A possible way to kick start the Clipper deal?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

A possible way to kick start the Clipper deal?

the Clippers  supposedly want Granger from Indiana.

They obviously want KG and Doc

Ainge wants young pieces for a re-build

The Pacers want a new PG

so how about a 3 team trade along these lines:

Ind -gets Bledsoe from LA and Terry (or Lee) from boston.

LA- gets Garnett, Granger and rights to Doc

Boston- gets Jordan, Butler, #23 pick from Indiana this year and LA's first rounder next year.

then Ainge trades Pierce to cleveland for their #19 pick in this years draft. (there is a rumour that Cleveland wnats a vet player to go with all those top 5 draft picks they have on the team AND that some inquiries about Pierce have happened).

Possible roster after the draft.

C- JOrdan

C- Melo

C-  Plumlee or Dieng (#19 pick)

PF- Bass

PF- Sullinger

PF-

SF- Green

SF- Butler (final year of deal)

SF- T. Mitchell, Sarasev or Rice ( #23 pick)

SG- Bradley

SG- Lee

SG- Crawford

PG- Rondo

PG- Schroeder or Larkin ( #16 pick)

PG- D. Collison ( FA signing to protect against ROndo coming back slow and possible  Robdo trade during next season).

2- first round picks in next years draft.

Sign a HC that will use and develope YOUNG players

Rebuild kick started.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Re: A possible way to kick start the Clipper deal?

kdp,

well thought out on your part.  very reasonable ideas.

the only thing that i don't like is that the celtics get the clippers' first round pick in 2014 and that pick could be somewhere between 25 and 30 which may not bring a top level player.

there is no reason not to continue to approach the clippers with adjusted ideas as they want rivers and garnett to help them keep paul.  the celtics really cannot bring rivers back and letting him go with garnett and pierce really begins the team makeover that is needed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

I like the idea ... I'd say two things (for Rame)

1. Indianna probably doesn't want Eric Bledsoe as much as the Orlando Magic do.

2. Indianna probably isn't as eager to let go of Granger as Orlando is with Afflalo

So I'd say Rame's idea of a 3 way with the Magic that nets the Clippers Afflalo, KG and Doc with only giving up Butler, Bledsoe, Jordan and probably one pick, is more likely.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Monday morning quarterback I know but if KG had not been so stubborn and waived his no trade and PP went with him, maybe the Clippers would have been playing Miami. These 2 HOF could have gotten a ring together and if they played another year enjoyed beating the Lakers and then retired in La La land where they have homes. And Doc would be staying with us if anyone cares.

And we would have had Bledsoe( remember w/o Rondo he would have solved our PG issues), and had Jordan for rebounding after Sully went down and 6'7" Butler could have taken PP's place. Please I'm not saying he is as good as PP but along with Green, they'd been effective.

And now we could be thinking about trading Bledsoe or Rondo and maybe Butler too and also getting rid of Terry, Lee & maybe Bass.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

I like the idea ... I'd say two things (for Rame)

1. Indianna probably doesn't want Eric Bledsoe as much as the Orlando Magic do.

2. Indianna probably isn't as eager to let go of Granger as Orlando is with Afflalo

So I'd say Rame's idea of a 3 way with the Magic that nets the Clippers Afflalo, KG and Doc with only giving up Butler, Bledsoe, Jordan and probably one pick, is more likely.

Yeah, this 3-way is pretty similar to the idea I had, make sure the Clippers get that asset they need for Bledsoe while also delivering KG/Doc.

You are right R9R, the Magic want Bledsoe more (Hill is a good PG, even if he can swing over and play some SG being like 6'4") and with Granger on board in LA there is less space for Pierce and more of a need for SG. I assumed all along PP would join them. The Magic are also one of the only teams that can claim PP off waivers. A 3-team with them would involve a 'wink-wink' assurance that he will sail smoothly into Clipperland.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I'd also prefer Moe Harkless and Doron Lamb to Indiana's pick #23 this year and the Clippers pick in the 23-29 range next year. But the value is similar. We lost on Bledsoe and wanted two picks or a contract absorbed. In either trade we get all 3.

No deal is dead until the Clips actually hire a coach. But with the way idiot Sterling bungled this one I see it hard to revive the trade talks. KG alone was worth Jordan and a '14 #1 pick in the 23-29 range. No way Doc should have been allowed to go there for free, especially with PP likely on his way there down the road. Doc's not as great as many think, but he is way better for a title run than Shaw/Hollins and easily worth another #1 pick or absorbing one moderately bad contract of a player like Terry/Lee who will actually really help them, not be dead weight.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

I can see where Orlando makes more sense for Bledsoe...but I can't see them giving up Harkless in that deal.

Lamb and they certainly won't give up #2 for that deal and the other pick they have is #51 I believe.

replacing Ind with Orlando I would prefer:

Orl- gets Bledsoe from LA and Terry from boston

LA- gets KG, Afflalo, Right to Sign Doc

Boston- gets Jordan, Butler, 2014 first round pick from LA and Nicholson from Orlando

orlando gives up $9.2M in Salarys and takes back  less than $8M.

LA- gives up about $20M in salarys and takes back close to $19M

Boston gives up over $16M in salarys and takes back  $19.5M

Of course this will only really work if Pierce is dealt, Bought out or Amnestied...to keep the Celtics below the luxury cap.

so again I look to se if Cleveland is an option for that #19 pick this year.

Roster then:

C- Jordan

C- Melo

C-

PF- Bass

PF- Sullinger

PF- Nicholson

SF- Green

SF- Butler

SF

SG- Bradley

SG- Lee

SG- Crawford

PG- Rondo

PG-

PG-

with two picks at #16 & #19 ainge could fill a PG and Center or PG and SF spot ( depending on who is there).

should be enough cap space for at least the Mid-level exception for either Center or vet PG (especially if Moving Rondo at some point before or during the season is expected).

not a championship team, but has some young pieces and 2 first round picks next year also.

my IDEAL move would also be to somehow trade Rondo to Atlanta for Al Horford....but I think I am already in la-la land with all of the above moves.

Wink

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

kdp59

Good fun food for thought.  It could satisfy everyone.

but a couple of minor corections.  Plumlee is a PF not a true C.  Be great if he could replace Bass as your starting F.  

Schroeder should be around until the Knicks pick at 25, so I would pick him (in your scenario) at 23.  

Plumlee may be available at 16 but likely gone by 19.  Same with Dieng.  Don't think you would get both.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to kdp59's comment:

I can see where Orlando makes more sense for Bledsoe...but I can't see them giving up Harkless in that deal.

Lamb and they certainly won't give up #2 for that deal and the other pick they have is #51 I believe.

replacing Ind with Orlando I would prefer:

Orl- gets Bledsoe from LA and Terry from boston

LA- gets KG, Afflalo, Right to Sign Doc

Boston- gets Jordan, Butler, 2014 first round pick from LA and Nicholson from Orlando

With Tobias Harris on their roster, giving them two young SF's in that 20-22 age range, I would have felt the Magic value Nicholson more than Harkless. I guess they do have Big Baby and Al Harrington signed through 2015, but those guys are 27 and 33.

You'd think the goal is to surround Vucevic (22), Nicholson (23) Harkless (20) and/or Harris (21) with the #2 pick (19 yr old McLemore or 21 yr old Oladipo) and Bledsoe (23)

Clearly they would want to dump one of Baby or Harrington but since that is next to impossible with their 7-8m salaries, I'd assume one of those 2 SF's is available if they get a young starting PG back. Bledsoe and Oladipo/McLemore is clearly more valuable to them than reaching for Trey Burke at #2 and paying a soon to be 28 Aaron Afflalo 23 million over 3 years. Right when all those kids are ready to contend he'll be 30 and a FA.

Maybe they would be ok paying Lee 60% of Afflalo's contract for 80% the production, gain an additional 1st rd pick and project big in Melo and give up one of their 2 SF's when they won't be able to keep (or find playing time) for both when their rookie deals are up.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

stupid me.......I thought the Clippers didn't have a first round pick this year!!

But I guess they are back talking now....I would guess something gets done in a day. Most likely not what any of us would prefer (maybe just Jordan and two first).

oh well we should know soon

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

I think if you're going the total rebuild route, there's 3 big steps:

You help the Cippers keep Paul with the KG trade, getting Jordan and 2 picks at the very least.

You trade PP for what you can get for him. Cavs won't trade the 1, but the nineteen and/or next year's maybe. I feel that he needs to be sent somewhere that's going to put hime in a position to be successful, and I think the Cavs have a team that could be sneaky good.
    Irving, Ellington, PP, Thompson, and Varejao with Livingston, Gibson, Waiters, Gee, Miles, Speights and Zeller on the bench is a fairly solid young team in need of everything PP brings. That way they can feel good about spending the #1 on Noel or Len and not reach with the pick for Porter for fit or Oladipo for his leadership qualities.

Since you've helped the Clippers keep Paul, you now have a bunch of squads with money and only 2 big free agents on the market. I say help a team make up the toughest big 3 to root for in the history of the game with Smith Howard and Rondo. Ideally this would be a trio you'd create in the West somewhere like Dallas or Houston, but Atlanta would be a very good fit as well.

After that you fill out the rest of the roster. Everything I read has the Mavs practically giving away the #13 pick...If they actually would sell it, just get it for cash considerations. And then go to a team that has a solid roster looking to make a move this year with one really bad, but expiring contract. I think there has to be a team out there who could use a Bass/Lee and maybe Crawford group that could bring back a bad contract that would be gone next year.

All in all, you build around Green and Sully looking for Bradley to come off the bench. You get as many picks as humanly possible. With all of these moves you get 2 1st rounders from the Clippers, maybe 2 1st rounders from the Cavs, at least a #1 coming back for Rondo, the #13 from Dallas, and maybe a pick for other pieces. That leaves you with a possibility of 10 picks in the next couple drafts....just the odds alone there leave you with one great player, if not a full team of solid players.

Obviously just a bunch of thoughts put together, with 3 real points, but the possibilities are out there for a really good kickstart.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Do the Cavs have a massive trade exception I am missing? How on earth can they simply trade a pick for PP?

Everyone keeps saying to trade Paul for the 19th pick, ummmm.... how?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

According to Hoopsworld, right now they have $27,483,284 guaranteed for 2013-2014. With the qualifying offers, non guaranteed contracts and player options included it comes to $42,536,311...which leaves them with 17.5 in cap room. I don't know if they have anyone they want to dump...the only player that's making much money is Varejao with a little over 9 mil, but I doubt they want to just get rid of him. Now I'm not a capologist...that's just the info I've pulled off one site, but it looks doable for just the pick. I'm sure the C's wouldn't mind bringing back one of the 3-5 mil contracts that just about every other player on the Cavs has...they'd still be saving 10 of the 15 mil, but this time they'd have players/picks in return instead of just cutting the Captain.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

Do the Cavs have a massive trade exception I am missing? How on earth can they simply trade a pick for PP?

here is a link to pretty good site that has teams salary info

http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/

I have heard the cap was to be around $58M next year (thats salary cap not luxury cap).

a team would have to be BELOW $58M to take on Pierce's contract, Basically.

even San Antonio is a possible partner (though it would leave them with maybe only the MLe for additional FA's (Splitter).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to kdp59's comment:

In response to rameakap's comment:

here is a link to pretty good site that has teams salary info

http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/

I have heard the cap was to be around $58M next year (thats salary cap not luxury cap).

a team would have to be BELOW $58M to take on Pierce's contract, Basically.

even San Antonio is a possible partner (though it would leave them with maybe only the MLe for additional FA's (Splitter).

Disagree

Right now wouldn't a team have to be 16 million under the current cap to take Pierce, b/c in 2012-13 he made 16 million?

After July 1st  Pierce will either be waived, or be paid 15.3 million, so any team wanting him would have to be 15.3m UNDER that 58 million.

Sections
Shortcuts