After 2 Weeks Owners to Ask for 47, 46, or 43%

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Re: After 2 Weeks Owners to Ask for 47, 46, or 43%

In Response to After 2 Weeks Owners to Ask for 47, 46, or 43%:
    [QUOTE]http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7183187/derek-fisher-addresses-alleged-nba-meeting-union-executive-committee Just like before the lockout, the owners told the players if they won't accept a flex cap before July 1, 2011 then the owners will be asking for a hard cap once there's a lockout. What a tragedy if the players will have no choice but to accept a 47-53, 46-54, or a 43-57 split in favor of the owners. The longer this lockout goes the worse it gets for the players. 
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

Not sure that I see the "tragedy" here. None of the players' wives will likely ever have to pinch coupons in order to make ends meet.

The world is full of legitimate tragedies.

This disagreement among 1%ers is certainly not one of them.

Pud

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In Response to Re: After 2 Weeks Owners to Ask for 47, 46, or 43%:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: After 2 Weeks Owners to Ask for 47, 46, or 43% : While you're correct that there's really no tragedy here, it's also a fact that players not named Kobe Bryant or Kevin Garnett, who have had 100m contracts, will suffer because of the greed of the likes of Kobe and KG. It's really easy for Kobe and KG to tell other players to not to give in to the demands of the owners, after all what's one lost season for Kobe and KG? You're lying if you're going to tell me that it will not be tragic if in the end the owners get 57% and the players end up with 43%. I'm pretty sure a guy like JaJuan Johnson would rather have a 50-50 deal than a 57-43 deal in favor of the owners.

I dont find the term "tragic" applicable.

However, I do agree and have posted previously that the players show of solidarity at some of the negotiation meetings were all the highly paid stars.  Where were the lesser paid players???

I truly believe the smaller contract players arent for the hard line the union is taking (at least not in private). They cant outlast the lowners in the lockout
    and want to get their checks asap.

But I dont see this as tragic because they are part of the union... so they received all the benefits of being union, now deal with the hardships.  The real tragedy is the pllyers have nowhere else to turn to...  They cant cross the union line an go to work..they are stuck.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: After 2 Weeks Owners to Ask for 47, 46, or 43% : While you're correct that there's really no tragedy here, it's also a fact that players not named Kobe Bryant or Kevin Garnett, who have had 100m contracts, will suffer because of the greed of the likes of Kobe and KG. It's really easy for Kobe and KG to tell other players to not to give in to the demands of the owners, after all what's one lost season for Kobe and KG? You're lying if you're going to tell me that it will not be tragic if in the end the owners get 57% and the players end up with 43%. I'm pretty sure a guy like JaJuan Johnson would rather have a 50-50 deal than a 57-43 deal in favor of the owners.

JaJuan Johnson may indeed "suffer" something of a financial hit along with all the others who play NBA basketball as a job. Still no tragedy. Still no coupon pinching to get by.

NBA players are extremely, insanely fortunate to be paid at this level of compensation... while unemployment runs at 10% nationally and families are losing their homes.

Pud

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: After 2 Weeks Owners to Ask for 47, 46, or 43% : JaJuan Johnson may indeed "suffer" something of a financial hit along with all the others who play NBA basketball as a job. Still no tragedy. Still no coupon pinching to get by. NBA players are extremely, insanely fortunate to be paid at this level of compensation... while unemployment runs at 10% nationally and families are losing their homes. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin[/QUOTE]

Very true. Its a tragedy that "tragedy" is used in this context.
    Its a tragedy that nurses etc get paid a pittance.
    Lets get real here!

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

The players need to realize the advantages they have had the last few years. The world economy is flirting with collapse and for the players to be tone deaf to that is a fatal flaw.  Owners in most cases are always less sympathetic but when players get a mentality that they cannot go back an reevaluate the situation without loss of faith you have ego and past owner player relations dictating what should be pragmatic decsions. The players have already blown it, now they must cut their losses, find a face saving excuse, or risk most of their players experiencing a loss of opportunity that cannot be made up.

Great damage has already been done. If there is season I predict there will be many injuries and very poor play.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to After 2 Weeks Owners to Ask for 47, 46, or 43% : Not sure that I see the "tragedy" here. None of the players' wives will likely ever have to pinch coupons in order to make ends meet. The world is full of legitimate tragedies. This disagreement among 1%ers is certainly not one of them. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin[/QUOTE]
      Their wives may not, but a couple of theit girlfriends probably would!!

PS. The Cards couldn't have done it, without the Braves help!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]I'm strictly talking about basketball, not real life tragedies. If the players end up getting 47, 46, or 43% then that's tragic because the owners once offered them 50%. And it's because of their greed!

Okay... so you're talking about unreal life tragedy. Gotcha!

Speaking of which, rumor has it that Rondo is having to lay off 1/3rd of his posse, downgrade his personal masseuse from full time to part time sans benefits and ask for earnest money back on his newly-ordered Bentley (in custom RR#9 motif no less).

OUCH!!!

Pud

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

On Wednesday, the current deal is off the table, and the owners will ask for 47% ANDa flex cap!!

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/216340/Labor_Meeting_Ends_Without_Deal_Stern_Sets_Wednesday_Deadline

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Yes, Red, its going to get really ugly, isn't it?   I always thought they'd settle and play by January.   I thought the players and owners would end up around 51/49 split on BRI.   I thought a lot of things but it looks like I'm going to be dead wrong and I won't have basketball this year!!!  

I will truly miss it and I think the C's will lose out because their players will get older and lose what I think it their last chance.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, Red, its going to get really ugly, isn't it?   I always thought they'd settle and play by January.   I thought the players and owners would end up around 51/49 split on BRI.   I thought a lot of things but it looks like I'm going to be dead wrong and I won't have basketball this year!!!   I will truly miss it and I think the C's will lose out because their players will get older and lose what I think it their last chance.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

Good post.  I don't think the owners care that much about BRI - they are just seeing how low the players will go before hammering (and I mean HAMMERING) them on the system issues.  And while players like Paul and DWill MAY be free to go  to any team they want............the new CBA will make it harder for them, and more undesirable for the signing team in terms of cap INflexiblity and luxury tax.  Anyone really think even Jerry Buss ( a great owner, btw) wants to go from 20 million in LT to 45?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: After 2 Weeks Owners to Ask for 47, 46, or 43% : How the Celts lost to the Bulls and Heat in April of 2011 and the way the Celts went out in the 2nd round of the playoffs last season should tell us that the Celts' last chance was back in 2010 against the Lakers in Game 7. Are the Celts contenders with JO as the starting Center? Ha Ha

Fierce, I think the C's have only 7 or 8 players under contract.  Last year before the deadlines, Danny signed a few of them (Shaq, Wafer, JON, etc).   Expect the same this year.  He'll try to do short term deals to keep his cap flexibility for the following year when Ray and KG come off the books.   

So, JON may or may NOT be the starting center.  We don't know what the team will look like.  With JON as the best center, they'll be in trouble, but if Danny holds to his previous annual approach to the season - he won't stand still with the current 7 or 8 players.   Depending on the new contract with the players, he'll be trying to make a move to improve the team while keeping the core there (Green, KG, Ray, Paul, Rondo as the core).

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: After 2 Weeks Owners to Ask for 47, 46, or 43% : Ray is 36 years old, KG 35, and Pierce is 34. The core of the team is very old. And under the new CBA there's no way the Celts can improve significantly because the Celts are way over the salary cap. Don't forget there will be no soft cap anymore. No matter who you add it always boils down to who your core players are. In the last 2 minutes of a game it will still be KG, Pierce, Ray, and Rondo on the court, meaning same old, same old. 

OK.  Good to know you've gave up before they stepped on the court and before they even have a full team fielded.  

You choose to give up and I'll choose to hold on to the possibility/capability.   Its ok....we can each have our own positions.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

Before Wafer got hurt he was improving.  Im not opposed to Wafer and Sasha coming back.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]Why I don't see the Celtics improving this season? Just look at the list of 2011 free-agents. I also don't think the Celts will trade any of the Big 3, Rondo, or even Jeff Green. That leaves the Celtics with no choice but to re-sign players like Von Wafer, Carlos Arroyo, or Sasha Pavlovic.

They need to sign Green, Baby and West - they also need a Wafer, Sasha or even Murphy...........lastly they need to sign Aaron Gray and Kwame Brown to deals and get one more big from the D-League.  That, with JJJ, KG and the rest of the crew should just be good enough.....to lose in the second round again  UGH!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Have to agree with Fierce here.

With a healthy team & Shaq, I thought we had a better than good chance of winning a title last year. But the Celtics havent been healthy since 2007. The Big 3 are older and slowing down... it shows in that they dont bring it every game, especially later in the season & playoffs... Shaq is gone... who was very effective when healthy.

The Celtics can look great at times, and just as terrible on others. Add to that the head cases of Rondo & Baby.. and when you start fantasizing of how good Wafer could be etc..think of how good he was looking last season and rotted on the bench.. You have to figure in DOcs coaching style into this.

I know, Doc says he's gonna use the Big 3 less & less...gee, where have we heard that before.

I'll be rooting for the C's if we have a season but I dont see them as serious contenders. Hope Im wrong & we have a miracle season but....

Sections
Shortcuts