A change in the wind

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

A change in the wind

Interesting phenomenon taking place in the NBA thanks to Lebron mainly.

As we al lknow, Lebron pranced around last year unsigned and waiting for every team in the NBA to kiss his @$$.  Even the Cavs were on their hands and knees hoping he'd stay with them.

Of course, it all climaxed with THE DECISION and Cleve was left with nothing....

Fast forward to this season...

DWill not making a committment to stay with the Jazz, but not saying he wanted to leave or even test the FA waters... BANG!!! Cya DWill.... Jazz arent gonna be put in a Lebron soap opera next year..  Now they got something for him.

PERK... you dont want to sign up for $22mil???  You may want to test the FA waters instead.. Hey Perk, r u trying to posture for a deal or something??  BANG!!!  Cya Perk... now the Celts got Green & Kristic.... alot better than getting nothing...huh??

***ATTENTION NBA PLAYERS***  the tide has already shifted.. Maybe CP is next.  Owners arent gonna wait around and hope you sign with them, they're gonna protect their franchasise and DUMP YOU but quick for something in return.

Thanks Lebron for stepping so hard on the gas pedal when you played your game. The light went on because of you.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: A change in the wind

don't be surprised if the new CBA includes a franchise tag like option.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

This is one reason I fear the lockout may be long and nasty.

Based upon Stern's comments on the MIA "thing", and his insisting that owners are losing a  lot of money, I don't think he wants the players dictating where they can play.  They would all play in the larger markets (except Durant).  This does not create parity like in the NFL, which is the model I think he is trying to emulate.

There will be some kind of harder cap, or tougher trade restrictions, and the players don't want that.

I hope and pray we win it this year because this one could get ugly!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

So Howard will be traded?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

I think Howard stays in ORL...........but then again, I thought Melo would stay in DEN - lol

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

....and this is why older fans like myself cherish the earlier days....I understand that players in those days couldn't move for "better job situations"...but the early '70's changed everything.....fast forward and you have this....there are tens of millions of fans that live and die for their teams...most of us are 'regular Joe's"....the NBA has, what, less than 500 players? ......not only are these guys (mostly) multi millionaires but they want to control everything? ....I hear talk of guys wanting their multi millions in states that don't have an income tax....give me a break....Patrick Ewing was right when he said..."Yeah we make a lot of money....but we spend a lot of money too"!! So for millions upon millions of fans who have been loyal to their teams....many that can't even afford to see their teams in person....this is so out of control that is boggles the mind

Boston won't get Howard....he can stay in sunny Orlando (no state tax)....go to LA (sunshine, Hollywood, and movie stars)...Phoenix, Miami, etc....who really wants to spend their winters in Boston? .....years ago almost an entire league of players would've been happy to play in the old Garden.....it's a whole new world out there...and in my opinion...it sucks!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: A change in the wind:
    ....and this is why older fans like myself cherish the earlier days....I understand that players in those days couldn't move for "better job situations"...but the early '70's changed everything.....fast forward and you have this....there are tens of millions of fans that live and die for their teams...most of us are 'regular Joe's"....the NBA has, what, less than 500 players? ......not only are these guys (mostly) multi millionaires but they want to control everything? ....I hear talk of guys wanting their multi millions in states that don't have an income tax....give me a break....Patrick Ewing was right when he said..."Yeah we make a lot of money....but we spend a lot of money too"!! So for millions upon millions of fans who have been loyal to their teams....many that can't even afford to see their teams in person....this is so out of control that is boggles the mind Boston won't get Howard....he can stay in sunny Orlando (no state tax)....go to LA (sunshine, Hollywood, and movie stars)...Phoenix, Miami, etc....who really wants to spend their winters in Boston? .....years ago almost an entire league of players would've been happy to play in the old Garden.....it's a whole new world out there...and in my opinion...it sucks!
    Posted by Duke4

so you are saying either over the cap LA will trade Bynum for him or he will go to a place with nice weather and no chance at a title?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I'm saying that he will look for:

1-the highest contract

2-the "nicest" of the good weather cities (nightlife, celebrities, etc)

3-the team that gives him a good shot at a championship

...and I understand that there is nothing wrong with that from HIS standpoint....but the league needs the "franchise label" like the NFL...let's face it...Los Angeles has become the NBA's version of the Yankees....and make no mistake that, even though I hate both teams, I'd take their owners and the willingness to win (buy) championships....but it is bad for the league and most fans, in general....just my take! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoylestonBB. Show BoylestonBB's posts

Certainlty the seems to be some teams not wanting the distraction of impeding free agency for important players.  The Melo thing in Denver was absurd.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Nothing is going to happen with the C's landing a legitimate big man this season.  They're clearing some money and some space for a new FA in the offseason.  Perkins' absence right now is what counts; I get that they weren't going to keep him in the future.  But seriously,in the modern game, defined by short stays and a lot of money, Perkins gave this team the best chance to bang with the bigs in this league, and consequently the chance to hang another banner.  They cannot beat Dallas, LA or SA without a legit defensive big.  He**, they can't beat Denver without one.

This deal was vomit-inducing, imo.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

I'm saying that he will look for:   1-the highest contract 2-the "nicest" of the good weather cities (nightlife, celebrities, etc) 3-the team that gives him a good shot at a championship ...and I understand that there is nothing wrong with that from HIS standpoint....but the league needs the "franchise label" like the NFL...let's face it...Los Angeles has become the NBA's version of the Yankees....and make no mistake that, even though I hate both teams, I'd take their owners and the willingness to win (buy) championships....but it is bad for the league and most fans, in general....just my take! 
    Posted by Duke4

I agree completely.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Reminds me of Paula Abdul and "Blowing kisses in the wind".

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

IMO professional sports has gone completely insane. I mean, how can you justify players making multi-millions by playing a game? Are they saving any lives? The average joe is working his @ss off to pay $50 for lousy seats and $10 for a lousy beer at the game?? Sad thing is we as fans collectively keep the system going.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

IMO professional sports has gone completely insane. I mean, how can you justify players making multi-millions by playing a game? Are they saving any lives? The average joe is working his @ss off to pay $50 for lousy seats and $10 for a lousy beer at the game?? Sad thing is we as fans collectively keep the system going.
    Posted by basketbert

That's because people will pay a lot of money to be entertained. In the old days it was the Gladiators, today it's professional sports. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I'm saying that he will look for:   1-the highest contract 2-the "nicest" of the good weather cities (nightlife, celebrities, etc) 3-the team that gives him a good shot at a championship ...and I understand that there is nothing wrong with that from HIS standpoint....but the league needs the "franchise label" like the NFL...let's face it...Los Angeles has become the NBA's version of the Yankees....and make no mistake that, even though I hate both teams, I'd take their owners and the willingness to win (buy) championships....but it is bad for the league and most fans, in general....just my take! 
    Posted by Duke4

I'd love Dwight, but I agree with you that he is too happy-go-lucky and not much of a stone cold killer who desires a ring type guy. Too few of them around these days.

Not sure he is a big nightlife guy tho, I know he is a good David Robinson type Christian who doesn't smoke or drink.

but yeah, I can see him forcing his way to a sign and trade for most $ and  out to LA for Bynum and picks. Although I'm not sure Kobe (34) Artest (33) Pau (32) and Blake (32) is better than the starters we'd put around him. LA would still have 10m invested in Fish/Walton and hold an option of 8m for a 33 year old Odom.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Nothing is going to happen with the C's landing a legitimate big man this season.  They're clearing some money and some space for a new FA in the offseason.  Perkins' absence right now is what counts; I get that they weren't going to keep him in the future.  But seriously,in the modern game, defined by short stays and a lot of money, Perkins gave this team the best chance to bang with the bigs in this league, and consequently the chance to hang another banner.  They cannot beat Dallas, LA or SA without a legit defensive big.  He**, they can't beat Denver without one. This deal was vomit-inducing, imo.
    Posted by soups

you must mean offseason 2012 as we are way over the cap still this summer

and Dallas? I'm fine throwing KG at Chandler all day long... they have the same bodies and KG keeps Chandler away from the rim where he would bother Green/Pierce/Rondo on offense. Perk would just hang in the spots chandler dominates on D and is 3" shorter.

Then you can play Green on dirk and Pierce on Marion... pull even... and pin the series hopes on Allen and Rondo outplaying Kidd and Terry. Shaq is used in short stints on Haywood and Baby to give KG/Green breathers and use his 5 fouls on Chandler/Dirk.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In the old days, it was slavery.  The players played where they were told, had little chance to move, and made only a little money.  Just check out the salaries of the players in the old days.  The owners made money from the stadiums, the concessions, the game tickets, the TV rights, etc.   So, the pendulum has swung.  Its the owners faults for being greedy.

If owners don't try to constantly outbid each other, they won't have the bidding war.   Duncan and Parker and Ginobli stayed in a small market and made less money.  Garnett never demanded to be traded.  He actually fought against a trade to the Celtics in the beginning.   

Its also the NBA's fault for over expanding.  They wanted to be everywhere and ultimately, they diluted the talent.  There are many NBA players who wouldn't be playing in the league if they didn't spread the league out too far.  We're now getting back to the days where there are 2 to 4 stars on a team vs the days when there was only ONE, maybe 2 stars on a team.  Remember the old Celtics, Lakers, Pistons, Knicks, Hawks, etc. had teams like the Spurs do now.

Change can be good!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

In Response to Re: A change in the wind : That's because people will pay a lot of money to be entertained. In the old days it was the Gladiators, today it's professional sports. 
    Posted by P34

I know they will, but should they?
    Anyway, done it myself too, so there 'ya go.

Sections
Shortcuts