1. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

A quarter of the season will be over by Nov 30

- Sean Grande

Q: What does this mean?

• Quick start, lots of pressure for Stevens
    • Not many windows for practices
    • Not much time for the team to gel
    • Potential for many games early without Rondo

= a bittersweet potential 4-17 start? maybe? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Re: A quarter of the season will be over by Nov 30

Also, at the same time, April is looking to be quite interesting...

We play:

Washington (2)

Philly (2)

Charlotte

Atlanta

Detroit

So Washington and Detroit will be competitive games with both teams trying to get a better playoff spot in the 6-8 range. It'll be interesting to see if Charlotte and Atlanta are trying to get that 8th spot or if they'll be out of it. Smells like a lot of trash games with a high impact on draft night.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Another layer to this onion:

More articles out today suggesting Rondo will miss that first month of action. Digest that with the fact that 1/4 of all regular season games are in that first month ...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

If Rondo is held out for the first month, after all indications and reports say he should be ready for the opener, it means to me that Danny wants to position him for a trade in December.  That would give Rondo enough games to show he is healthy and can play.  I would guess Stevens (via Danny) will have Rondo dominate the ball and scoring plays for the 10-15 games before Dec trade date.  Play enough but not too much to risk further injury and negate his trade value.  

Incorporating a starting PG into a lineup takes some time and adjustment, so I doubt that a team trades for a PG in February for a final playoff push.  

Rondo for a quality Big man (with other players/contracts that would include any combo of Bass, Wallace, Crawford, Melo and Bogans) probably a three team deal, so Danny can move as much detritus as possible to clean the slate for 2014-2015 seasson.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

If Rondo is held out for the first month, after all indications and reports say he should be ready for the opener, it means to me that Danny wants to position him for a trade in December.  That would give Rondo enough games to show he is healthy and can play.  I would guess Stevens (via Danny) will have Rondo dominate the ball and scoring plays for the 10-15 games before Dec trade date.  Play enough but not too much to risk further injury and negate his trade value.  

Incorporating a starting PG into a lineup takes some time and adjustment, so I doubt that a team trades for a PG in February for a final playoff push.  

Rondo for a quality Big man (with other players/contracts that would include any combo of Bass, Wallace, Crawford, Melo and Bogans) probably a three team deal, so Danny can move as much detritus as possible to clean the slate for 2014-2015 seasson.   

I have to say that being a Rondo fan, I find the speculation above to quite something.  Perhaps it is reasonable from your perspective.  I prefer to believe that it serves Danny's purpose to not hurry Rondo's rehab but more from tanking point of view.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Rondo is not going anywhere.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

Whether or not Rondo goes anywhere (and I'm beginning to think he WON'T) this is likely to help the Celts get into the good part of the lottery because they SHOULD NOT rush Rondo back until he's fully ready...and that in no way means they'll be "tanking" just playing the way a young, centerless team with no interior D , no rebounding, a new coach with no NBA experience and NO PG leadership should be...pretty bad...but that's OK...you gotta get better physically, then mentally, before you can excell...they are three years and two decent drafts away from relevance.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to nyjetssuc's comment:

Whether or not Rondo goes anywhere (and I'm beginning to think he WON'T) this is likely to help the Celts get into the good part of the lottery because they SHOULD NOT rush Rondo back until he's fully ready...and that in no way means they'll be "tanking" just playing the way a young, centerless team with no interior D , no rebounding, a new coach with no NBA experience and NO PG leadership should be...pretty bad...but that's OK...you gotta get better physically, then mentally, before you can excell...they are three years and two decent drafts away from relevance.

As has been mentioned here, tanking can happen at multiple levels.  The coach and the players should not be involved in tanking.  In fact, they should be doing everything to win.  It is the GM that is managing the tanking.

Semantics aside, the three year plan that you mention needs 2 things to happen:

1) Jeff Green picks up where he left off last season.

2) Atleast one more star caliber player emerges.

That will be the best case scenario for the Celts.  Otherwise Danny will have the tough choice of committing long term to players without having a full roster.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Who said Pressey would be our PG post Rondo?  That won't happen.  Pressey is a backup.

Sections
Shortcuts