A look ahead... the draft/FA

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

Re: A look ahead... the draft/FA

In Response to Re: A look ahead... the draft/FA:
    JJJ has the potential to be a garnett type of player, and i think that'swhy a surefire offensive threat was traded for him. Now he's obviously not KG incarnate, but he can bring a lot of the same things if he puts his mind to it. I know at the beginning of the season KG took him under his wing, but I haven't heard much of it lately. I don't know if that's due to the schedule this season (less practices) or if KG has cast him aside, but I thought of that as a very good thing. It's tough to see KG getting huge minutes the last few weeks of the regular season, and his de facto successor riding the pine. Hopefully it's just Doc's rookie bias.
    Posted by jgallag1

JJJ has got a nice jumper (as if we need more jump shooters) but I don't like the way he rebounds. From what little I've seen of him, he tries to time his jump to where he thinks/hopes the ball will come. He needs to be broken of this. Get a little more meat on that body of his and become a position rebounder. To become a great defender takes a special kind of player. That was/is Big Al's downfall if you ask me. If only he would take more pride in defending... he'ld be a perennial all-star. No doubt in my mind.

Is it just me, or does JJJ remind you of Tony Battie?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

In Response to Re: A look ahead... the draft/FA : JJJ has got a nice jumper (as if we need more jump shooters) but I don't like the way he rebounds. From what little I've seen of him, he tries to time his jump to where he thinks/hopes the ball will come. He needs to be broken of this. Get a little more meat on that body of his and become a position rebounder. To become a great defender takes a special kind of player. That was/is Big Al's downfall if you ask me. If only he would take more pride in defending... he'ld be a perennial all-star. No doubt in my mind. Is it just me, or does JJJ remind you of Tony Battie?
    Posted by DrBoogiebone

Well I hope he's better than Tony, because we gave up a scoring machine for him..also, was it a straight up deal or did we get something else????

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

JJJ has the potential to be a garnett type of player, and i think that'swhy a surefire offensive threat was traded for him. Now he's obviously not KG incarnate, but he can bring a lot of the same things if he puts his mind to it. I know at the beginning of the season KG took him under his wing, but I haven't heard much of it lately. I don't know if that's due to the schedule this season (less practices) or if KG has cast him aside, but I thought of that as a very good thing. It's tough to see KG getting huge minutes the last few weeks of the regular season, and his de facto successor riding the pine. Hopefully it's just Doc's rookie bias.
    Posted by jgallag1

c'mon, you gotta be a kid like Anthony Davis to have 'Garnett potential' JJJ does not have that type of ceiling

maybe when he gains 15-20lbs of muscle while staying fast and athletic, getting more coordinated and less awkward looking he can be a decent backup

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

I think Bass is A key to what we do.....maybe not THE key.  If he stays, that's a big load off our minds...if he bolts....well, then we need to re-up at that position as well.  And, of course, how we draft will determine who we go after in free agency.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I strongly think that Fab Melo is going to be another NBA busted player such as  Kwame Brown or Greg Oden.

Stay away from him.

There are alot of good available players from the 20's to the 40's draft picks.  I would rather to try to draft Melo in the second round.

Get guys like White of ISU, Henson of UNC, Nicholson of St. Bonnie, and Ezeli of Vandy.  They are going to be a worthy post player pick!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

I didn't say he was going to be another Garnett...in fact I said he wouldn't be. But he's got a similar game and a similar skill set...so he could bring some of the same things to the table. That's why i think Doc chose him...he could be a plug n play guy

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I didn't say he was going to be another Garnett...in fact I said he wouldn't be. But he's got a similar game and a similar skill set...so he could bring some of the same things to the table. That's why i think Doc chose him...he could be a plug n play guy
    Posted by jgallag1

In that case any player 6'9" or taller with length, a willingness to play enrgetic D and the supposed ability to hit an 18 fot jumper has 'Garnett type skills'. I know you are not saying he will be another Garnett, so few players will, but c'mon its nt even in the same ballpark.

His ceiling to me is as a Derrick McKey type... another 6'9" 205lb twig.... who managed to be a 13 point, 5 rebound 1 steal pesty defender, good 5th-7th best player on a contender in his prime.

Jajuan just turned 23 in February. The season during which KG turned 23 he averaged 20.8 points, 10.4 rebounds, 4.3 assists, 1.8 blocks and 1.7 steals during the ugly '99 lockout shortended year that saw so many overweight players undrperform (Antoine anyone?)

This was one year after his 6 years 126 million franchise crippling extension was signed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I like some of the thoughts around here.  I agree that there are some intriguing moves for Ainge to consider, #1 being whether to bring back KG and how to get him some help at the 4/5.  The second most important move is Bass.  I can't see him taking his player option, so either sign him to a reasonable deal or parlay him into something. 

Steimsma looks like part of the rotation at the 5, and maybe  Williams or Hollins will prove that they can be part of the solution there too.  I know Ainge will draft for talent and not for position, but I'm hoping he can find a guy who will be a reasonable facsimile of Perk -- tough and defensive minded.   

At the 3/4, having Jeff Green back will help, and maybe J. Johnson, with the benefit of an offseason and training camp, can fill a role next year.  

At the 2/3, I think the roster could stand an infusion of talent.  Maybe Moore can be that guy, but if Ray is gone it would be great to have a guy who can give quality minutes.  I'm hoping Pietrus stays around, but I think this is a position of need. 

At the 1/2 I like the mix.  Rondo and Bradley are undersized but I think they will really learn to complement one another more with a year under their belt.  I think having someone like a Dooling is fine, but there are other Keyon Doolings out there. 

Given the lack of any franchise-changing FA's this year, I think it makes sense for Danny to keep as much as this team together as possible on one year deals.  The only caveat is if there is anybody in RFA that the C's have an actual shot to land with their cap space.  Can they realistically take a shot at maxing Hibbert?  Can Indy match?  Should they?  Hibbert is a nice player, but his body of work is a bit short. 

Anyway, keep up the good posts fellas. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I like some of the thoughts around here.  I agree that there are some intriguing moves for Ainge to consider, #1 being whether to bring back KG and how to get him some help at the 4/5.

Thats really two moves.

1. Bring back KG asap, make sure it is reasonable (so we can get him some help), and move on from there. Something like 2 years 12 million would be great. Absolutely no more than the 2/20 they gave Ray.

I know money is always money and you can never have enough of it, etc. But when it comes to KG (and Ray) you have to think that two guys who have made 291 and 178 MILLION in salary alone in the league can leave 6-7-8 million on the table when that is the difference in a 35-45 million free agent (Perk/DeAndre Jordan come to mind) or a 20-25 millon FA (Gomes/Baby come to mind) and it could mean a 2nd rd loss or a title.

2. If you get KG for 6-7 million next year then you can make your Hibbert/McGee offers, if that fails b/c they are matched then make a serious run at Humphries and if that fails still upgrade the lineup with somebody like Jason Thompson, Spencer Hawes, or Chris Kaman, who are 5's but don't really rebound like it (already an issue here).

The second most important move is Bass.  I can't see him taking his player option, so either sign him to a reasonable deal or parlay him into something.

Yeah 1 year 4 million is cheap for a guy who proved he can be your 5th-6th best player and a 12/6 on a contender or maybe your 4th best player and a 16/7 on a non-contender. Like Baby last year we can't let him walk tho. Sign and trade him, giving him like 5/30, and get back another big in return. Unlike last year with Baby we have cap space so we don't have to trade matching contracts but can take back somebody who is slightly overpaid.

Steimsma looks like part of the rotation at the 5,

Yeah, he is restricted at 1 million, so unless anyone wants to more than triple that he isn't going anywhere. Then again in a perfect world he only plays 8-14 minutes a game, not 16-22.

and maybe  Williams or Hollins will prove that they can be part of the solution there too.  I know Ainge will draft for talent and not for position, but I'm hoping he can find a guy who will be a reasonable facsimile of Perk -- tough and defensive minded.

Big need, and hard to find in a draft of 19-21 year olds. Remember Perk didn't show he belonged until his 3rd-4th year in the league.

At the 3/4, having Jeff Green back will help, and maybe J. Johnson, with the benefit of an offseason and training camp, can fill a role next year.   At the 2/3, I think the roster could stand an infusion of talent.  Maybe Moore can be that guy, but if Ray is gone it would be great to have a guy who can give quality minutes.  I'm hoping Pietrus stays around, but I think this is a position of need.

One of the draft picks can easily be used to fill the remaining minutes if you are talking about one of Ray and Peaches returning. In fact I'd rather trade both picks up to get a talent who can be the 3rd best player on a  contender for years over picking rotational 5th-6th men at 21/22.

At the 1/2 I like the mix.  Rondo and Bradley are undersized but I think they will really learn to complement one another more with a year under their belt.  I think having someone like a Dooling is fine, but there are other Keyon Doolings out there.  Given the lack of any franchise-changing FA's this year, I think it makes sense for Danny to keep as much as this team together as possible on one year deals.  The only caveat is if there is anybody in RFA that the C's have an actual shot to land with their cap space.  Can they realistically take a shot at maxing Hibbert?  Can Indy match?  Should they?  Hibbert is a nice player, but his body of work is a bit short.  Anyway, keep up the good posts fellas.

Agreed

Posted by CablesWyndBairn

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dblock33644. Show dblock33644's posts

Howard excercised his option he will defintely be a magic next year, and i like the lopez guy from the nets

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yeselp. Show yeselp's posts

5 years from now GMs are going to wonder why they didn't draft Dion Waiters. He is a viable sixth man immediately, and will develop into a starter w/ all-star capability. I hope the Celtics take him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

In Response to Re: A look ahead... the draft/FA : In that case any player 6'9" or taller with length, a willingness to play enrgetic D and the supposed ability to hit an 18 fot jumper has 'Garnett type skills'. I know you are not saying he will be another Garnett, so few players will, but c'mon its nt even in the same ballpark. His ceiling to me is as a Derrick McKey type... another 6'9" 205lb twig.... who managed to be a 13 point, 5 rebound 1 steal pesty defender, good 5th-7th best player on a contender in his prime. Jajuan just turned 23 in February. The season during which KG turned 23 he averaged 20.8 points, 10.4 rebounds, 4.3 assists, 1.8 blocks and 1.7 steals during the ugly '99 lockout shortended year that saw so many overweight players undrperform (Antoine anyone?) This was one year after his 6 years 126 million franchise crippling extension was signed.
    Posted by rameakap

We have no idea what his ceiling is yet. He's finishing up a rookie season for Doc...meaning we haven't seen him yet. I'm sure after last season you thought Avery Bradley's ceiling was a Tyrese Rice or something. And you're trying to compare a rookie season under Doc to a franchise player's 5th season in the NBA? Come on now.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

5 years from now GMs are going to wonder why they didn't draft Dion Waiters. He is a viable sixth man immediately, and will develop into a starter w/ all-star capability. I hope the Celtics take him.
    Posted by yeselp

I like D. Waiters as well. Another guy I really like is T. Ross. Man, that dude can fill it up!!! You should check out his highlights on youtube. That guy is one hellovah scorer.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: A look ahead... the draft/FA : We have no idea what his ceiling is yet. He's finishing up a rookie season for Doc...meaning we haven't seen him yet. I'm sure after last season you thought Avery Bradley's ceiling was a Tyrese Rice or something. And you're trying to compare a rookie season under Doc to a franchise player's 5th season in the NBA? Come on now.
    Posted by jgallag1

I compared them at the same age, and it was KG's 4TH year... but yeah you just can't say some skinny PF with a jumper and energy D has KG skills... I found a realistic comparison. I hope the kid turns out to be a decent player, a McKey would be great, and there really is little chance he becomes better than that 13/5, he is already 23.

As for Avery he was 19 last year being asked to learn NBA PG off 1 season in college as a SG and and ankle injury to boot... if he spent 4 years at Texas playing that type of D, was an all-American and a double-double as a senior then I'm sure we'd question why he couldn't make it off the bench, esp when the team lost all the backups at his position as the C's did at PF this year.

Johnson couldn't get the 8-12 minutes we needed from a real PF when Wilcox went down, meaning Stiemsma played more and Pietrus got minutes there in a small lineup.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mark from Ct. Show Mark from Ct's posts

It will be funny if Danny offers McGee a max contract.
    There are so many teams with large amounts of cap space this summer that there will be bidding wars for free agents.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mark from Ct. Show Mark from Ct's posts

In Response to Re: A look ahead... the draft/FA : McGee with the C's puts the Lakers to rest ... He'd be worth every $
    Posted by Mployee8

LOL, go for it Boston.
    McGee and KG at $8m means no Green, Ray, Wilcox, or other free agents.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

How long can we keep RA, KG and PP together?  It is time to part with either KG or RA.  I say RA.  We need to get under the cap.  I say make an decent reup to both that is cap friendly and see if they take it. A two year offer MAX!!!  I like Wilcox and Green to come back, but I'm not sure that is set in stone for either, especially Green. Let Daniels and Sasha go.  Bring back Williams and Hollins on the cheap.  Draft well.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

This is just a scenario. But I was trying to figure out a way for us to move up in the draft and who we could possibly swap picks with. Steve Nash is a free agent this summer. Do the Suns resign him or move on?

Scenario: Trade both our 1st round picks to Pheonix for the # 13th pick. At this position will be a couple promising bigs to choose from for the C's. While Pheonix will have 2 picks right around the area in which some promising guards will be taken (Lamb, Wroten, Waiters). All of which are hyped as combo guards, scorers who can create, with Wroten being a true point.

The question: Will the Suns give up their 13th pick for the 21st and 22nd picks? Or maybe the 21st pick and another consideration?

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

In Response to Re: A look ahead... the draft/FA : I can live w/o Daniels. And Dooling didn't bring enough to the table this year for me, how bout you ... what's your thinking on Dooling? Bradley and Moore s/b able to provide what Dooling provided and more. Pavlovic is a nice bench player for VM with his length, athleticism, defense and long range shooting capabilities, so I'd hate to lose him if we can sign him with the VM again. I don't think Ray is ready to take short $ as a backup ... KG is at an inflection point, he still has game but for how long and at what price? Is it best to fill in around him for another year or two or just cut bait and use his cap space for one or two younger players? I agree with letting Ray go and trying to keep KG at a reasonable cost for 1 year with a team option for a second. Size matters, so keeping Steamer, Hollins, Wilcox & Williams for VM money makes sense. Drafting for talent rather than position is a priority so unless we can move up there's no sense in drafting a 2nd tier big over a 1st tier wing despite the fact that it drives me crazy how Danny always seems to draft guards. So if a big falls, great! Otherwise best player available and White can play SF/PF and Ross has size at the SG or even Waiters or Lamb could play combo guard. Just don't see too many decent options at PF or C down where we are drafting unless someone slips.
    Posted by Mployee8

I agree with letting Dooling go. Moore has a year under his belt now. Let him take the backup role, with AB as security when Moore has experience lapses. I'ld really like to get another year or two outta KG. If for no other reason then to let our young guys learn from him.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

McGee will get more than 9m a year

Sections
Shortcuts