A question about Red Auerbach

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill2. Show aussiewill2's posts

A question about Red Auerbach

With all the technology available today, we see coaches with the white board writing plays to get the last shot. The coaches today earn $7 mil and more per year. 

When Red coached, he probably got $5K his first year, all he ever did was WIN . Red's teams, dominated year after year . I think they won 9 in a row, it should have been 11 in a row. 57-58 Russell sprains his ankle in the playoffs,  and can't play, Bob Pettit wins his only championship. Again in 66 Big Bill , was injured , and the great the Sixers were strong with Wilt at the peak of his game and the brilliant shooting Billy Cunningham and Luke Jackson bigger , younger stronger than Russell .  Did Russell make Red or did Red make Russell ?

I watched many Celtic games from 58 -70  the only thing Auerbach did on the bench , was light his Cigar. He'd pull the Havana Cigar and light it up on the bench, meaning the game was over. How would you like that if your the opposing coach.  I think he lit the cigar in the begining  of the 3 rd period one night, they were up by 30 at the half. When Red lit the Cigar it was over for sure.

My question :  What made Red Auerbach great?  and don;t tell me the Larry Bird  story or how he stole the draft rights to Bill Russell from St.Louis. Had the St. Louis Hawks got Russell , to go with Bob Pettit and others they would have been unbeatable, but Red stole Russell , then he steals Bird by drafting a year early and getting away with it, and the rest is history.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill2. Show aussiewill2's posts

Re: A question about Red Auerbach

In response to aussiewill2's comment:

With all the technology available today, we see coaches with the white board writing plays to get the last shot. The coaches today earn $7 mil and more per year. 

When Red coached, he probably got $5K his first year, all he ever did was WIN . Red's teams, dominated year after year . I think they won 9 in a row, it should have been 11 in a row. 57-58 Russell sprains his ankle in the playoffs,  and can't play, Bob Pettit wins his only championship. Again in 66 Big Bill , was injured , and the great the Sixers were strong with Wilt at the peak of his game and the brilliant shooting Billy Cunningham and Luke Jackson bigger , younger stronger than Russell .  Did Russell make Red or did Red make Russell ?

I watched many Celtic games from 58 -70  the only thing Auerbach did on the bench , was light his Cigar. He'd pull the Havana Cigar and light it up on the bench, meaning the game was over. How would you like that if your the opposing coach.  I think he lit the cigar in the begining  of the 3 rd period one night, they were up by 30 at the half. When Red lit the Cigar it was over for sure.

My question :  What made Red Auerbach great?  and don;t tell me the Larry Bird  story or how he stole the draft rights to Bill Russell from St.Louis. Had the St. Louis Hawks got Russell , to go with Bob Pettit and others they would have been unbeatable, but Red stole Russell , then he steals Bird by drafting a year early and getting away with it, and the rest is history.

Red actually retired after the 66 season, he knew when to quit. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Pretty good question...

I think if you had to chose one or the other.... Russell made Red. 

Maybe Red could be greatest GM of all time with the Russ and Bird picks

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

But . . . it took a special coach to recognize what Russell was bringing to the game, and use it.  A lot of coaches didn't or wouldn't.   Red had an extraordinary eye for talent.  There's a story that he went to scout Cowens in Florida -- after about a minute of the game, he made a big show of throwing down his program in dusgust and leaving.  He'd seen all he needed to and threw everyone else off track. :-)

As far as game coaching went, he did call plays from the bench -- certainly did more than sit there and light up cigars.  He was as good then as the best coaches are today about knowing what buttons to push to get the most out of individual players. 

Also, remember he did all the scouting and drafting, made travel arrangements, and didn't have three assistant coaches sitting on the bench with him.  Like Tony Soprano, he was just smarter than everyone else.  :-)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

....and Red knew how to play the refs.....just ask Mendy Rudolph....their shouting matches were legendary..!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

The Celtics of old had six plays.  They ran them all to perfection.

What made Red  great was that he was a master motivator.

What made Red great was that his players would run through a wall for him (or in the case of Wilt Chamberlain - BE a wall)

What made Red great was that at a time of racial unrest in Boston, he did not see color.

What made Red great was that he treated Bill Russell with care and respect.

In addtion to being a phenomenal basketball mind, Red used mind games before they were used by anyone else.

Red was the BOSS, and all the players knew it.

His 16 rings is a testament to his greatness.  There will never be another.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

Pretty good question...

I think if you had to chose one or the other.... Russell made Red. 

Maybe Red could be greatest GM of all time with the Russ and Bird picks

Don't forget Havilcek.  He seems to always be overlooked.  Won a few rings with Russell,  won a few after Russell.  Top Celtic scorer of all time(26,395pts).  Not a bad little career.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:

The Celtics of old had six plays.  They ran them all to perfection.

What made Red  great was that he was a master motivator.

What made Red great was that his players would run through a wall for him (or in the case of Wilt Chamberlain - BE a wall)

What made Red great was that at a time of racial unrest in Boston, he did not see color.

What made Red great was that he treated Bill Russell with care and respect.

In addtion to being a phenomenal basketball mind, Red used mind games before they were used by anyone else.

Red was the BOSS, and all the players knew it.

His 16 rings is a testament to his greatness.  There will never be another.

Red was the greatest coach and executive in sports history.  Nobody approaches him.

Sections
Shortcuts