A look at what the demon that Rivers excorcised out of Boston is up to these days

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: A look at what the demon that Rivers excorcised out of Boston is up to these days

In response to aciemvp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

go to 1:23 for the "no post game"

[/QUOTE]

Are you really showing me some highlights to prove that Davis has a good post game? then maybe you can show me some highlights of Davis making jumpshots to show me how good he is at that as well.

Davis is not that good.  Your obsession with him is odd.  Neither he nor Bass makes any difference for any team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Re: A look at what the demon that Rivers excorcised out of Boston is up to these days

In response to snakeoil123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Are you really showing me some highlights to prove that Davis has a good post game? then maybe you can show me some highlights of Davis making jumpshots to show me how good he is at that as well.

Davis is not that good.  Your obsession with him is odd.  Neither he nor Bass makes any difference for any team.

[/QUOTE]

the difference is that bass is MURDERING this team right now.  davis did not hurt anything.  he in fact enabled our HELP DEFENSE SYSTEM- and was the catalyst for it.  we don' thave that any more, and are rather exposed. 

so when danny dummy went and got rid of the guy they not just had to get a 4 but also someone to cover the 5 stuff that davis did and preferably someone with an iota of help defense in them.  given time (that we don't have) sullinger may be that.

my next post will illustrate, statistically what a BUM bass is and what a comparative BARGAIN davis is.  it's not an obsession, moron, it's just the simple facts that we made a big old mistake.  just like when gavitt shooed bird away when he wanted to be part of the organization, just like when tony allen walked away, just like a lot of things this team has done stupidly.

and we don't have any room for error right now.  THIS is the difference between competing and not competing- what bass DOES NOT give us for the money paid

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Taj Gibson                   FTA    PTS     REB      2012-13   2013-14
    2012-13        per 36    3.2    11.3    8.3       2.15M      7.55M
    Dante Cunningham
    2012-13        per 36    1.6    12.3    7.8      2.1M      2.2M
    Brandon Bass
    2012-13        per 36    2.3     11.3     7.3      6.0M       6.4M
    Jason Maxiell
    2012-13        per 36    3.7    10.9    8.1      5M           F/A
    Jared Sullinger   
    2012-13        per 36    2.1    10.1    10.2    1.3M         1.36M
    Lavoy Allen
    2012-13        per 36    1.4    9.5       7.8     3M            3M
    Chris Wilcox
    2012-13        per 36    2.9    12.8    6.2      1.35M       F/A

as you can see, bass really stacks up well against guys who are being paid less than him.  taj gibson springs to 7.5m next year.  it's a testament to why teams usually hold onto decent 4/5's- they are hard to come by and there are a ton of middling overpaid ones in the 8 to 12 million dollar per year range.

bass is a sub middling one who's overpaid in the 6 million dollar range and plays like a 3 million dollar player.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

i have a general question- WHAT was the reason that we did not try to go after luis scola in the off season?  he's limited but not as putrid as bass is.  and he's cheap.  aside from davis, hickson and favors, scola's the only bargain on this list of decently performing PER 4/5's

=======

so let's just look at the cold hard stats.  davis stacks up pretty favorably to a lot of players who get paid a lot more cash than he does.  when you consider the intangibles davis brings- good hands, superior footwork, can be lynch pin in a help defense system if you have one, ability to draw charges, and hustle- i'd take him at 6.4M over a lot of these guys paid twice his paycheck and beyond.

notice i put TWO years of davis stats in there- he improved his first year in ORL over his last year in boston and continues to improve this year, while bass continues to do exactly the opposite. 

so, UNLESS we are on the fast track to acquiring an up and coming 4/5 with LEGIT size like a FAVORS type guy- legit 6-10, why do you change out undersized 6-8 guys for a decidedly INFERIOR player in bass just to save $3m for ONE year and flush our whole help D down the toilet??

why you do that because doc rivers says so of course!!!  why did we let tony allen walk away?  has anyone seen how he has contributed, many times in INTANGIBLE WAYS to memphis' success the past few years???!!!!  say what you want, but davis is the same kind of hustle intangible player that allen was.  WHY WHY WHY?   what did we save, and what did we gain? 

the unprovoked mistakes in talent management and front office blunders of this team are getting awfully difficult to watch as time marches on and we get older and older.  look at paul milsap's numbers. 

anyone who thinks he is an answer is crazy.  he is going to want 10 million minimum next year.  hickson is a hard one to figure out- he looked terrible at times with cleveland and is another 6-9 undersized 4/5 playing on a basement team in the west.  i would have taken scola over bass in a HEARTBEAT and thrown in several steak dinners and a draft pick along with several hookers. at least scola has some sort of functionality and his defense is no worse than bass.  and he's cheaper.

was danny on vacation in july?

July 13, 2012: Waived by the Houston Rockets.

July 15, 2012: Signed as a free agent with the Phoenix Suns.

Glen Davis                     FTA    PTS     REB   2012-13    2013-14
    2012-13          per 36    4.2    17.8    8.6    6.4M          6.4M
    GLEN DAVIS
    2011-12        per 36    4.2    14.3    8.4
    Udonis Haslem
    2012-13          per 36    1.1    7.9      9.5    4M             4.3M
    Kris Humphries
    2012-13          per 36    4.2    11.3    7.8    12M           12M       
    Ersan Ilyasova   
    2012-13          per 36    2.6    13.6    8.6    7.9M           7.9M
    Paul Milsap
    2012-13          per 36    5.8    17.4    9.5    8.6M           F/A
    David West
    2012-13          per 36    4.3    18.3    8.7    10M            F/A
    Lamarcus Aldridge
    2012-13          per 36    4.9    19.8    7.5    13.5M        14.6M
    Carlos Boozer
    2012-13          per 36    3.1    17.1    11.6  15M            15.3M   
    Derrick Favors
    2012-13          per 36    6.5    15.0    11.2   6.0M          F/A
    J.J. Hickson   
    2012-13          per 36    3.9    15.3    8.2     4.0M          F/A
    Serge Ibaka
    2012-13          per 36    2.7    16.8    9.1     2.2M          12M
    Al Jefferson   
    2012-13          per 36    3.0    18.7    11.2   15M           F/A
    Luc Richard Mbah a Moute
    2012-13          per 36    6.5    14.6    8.8     4.8M          4.6M
    Luis Scola
    2012-13          per 36    2.9    17.0    9.1     4.1M          4.5M

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

I watched the first few weeks after we acquired Bass and was pretty happy with him. Had a good jumper, looked much more athletic than BBD and could finish at the rim. I loved the fact Bass could jam the ball instead of having 1/2 his layups blocked.  I liked the trade. Then I woke up.

In retrospect, we got the short end. Bass has become less relevant and a handicap to our defense.  He's got the deer-in-the-headlights look everytime the ball is passed in his direction. His indecision and panic is concerning and he appears as if each game is the first hes ever stepped on an nba court in that regard.

Unless hes got a wide open jumper or layup, hes confused... much like he plays defense. If our mantra is a defensive team, why did we pick up the anti-defensive player to start at the 4?

I miss the charges he took... even the charges he didnt take, opponents worried about coming into the lane.. keeping an eye out for him. He played tough defense, could play the 5 on some nights and always a hustler...

Calling BBD not a good player is false. He certainly showed signs of immaturity while with the C's.. DOc sure didnt do much to help him out. But BDD did show his value when KG went down and Davis finally got a real look... and boy were we all surprised.  BBD CARRIED THE CELTICS that playoff season...or did you forget??

I agree with acie that Doc alienated BBD. Davis messed up plenty too but its DOc job to straighten the kid out and set him on course. He didnt... instead he chased him away imo... much like he did Krystic.

After seeing Bass for an extended period and knowing BBD and what he was and is today... Im confident in saying..BBD I MISS YOU!! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

acie

Luis Scola was an amnesty player. That meant Scola had to undergo that bidding process for amnestied players. The Suns put a bid and they won the bid.

The Celts couldn't bid because bad teams had priority in the bidding process.

[/QUOTE]

Be careful you may confuse this dude.  Bass must have stole his lunch money at some point in time, and he has same admiration for Big Baby as I do Lebron James.   I guess he thinks he is the only one that has watched Bass and Baby play before. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to kyceltic's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I hated to see Big Baby go! I have my doubts that Sully will ever be as good as Baby was for the Celtics! 

[/QUOTE]

I disagree. Sully is ten times the post guy that Baby is and a better shooter. Only thing Davis has over him is defense(charges) and the fact he was given minutes right away and got chances to score. They NEVER feed Sully even though he is the best post player we have.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheNewGKDynasty. Show TheNewGKDynasty's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

You guys are crazy if you think the Celtics traded Big Baby. 

Let's get the facts right.

BBD was an unrestricted free-agent. The Celts were just fortunate that Orlando agreed to do a sign and trade with BBD. 

Again, the Celts didn't trade BBD, he was an unrestricted free-agent that the Celtics couldn't re-sign because the MLE was not enough.

[/QUOTE]

We're also crazy if we believe that you welched on your bet with Jamez. You were flushed out by #8 and forced to defend your honor.

Lets do get the facts right.... establish some cred.... and maybe go from there.

Pud

[/QUOTE]

Couldn't have put it better my self. You are of the few that aren't afraid of Clueless34 AKA Bandwagon34 AKA DebbieDowner34. Great post.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I watched the first few weeks after we acquired Bass and was pretty happy with him. Had a good jumper, looked much more athletic than BBD and could finish at the rim. I loved the fact Bass could jam the ball instead of having 1/2 his layups blocked.  I liked the trade. Then I woke up.

In retrospect, we got the short end. Bass has become less relevant and a handicap to our defense.  He's got the deer-in-the-headlights look everytime the ball is passed in his direction. His indecision and panic is concerning and he appears as if each game is the first hes ever stepped on an nba court in that regard.

Unless hes got a wide open jumper or layup, hes confused... much like he plays defense. If our mantra is a defensive team, why did we pick up the anti-defensive player to start at the 4?

I miss the charges he took... even the charges he didnt take, opponents worried about coming into the lane.. keeping an eye out for him. He played tough defense, could play the 5 on some nights and always a hustler...

Calling BBD not a good player is false. He certainly showed signs of immaturity while with the C's.. DOc sure didnt do much to help him out. But BDD did show his value when KG went down and Davis finally got a real look... and boy were we all surprised.  BBD CARRIED THE CELTICS that playoff season...or did you forget??

I agree with acie that Doc alienated BBD. Davis messed up plenty too but its DOc job to straighten the kid out and set him on course. He didnt... instead he chased him away imo... much like he did Krystic.

After seeing Bass for an extended period and knowing BBD and what he was and is today... Im confident in saying..BBD I MISS YOU!! 

[/QUOTE]

Once again.  Whether or not BBD is better than Bass or not is not the issue. Neither one is who any good team would want starting at the 4. Bass should go. BBD is gone.  What the Celtics need is someone better than either one of them.  At Best they are both average 4's.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[/QUOTE]

Once again.  Whether or not BBD is better than Bass or not is not the issue. Neither one is who any good team would want starting at the 4. Bass should go. BBD is gone.  What the Celtics need is someone better than either one of them.  At Best they are both average 4's.

[/QUOTE]

are you really mentally disabled?  at the time, we had the big 3, now we have the big 2 and green / rondo drinking in 20 million a year.  and you wanted a big 4?  you wanted / expect now a 10=15M dollar 4/5??  how that? 

if you can't FIND SOMETHING or make something work out of lesser parts, kind of like perkins was until he wanted a paycheck he wasn't worth, like DAVIS STILL IS WORTH (a bargain) AT SIX MILLION- if you can't find a player who is a "bargain" for their talents then you are doomed to fail.  that's the whole rub my cognitive dissonance addled buffoon

the model is there for all to see in the chicago bulls of the pre championship days.  they had oakley then no oakley.  not enough support cast.  it was the big two there.  they didn't win for years.  there's only so much pie to slice up for salaries.

snakes come on here and GIVE ME SOME DAMN NAMES of who you want to see here for a 4/5 solution instead of just talking empty smack.  we had a DAMM GOOD PIECE that was not perfect, NOTHING at six million dollar range is perfect, and doc rivers rode it out of town on a rail for FAKE REASONS and said player has now improved while bass and us and the lack of replacing davis' role AS a legit 5 spot duty man have ALL FAILED.

who is better than bass at 6M?  how ya gonna get them?  the cast of charcters is limited ou there in trade-land.  let's get down to b(r)ass tacks.  my brass tack is that bass is worth NOTHING right now.  he's playing like a D leaguer- you can't even trade him when he's like this.  beyond that WHO do you bring in, NAMES ONLY, not vague concepts.  we need a FOUR and a FIVE.  names and salaries please and who we trade.  it's time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

what we need now are TWO PIECES, people say "get gortat" and that's fine.  maybe you can trick up a deal to do that but gortat is due for a payday and that check is going up, not down.  for those reasons, i'd prefer to roll the dice with mozgov, a guy who is not on the front end of too much money for unknown contribs on a good team. 

but then you have to STILL get something other than bass to cover the 20 mins a night of 4 that KG won't play or the team is dead in the water.

the nice thing about davis is that he could multi task and do both 4/5 work.  he wasn't the best at either any given night, but got things done.  but screw the subjective, let's look at the numbers.  in 2010-11, when davis got hurt with the patellar tendon injury, he was our 5 to finish out games and doc rivers was on record as saying that he thought it worked really well.  true story, in doc's own words

remember now, fatshmeel o'neal and jabreel o'neal were both one legged horses for most of this season........   so it was either finish out games with davis or kristic or perkins who looked and played like he had hands of stone that year, and davis did much better with the help defense system.  anyway, just the stats, just the stats.  davis got hurt in game #60 and we were 45-15 at that point in time.  what did we finish the season at?  56-26.  after davis got hurt we were .500 ball the rest of the way.

now again- patellar tendon is a bad thing to strain.  we watched kg go through it and his injury was worse than davis.  when davis got hurt it was said that he would be out 10 games.  he was BACK in 7 days, but he was never the same player again.  so doc saddled up his favorite whipping boy and rode him out of town, all so we could save 3 million bucks for ONE YEAR on a player who does not even approach the contributions of what davis gave us. 

remember now, all you shlameels on this board said that bass was "so much better than davis" because you're all as shallow as a desolate housewife- this includes you too snakes you were on that bass bandwagon faster than picking up a free 20 dollar bill off the street.  just wanted some sugar coating- without even realizing how bass' career and stats were trending through his time in orlando- which was ostensibly and inexplicably DOWN as far as PER stats go, for a guy who was what, 25??!!  how do you like bass' shiny muskulls now?  they're worthless when attached to a player with a basketball IQ of 47.

this is as the world turns starring danny ainge as the feckless nincompoop who deigns to have no control over what's best for his basketball operation, doc rivers as the ship captain who hates anyone as a player that he doesn't like personally or who isn't 10000% meek and subservient (other than rondo, kg, pierce, allen), to the detriment of the team if need be. 

you stinking hypcrites loved it every time doc picked up the phone and shat on davis to a newspaper reporter.  all things being equal isn't it time for some lilliputian doc fingers to dial the ringy dingy to take a dump on bass' horrible play to the globe?  how mature is bass right now that he can't cup his nuts and do SOMETHING out there for us other than be terrible every night.....  he didn't used to be like this, did he?  well wha happen? 

so come on and tell me, i'm DYING to know, who is our back up piece at the 4.  and if you say "sullinger" then you are signing the death certificate for this team as far as the playoffs go.  i LIKE sullinger and i think he has potential to be the NEXT big 4/5 UNDERPAID scrappy gritty guy but there is no way he's ready this year.  or i should say the chances are very small.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

[QUOTE]

http://youtu.be/rzbPq19qXbw

Obviously this player remains a destructive AND disruptive force for his new and current team, tearing the place apart with locker room antics, immaturity, poor performances, massive ego and overall lack of hustle. 

[/QUOTE]

In hindsight I regret the trading of Bass for Seed. We did have to replace a departing Baby tho so Bass was something needed. Bass has all the tools to succeed but lacks confidence in some shape or form. He would be better served shooting w/out thinking when RR puts the ball perfectly in the natural flow as opposed to hesitating and double clutching. He also should learn to jump off one foot on his drives to the hole so he can add some and one's to his scoring totals. The C's miss Seed's toughness & ability to play the 5. More importantly is his level of confidence. He is truly from his father's seed...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

This just keeps getting better!!!  I assume that Bass is telling the truth.  Rivers is KEEPING HIM from making any effort to post up???   The guy can shoot 80% or better from the free throw line.  We DO NOT HAVE "too many" inside players!!!  Why would Doc think that?!

All I want for Christmas is doc rivvars to go away

-------------------------------------

Bass is considered a pick-and-pop player, meaning he is best setting screens and then canning jumpers.

Such a reputation is difficult to shake, but the 27-year-old Bass wants to be regarded for more than his outside shooting.

“I want to [take opponents in the post] but Doc would rather me just pick-and-pop but I want to,” Bass said. “That’s part of my game that I’ve always been good at over the years. But I think Doc just wants me to be a pick-and-pop because we already have the guys who do enough isos here, so I guess he don’t want me to be the third or the fourth guy to have the offense stagnant.”

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/2012/10/15/brandon-bass-tries-stay-focused-despite-being-unsure-his-role-for-this-%20season/HBUp53sUJtVR9bFFQJNhgO/story.html

---------------------------------

It seems to me like Rivers specializes in accumulating players who are unsure of their roles.  Davis said it when he was here.  Bass is saying it now.  Everything Jeff Green's body and face tells us when he's on the floor, in addition to the wildly zig zagging line chart of his minutes played per game.............  

And people really thought at some point, at any point that Rivers was a "great" coach???  He's great at confusing the living hell out of these guys, that's all.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to kyceltic's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I hated to see Big Baby go! I have my doubts that Sully will ever be as good as Baby was for the Celtics! 

[/QUOTE]

I disagree. Sully is ten times the post guy that Baby is and a better shooter. Only thing Davis has over him is defense(charges) and the fact he was given minutes right away and got chances to score. They NEVER feed Sully even though he is the best post player we have.

[/QUOTE]
    Definitely agree with you about Sully.  He is at least as good as Davis and probably will be better than him in the future.  He is still learning and will only get better as the season progresses. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

If Baby was on our team it wouldn't solve the fundamental problems. Baby badly needed a change of scenery, it was a great wake up call to him and he grew up a bit. I still think his weight problems are going to limit his career but he's having a good season. 

That said Bass did outplay him for a stretch and Bass is overall cheaper and much lower maintenance. I would not, however, have resigned Bass. 

The biggest problem with out team has nothing to do with Baby, who is a little better than Bass. 

If I had to pick one it was bidding against ourselves to sign Jeff Green to a fat contract he showed no signs of being worthy of. Now we're stuck with him. 

" E'Twaun Moore, a seldom used Celtics G, is playing about 24 minutes a game for Orlando and averaging nearly 10 PPG.  His has upside potential.  If you never play the guys, how can they develop confidence and ablity?    "

A very valid point, we could use that kind of contribution right now....

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

You guys are crazy if you think the Celtics traded Big Baby. 

Let's get the facts right.

BBD was an unrestricted free-agent. The Celts were just fortunate that Orlando agreed to do a sign and trade with BBD. 

Again, the Celts didn't trade BBD, he was an unrestricted free-agent that the Celtics couldn't re-sign because the MLE was not enough.

[/QUOTE]

We're also crazy if we believe that you welched on your bet with Jamez. You were flushed out by #8 and forced to defend your honor.

Lets do get the facts right.... establish some cred.... and maybe go from there.

Pud

[/QUOTE]

What an idiotic red herring. Lose the debate on facts then change the subject and whine and because he didn't agree to stay away. Presumbably so he wouldn't be around to whoop on you in debates. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to snakeoil123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

the difference is that bass is MURDERING this team right now.  davis did not hurt anything.  he in fact enabled our HELP DEFENSE SYSTEM- and was the catalyst for it.  we don' thave that any more, and are rather exposed. 

so when danny dummy went and got rid of the guy they not just had to get a 4 but also someone to cover the 5 stuff that davis did and preferably someone with an iota of help defense in them.  given time (that we don't have) sullinger may be that.

my next post will illustrate, statistically what a BUM bass is and what a comparative BARGAIN davis is.  it's not an obsession, moron, it's just the simple facts that we made a big old mistake.  just like when gavitt shooed bird away when he wanted to be part of the organization, just like when tony allen walked away, just like a lot of things this team has done stupidly.

and we don't have any room for error right now.  THIS is the difference between competing and not competing- what bass DOES NOT give us for the money paid

[/QUOTE]

Did you miss the playoffs against Miami two years ago when Baby absolutely KILLED US? 

Sections
Shortcuts