7 Days of Rest & Recuperation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rayman7. Show rayman7's posts

7 Days of Rest & Recuperation

With the night off Monday and hopefully playing sparse minutes before the home crowd on Wednesday, Doc basically wrangled nearly seven days of rest and recuperation for the Big 3 and Rondo.  This is huge.

Rondo especially needs to get his battery recharged, as does Ray, but they all do with all the minutes they've played and the all intensity they've brought.

Perhaps they did mail it in after the trade, after they saw that the bench could not hold a lead, maybe they were acting out as a team on a subconscious level in reaction to a trade that they viewed as a betrayal.  Who knows?

But now we will find out if the trade broke the back and spirit of this team of if they will respond as professionals and step up their game to where it should be.

For that to happen it all rides on Rondo's shoulders, for if he plays as he's played for the last month, all is lost, but if he is able to commit and come back reinvigorated we can still go to the Finals.

But without Rondo playing up to his highest level the Celtics are a very vulnerable team.

I think they come out against the Knicks like a team all fired up that has put the regular season behind them.

Go Celts!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Re: 7 Days of Rest & Recuperation

This Rest is the best decision made by Doc this year.  This will allow us to be fresh and to be able to score with the knicks and play our trademark defense that will have us in the low 90's and high 80's,,when they score in between 120-130 points, they are hard to beat.  I would rest Shaq until the 2nd round.  JON has shown capable enought right now....no need to rush him back..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from allen2034. Show allen2034's posts

In Response to Re: 7 Days of Rest & Recuperation:
    [QUOTE]This Rest is the best decision made by Doc this year.  This will allow us to be fresh and to be able to score with the knicks and play our trademark defense that will have us in the low 90's and high 80's,,when they score in between 120-130 points, they are hard to beat.  I would rest Shaq until the 2nd round.  JON has shown capable enought right now....no need to rush him back..
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]
    i totally agree shaq should come back 2nd round...i would hate for him to come in the 1st round and get injured in game 3...i rather get a few games in the 2nd round before he gets injured...unless a miracle happens and the diesel will be healthy the entire playoffs!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Drink those protein shakes, and start practicing free thrwos, and jump shots.... scout the knicks, and get ready for Miaimi on hwta worked and failed.  plenty of rest should do them well, and hopefully we beat NY 4-1, 4-2 to get additional rest if possible. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rayman7. Show rayman7's posts

I think a sweep would be nice and would suffice.  It would give everyone some extra days rest and give Shaq some time to run and practice and Delonte's ankle to heal.

I think the Knicks are sweepable because they are totally lacking on defense.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

[QUOTE]It's simple, just like in 2008, when Ray struggles Jeff Green plays SF, Pierce plays SG, and Ray sits.
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

Exactly! Thats what I and others have been saying, start JG at the 3 and Pierce at the 2, when Ray is struggling. Ray coming off the bench will give him more energy.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

That idea has some merit (Paul at 2 and Green at 3), but it ain't going to happen to start games.  That's like......trading Perkins!  It disrupts a team built on chemistry and love for each other and knowing where they'll all be on Defense.  Doc just won't give up the pony that got him there - Rondo, Ray, Paul, and KG.  I bet money he won't do it.

The way for him to do it without disruption is in the substitution pattern.   First, get Ray some shots early in the game.  Then,  Mid way through the first quarter, move paul to 2 and bring in Green at 3.  Run that way until mid-second quarter when Ray comes back.  This way, he doesn't disrupt his starting lineup and anger KG and Paul over Ray's not starting for a guy who just got there and doesn't know the defensive rotations.  I can see them already upset over at Danny over the Perk thing and then Doc takes out Ray.  talk about a mutiny!!!  

Let Jeff play a lot more minutes, but not to start the game.

One man's opinion.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rayman7. Show rayman7's posts

[QUOTE]That idea has some merit (Paul at 2 and Green at 3), but it ain't going to happen to start games.  That's like......trading Perkins!  It disrupts a team built on chemistry and love for each other and knowing where they'll all be on Defense.  Doc just won't give up the pony that got him there - Rondo, Ray, Paul, and KG.  I bet money he won't do it. The way for him to do it without disruption is in the substitution pattern.   First, get Ray some shots early in the game.  Then,  Mid way through the first quarter, move paul to 2 and bring in Green at 3.  Run that way until mid-second quarter when Ray comes back.  This way, he doesn't disrupt his starting lineup and anger KG and Paul over Ray's not starting for a guy who just got there and doesn't know the defensive rotations.  I can see them already upset over at Danny over the Perk thing and then Doc takes out Ray.  talk about a mutiny!!!   Let Jeff play a lot more minutes, but not to start the game. One man's opinion.

Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

Thoughtful answer but there is a reason that Ray averages 37 minutes per night and Jeff Green has barely made any impact at all.  green plays with no confidence most of the time, save the losing effort Monday.

Secondly, Ray's struggles of late have more to do with Rondo's struggles in the last month and with the team's struggles to move the ball effectively, and with getting appropriate touches in the appropriate places.  Couple that with the massive amount of minutes he has played with the considerable number of minutes he has logged with a near dysfunctional second unit and his recent struggles begin to come into context.

In no way do I consider Jeff Green to be a more effective player than Ray, and the idea of starting Green over Ray strikes me as, as ludicrous and wrong headed an idea as I've heard all season.

All these guys needed a rest, none more so than Ray and Rondo, who together lead the team in minutes played, one 25 years old the other 35, and averaged around 37 and 37.5 minutes a game up until this week.

The rest they're getting this week is huge, and the additional rest a sweep would bring would be even better.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rayman7. Show rayman7's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7 Days of Rest & Recuperation : Jeff Green gets more rebounds, he has more length than Ray, he runs faster and jumps higher than Ray. Ray Allen is the greatest shooter in NBA history, but if his shots are not falling he becomes a non-factor and doesn't contribute in any other way. Ray Allen does not initiate contact and draw fouls. Nor is he a defensive player like Bruce Bowen. And we really don't want Ray to be dribbling and making passes because we all know it will just result in a turnover. Remember, Ray Allen is going to be 36 years old in a few months. There's a reason why old players get replaced by young players. 

Wrong on all counts.

". . . there is a reason that Ray averages 37 minutes per night and Jeff Green has barely made any impact at all.  green plays with no confidence most of the time, . . . "

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

As Doc said, he does not buy into the rest issue, these are the most conditioned athletes in the world.

The focus will return in the play-offs.

Think of the time off as "mental-floss".

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7 Days of Rest & Recuperation : Jeff Green gets more rebounds, he has more length than Ray, he runs faster and jumps higher than Ray. Ray Allen is the greatest shooter in NBA history, but if his shots are not falling he becomes a non-factor and doesn't contribute in any other way. Ray Allen does not initiate contact and draw fouls. Nor is he a defensive player like Bruce Bowen. And we really don't want Ray to be dribbling and making passes because we all know it will just result in a turnover. Remember, Ray Allen is going to be 36 years old in a few months. There's a reason why old players get replaced by young players. 

Apples and oranges comparisons.  Its like saying Rondo gets more assists than Ray or Paul.  Its like saying KG averages more rebounds than Paul.  Its like saying KG jumps higher than Rondo or BBD gets more rebounds than Paul.  Each is just doing his job so he BETTER average more of what he's paid to do!  

Ray and Green play different positions and they bring different skills.  Green is 6'9" tall and plays 3/4.  If he doesn't get more rebounds than Ray and jump higher than Ray (who is a 2), then Green would be a flop!   Likewise, if Ray can't out shoot Green, then Ray's a flop.   They are at different positions.  If Green had to guard Kobe and Wade and Manu, he'll get smoked.  Ray's not a great defender, but he does fine on these guys when he has to (just ask Kobe about last year's final series!).   

Let's not debate the team's players as one or the other.  Instead, I hope Doc finds ways to use them all for their strengths.  And Ray will be fine.  Just watch him play better in the playoffs.

And whoever said Ray's troubles have a lot to do with Rondo's is right.  Ray needs Rondo the PG to get him the ball in the right position and to look his way sometimes in the game.....and to be a threat so that Ray isn't double teamed all the time.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Knicks-Power. Show Knicks-Power's posts

[QUOTE]Drink those protein shakes, and start practicing free thrwos, and jump shots.... scout the knicks, and get ready for Miaimi on hwta worked and failed.  plenty of rest should do them well, and hopefully we beat NY 4-1, 4-2 to get additional rest if possible. 
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

And the sun will rise in the West before the Celtics beat us 4-2.  We have playoff experience. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rayman7. Show rayman7's posts

I think anyone who suggests that Doc start Green ahead of Allen at this time is completey nuts.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BS10FAN. Show BS10FAN's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7 Days of Rest & Recuperation : Exactly! Thats what I and others have been saying, start JG at the 3 and Pierce at the 2, when Ray is struggling. Ray coming off the bench will give him more energy.
    Posted by CelticFanLA[/QUOTE]

I agree Ray looked lost against Miami..lacking energy and cannot get open..but will Doc do this?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ender587. Show Ender587's posts

"We have playoff experience..."  Lol what a joke.  *News Flash*  The Celtics are one of the most versed teams in the way of the playoffs.. of all time.  Thank you that is all.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rayman7. Show rayman7's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7 Days of Rest & Recuperation :   I agree Ray looked lost against Miami..lacking energy and cannot get open..but will Doc do this?

Posted by BS10FAN[/QUOTE]

I beg to disagree.

To reiterate, Ray's struggles of late have more to do with Rondo's struggles in the last month and with the team's struggles to move the ball effectively, and with getting appropriate touches in the appropriate places.  Couple that with the massive amount of minutes he has played with the considerable number of minutes he has logged with a near dysfunctional second unit and his recent struggles begin to come into context.

All the starters need rest, to focus on Ray as being a problem and Green as the solution is as wrongheaded an idea as I have ever heard.  Start Green ahead of Allen?  Thank the gods we have professionals running the team and not fans.

It will not happen nor should it.

These are the very same people who insisted on trading Ray two years ago at the deadline.  Somehow, whenever the C's begin to struggle, some people want to focus on Ray as being the problem.  Wrong!

The C's problem has been Rondo's poor performance, and all the subsequent problems stem from Rondo's failure to perform at his previous high level.

If the driving wheel is broken the engine breaks down:  don't blame the spokes when the main gear is at fault.

-