A plea for peace in a moribund off-season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

A plea for peace in a moribund off-season

Background:  For about five years early in the century, I shared an office with a Yankees fan.  I’m a lifelong Red Sox person.  We did not come in in the morning and spend all day calling each other names, telling each other our teams sucked, mocking each other, etc.

Instead we talked baseball.  Talked about last night’s games, team strategy, strengths, weaknesses, off-season signings and acquisitions, what we liked and didn’t like about our own and the other guy’s team (and some of the idiotic “fans” that gave both our teams bad names).  It was great.

Is it possible to do that on this board?  We all love basketball.  I don‘t doubt that the Laker trolls really love basketball.  I don’t doubt the really obnoxious Celtics fans love basketball.  Can we talk real basketball without calling each other morons?  Without assuming that rooting for the other team is a deficiency of character?  Without presuming that the other team personifies evil?  Without bringing up 20 or 30 or 40 years of history that has little bearing on this year’s games?

I realize that might be showing too much maturity – but it would make this a place where people would want to be, instead of getting steamed by rampant infantilism.  We’ve all been fortunate.  In 2008 the Celtics were the best team in the league and we were happy and proud.  In 2009 it was the Lakers and in 2011 the Mavs – and their respective fans were happy and proud. In 2010 it was pretty much a wash – but someone had to win and half of us were upset, but that’s sports.

Given that we most likely have a dead off-season (or even a short or missing season), maybe we can do something constructive to re-build goodwill on this site.  A good show of good faith would be for Fiercest34 et al to ditch his HAHAHA!!!, and Laker-Nation to remove his flag – both of which are little more than cyber-nose-thumbing.  Then maybe we can talk basketball like adults.  If it works, many people would be happy.  If it doesn’t, at least I tried.

Cheers --

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Re: A plea for peace in a moribund off-season

In Response to A plea for peace in a moribund off-season:
    Background:   For about five years early in the century, I shared an office with a Yankees fan.   I’m a lifelong Red Sox person.   We did not come in in the morning and spend all day calling each other names, telling each other our teams sucked, mocking each other, etc. Instead we talked baseball.   Talked about last night’s games, team strategy, strengths, weaknesses, off-season signings and acquisitions, what we liked and didn’t like about our own and the other guy’s team (and some of the idiotic “fans” that gave both our teams bad names).   It was great. Is it possible to do that on this board?   We all love basketball.   I don‘t doubt that the Laker trolls really love basketball.   I don’t doubt the really obnoxious Celtics fans love basketball.   Can we talk real basketball without calling each other morons?   Without assuming that rooting for the other team is a deficiency of character?   Without presuming that the other team personifies evil?   Without bringing up 20 or 30 or 40 years of history that has little bearing on this year’s games? I realize that might be showing too much maturity – but it would make this a place where people would want to be, instead of getting steamed by rampant infantilism.   We’ve all been fortunate.   In 2008 the Celtics were the best team in the league and we were happy and proud.   In 2009 it was the Lakers and in 2011 the Mavs – and their respective fans were happy and proud. In 2010 it was pretty much a wash – but someone had to win and half of us were upset, but that’s sports. Given that we most likely have a dead off-season (or even a short or missing season), maybe we can do something constructive to re-build goodwill on this site.   A good show of good faith would be for Fiercest34 et al to ditch his HAHAHA!!!, and Laker-Nation to remove his flag – both of which are little more than cyber-nose-thumbing.   Then maybe we can talk basketball like adults.   If it works, many people would be happy.   If it doesn’t, at least I tried. Cheers --
    Posted by Number6Fan

Well said. Spoken with a real understanding of the Celtic tradition of inclusion, diversity and mutual respect for others.

Red would be proud.

Pud

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 21st. Show 21st's posts

Deja vu, that's how it feels when I first saw Mployee's new signature. It has Rico's aura. lol 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JREwing. Show JREwing's posts

Honestly, in order to keep peace on this board, Henry Kissenger would have to come out of retirement with his best efforts formerly aimed at the Jews And Arabs to even keep a semblance of civility here!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTruthsays. Show TheTruthsays's posts

I propose making a sacrifice of Communist Contrarian to prove our dedication of cleaning up this forum of stupidity and narcissism

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

Another thread down the toilet.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

Well, I tried.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

"6".........the problem is that you are an adult and act in the same manner......many of these posters are young troll types.....while we would not talk to anyone face to face in the way that they do in this forum, I'm betting that these kids WOULD say the same things face to face it this were a playground....as Kirk suggested....take advantage of "ignore".....it saves a lot of time and wasted reading....now, some troll may have a put down waiting for me....fortunately, I won't have to read it....I enjoy 95% of the posts from fans of other teams....but I'm not going to reduce myself to babysitting little pissants!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

It's a sports forum. What did you expect? Tea chat?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: A plea for peace in a moribund off-season:
    It's a sports forum. What did you expect? Tea chat?
    Posted by CubanPete

How about grown up chat.

Pud

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from calvinator. Show calvinator's posts

The ignore button is a beautiful thing.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakersavenger. Show lakersavenger's posts

As long as the Lakers are referred to in such derogatory terms such as fakers, rapist, kome, etc, and then being called idiot, jerk, etc,especially by the likes of weirdos such as Gladys Kravits (aka red-russ) you can pretty much expect this kind of trash to continue. I swing back from beiing civil then back to giving back in kind to people like Gladys and then then back to civil  when talking to level headed and courteous posters, but unfortunately the latter group seems to be the majority here. You all reap what you sow. Duke, I find can be at times courteous and fair then lets his extreme partisanship skew stats and figures to make him feel better about 25 years of Celtic failure. But at least he builds his unfounded case without name-calling. But you know what? I kind of find it fun to fire back at the abusive name-callers with the same stuff they give out, and then to see themselves act the victim.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

As long as the Lakers are referred to in such derogatory terms such as fakers, rapist, kome, etc, and then being called idiot, jerk, etc,especially by the likes of weirdos such as Gladys Kravits (aka red-russ) you can pretty much expect this kind of trash to continue. I swing back from beiing civil then back to giving back in kind to people like Gladys and then then back to civil  when talking to level headed and courteous posters, but unfortunately the latter group seems to be the majority here. You all reap what you sow. Duke, I find can be at times courteous and fair then lets his extreme partisanship skew stats and figures to make him feel better about 25 years of Celtic failure. But at least he builds his unfounded case without name-calling. But you know what? I kind of find it fun to fire back at the abusive name-callers with the same stuff they give out, and then to see themselves act the victim.
    Posted by lakersavenger

I agree with a lot of what you have to say. Its not just Laker fans who get insulted here. The goons come after anyone whose views diverge from theirs... including Celtic fans too whose loyalties/motives are immediately and constantly questioned.

It is tempting to fire back and watch the goons/crazies flip-flop and play victims.

BDC has some of the highest IQ BB minds mixed in with some of the very lowest IMHO... and, all too often, the lowest drive the agenda.

Pud

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakersavenger. Show lakersavenger's posts

In Response to Re: A plea for peace in a moribund off-season : I agree!!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11

But you can't stand the curiosity, can't you Gladys? You ol' snoop.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

The Laker fans are in here to troll, so there's no use pleading for civility. Interestingly enough it's different in the Sox forum where there are actually some reasonable and thoughtful Yankee fans posting and there are good discussions. But that's not why the Laker fans in this forum are here. Too bad, there could be some discussions. Even the Pats forum has a couple opposing fans that can offer some reasonable contributions sometimes. 

Fierce and Mployee need to settle their beef for the good of this forum. That's within their power to do without a mod's intervention. For now I have mployee on ignore due to that ridiculous signature. Don't need to see that all the time. 

Pud, great that you are advocating civility, it would help a lot if you did not tie virtually all your postings into an anti-Rondo rant or jab. I don't mind some Rondo criticism, he's hardly flawless, but you bring every post back to hammering Rondo. I think I've read your dis about Rondo being cut from the Olympic team more than 100 times. That kind of thing is far from discussion, that's just twisting the knife. If you're such a fan of reasonable basketball conversation, see if you can talk about the Celtics without bringing it back to Rondo hate all the time. It's not the fact that you don't like Rondo that bothers me and other posters, I have plenty of critiques myself. Your relentlessness about that one topic puts you in troll territory and I think you can be better than that, which in turn would improve the discourse in this forum. If you walk around thinking that the problem is that others can't handle criticism, you're not understanding your own impact here as an anti-Rondo crusader. If you stop the crusade you'll find folks can handle your criticisms, when they are aired occasionally and not in every thread.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

The Laker fans are in here to troll, so there's no use pleading for civility. Interestingly enough it's different in the Sox forum where there are actually some reasonable and thoughtful Yankee fans posting and there are good discussions. But that's not why the Laker fans in this forum are here. Too bad, there could be some discussions. Even the Pats forum has a couple opposing fans that can offer some reasonable contributions sometimes.  Fierce and Mployee need to settle their beef for the good of this forum. That's within their power to do without a mod's intervention. For now I have mployee on ignore due to that ridiculous signature. Don't need to see that all the time.  Pud, great that you are advocating civility, it would help a lot if you did not tie virtually all your postings into an anti-Rondo rant or jab. I don't mind some Rondo criticism, he's hardly flawless, but you bring every post back to hammering Rondo. I think I've read your dis about Rondo being cut from the Olympic team more than 100 times. That kind of thing is far from discussion, that's just twisting the knife. If you're such a fan of reasonable basketball conversation, see if you can talk about the Celtics without bringing it back to Rondo hate all the time. It's not the fact that you don't like Rondo that bothers me and other posters, I have plenty of critiques myself. Your relentlessness about that one topic puts you in troll territory and I think you can be better than that, which in turn would improve the discourse in this forum. If you walk around thinking that the problem is that others can't handle criticism, you're not understanding your own impact here as an anti-Rondo crusader. If you stop the crusade you'll find folks can handle your criticisms, when they are aired occasionally and not in every thread.
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker

Reading between the lines, you are suggesting that posters are to blame for the incivility shown them by other posters.

Is that your position?

Pud 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

Number6Fan,
    A short answer to your question "Is it possible to do that on this board?" is NO.
    Unfortunately, there're quite a few trolls some of them pretending to be Lakers fans. On the other side there're quite a few Celtics fans with equally "mature" behavior. These two groups create a lot of mess you have to weed out in order to get to decent, interesting discussions.
    Unfortunately the plea of the likes of Kirk to use ignore button and don't respond to obvious flames and insults fall mostly on deaf ears.
    On the bright side the trolls come and go. So, just be patient and use common sence.

AK

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: A plea for peace in a moribund off-season : Reading between the lines, you are suggesting that posters are to blame for the incivility shown them by other posters. Is that your position? Pud 
    Posted by puddinpuddin

BTS: Said another way, posters who adopt unpopular positions and persist deserve what they get?

Is that what you are suggesting?

Sounds like it to me.

Pud

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts