AB COULD REPLACE DICE-K RONDO BY NEXT SEASON, DON'T BE SURPRISED IF HE PLAYS A LOT IN PLAYOFFS!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Re: AB COULD REPLACE DICE-K RONDO BY NEXT SEASON, DON'T BE SURPRISED IF HE PLAYS A LOT IN PLAYOFFS!

Avery Bradley played fantastically last night.  It is the only game he has not been awful in all year.  He was allowed to drive to the basket all night.  If you think for a moment he is anything resembling Rondo talent wise you are crazy.  Bradley did prove something last night he may be an NBA player after all.

But to think he could run a team you are either blind or don't know anything about basketball.  Look at the other fifty to sixty games he played in, bad does not describe him horrible does. Last night he played so well I thought maybe we could move him and not get stuck without anything for him.

Avery Bradley is six two and Tony Allen is six four.  He will never be able to play like TA because of his size.  He will have to be Mookie Blalock without the three point shot.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Re: AB COULD REPLACE DICE-K RONDO BY NEXT SEASON, DON'T BE SURPRISED IF HE PLAYS A LOT IN PLAYOFFS!

In Response to Re: AB COULD REPLACE DICE-K RONDO BY NEXT SEASON, DON'T BE SURPRISED IF HE PLAYS A LOT IN PLAYOFFS!:
    In Response to Re: AB COULD REPLACE DICE-K RONDO BY NEXT SEASON, DON'T BE SURPRISED IF HE PLAYS A LOT IN PLAYOFFS! : Prove it, you say. Well, kyceltic, I'm not the one with credibility issues here. Weren't you called a little beaver last month by a poster here? "GO BACK TO BASHING PIERCE, YOU LITTLE BEAVER!" HAHAHA!!! 
    Posted by Fiercest34

Dance KnuckleHead Smith, dance!!  While i laugh my a.ss of at you!  HAHAHA

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: AB COULD REPLACE DICE-K RONDO BY NEXT SEASON, DON'T BE SURPRISED IF HE PLAYS A LOT IN PLAYOFFS!:
    In Response to Re: AB COULD REPLACE DICE-K RONDO BY NEXT SEASON, DON'T BE SURPRISED IF HE PLAYS A LOT IN PLAYOFFS! : Avery may very well turn out to be a nice backup combo guard with defensive savvy, but he is a 2-3 year project. For all of Rondo's well-documented shortcomings, he may be the fastest end to end player in this league. Also, any player or coach who has spent time with him has said he may also be the smartest player in the league. I'm not going to let a month of subpar play dissuade me from my view of Rondo. I see all of the haters post on this board, and some of them have actual backing to their arguments. One good outing against a cellar-dweller defense doesn't make you better than an all-pro defender/all-star.
    Posted by truth-torpedo34

So in year 5 it is ok for Rondo to continue to be a one dimensional player but Bradley should not be.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Forget about Rondo, Bradley will be.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from truth-torpedo34. Show truth-torpedo34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: AB COULD REPLACE DICE-K RONDO BY NEXT SEASON, DON'T BE SURPRISED IF HE PLAYS A LOT IN PLAYOFFS! : So in year 5 it is ok for Rondo to continue to be a one dimensional player but Bradley should not be.
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE  ]

No one on this planet can convince you that Rondo has any worth. Your distaste for his game has gone from legitimate criticism to outright hatred of his every action. From a basketball standpoint, I didn't know that defense, passing, and driving constituted a one-dimensional game. Just go follow Chris Paul, with his immaculate PER, and enjoy a fundamental pg that routinely gets bounced from the first round of the playoffs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Avery Bradley played fantastically last night.  It is the only game he has not been awful in all year.  He was allowed to drive to the basket all night.  If you think for a moment he is anything resembling Rondo talent wise you are crazy.  Bradley did prove something last night he may be an NBA player after all. But to think he could run a team you are either blind or don't know anything about basketball.  Look at the other fifty to sixty games he played in, bad does not describe him horrible does. Last night he played so well I thought maybe we could move him and not get stuck without anything for him. Avery Bradley is six two and Tony Allen is six four.  He will never be able to play like TA because of his size.  He will have to be Mookie Blalock without the three point shot.
    Posted by concord27

We already have a Mookie Blalock w/o the 3 point shot. He's our starting PG.

I could be happy with a PG with less talent than Rondo... as long as he brings it every game and isn't afraid to lead by example.

Pud

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

So in year 5 it is ok for Rondo to continue to be a one dimensional player but Bradley should not be. Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE  ]  

I like the OP's solution.  Perfectly logical and would not be at all surprised if it happens.   If Rondo can be traded, he will.  His liabilities and impact on the team were obvious and pronounced, especially at the tail end of the season.  Celtics mgmt won't tolerate his inconsistencies, inadequacies and lack of leadership and take the chance that he literally and figuretively brings the team down next year.   Sad to say that Ray is no longer worth his stay.  He is replaceable.  Need to move on and rebuild with youth at that position.  I think BBD is a useful backup and contributor, but will probably need him to move Rondo which is more important.  Maybe we'll get lucky with a big man in the draft.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: AB COULD REPLACE DICE-K RONDO BY NEXT SEASON, DON'T BE SURPRISED IF HE PLAYS A LOT IN PLAYOFFS! :
    In Response to Re: AB COULD REPLACE DICE-K RONDO BY NEXT SEASON, DON'T BE SURPRISED IF HE PLAYS A LOT IN PLAYOFFS! : So in year 5 it is ok for Rondo to continue to be a one dimensional player but Bradley should not be. Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE  ]   No one on this planet can convince you that Rondo has any worth. Your distaste for his game has gone from legitimate criticism to outright hatred of his every action. From a basketball standpoint, I didn't know that defense, passing, and driving constituted a one-dimensional game. Just go follow Chris Paul, with his immaculate PER, and enjoy a fundamental pg that routinely gets bounced from the first round of the playoffs.
    Posted by truth-torpedo34

I don't hate Rondo at all, I objectively view what he does and write about it.... this is diametrically opposed to what most of what I read here and that is that he parts water, walks on water, turns water into wine, feeds the masses, and is an elite point guard..... he is not an elite point guard.... he is a one dimensional player who gets dragged along by his teammates..... Rondo cannot carry Paul's jock and if Paul was surrounded by as much talent as Rondo they would be looking to 4peat this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In Response to Re: AB COULD REPLACE DICE-K RONDO BY NEXT SEASON, DON'T BE SURPRISED IF HE PLAYS A LOT IN PLAYOFFS! : So in year 5 it is ok for Rondo to continue to be a one dimensional player but Bradley should not be.
    Posted by TheDUDDER

he rebounds.

he is a passes and runs the offense well.

He plays terrifc defense.

he scores 12 points a game.

hardly 1 dimensional. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

don't hate Rondo at all, I objectively view what he does and write about it.... this is diametrically opposed to what most of what I read here and that is that he parts water, walks on water, turns water into wine, feeds the masses, and is an elite point guard..... he is not an elite point guard.... he is a one dimensional player who gets dragged along by his teammates..... Rondo cannot carry Paul's jock and if Paul was surrounded by as much talent as Rondo they would be looking to 4peat this year.
    -----------------

Not true. you have an intense hatred that blinds you to reality. He is a terrifc point guard.   Whether Chris Paul is better is debatable, whether Derrick Rose is better, is probably settled. That doesn't make Rondo any less of a terrifc player. Yet you never once acknowledge that. You are COMPLTLEY BLIND to his strengths and focus only on his weaknesses.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: AB COULD REPLACE DICE-K RONDO BY NEXT SEASON, DON'T BE SURPRISED IF HE PLAYS A LOT IN PLAYOFFS! : he rebounds. he is a passes and runs the offense well. He plays terrifc defense. he scores 12 points a game. hardly 1 dimensional. 
    Posted by jtkl

So he does what point guards do and oh by the way he can't shoot, can't finish, can't make free throws, and can't make 3s.... things that are integral parts of the job description of ummmm point guards.....  point guards run offenses, point guards pass the ball, point guards get rebounds, etc.

If Rondo was averaging 20 assists per game and 8 steals per game and 8 rebounds per game it would make up for his abysmal offensive game but he does not lead the league in rebounds, he does not lead the league in assists, he averages about 11 points per game - a lot less than the best point guards...... and he can't shoot, avoids shooting, avoids getting to the line, avoids attempting 3s, etc.  So when all is said and done he does some things well that a bunch of other point guards also happen to do very well AND HE CANNOT DO SOME OF THE MOST BASIC THINGS THAT MOST POINT GUARDS DO...... THAT MEANS ONE DIMENSIONAL..... overrated defense and absolutely abysmal offense.... any other assessment is just simply silly........

Rondo is not the best at any one facet of the point guard job description but he is absolutely the worst at several of what I would call key facets......

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from existentialparquet. Show existentialparquet's posts

2 WORDS, STUPID POST!
    Posted by Fiercest34

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: AB COULD REPLACE DICE-K RONDO BY NEXT SEASON, DON'T BE SURPRISED IF HE PLAYS A LOT IN PLAYOFFS! : So in year 5 it is ok for Rondo to continue to be a one dimensional player but Bradley should not be. Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE  ]   I like the OP's solution.  Perfectly logical and would not be at all surprised if it happens.   If Rondo can be traded, he will.  His liabilities and impact on the team were obvious and pronounced, especially at the tail end of the season.  Celtics mgmt won't tolerate his inconsistencies, inadequacies and lack of leadership and take the chance that he literally and figuretively brings the team down next year.   Sad to say that Ray is no longer worth his stay.  He is replaceable.  Need to move on and rebuild with youth at that position.  I think BBD is a useful backup and contributor, but will probably need him to move Rondo which is more important.  Maybe we'll get lucky with a big man in the draft.
    Posted by Eldunker

With a new CBA which will likely mean no season next year and a hard cap when they actually resume playing there is very little value associated with players who have significant contracts.  Rondo has almost no value given that he is under contract.

Many NBA franchises are losing money and the league is looking to cut player salaries by as much as 40%.  That means that OKC just committed $9 million per year to Perk who with the new CBA is not quite a $6million player but they are on the hook for $9 m per year.  Given that who wants Rondo's $11 million next year and $13 million the year after?  Talk about lipstick on a pig.

It will be very interesting to see how the new CBA grandfathers in existing contracts and how the hard cap will be affected / managed, etc.  Under the new CBA with a hard cap around $60 million, the Cs will have Rondo, KG, Pierce, and Ray under contract for at least $60 million which means they will have zero money to spend on other players.  We will see how it all plays out.

Rondo was a kid Danny had to have and will go nowhere as long as Danny is in charge......  if Doc goes and Danny realizes that he cannot rebuild and win at the same time (which I believe is mutually exclusive) he will take his legacy and walk away and make sure he does not have another heart attack and spend time watching his children and grandchildren grow up, etc.

I would love to hear all of the Rondo-ites wax poetic now how his contract is a bargain.  Let's go on and on about how Rondo schooled Rose in the playoffs a couple of years ago ummmm when Rose was a rookie? and actually scored more points than Rondo in the series......

Rose is now the MVP and Rondo continues to be the worst shooter in the league.... in the recent Bulls Cs game I saw all I needed to see in one sequence....  Rose rolled off a pick to his left and knocked down a 3 and in the next play Rondo turned the ball over.......  In the Bulls series the Bulls will have an advantage at 3 starting positions and Deng does a great job on Pierce, so if it comes to that we will see what happens..... ummm did the Bulls hold the Cs to an average of 83 points in their last two meetings?  Good thing Rondo does not need to score and that the Cs have enough scoring and as long as Rondo does his job they should be just fine...........

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In Response to Re: AB COULD REPLACE DICE-K RONDO BY NEXT SEASON, DON'T BE SURPRISED IF HE PLAYS A LOT IN PLAYOFFS! : So he does what point guards do and oh by the way he can't shoot, can't finish, can't make free throws, and can't make 3s.... things that are integral parts of the job description of ummmm point guards.....  point guards run offenses, point guards pass the ball, point guards get rebounds, etc. If Rondo was averaging 20 assists per game and 8 steals per game and 8 rebounds per game it would make up for his abysmal offensive game but he does not lead the league in rebounds, he does not lead the league in assists, he averages about 11 points per game - a lot less than the best point guards...... and he can't shoot, avoids shooting, avoids getting to the line, avoids attempting 3s, etc.  So when all is said and done he does some things well that a bunch of other point guards also happen to do very well AND HE CANNOT DO SOME OF THE MOST BASIC THINGS THAT MOST POINT GUARDS DO...... THAT MEANS ONE DIMENSIONAL..... overrated defense and absolutely abysmal offense.... any other assessment is just simply silly........ Rondo is not the best at any one facet of the point guard job description but he is absolutely the worst at several of what I would call key facets......
    Posted by TheDUDDER

One Dimensional would imply he only has ONE aspect to his game. He excels in multiple aspects of the game, so to say he is one Dimensional is rather bone-headed.

Rondo is the best passing point guard in the league. Steve Nash has a very slight edge in assists but the suns play run and gun and no defense.  if Rondo and the Celtics quit defense and shot in 7 seconds or less Rondo would average 20 assists a game. 

He is a top five rebounder.

He is a top two defensive point guard. (despite you claims which completely lack evidence) 

He is a below average jump shooter and and way below average free throw shooter. These critiques are fair. The rest is just plain silly. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Green-Islander. Show Green-Islander's posts

he did great against the knicks, but hold your horses baby, he aint replacing rondo yet lol got a longgggggggggg way to go before that happens.

give AB the credit, but dont get all too crazy about him suddenly. after all, there was a prior thread of how he suck big time. funny stuff.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: AB COULD REPLACE DICE-K RONDO BY NEXT SEASON, DON'T BE SURPRISED IF HE PLAYS A LOT IN PLAYOFFS! : One Dimensional would imply he only has ONE aspect to his game. He excels in multiple aspects of the game, so to say he is one Dimensional is rather bone-headed. Rondo is the best passing point guard in the league. Steve Nash has a very slight edge in assists but the suns play run and gun and no defense.  if Rondo and the Celtics quit defense and shot in 7 seconds or less Rondo would average 20 assists a game.  He is a top five rebounder. He is a top two defensive point guard. (despite you claims which completely lack evidence)  He is a below average jump shooter and and way below average free throw shooter. These critiques are fair. The rest is just plain silly. 
    Posted by jtkl

So he does some things well, near the top of what his peers do and he should be applauded.... and he should....

But he does other things that are just the worst in the league..... but should not be decremented......

When you add it all up, he is an ok point guard who benefits greatly from whom he plays with but on BDC that is good enough to make him an elite point guard, some idiots actually think that qualifies him as the best in the league.

There are a dozen point guards who if they played with the Hall of Famers and Doc would be all-stars in the East and would make the Cs at least as good and in many cases better.  How anyone could deny that is simply nonsense.

When John Wall comes up court and has a few scrubs to pass the ball to and averages more points, shoots a much higher free throw percentage, and averages only a couple fewer assists oh and then John Wall makes 10 of 10 free throws, etc.  how is there even a comparison?  Wall is 5 years younger than Rondo but somehow Rondo is an elite point guard.....

Watch Paul move to the eastern conference, Williams is already in NJ, Rose is the best, Bayless with the BIG 3 would have them in just the same place, Wall with the BIG 3 would be in the same place, add Kyrie Irving, etc. and I think there has to be some reassessment of Rondo's "greatness".......  there is no greatness in Rondo's game.... and I say this because great is oft overused.... when Andrey Blatche was arrested for sexual assault the headline was "NBA great Blatche arrested blah blah blah".....

As I have said many times, the amount by which Rondo can be overrated cannot be overrated.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

No, I never said it was wrong to criticize Rondo's outside shooting and free throws those are fair critiques. 

I'm of the opinion that coming the the conclusion that he mediocre as a result of a less than great jumper and poor free throw shooting is way off though. I think that, due to the fact that he excels in many other parts of the game. 

I am of the opinion that Rondo, as Larry Bird said, "can play."  

His jumper has improved. It's at 38% now. on 3.5 attempts. Compared to baby at 35% on 4.5 attempts per game.  It still needs work though and to be a top 3 or 4 point guard he is going to have to acquire it.

Right now I think he is the 5th best point guard in the league.  Plenty of others are better, but there are better shooting guards than Ray out there at this point in his career. I don't think that means Ray is mediocre. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

No, I never said it was wrong to criticize Rondo's outside shooting and free throws those are fair critiques.  I'm of the opinion that coming the the conclusion that he mediocre as a result of a less than great jumper and poor free throw shooting is way off though. I think that, due to the fact that he excels in many other parts of the game.  I am of the opinion that Rondo, as Larry Bird said, "can play."   His jumper has improved. It's at 38% now. on 3.5 attempts. Compared to baby at 35% on 4.5 attempts per game.  It still needs work though and to be a top 3 or 4 point guard he is going to have to acquire it. Right now I think he is the 5th best point guard in the league.  Plenty of others are better, but there are better shooting guards than Ray out there at this point in his career. I don't think that means Ray is mediocre. 
    Posted by jtkl

Can you imagine scoring roughly 4 point per game on non-contested 12 to 18' jumpers.... as many as Rondo would ever want to take... and more?

That is not an improved jumper unless you count going from Gawd Awful to Plain Awful as improvement.

DRose (30/8/5) played up tight on Rondo recently and held him to a 7/6/5 game. Two jumpers. Two misses. So when you squeeze on Rondo's jumper a wee bit, he falls off even more.

Pud

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Green-Islander. Show Green-Islander's posts

In Response to Re: AB COULD REPLACE DICE-K RONDO BY NEXT SEASON, DON'T BE SURPRISED IF HE PLAYS A LOT IN PLAYOFFS! : We already have a Mookie Blalock w/o the 3 point shot. He's our starting PG. I could be happy with a PG with less talent than Rondo... as long as he brings it every game and isn't afraid to lead by example. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

uhmm, suddenly eddie vedder and pearl jam comes to mind lol.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from richardkc. Show richardkc's posts

Yeah your right! stupid post ....low basketball IQ

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Yeah your right! stupid post ....low basketball IQ
    Posted by richardkc

Low basketball IQ??? Rondo is reputed to be the smartest PG in the NBA I dare say!

Maybe super smarty farties shouldn't play PG because they simply can't shoot or bring it every game.

Too boring doing the basics!

Pud

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickFox17. Show RickFox17's posts

In Response to AB COULD REPLACE DICE-K RONDO BY NEXT SEASON, DON'T BE SURPRISED IF HE PLAYS A LOT IN PLAYOFFS! : EXCELLENT  POST.  I  agree  with  all  of  your  insights.  You  aren't  saying  straight  out  to  blow  up  this  team.  You  qualified  your  remark  ( ie.  "  if  the  team  self-destructs" )  suggesting  the  Celts  replace  Ray, Rondo  and  BB.  I  would  say  that  if  the  Celts  don't  win  # 18  they  replace  RR  and  BB.  At  this  point  in  their  careers, they  still  have  very  good  value.  I'm  tired  of  Rondo  and  his  erratic  play  ( ie.  some  nights  he  looks  like  an  all-star  and  some  nights  he  looks  disinterested ).  Overall, Rondo  is  maybe  the  15th  best  PG  in  the  league.  His  value  has  always  been  inflated  b/c  of  playing  with  the  BIG  3.   His  offense  is  a  major  liability  and  his  defense  is  highly  over-rated.  BB  has  played  out  of  position  for  most  of  this  season.  I  like  his  energy  and  he's  a  reliable  scorer.  And  BB  will  always  be  just  an  adequate  backup  PF  who  is  6'6" +3/4 with  no  lift.    Obviously, the  Celtic  brass  sees  a  real  upside  with  AB.  Yes, he's  played  like  a  rookie  and  has  made  many  bonehead  plays.  That's  what  rookies  do, for  the  most  part.  Again, you  qualified  your  statement  ( ie. "if  West  is  gimpy " )  AB  may  see  some  playoff  time.  I  agree  that  AB  has  a  lot  of  potential.  And  with  experience  and  more  confidence  he  could  replace  RR  next  year  or  at  the  very  least  be  a  valuable  backup.  The  thing  abount  Rondo  is  he  lacks  CONFIDENCE  in  his  offensive  game.  I  was  watching  the  recent  Celts/Bulls  game  in  which  Rose  clearly  intimidated  RR.  There  were  two  plays  which  demonstrated  Rondo's  lack  of  confidence : 1)  one  in  which  he  had  a  break-away  layup and  Rose  was  2-3  steps  behind  him.  Rondo  blew  the  uncontested  layup.  2).  the  second  was  when  Rondo  drove  the  lane  and  suprisingly  no  one  challenged  his  shot.  He  was  so  suprised  he  had  an  unchallenged  finger-roll  that  he  again  blew  the  shot.  There's  a  lot  of  " ifs "  for  the  Celts  going  into  the  playoffs.  I  still  think  they  have  a  chance  to  win  # 18.  And  if  they  don't, I  agree  with  Contrarian's  suggested  moves  for  next  year.
    Posted by zeitgeist49

I agree with u guys.  Rondo is afraid to drive to the baske and does not iniated the contact cause he is afraid to be fouled and go to free throw line. Avery is not  PG bt more of a SG who is not afraid to dunk in peoples face.  He got game

Sections
Shortcuts