8 Straight Finals Losses an NBA Record

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Re: Laker 8-peat

In Response to Re: Laker 8-peat:
    so, the golden age of baseball started with free agency...?  OK by me......the golden (modern) age of basketball started with the shot clock....also OK by me!!  .....Russ, I think you're on to something here...... I love this argument....."my team is better than yours"....."because.....well, um....my team can't beat yours very often....but we beat the other teams more often".....how funny (and ridiculous) is that thinking...? I guess Joe Frazier and George Foreman were better than Ali as well.....?
    Posted by Duke4

I love that Celtics fans can admit how great the lakers are, but the converse is not true.......doesn't make this fun for me at all, just annoying!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

There can be only one explanation for a user that will delete his own comment and repost it repeatedly in order to have the final post in a thread. 

Arrested development.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Laker 8-peat : That's where you are wrong! The Celtics had to play the Pistons, Sixers, Hawks, Knicks, and Bulls in the 80s. If you didn't know those teams had Isiah Thomas and the Bad Boys, Dominique, Bernard King then Patrick Ewing, and MJ and Pippen. Who were the Lakers up against in the west in the 80s? The Sonics and Xavier McDaniel? A Mavs team led by Rolando Blackman? Only the Rockets were considered a championship caliber team in the west back then. Are you still having a hard time accepting the fact that the Celtics still have the edge over the Lakers in the finals and regular season? Poor you. lol
    Posted by Tachometrix

Don't forget Bob Laniers Bucs please!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Right again Red..........Milwaukee.....part of the original "Big Four" of the '80's NBA.....later they were replaced by Detroit.... throughout the '80's there were only a handful of teams that were considered to have a shot at the title year after year ...the majority of those teams resided in the East.....

The Celtics......Moses and the "Fo Fo Fo" Sixers.....Bob Lanier's Bucks....later the "Bad Boy" Pistons...

The West had the Lakers.....the Houston Rockets got the privilege of losing to the Celts twice....other legit contenders out West...?  Nope! .....not during the '80's .....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Magic was also without Worthy and Scott for that series. That said Chicago would have still been favourites to win even if we were at full strength. Both Worthy and Scott were absent from game 3 on which had dire consequences for the team.

At that point it was 2-1.

Portland did become the contender from The West for three years but it wasn't until the 89/90 season. And someway we ended up beating them in 90/91 which was a huge accomplishment considering how good that Blazers team was.

Was a bit like the Celtics beating Detroit in 86/87 to make the finals. Older team beating the more fancied and healthier younger team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Thing about the 80's in the East while there were more 'competitive' teams out there, there was a line of succession.

80 Sixers
    81 Celtics (the anomaly in this list)
    82 Sixers
    83 Sixers
    84 Celtics
    85 Celtics
    87 Celtics
    88 Pistons
    89 Pistons
    90 Bulls

If not for the comeback by Boston in '81 the Sixers would have made it to four finals in a row. Personally I think Boston peaked early in '81 and couldn't replicate this form for a couple of seasons. While good they didn't appear to be able to get past Philadelphia.

You also have the pattern of the Eastern Conference Champion losing their title to the 'new' team on the block. This was seen in '81 but not sure if was the case in '84. However it was there in '88 and '90. With the Pistons coming very close in '87.

So while the conference did have more 'champion' teams in the decade there really does seem to have been a rather clear line of succession in the East.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

In Response to Re: Laker 8-peat : The Lakers didn't dominate the in the 80s. Losing to 3 different east teams is an indication that it was not dominance. They just won more titles than any other team. However, the Shaq era is a different story. The NBA had to change the rules after Shaq got his 2nd title in 2001. I mean no team in the east or west could stop Shaq with the old rules. 
    Posted by Fiercest34

Making the finals 8 times in the 80's was an incredible accomplishment. We were beaten by better sides in '83 and '84. '84 being perhaps the best series of the ones we lost as it was competitive unlike '83 and '89.

However in '89 we were beaten by without Magic and Byron Scott. The Pistons won in 4 and may well have won the series if Magic and Byron were there. However it would not have been a sweep.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Man I can't wait for the season to start. Every time I come over here all I see is the latest Laker-Celtic slap fight.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

it's too bad that the Celts tanked against the Bucks in '83......that team was rebelling against Fitch (...well most of the team...Bird still had his back)....they were swept and Fitch was fired...along comes KC and all of a sudden the Celts go to the Finals four years in a row....in '83 might well have added another banner to the rafters!!  ......chemistry can go a long way...

Worthy........welcome back my friend....you have been missed!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakersavenger. Show lakersavenger's posts

With the ridiculous two playoff rounds of the 50's and 60's the Celtics successes are irrelevant or at the most very very questionable. Those Celtics would be hardpressed to win even one title today. Conversely, todays teams would demolish those nutter-wearing midgets.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dirty52. Show dirty52's posts

In Response to Re: Laker 8-peat : The Lakers didn't dominate the in the 80s. Losing to 3 different east teams is an indication that it was not dominance. They just won more titles than any other team. However, the Shaq era is a different story. The NBA had to change the rules after Shaq got his 2nd title in 2001. I mean no team in the east or west could stop Shaq with the old rules. 
    Posted by Fiercest34

But they also beat those three east teams in the finals

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dirty52. Show dirty52's posts

Posted by Fiercest34

You have a interesting spin on things, the Lakers beat the best of the east in the 80's and you do not consider that dominating? Unless you consider the teams that went to the finals not the best

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I definitely think that the '80's Lakers were the dominant team....I only wish the Celtics '83 team didn't quit on Fitch.....and the injuries to the '87 team were devastating...but to the victors go the spoils...the Lakers were the greatest team in the '80's.....I have no problem with that at all!!! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dirty52. Show dirty52's posts

I definitely think that the '80's Lakers were the dominant team....I only wish the Celtics '83 team didn't quit on Fitch.....and the injuries to the '87 team were devastating...but to the victors go the spoils...the Lakers were the greatest team in the '80's.....I have no problem with that at all!!! 
    Posted by Duke4

I know you don't have a problem with it Duke , but some people do

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Laker 8-peat : I know you don't have a problem with it Duke , but some people do
    Posted by dirty52

Fierce is messin' with ya!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LakerFan67. Show LakerFan67's posts

The Lakers track record speaks for itself. They were the team of the 80s and the 2000s. Championships don't lie. Celtic fans always have to go back to ancient history to exhume those old artifacts to pound on their inflated chests to scream about how "great" the Celtics have been. 

When? With 1 itty, bitty title in the 2000s to the Lakers 5. It's understanble to talk about a half-century ago when there isn't much to be said about the recent past.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I chuckle when fans talk about the Celtic history being all in the past......it makes me wonder.....aren't Yankee fans proud of the great teams from the '20's through the early '60's...?

....remember, after the '62 win over the Giants, the Yankees went on to win twice ('77/'78) in the next 33 years.....I guess fans of other teams were taunting Yankee fans with words such as "the old franchise is washed up" huh....?

....it reminds me of the Philly chants in '67...."Hey Red, your old men are dead"...and sure enough, Philly bounced the Celts....of course the boys in green came back and won four more titles over the next nine years!

I remember growing up and watching all of my Yankee buddies just looking at guys and laughing....it took a long while but their time came again didn't it...?  ....I'd say that winning a title along with a game seven road loss and being a contender again has made me enjoy watching these last four years...and if KG didn't suffer the injury....who knows, we could be at 20 titles by now....just speculation....anyway....being a lifelong Celtic fan....yeah, it's all good!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakersavenger. Show lakersavenger's posts

It appears "the avenger" is back!  Ignore 67 - the year of the Sox!!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11

Hey, how about them Sox?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LakerFan67. Show LakerFan67's posts

The Lakers won 1 title in the 70s? That's your comeback? Huh :)

Ancient history! Who cares? This is 2011. Let me repeat for you celtic fans. It's 2011 not 1960 or 1965 or 1969. It's 2011.

Most of you that want to celebrate a dinosaur, a relic, a mummy, an era where 99% were not even born to resurrect a period when there were only 8 TEAMS, be my guest. Get the shovels out, start digging til your hearts desire.

You even tried to bring in another relic, one Shaq O'Neal who's days as the most powerful force in the league were past him as a way to pray for another title FAILED. ONE ITY BITTY TITLE in the 2000s. :(

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

yep....that sounds like "avenger"...ok.....bye kiddo....keep holding onto your dream....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LakerFan67. Show LakerFan67's posts

I don't care where the Lakers or the Celtics will be 20 years from now. I live for NOW. No one can predict the future.

The 2000s was a great era for the Lakers. No other team won more titles. While Celtic fans keep basking in the 60s, most b-ball fans are well aware of what happened in this era.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

You know what's funny to me guys....? this thread is now several years old...it was started by a Laker fan who cited an article written by Mr (I love the Lakers) Hollinger....he said that the Lakers were the greatest franchise in league history....Celtic fans have proven that statement wrong, citing clear evidence that favors Boston....now (and this is the comical part in my opinion) Laker fans don't care about history....only recent history is important.......so both teams are 1-1 head to head over the last four years (Lakers have a 2-1 edge in titles)...Lakers hold the edge in the '00's and '80's....Celtics hold the edge in the '70's, '60's, and 50's.....while also being a superpower in the '80's...neither team won in the '90's.but, guess what?  .........those decades no longer count in the team comparisons....well, except the early '50's before the modern (shot clock) era began....yes, those five titles won in Minneapolis mean a great deal to Laker fans....our titles over the next 30 years....? nah, not so much......they aren't important to the kids....that's why most of the kids are on ignore....they talk a lot but say very little.....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakersavenger. Show lakersavenger's posts

You know what's funny to me guys....? this thread is now several years old...it was started by a Laker fan who cited an article written by Mr (I love the Lakers) Hollinger....he said that the Lakers were the greatest franchise in league history ....Celtic fans have proven that statement wrong, citing clear evidence that favors Boston....now (and this is the comical part in my opinion) Laker fans don't care about history ....only recent history is important....so both teams are 1-1 over the last four years (Lakers have a 2-1 edge)...Lakers hold the edge in the '00's and '80's....Celtics hold the edge in the '70's, '60's, and 50's.....while also being a superpower in the '80's...neither team won in the '90's.but, guess what?  .........those decades no longer count in the team comparisons....well, except the early '50's before the modern (shot clock) era began....yes, those five titles won in Minneapolis mean a great deal to Laker fans....our titles over the next 30 years....? nah......they aren't important to the kids....that's why most of the kids are on ignore....they talk a lot but say very little.....
    Posted by Duke4

You keep saying "they" are on ignore then you keep responding to their comments. Duke is the most disgusting oldfart on this site. Constantly coming up with obscure, meaningless stats to prove nothing. Why not come out with stats to prove how Jack Dempsey was the all time best? I'm sure he can twist more stuff to "prove" the Red Sox are the all time best, but we all know how that turned out, by far the biggest collapse in sports history. Duke is probably wearing his celtic nutters right now as he reads this. The old goat.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

zhyte4brains L'Avenger doesn't realize he's in bdc imposed timeout. chortle, guffaw. here's his latest negative attention seeking missive at 10:28 AM EDT, featuring duke:

You keep saying "they" are on ignore then you keep responding to their comments. Duke is the most disgusting oldfart on this site. Constantly coming up with obscure, meaningless stats to prove nothing. Why not come out with stats to prove how Jack Dempsey was the all time best? I'm sure he can twist more stuff to "prove" the Red Sox are the all time best, but we all know how that turned out, by far the biggest collapse in sports history. Duke is probably wearing his celtic nutters right now as he reads this. The old goat. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Good one, BP - but I think the all-time biggest collapse is still the Yankees being up 3-0 and ahead in the 8th inning in 2004, only to lose 4 in a row!
    Followed closely by the 76'ers being up 3-1 on Larry's team, only to lose 3 in a row- that was playoffs, much bigger
    The Sox, while it was a big choke, had no leadership, no pitching, Youkilis hurt, and Francona thinking of leaving - collapses are much bigger in the playoffs, wouldn't you agree?

Sections
Shortcuts