A Big Man Away?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Re: A Big Man Away?

In Response to A Big Man Away?:
    [QUOTE]You guys are underestimating what an All-Star big man can do. I just watched the Spurs shock the Clips tonight. A Spurs team with Duncan, Matt Bonner, Gary Neal, Danny Green, and Tony Parker beat the Clips in overtime. I mean Neal, Green, and Bonner are just bench players if they were on another team.  What makes the Spurs so great? Tony Parker and Duncan.  Tonight, when Duncan got the ball in the low post the Clips had to double or triple team him. That's why one of the shooters get open. Neal, Bonner, and Green are all excellent 3-point shooters, by the way. Tony Parker is a scoring machine, he scored at will from drives to the basket and pull up jumpers. And every time he got fouled, Parker made them pay from the FT line, he was 8-11 from the FT line tonight.  Tim Duncan was not dominating on offense tonight, only 11 points. But the mere fact that he was a threat from the low post made the Clips double team him.  That's where the Celtics get no respect, in the low post. The opposing teams are shutting down Ray Allen and Paul Pierce because the opposing teams know the Celts can only score from the perimeter or the outside.  The Celts can't also play 2-man basketball with Rondo because Rondo is not a excellent shooter from 18 feet or beyond. The Celts are a great defensive team and they're also an excellent shooting team. Having an All-Star big man can do wonders for this Celts team. 
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

Wow... another gigantic revelation......

Go to aisle 23 at your local Wal*Mart and grab a great big man.........  p.s. the Cs have been playing 3 against 5 for years....

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]You guys are underestimating what an All-Star big man can do. I just watched the Spurs shock the Clips tonight. A Spurs team with Duncan, Matt Bonner, Gary Neal, Danny Green, and Tony Parker beat the Clips in overtime. I mean Neal, Green, and Bonner are just bench players if they were on another team.  What makes the Spurs so great? Tony Parker and Duncan.  Tonight, when Duncan got the ball in the low post the Clips had to double or triple team him. That's why one of the shooters get open. Neal, Bonner, and Green are all excellent 3-point shooters, by the way. Tony Parker is a scoring machine, he scored at will from drives to the basket and pull up jumpers. And every time he got fouled, Parker made them pay from the FT line, he was 8-11 from the FT line tonight.  Tim Duncan was not dominating on offense tonight, only 11 points. But the mere fact that he was a threat from the low post made the Clips double team him.  That's where the Celtics get no respect, in the low post. The opposing teams are shutting down Ray Allen and Paul Pierce because the opposing teams know the Celts can only score from the perimeter or the outside.  The Celts can't also play 2-man basketball with Rondo because Rondo is not a excellent shooter from 18 feet or beyond. The Celts are a great defensive team and they're also an excellent shooting team. Having an All-Star big man can do wonders for this Celts team. 

Having a Tony Parker might help too.

Pud

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from docomospur. Show docomospur's posts

I'm willing to gamble with that, Fiercest, but it remains to be seen if any team's willing to tango. I know you've linked to Kupchak's remarks but we'll see if he's gonna do more than talk (assuming it's not actually Danny who's holding back).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: A Big Man Away?:
    [QUOTE]Back in January of 2008 the Lakers were just a 4-5 seed in the west. After they got Pau Gasol in February the Lakers went from 4-5 to the #1 seed in the west.  Just one big man turned a middle of the pack team into a championship team.

Exactly how else can we re-write history...... the Lakers were really really bad after Shaq left and it enabled them to be so bad they drafted Bynum in the top 10.... Bynum is ummmm..... an ummmm an all-star who leads the league in rebounds and is debatably the best center in the league when you factor in Howard's inability to make freebies and his limited offensive game..... yes... getting Gasol turned them into being a championship team........ when you write what you write do you just pretend that nobody has a brain and thinks that they will believe what you say and do not have the ability to see and analyze what actually happened as opposed to your minimal uninformed position?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fields4. Show Fields4's posts

Tim Duncan is not just an All Star, he's an All Time Great and still effective.
    And by the way it was a great game to watch for the neutral fans!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

[QUOTE]I'm willing to gamble with that, Fiercest, but it remains to be seen if any team's willing to tango. I know you've linked to Kupchak's remarks but we'll see if he's gonna do more than talk (assuming it's not actually Danny who's holding back).
    Posted by docomospur[/QUOTE]

good point...now the celts just need DA to aquire an allstar big man w/o giving up any current good players....no problem

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

p.s. posters love to wax poetic about how the Cs would have won a second title had Perk not gotten hurt in game 6..... if Bynum was at 100% there would have been no game 6......  I believe at about 50% Bynum had 21 points, 14 boards, and 7 blocks against "the best defensive center in the league".... people love to talk about how Howard says that Perk provided the best defense against him.....  so Perk provided the best defense against the league's best defensive center that had no offensive game at the time.... that is like saying that someone that could see was better that someone that could not.....  the worst offensive center in the league says that Perk provided the best defense......  lmfao

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

what fierce fails to realize is this current team IS a big man away from being elite. problem is, you get rid of kg, we take a step back defensively. you give Rondo (THE BEST PLAYER ON THE TEAM), you dont expect the team to take a step back???

dont give me the "we did fine when rondo was out" garbage, the bulls are something like 7-2 without derrick rose but its obvious they are a diff team with him then without him.

we need a big man, but DA needs to get creative and figure out how to get one without getting rid of rondo, kg, jjj(too much upside), or pietrus (too valuable at the backup 2 nd 3).

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]what fierce fails to realize is this current team IS a big man away from being elite. problem is, you get rid of kg, we take a step back defensively. you give Rondo (THE BEST PLAYER ON THE TEAM), you dont expect the team to take a step back??? dont give me the "we did fine when rondo was out" garbage, the bulls are something like 7-2 without derrick rose but its obvious they are a diff team with him then without him. we need a big man, but DA needs to get creative and figure out how to get one without getting rid of rondo, kg, jjj(too much upside), or pietrus (too valuable at the backup 2 nd 3).
    Posted by JamezHill24[/QUOTE]

Exactly because Rondo is just going to keep getting better, he is the same player he was 6 years ago when he entered the league but he will get better - I promise.... and JJJ has so much potential he was not drafted by every other team in the league... he has the potential to be Hakim Warrick or a bunch of other meaningless irrelevant players that would have gotten "it" much sooner than their 4 years at a BIG 10 school...... being at a BIG 10 school for 4 years is like being in the SEC for 20 years.. being in the SEC for 20 years means you cannot play.....  players that can play come into the league and can play... the nonsense about Doc not playing rookies is just silly.... if players can play, they play........ maybe when JJJ is 25 or 28 he will be able to be a player.... lmao

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

people always seem to forget that danny drafted rondo, perk and BBD, all of whom were very important pieces for several years.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]people always seem to forget that danny drafted rondo, perk and BBD, all of whom were very important pieces for several years.
    Posted by kaktug[/QUOTE]

Wow... Danny drafts bit pieces year after year and also leaves much better players on the board than the ones he drafts year after year... I wonder if the Cs would be better today with Marc Gasol than Gabe Pruitt and Big Baby....I wonder if the Cs would be better today with JR Giddens or Pekovic, Deandre Jordan, or Asik, or perhaps instead of Gerald Green Danny might have drafted Bass, Monta Ellis, David Lee, CJ Miles, Lou Williams, Gortat or Blatche....after Delonte West and Tony Allen were drafted back to back they might have been able to draft Varejao, Kevin Martin, or Ariza.....

Let's thank goodness that Danny has his finger on the trigger making the decisions who are the best players to put on the roster......... routinely the wrong ones of course but the decision maker nonetheless.....he traded Marshon Brooks for JJJ and of course left Norris Cole on the board... but the Heat goes on....

p.s. the Suns drafted Rondo for a draft pick that saved Rondo from falling into the second round....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Big Man Away? : Get this through your small brain. F - Gasol F - KG SF - Pierce SG - Pietrus PG - Mo Williams Ray for Mo Williams Tonight Mo was just sitting on the Clipper bench in the 4th qtr. and OT because he's too small to play SG. And Randy Foye is not the answer at SG.

THAT LINEUP is a championship team??? are you kidding me??

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

I keep copying & pasting my comments below because they apply to so many posts, trade Rondo, trade others, Get Gasol, Gortat, Kaman etc., wait & see if we can get Howard thus stand pat & do nothing this year etc. and accept that we'll not make it by the first round in the playoffs etc.

I honestly, and don’t want to be the prophet of doom, see us going beyond the 1st round in the playoffs even if we make a trade.  And, if it is any consolation, neither will the hated Lakers.  If we could combine our 2 teams…YES !!! (HA!) LA needs a PG and we need a Center.  LA with just Bynum , Gasol and Kobe(Fisher & Artest past their prime & others are mediocre) can win some games but as Bynum & Gasol can relieve eachother and also play together, they are the 2 best combined big men I think since McHale & Parish.  But unless Kobe can score 30+, they are vulnerable.

We, on the other hand, don’t have a Bynum & Gasol.  KG is a Power Forward so we have no one to complete like they do for rebounds. But the rest of our players combined, although not one of them is as good as Kobe and that includes Pierce, Allen & KG, are better so we have a better shooting team but live or die basically with a few exceptions of driving to the basket with Rondo, Pierce or Allen on the jump shot. If we shoot 50% we can win but if not, losing the battle of rebounds we lose.

So, I don’t think LA trading Gasol & getting a PG will win them a championship this year as Bynum, injury prone, has no backup. We could trade Pierce but he broke Bird’s scoring record to be 2nd highest scorer in Cs history so should retire a Celtic and I don’t really know who would want him. I would trade Ray Allen if it would get us Gortat or Kaman & toss in willingly JO and a draft pick and others too but I still don’t think we’d win a championship this year with one of those Biggies. Ray Allen for Mo Williams too would be a deal but doesn't address our need for a Biggie.

Rondo for Nash/Gortat or Gasol & we get a PG elsewhere I don’t think still would make us a championship team. Keeping Rondo & having Gasol or DH to whom to toss the ball too would be a different story but no trade is possible to do this. I believe Jeff Green’s return next year will help tremendously.  So, I am almost in favor of standing pat and in the off season part with all or some of the BIG 3 & rebuilt.  And I’m a septuagenarian who knows how much more time I have to be patient for another banner. It’s really too bad we didn’t beat the Lakers in game 7 a few years back because the BIG 3 ain’t gonna do it again and that loss hurts as much as the Red Sox collapse last year & the Patriots losing to the Giants in the Super Bowl.  OK, I’ve rambled on enough…..

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Big Man Away? : F - KG - 35 years old F - Gasol - 31 years old SF - Pierce - 34 years old SG - Pietrus - 30 years old PG - Mo Williams - 29 years old Compare that to this: C - Chandler - 28 years old PF - Dirk - 32 years old SF - Marion - 32 years old SG - Terry - 33 years old PG - Kidd - 37 years old Besides the age factor, how are you going to defend that team? Who you gonna double? Everybody can shoot, everybody is a threat to score.  The Bulls have Rose and 4 role players. Only the Heat have true star power.  If you think a Pau Gasol-KG frouncourt is not great then you're just a Rondo lover and nothing more.

first of all, this has nothing to do with Rondo. im looking at your current lineup that your telling me will win us a championship, and im laughing.

now, first of all, you dont need to double ANYONE in that lineup. there is no superstar on that team that commands a double team, so we will put that out. secondly, kg and pau play the same position, and while i agree that Pau can play the 5, its not his natural position and he has been quoted as saying he prefers the 4.

second, the Mavs won last year bc of Dirk. lets be honest. he played the best basketball of his life, outplayed everyone in the playoffs by far, was an absolute superstar. who on our team is going to do that? whos gunna be the unguardable force? Pau? yea right. Pau is a great complementary player to Kobe, but we have no Kove on our team. to ask pau to shoulder that load is unreasonable and unfair. 

that lineup is a bunch of ok players, no superstar, not even a great player. not to mention we have no Jason Terry coming off the bench (He did not start, DeShaun Stevenson started at the 2), we have no guy like J.J Barea, the more you get into it the more you realize how diff the teams are. you cant just say oh Mavs older, Celts older, it can work. thats stupid.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Big Man Away? : Exactly how else can we re-write history...... the Lakers were really really bad after Shaq left and it enabled them to be so bad they drafted Bynum in the top 10.... Bynum is ummmm..... an ummmm an all-star who leads the league in rebounds and is debatably the best center in the league when you factor in Howard's inability to make freebies and his limited offensive game..... yes... getting Gasol turned them into being a championship team........ when you write what you write do you just pretend that nobody has a brain and thinks that they will believe what you say and do not have the ability to see and analyze what actually happened as opposed to your minimal uninformed position?
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]
    Have you seen what Bynum shoots from the line? 56%  What would you like us to discuss more ephemeral things? It is a valid point considering if we can bring in Gasol. The question is what will we do for a point guard.  At least you two agree on that now.  Your like a unpleasant guy. What's the deal?  Nobody drones on more about Rondo and in the past Perkins than you, even if you were right.  Look at yourself you are as hypocritical as anyone on this BB.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Big Man Away? : Have you seen what Bynum shoots from the line? 56%  What would like us to discuss more ephemeral things? It is a valid point considering if we bring in Gasol. The question is what will we do for a point guard.  At least you two agree on that now.  Your like a mean guy. What's your point? 
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

hhhhmmmm.... what we do for a point guard?  well I guess what I would do is look at the last 20 years and realize that the point guard matters very little...... Jordan 6 titles - no point guards, Duncan - 5 titles - Parker for one or 2, Shaq - 4 titles - no point gaurds, Cs - dragged Rondo to a title, Pistons - Billups, Mavs - Kidd at 38 against a Heat team without a point guard...... the only great point guards that have won titles in the last 20 years are ummmm..... Parker...... the best point guards in the league in the last 20 years have ummmmm... no titles... Rose, Williams, Paul, and so on and so forth......  BIGS and WINGS win titles and if they happen to have a good point guard that helps but it is not necessary.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Big Man Away? : hhhhmmmm.... what we do for a point guard?  well I guess what I would do is look at the last 20 years and realize that the point guard matters very little...... Jordan 6 titles - no point guards, Duncan - 5 titles - Parker for one or 2, Shaq - 4 titles - no point gaurds, Cs - dragged Rondo to a title, Pistons - Billups, Mavs - Kidd at 38 against a Heat team without a point guard...... the only great point guards that have won titles in the last 20 years are ummmm..... Parker...... the best point guards in the league in the last 20 years have ummmmm... no titles... Rose, Williams, Paul, and so on and so forth......  BIGS and WINGS win titles and if they happen to have a good point guard that helps but it is not necessary.
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]

Most of your posts are interesting, and filled with a lot of fact.  It's too bad your sarcasm and condescending attitude toward other posters detracts from it.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Big Man Away? : I don't think Andrew Bynum leading the NBA in rebounding is a fact.

No, he is third, but Dud does know the draft, and who was picked where.  I give him credit for that!

Sections
Shortcuts