary comment that Doc let the BBD rift get out of hand, I couldn't disagree more.  Doc backed BBD TOO much in my mind. He played him and had more faith in him that all of us would.  Doc told BBD what to do but in the end when BBD didn't deliver, Doc kept the faith in him and kept playing him.  He should have benched his Ash when BBD wasn't delivering!  If there's anyone to blame for that, its BBD for concentrating too much on his offense and for getting away from the dirty work underneath that made him so valuable to us when he was playing well.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]
    this is a beautiful steaming blob of hypocrisy.  by that standard, rondo's benching for being an incmopetent offensive player and free throw shooter is five years late, right?  why is that?

how about when sheed showed up with more boobes on him than you find in the average golden bananna dancer?  what about that?  was sheed benched or suspended for conditioning issues so he could get his crap together?  nope.  why dat? 

oh, i see.  this song of "bench his ash when he doesn't deliver" only applies to.... davis.  if you think rondo hasn't and sheed didn't KILL this teams at various times over their respective tenures, you're crazy.  the combined effect of just rondo's unbridled incompetence is much more than anything davis has done or ever will do.  yet people turn the other cheek for some more incompetence and few say anything.

nice job!  i see how this meritocracy works...

Sections
Shortcuts