Adrien Payne is the new David West

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Adrien Payne is the new David West

What a draft!

We'd better get some of these guys!!!!

I want Payne and Capela! I'm greedy. That workout must have been sick!

Defensive beasts!

Capela looks like Shawn Kemp did as a rookie!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: Adrien Payne is the new David West

Link and proof?

Your comparisons are again ridiculous.

First of all, yes Payne is known for his burly interior presence, but NOT for any type of polished post game. He is best known for being 6'10" and shooting lots of 3's, therefore spreading the floor. He took 3.4 three pointers a game and hit 43% of them. Combine that with his FT's and HALF hid 16.4 points came from 3's and the line. He only averaged 7 points as a soph and 10 as a junior.

David West was a true beast. He averaged 17.8 points as a soph, 18.3 as a junior and 20.1 points and 11.8 boards as a senior. He grabbed over 9 boards all 4 years in school (Payne averaged 7.3 as a SENIOR), didn't take a single 3 his first two years and made all of 18 3's his last two years combined at 32% (Payne made 44 this year alone). The knock on West was that he was closer to 6'8" and undersized. Had he been Payne's size he would have gone top 10.

Payne reminds me of Terry Mills, Antoine Walker or Donyell Marshall, not those guys in college but what they were in the NBA. Kinda chunky PF's who everyone wanted to see play in the paint, hit the board's, live up to their potential, but instead they chucked 3's and settled for 6-7 rebounds a game.

That is fine if you are a 6th man hitting 40% and making Robert Horry dagger 3's, but not if you play 30+ mins, hit 33% and shoot 6 a game.

He is not David West AT ALL.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

You saw some video on Capela from overseas and it reminded you of those VIVID memories you must have stored away from when you were 2-3 years old and watched Shawn Kemp play 13 minutes and get 6 points a game in 1989-90 as a rookie right Da?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Capela has GREAT potential. BRING THE PAYNE! The man puts the power in power forward like he is supposed to!

David West is known for his power and finesse and Payne has those same tools.

All I'm saying.

Capela has the same FREAK explosivesness at 6-10 that Kemp had. Where he goes with that, nobody knows.

But its a helluva start!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

david west is a soft big man who has been a career-long underachieving rebounder and never won anything.  if you are the "new david west" or the next one then it's not saying all that much.................  right?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to aciemvp's comment:

david west is a soft big man who has been a career-long underachieving rebounder and never won anything.  if you are the "new david west" or the next one then it's not saying all that much.................  right?

You don't know a dang thing about David West huh Acie?

He is absolutely not soft, is a career 18/8 prototypical power forward and has 50%/82% career shooting and FT numbers. He is a guy you can contend with as your 3rd best player, unfortunately in both New Orleans and now Indiana he is required to be a 2nd best player.

His Hornets teams for 2-3 years there with Paul were practically as good as the Clips are with West's old school game complementing CP3 instead of Blake's above the rim game and Blake is a REAL #2 guy former #1 overall pick not a solid third best player. 

He joins a long list of dependable blue collar workman PF's you don't want to mess with and would LOVE on your team, like Charles Oakley, Otis Thorpe, Antawn Jamison, Horace Grant, Bobby Jones, Antonio McDyess, Larry Nance, Zach Randolph, Elton Brand, Derrick Coleman, Brian Grant....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Payne is not the next David West... but if he was, and you snagged him in the 16-19 range West was originally drafted in... you would get a STEAL! 

Superstars come along every 2 years or so in the draft and are usually consensus top 3 picks, some years there are 3 in a draft ('03) and sometimes none. 

Second banana players can be found in almost every draft, there are usually a handful scattered from #1 overall into the teens and they rarely fall out of there.

#3 players are in EVERY draft, sometimes a team gets lucky and plucks a guy like that around #20 like West and Rondo. But usually they are lotto picks. 

Payne will not be a #3 guy in the mold of David West i am 99% sure on that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Take the Latvian big man at 17..................

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

I would have taken Seabiscuit in the 4th race at Suffolk Downs in 1934 but I wasn't born until 1954 so I could not!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:

I would have taken Seabiscuit in the 4th race at Suffolk Downs in 1934 but I wasn't born until 1954 so I could not!

Yup

And I wish I could claim to have seen Hondo and Cowens but my memories start with Bird, Parish and McHale. Pretty sure Da's bball memories start with the second Bulls threepeat.

Happy big 6-0 this year Mel!

My mom turns 60 on June 19th, going to be tossing her a big bash in Narragansett:-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

My earliest basketball memories are of Bird going against The Rifleman Chuck Person with Glen Ordway calling the games.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to DaCeltics' comment:

My earliest basketball memories are of Bird going against The Rifleman Chuck Person with Glen Ordway calling the games.

Are you sure that wasn't Wesley Person shooting 3's against the Pacers when Bird was roaming the sidelines as the coach?

When you posted here around the time of the '08 title I was thinking there was no way you were older than 9th or 10th grade. Now you've been better the past year or two so I was thinking you were just exiting college, starting to mature, etc.

I'm 32, attended Uconn during the Caron Butler, Okafor, Ben Gordon years, first Celtic memory is the Bird-Nique shootout. I have a very hard time believing we are around the same age Da, but I guess teaching for 8 years and being married for 5 mellows some. You sound like I did during the 2002 Celtic playoffs when I was at the clincher vs. the Sixers hammered with guys from college. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

I am in my 40's you little boy!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to DaCeltics' comment:

I am in my 40's you little boy!

Then stop acting 20

Sections
Shortcuts