A look ahead... the draft/FA

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

A look ahead... the draft/FA

I've read where some of you are commenting on players in FA or the draft, that you'ld like to see the C's go for over the summer. So I thought I'ld start this thread for just that purpose. Ever since DA has been our GM, I have looked forward to the draft and off season moves. Specially the draft! I think he has a very good eye for talent. Doesn't mean the players have always panned out... but I don't think that's DA's fault. I know we're all enjoying this last run for a championship, but the inevitable will be here soon enough. So let's get started.

We draft #'s 21 and 22 in the 1st round. Looking at quite a few mock drafts, they have us taking a wide variety of players. From Tony Wroten, Meyers Leonard, Doron Lamb, Jeffery Taylor, Fab Melo, and Royce White, to name some. Some even have us taking Doc's son. But I don't think he'll be around. It's a little early in the game, so mock drafts usually are all over the place at this stage. The only two players I like here are Meyers and Melo. Mainly for our need of a big man.

I really like Meyers Leonard. Many mock drafts have him going in the mid teens to teams like Phili or Houston. He looks active, athletic, skilled, and he's a legit 7 footer. I'm not worried about his weight because his frame looks like it can handle the added pounds and muscle. If we could find some way to move up to get him, I'ld search every avenue. The main flaw on him is that he doesn't really have a "go to" move on offense. That too, I'm not worried about.

Melo is a guy that is probably raw as hell. Another big, legit 7 footer, with a body that's already NBA ready. I don't really like taking "raw" players, because it takes a long time for them to develop, with most becoming trade fodder. But people are saying that he does have nice defensive instincts and can block shots. I don't know about you guys, but that's the main thing I want at the center position.

The thing about these two picks, is that I'm picking based on "team need" instead of the best available player (which is what I think you should always go for). But seeing how I don't know any of the other players abilities other then maybe 1 or 2. I'ld try to get one of these guys or look to trade the picks. 

I also like: Dion Waiters, Royce White (at SF position) and Terrence Ross. 

As far as FA go... the only ones I like... I don't think we could get. Which are Howard and Hibbert. Indi is going to match any offer for Hibbert and Howard is an extreme longshot, who I'm not sure if we really want a guy like that on our team. The only thing I like about the guy, other then his talent, is the fact that he wants to be loyal to the team that drafted him and really wants to build a winner in Orlando. I'ld still take him if he was interested in coming of course. I am sure of one thing though. Don't spend the $$$ on a player/players unless they are legit guys that will keep us in championship contention, PERIOD!!! Even if that means throwing away a season or two. It'll suck. But, it will be worth it in the long run. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

Re: A look ahead... the draft/FA

In Response to A look ahead... the draft/FA:
    [QUOTE]I've read where some of you are commenting on players in FA or the draft, that you'ld like to see the C's go for over the summer. So I thought I'ld start this thread for just that purpose. Ever since DA has been our GM, I have looked forward to the draft and off season moves. Specially the draft! I think he has a very good eye for talent. Doesn't mean the players have always panned out... but I don't think that's DA's fault. I know we're all enjoying this last run for a championship, but the inevitable will be here soon enough. So let's get started. We draft #'s 21 and 22 in the 1st round. Looking at quite a few mock drafts, they have us taking a wide variety of players. From Tony Wroten , Meyers Leonard , Doron Lamb , Jeffery Taylor , Fab Mayo , and Royce White , to name some. Some even have us taking Doc's son. But I don't think he'll be around. It's a little early in the game, so mock drafts usually are all over the place at this stage. The only two players I like here are Meyers and Mayo. Mainly for our need of a big man. I really like Meyers Leonard. Many mock drafts have him going in the mid teens to teams like Phili or Houston. He looks active, athletic, skilled, and he's a legit 7 footer. I'm not worried about his weight because his frame looks like it can handle the added pounds and muscle. If we could find some way to move up to get him, I'ld search every avenue. The main flaw on him is that he doesn't really have a "go to" move on offense. That too, I'm not worried about. Melo is a guy that is probably raw as hell. Another big, legit 7 footer, with a body that's already NBA ready. I don't really like taking "raw" players, because it takes a long time for them to develop, with most becoming trade fodder. But people are saying that he does have nice defensive instincts and can block shots. I don't know about you guys, but that's the main thing I want at the center position. The thing about these two picks, is that I'm picking based on "team need" instead of the best available player (which is what I think you should always go for). But seeing how I don't know any of the other players abilities other then maybe 1 or 2. I'ld try to get one of these guys or look to trade the picks. As far as FA go... the only ones I like... I don't think we could get. Which are Howard and Hibbert. Indi is going to match any offer for Hibbert and Howard is an extreme longshot, who I'm not sure if we really want a guy like that on our team. The only thing I like about the guy, other then his talent, is the fact that he wants to be loyal to the team that drafted him and really wants to build a winner in Orlando. I'ld still take him if he was interested in coming of course. I am sure of one thing though. Don't spend the $$$ on a player/players unless they are legit guys that will keep us in championship contention, PERIOD!!! Even if that means throwing away a season or two. It'll suck. But, it will be worth it in the long run. 
    Posted by DrBoogiebone[/QUOTE]

As long as Danny surrounds Rondo and Bradley with tall, talented, and athletic teammates, I cannot foresee the Celtics "throwing away a season or two" in their quests for banners #18, 19, 20, 21, 22, et al.  Can you?

As Always,

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

In Response to Re: A look ahead... the draft/FA:
    [QUOTE]In Response to A look ahead... the draft/FA : As long as Danny surrounds Rondo and Bradley with tall, talented, and athletic teammates, I cannot foresee the Celtics "throwing away a season or two" in their quests for banners #18, 19, 20, 21, 22, et al.  Can you? As Always,
    Posted by JamLock[/QUOTE]

yeah, well... those don't grow on trees my friend...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A look ahead... the draft/FA : yeah, well... those don't grow on trees my friend...
    Posted by DrBoogiebone[/QUOTE]

So very true, but I always pull for those results and the Celtics have done better than any others in the annals of NBA lore!

As Always,

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Howard isn't a FA anymore

Agree that you have to add long atheltic types to run with Rondo/Avery

Pierce is under contract for 2 more years and Jeff Green could be back... making PF/C the biggest priority both in the draft and free agency

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptChris. Show CaptChris's posts

Chad Ford has the Celtics taking Royce White of Iowa State at # 20 in his Mock Draft 3.0.

White is 6'8 -- 270 lbs. -- 13.4 Points -- 10 Reboinds -- almost 5 Assists. -- Sophmore

He is ahead case who got canned from the Minnisota team and transferred to Iowa State.

The biggest problem that makes him un-draftable for the Celtics is that he is afraid to fly. The Celtics got screwed on a deal like that long ago.

Withithe 8th pick in the 1963 Draft, we took Bill Green, All-American from Colorado State.

He was a 6"6" -- 230 lb. super athletic scorer. He still holds the school record with 48 Pts.. He was drafted by the Celtics -- the Red Sox -- the Dallas Cowboys. A relly great athlete.

Red let him take the train to St. Louis for an exhibition game on the condition that he woulld fly back to Boston. After the game he couldn't get on the plane. He was too terrified.

We lost him, and he never played a game in any professional sport because of his fear.

Don't touch this guy, Royce White. Once burned, you better have learned!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

are they going to blow up the team this off-season?

or will they keep the core in place for another year?

how much money are the owners willing to spend?

or will Ainge have to work with the $22Million ($26 million if Bass leaves)only?

I'll use the $26Million limit and leave the core of the team together for another year though Ainge ahs reported said he won;t do what Red did to the 1980's team and leave them together too long).

Re-sign:

Garnett- $8Million next year
    Wilcox- $3Million
    Pietrus- $3M
    Stiesma- $2M
    Dooling- $2M
    Bass- $4M (option)

Leaves $4M for the rookies and any minor sigings ( Hollins or S. Williams type).

Draft:
    1a- A. Moultrie (if there, A. Nicholson or even PG- T. Taylor)
    1b- D. Lamb (good chance)

2- PG- S. Machado (or a guy like D. Gooden if no power player there           at 1).

roster:

C- Garnett
    C-Stiesma
    C- Hollins or Williams
    PF- BAss
    PF- Wilcox
    PF- Moultrie
    SF- Pierce
    SF- Pietrus
    SF- J. Johnson
    SG- Bradley
    SG- Lamb
    SG- Moore
    PG- Rondo
    PG- Dooling
    PG- Machado

next up......Blowing the whole thing up!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

If Leonard would fall to them you take him in a heartbeat! I'm also a big fan of Taylor out of Vandy...could be really fun on the break, and is a very good defender. If you can't get Leonard, gotta reach with Melo, and hope he pans out. He's got talent...and more importantly, he has size which they really need.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

[QUOTE]If Leonard would fall to them you take him in a heartbeat! I'm also a big fan of Taylor out of Vandy...could be really fun on the break, and is a very good defender. If you can't get Leonard, gotta reach with Melo, and hope he pans out. He's got talent...and more importantly, he has size which they really need.
    Posted by jgallag1[/QUOTE]
    It's a tough one. I agree with you, if Boston can't get Leonard they have to go for Melo. I was hoping that Boston could get Tony Mitchell from the University of North Texas but he decided to stay in school another year. Who knows what will happen on draft day perhaps a lottery player will fall into Boston's hands like Deandre Jordan did a few years ago (Ainge just made a huge mistake by not drafting him.). As much as Boston needs a guy to fill that gaping hole at the 5 which they should be able to fill, the C's also need a guy that can relieve Pierce and spread the floor. Because of the shortened season, we haven't seen much of JJJ and Moore. I hope that they turn out to be good players. Boston could have the equivalent of 5 rookies on the roster next year...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenmuse. Show greenmuse's posts

In Response to A look ahead... the draft/FA:
    [QUOTE]Draft Day Scenario#1-based on Okafor amnesty and Boston or Indy submits and wins a bid for him at say 6.2M for 2yrs along with NORL #10 pick) motivation for NORL is to reduce amnesty payout for Okafor (15.6M vs 28M)
    With that established the trade is:
    NORL - gets #26 Indy Pick, M Beasley, Wes Johnson
    MINN - gets R Allen, Bos #22 Pick
    INDY - gets E Gordon, Okafor @6.2M, #10 pick, JJJ
    BOS - gets P George, R Hibbert

Alt - BOS gets Okafor @6.2M and #10 pick and INDY keeps R Hibbert

Motivations:
    NORL - besides savings in Okafor buyout, they add two young experienced players with upside to go with their #4 and #26 pick
    MINN - gets veteran scorer/floor spacer they currently lack at reasonable 2yr contract to go with young front court and our #22 pick
    INDY - gets coveted local product E Gordon, established center at reasonable 2 year contract for economic limited franchise, young big in JJJ, NORL #10 pick to draft young center like Leonard/Moultrie
    BOS - reloads with P George and R Hibbert (say 4 yrs at ave 10-11M/yr), and our #21 pick and #51.
    I would even consider moving the #21 pick and cash to CLEV for #24 and #33.
    Resign- Garnett - 8Mw/TO for 2nd yr, Green -1yr 7M to prove health,
    Steamer -1M, extend B Bass and maybe Pietrus @3.0M

Rondo         FA PG        #51 pick        
    George        Bradley      Moore?
    Pierce         Green        FA SF or Pietrus       
    Bass           Garnett      D Gooden     
    Hibbert        Steamer     F Melo/F Ezeli  

This roster has interchangeable parts with player capable of playing multiple positions and we finaaly get some depth at PF/C positions.
    Posted by greenmuse[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

If Moultrie does somehow fall, I hope DA grabs this guy. He has a great offensive game and runs like a guard, perfect combo with Rondo and Bradley, plus he likes playing with his back to the basket.

Quincy Miller, Baylor, is another DA should look at. 6'9 small forward, would give be the backup to Pierce and Green (if he is with us next season)

I like Melo too, but DA should also look at Ezeli from Vandy, 6'11 center with a 7'4 wing span.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Moultrie and Quincy would be a dream..Long athletic...those are my picks also...!!!!
    Great minds think alike...
    With those two, the two rooks, AB, Rondo,Green, and a couple Fa's,
    We have the makings of another future dynasty...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

[QUOTE]Moultrie and Quincy would be a dream..Long athletic...those are my picks also...!!!! Great minds think alike... With those two, the two rooks, AB, Rondo,Green, and a couple Fa's, We have the makings of another future dynasty...
    Posted by Ortiz123[/QUOTE]
     I certainly hope so. That would be great huh? To get a team together like OKC. Where you have a young core who's championship caliber to keep together for a long time. That would be ideal. The best part is that, for the C's, it isn't that far-fetched from happening.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from docc. Show docc's posts

I can't speak about many of the college kids (right now), but I can tell you this:   a Cs dynasty will not be started w/ AB or JGreen.   I know.   Everybody likes AB and he's ok.   But, think of the other D players that the Cs had threw the years.   He's not better than DJ nor Don Chaney and they were not the main cogs of the teams.   AB isn't a good enough shooter to lead a team.   Can't pass as well as either (DJ was a pg.   DC and JoJo often shared the duties.   Those 2 players were smart players.   Don't underestimate high sports IQ and winning championships.  Can AB dribble w/ his L hand?).   JG was an OKC cast off.
       Why isn't poor drafting DA's fault?   If not his then whose?   You don't blame the player for not being good enough.   You blame the GM who can't judge that the player isn't good enough.   The Cs don't have enough young legs or talent to beat, SAS, OKC or the Lakers.   Not enough outside shooting, rebounding or inside scoring.   Lucky that Rose is hurt otherwise you could slap me for even mentioning the west teams.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

When I say makings, i mean  the foundation. Adjustments, sure...but Rondo and AB are a long time duo to build around. Green, we don't know. The rooks and the Steimer have untapped potential.With the two picks and rooks, we have tradeable assets to give Danny ammo. Danny has done a masterfull job in transitioning the franchise into a blend of experience and youth. The Lakers are extremely vulneralbe and have no picks. Its not our fault Rose is out. but i was referring to the future...that's what the thread says...A look ahead....draft/fa

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

[QUOTE]   I can't speak about many of the college kids (right now), but I can tell you this:   a Cs dynasty will not be started w/ AB or JGreen.   I know.   Everybody likes AB and he's ok.   But, think of the other D players that the Cs had threw the years.   He's not better than DJ nor Don Chaney and they were not the main cogs of the teams.   AB isn't a good enough shooter to lead a team.   Can't pass as well as either (DJ was a pg.   DC and JoJo often shared the duties.   Those 2 players were smart players.   Don't underestimate high sports IQ and winning championships.  Can AB dribble w/ his L hand?).   JG was an OKC cast off.    Why isn't poor drafting DA's fault?   If not his then whose?   You don't blame the player for not being good enough.   You blame the GM who can't judge that the player isn't good enough.   The Cs don't have enough young legs or talent to beat, SAS, OKC or the Lakers.   Not enough outside shooting, rebounding or inside scoring.   Lucky that Rose is hurt otherwise you could slap me for even mentioning the west teams.
    Posted by docc[/QUOTE]

I, myself, don't think of those guys as the "core" guys to lead this team either. I see that falling on Rondo and Doc as of right now. Gotta try to get that/those other core player/players with the freed up cap space that's going to be available to us. AB and JG are nice role players. They are NOT marquee players on a championship team. 
    As far as the poor drafting issue. I don't believe it has been DA's fault when Marcus Banks, Gerald Green, etc. didn't turn into the players they should have. They had all the tools and talent. It's up to the player to adapt to the NBA. DA, or any other GM for that matter, can't do it for them. With the picks he's had to work with (none in the top 10, except the 1 he traded in the RA deal), I think he's done a hellovah job. He's still got a lot of his picks in the NBA today. Ryan Gomes, Gerald Green, Al Jefferson, Tony Allen, Delonte West, Luke Harengody (sp), Semih Erden, Avery Bradley.... If the player has all the tools and talent to be a 1st round pick, and they don't become an established player in this league, then yes, I do blame them. If you don't make it at your job, are you going to blame your boss for hiring you, after you showed him all the credentials that you could do the job? It's a crap-shoot. You can''t read their mentality. At some point it's the players responsibility to become a success in this league. No matter what their role. Now if the picks were in the top 7.... I could understand your argument..... some-what. But, take Derrick Coleman for example. Do you blame that GM for DC becoming a bust. EVERYONE would have taken him. Kwame Brown, Michael Olowokandi failed, not the GM's who picked them. And when you pick in the teens to twenties range, it becomes much more difficult.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from docc. Show docc's posts

Come on.   By that logic MJordan should get a ticker tape parade in Charlotte and E Baylor one in LA.   Lets applaude the Bucks, Knicks and all the other perenial losers thru the yrs.   'It's not the GMs, it's that when a player is 22yrs old, the next step is superstardom.   Shouldn't be twelth player on a team you should be the best'.   There isn't any better or worse all are the same (sounds a little communistic).   Should bring that down to little league.   The kid who gets picked last, well just practice more and you'll be first pick next yr... oh yea, everbody in front of you will also be practicing more and.... well, a world of olympians!
       Fact is all players don't have the tools.   Some just mature earlier and become more dominant in there younger yrs (hs, college).   Just because they can oversize or overpower doesn't mean when matched up w/ maturity then they'll be better.   The pros are the best of the best.   Maybe you really can't shoot w/ more speed challenging your shot.   Maybe that  crossover against slower players won't work against the quicker (? young Rivers).   Maybe if you really had a work ethic you could stay in your local hs and do well in school and not to go to a prep school.   Maybe you can clamp down on players in lower levels, but get used in the pros (Teague vs AB...did I say that?)
       Look.   GMs get paid for nothing but watching players and analyzing them.   Can their game project.   Can they work.   Can they think.   What's their background.   You work 8, 10, some work 12/hrs/day or more.   You talk and blog sports.   If a GM uses that time then they shouldn't be able to figure players out AT LEAST every other yr!   Not busts for 4 - 5 straight yrs!   What is an astute GM?   One that woulda known the Rudy Gay is a player for the taking (if can't get Roy/Foye) instead of (lol) Telfair.   'I'm a smart evaluator.   Maybe I'll make a deal to move up and draft Danny Granger instead of not drafting him by one pick.
       But you are right.   Those who guess are like flipping a coin.   The smart guys Red, RC Slocum, GM for the NY Giants, really put this stuff together...
       ? who said the Cs are a mix of young and old.   They have 2 young guys.   Everbody else is over 30 and cast offs from other teams (sitting on the bench and never playing doesn't count).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

[QUOTE]    Come on.   By that logic MJordan should get a ticker tape parade in Charlotte and E Baylor one in LA.   Lets applaude the Bucks, Knicks and all the other perenial losers thru the yrs.   'It's not the GMs, it's that when a player is 22yrs old, the next step is superstardom.   Shouldn't be twelth player on a team you should be the best'.   There isn't any better or worse all are the same (sounds a little communistic).   Should bring that down to little league.   The kid who gets picked last, well just practice more and you'll be first pick next yr... oh yea, everbody in front of you will also be practicing more and.... well, a world of olympians!    Fact is all players don't have the tools.   Some just mature earlier and become more dominant in there younger yrs (hs, college).   Just because they can oversize or overpower doesn't mean when matched up w/ maturity then they'll be better.   The pros are the best of the best.   Maybe you really can't shoot w/ more speed challenging your shot.   Maybe that  crossover against slower players won't work against the quicker (? young Rivers).   Maybe if you really had a work ethic you could stay in your local hs and do well in school and not to go to a prep school.   Maybe you can clamp down on players in lower levels, but get used in the pros (Teague vs AB...did I say that?)    Look.   GMs get paid for nothing but watching players and analyzing them.   Can their game project.   Can they work.   Can they think.   What's their background.   You work 8, 10, some work 12/hrs/day or more.   You talk and blog sports.   If a GM uses that time then they shouldn't be able to figure players out AT LEAST every other yr!   Not busts for 4 - 5 straight yrs!   What is an astute GM?   One that woulda known the Rudy Gay is a player for the taking (if can't get Roy/Foye) instead of (lol) Telfair.   'I'm a smart evaluator.   Maybe I'll make a deal to move up and draft Danny Granger instead of not drafting him by one pick.    But you are right.   Those who guess are like flipping a coin.   The smart guys Red, RC Slocum, GM for the NY Giants, really put this stuff together...    ? who said the Cs are a mix of young and old.   They have 2 young guys.   Everbody else is over 30 and cast offs from other teams (sitting on the bench and never playing doesn't count).
    Posted by docc[/QUOTE]
    This is just where we see differently docc. I don't care how much GMs make, or how many hours they work. They don't have, nor will they aquire the ability of telepathy or foresight. At some point, you have to hold the player accountable. The GM can't play these games for them.
    Not every player is destined for "stardom". You're taking it to the extreme. They can be successful in this league without being a superstar/allstar.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

At this point they could wind up in a very good position building for the future. At this point, barring any trades, I'd say it's a pretty solid fact that the main group of Rondo, Bradley, Pierce, and Steamer will be back, as well as Moore and JJJ. I think Bass will stay with the team and not opt out. After that, consider that the draft plays out like most people figure it will, and nobody falls like crazy. The C's take a big man and an athletic swingman with their two first rounders...say Taylor and Melo. In the second round you're prety much free to take anything you like still on the board. There's a kid fromSerbia named Dusan Cantekin...he's 7'4...I haven't seen much on him, and I'm sure he's very raw, but I'd consider taking a flyer on him based just on the height!

So after the draft you have

Rondo/Moore
    Bradley
    Pierce/Taylor
    Bass/JJJ
    Steamer/Melo/Cantekin

That's a very raw young team, but even with just that there's potential. From there you move to free agents and completing the team. I like Pietrus to come back as the backup SG/SF. Love his D. I think they'll also be looking for another PF to provide depth behind Bass if JJJ isn't to where they'd like him to be. A player I like is Ryan Anderson, but he'll be a sought after prize. Jason Thompson and Marreese Speights are a couple other intriguing names, along with KG.
    For the 12th spot, they would either look for a bench scorer, or a solid backup PG, essentially whichever they don't think Moore will be. I see him as more of a 2, so with that in mind, a guy I'd like to see in green is Kirk Hinrich. He's a capable scorer, and a capable floor general, and he's been around the block a time or two both as a starter and backup.

That leaves the final roster as

Rondo/Hinrich
    Bradley/Pietrus/Moore
    Pierce/Taylor
    Anderson?/Bass/JJJ
    Steamer/Melo/Cantekin

That's a young team with size, youth, and the ability to attack in a bunch of different ways, as well as defend you a bunch of different ways.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

[QUOTE]At this point they could wind up in a very good position building for the future. At this point, barring any trades, I'd say it's a pretty solid fact that the main group of Rondo, Bradley, Pierce, and Steamer will be back, as well as Moore and JJJ. I think Bass will stay with the team and not opt out. After that, consider that the draft plays out like most people figure it will, and nobody falls like crazy. The C's take a big man and an athletic swingman with their two first rounders...say Taylor and Melo. In the second round you're prety much free to take anything you like still on the board. There's a kid fromSerbia named Dusan Cantekin...he's 7'4...I haven't seen much on him, and I'm sure he's very raw, but I'd consider taking a flyer on him based just on the height! So after the draft you have Rondo/Moore Bradley Pierce/Taylor Bass/JJJ Steamer/Melo/Cantekin That's a very raw young team, but even with just that there's potential. From there you move to free agents and completing the team. I like Pietrus to come back as the backup SG/SF. Love his D. I think they'll also be looking for another PF to provide depth behind Bass if JJJ isn't to where they'd like him to be. A player I like is Ryan Anderson, but he'll be a sought after prize. Jason Thompson and Marreese Speights are a couple other intriguing names, along with KG. For the 12th spot, they would either look for a bench scorer, or a solid backup PG, essentially whichever they don't think Moore will be. I see him as more of a 2, so with that in mind, a guy I'd like to see in green is Kirk Hinrich. He's a capable scorer, and a capable floor general, and he's been around the block a time or two both as a starter and backup. That leaves the final roster as Rondo/Hinrich Bradley/Pietrus/Moore Pierce/Taylor Anderson?/Bass/JJJ Steamer/Melo/Cantekin That's a young team with size, youth, and the ability to attack in a bunch of different ways, as well as defend you a bunch of different ways.
    Posted by jgallag1[/QUOTE]

I just looked up Dusan Cantekin on youtube. Only had 1 play on there. Would be nice to see an entire highlight reel. But hey, I'm always a fan of height. He certainly looks athletic. And at 7'4.... oh yeah!!! But I'ld need to see alot more on him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]   I can't speak about many of the college kids (right now), but I can tell you this:   a Cs dynasty will not be started w/ AB or JGreen.   I know.   Everybody likes AB and he's ok.   But, think of the other D players that the Cs had threw the years.   He's not better than DJ nor Don Chaney and they were not the main cogs of the teams.   AB isn't a good enough shooter to lead a team.   Can't pass as well as either (DJ was a pg.   DC and JoJo often shared the duties.   Those 2 players were smart players.   Don't underestimate high sports IQ and winning championships.  Can AB dribble w/ his L hand?).   JG was an OKC cast off.    Why isn't poor drafting DA's fault?   If not his then whose?   You don't blame the player for not being good enough.   You blame the GM who can't judge that the player isn't good enough.   The Cs don't have enough young legs or talent to beat, SAS, OKC or the Lakers.   Not enough outside shooting, rebounding or inside scoring.   Lucky that Rose is hurt otherwise you could slap me for even mentioning the west teams.
    Posted by docc[/QUOTE]

When you talk about contending, having AB and Green as 2 of your 4th-6th best players is more than fine.

Ray or Pietrus and Bass are fine as 7th and 8th best players.

You don't go more than 9 deep in the playoffs anyhow.

Rondo is a 2nd best player on a contender type and will stay that way

Can Pierce and KG remain #1 and #3 players on a contender next season? Can we have a Paul Pierce that averages 24/8/5 in the playoffs who goes head to head with LeBron and Durant at age 35? The only player who really did it at age 35 was Jordan, so the difference between a '98 Jordan and a '13 Pierce is likely the diff. between a champion and a 2nd rd team.

Can we have a KG who is still a top 5 defender, expert at shutting down pick and rolls, remains a 55% shooter, shuts down guys like Bosh, Amare and Boozer and gets an 18/12 each night at age 36-37?

Hmmm.... MAYBE, but not likely... but those 2 guys even in their mid-30's will keep us at least a 2nd rd team next year with the likely upgrades/additions across the rest of the roster and Avery's improvement.

Danny needs to move up in draft to take an electric player who fits well on the court with Rondo and bumps Bass down the depth chart. As a 20-21 year old this player can be the 9th man in the playoff rotation next year but then if we are going to contend past '13 he has to be the 3rd best player on the team after that.

DA needs to use the FA money on whatever 'need' we don't draft (draft a big, sign a SG, draft a SG then sign a big). This FA needs to be in the 4-6 range next year and for years after. Keeping Bass and whatever vet is in the Piatrus/Ray role beyond next year (could even be PP) down in the 7th/8th man role. This would be a Humphries or Okafor type big or Mayo type SG.

After that (post '13) this team will be STACKED with players who fill all the roles needed from 2nd best to 11th best players for a contender EXCEPT that #1 superstar, haha. So if we can't replace Paul and KG with a star we won't win another title anytime soon. But we'll remain a deep and dangerous team, like the '05-'08 Phoenix Suns maybe.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

A look at the lineup breakdown of a contender as it relates to the future Celtics and how the '08 champs filled these roles:

1 - Superstar crunch-time scorer - Currently a declining Pierce, has been hime for 10 years, he has no heir apparent, a top 50 player HOFer

2 - Robin to Batman, perennial all-star - Rondo for many years (this was KG in '08)

3 - borderline all-star who brings 1-2 elite intangibles the #1/2 guys don't bring - currently KG and his post defense/leadership/impossible to defend 18 footer (or it could be 3-point shooting, this was Ray in '08) - has to be our '12 draft pick in the future, which is why I want to move up

4 - Green (if he is 100% and improves on his 15/6 OKC numbers in natural SF position) or Avery (if he makes a big leap year 3) hopefully both are this talented next year (this was Rondo in '08)

5 - a FA, either a SG like Mayo or PF like Humphries depending on what position we draft, guy who fills out the starting rotation (this was Perk in '08)

6 - Green (if he is barely better than the player we saw at the end of '11) or Avery (if he is barely better than the player we saw the last 3 months) this was Posey in '08

7 - Ray or Pietrus - your backup wing who brings something your starter doesn't, in this case its shooting with Ray or defense with Mickael (this was TA, sometimes House in '08)

8 - Bass - blue coller big who can start in a pinch but gives you 8-9 points and 4-5 rebounds in 18-22 mins off the bench, better than most other teams backups in this spot (this was Powe in '08, Baby last 3 years)

9 - Backup center who defends rim, can stick open shot and score when Rondo wants to include him in offense or an garbage buckets (this was PJ in '08), is this Stiemsma for many years?? Not sure yet.

10/11 - Another backup guard/big in roles guys like House, Nate, Keyon, a rookie BBD, Pollard, etc. had over the last 5 years.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I think this team in order of best to worse players will be a good 2nd rd team next year if we get a slight decline in the older players and slight improvements in the young guys (including Rondo). If everything goes right and PP/KG don't decline AT ALL, it could contend.

Pierce
    Rondo
    KG
    Green
    Humphries
    Avery
    Ray or Pietrus
    Bass
    top 15 draft pick
    Stiemsma

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

I think either JJJ and/or Moore will be helpfull as well..Moore is a gutsy offensive minded  player that may contribute. JJJ, the jury is still out, but there is no denying he has talents...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

JJJ has the potential to be a garnett type of player, and i think that'swhy a surefire offensive threat was traded for him. Now he's obviously not KG incarnate, but he can bring a lot of the same things if he puts his mind to it. I know at the beginning of the season KG took him under his wing, but I haven't heard much of it lately. I don't know if that's due to the schedule this season (less practices) or if KG has cast him aside, but I thought of that as a very good thing. It's tough to see KG getting huge minutes the last few weeks of the regular season, and his de facto successor riding the pine. Hopefully it's just Doc's rookie bias.

Sections
Shortcuts