After 6 years of waiting, I finally saw it tonight

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

After 6 years of waiting, I finally saw it tonight

Rondo hit so many shots, and they were swishes, all of them, that his man had to come up tight on him and Rondo was able to drive right around him for a layup.  This happened more than once tonight.

It's the reward for being a complete player.  It also means, if he hits shots at a reasonable rate, that there is no more sag down that has at times crippled activity in the lane and post up attempts.

If Rondo played this way every night, not necessarily having to HIT all of the shots, but always being a reasonable threat to can and open jumper, then he could be one of the best point guards to ever play the game.

I've watched a lot of Celts games in the last six years and I can't remember one in which Rondo hit so many outside shots as to force the opponent to come out and cover him vs. gambling that he was just dallying / fiddling around with taking outside shots vs. actually having an intent to shoot the ones he was left open for.

Great job by Rondo tonight.  The Hawks could not have played worse, Pierce could not have played any better, and Rondo FINALLY stepped up and did what I've been waiting for him to do- hit enough shots that you get respect.

The fact that he has not done it but once (or maybe twice) in six years baffles me- his shot stroke and mechanics are very solid, if not better than average.  I hope he continues with this mentality of taking what is given to him rather than being satisified to move the ball around to others and not take a passive approach to outside scoring. 

If he shoots like he does tonight, or remains a consistent and decent threat to hit an open J, I can't think of a better point guard in the league.  Not even close

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Re: After 6 years of waiting, I finally saw it tonight

He is starting to have confidence in his shot..the mechanics are there..(mark Price), He used to hesitate before taking the shot. Today, he just let if fly..I like what R. Miller said about releasing with the finger tips...that means, he is going to get better...now its all mental....

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

t's the reward for being a complete player.  It also means, if he hits shots at a reasonable rate, that there is no more sag down that has at times crippled activity in the lane and post up attempts.

That "sag" defense did work in last couple year's playoffs, no doubt, but I'd argue Rondo has made some adjustments that allow him to better exploit that kind of defense even when he is not hitting his shot. 

If Rondo played this way every night, not necessarily having to HIT all of the shots, but always being a reasonable threat to can and open jumper, then he could be one of the best point guards to ever play the game.

Agreed, but I don't see it, I don't think he's a natural shooter. I could be proven wrong but I'd be surprised if he shoots anywhere near as well as he did tonight consistently. You may have to settle for a terrific point guard that isn't perfect rather than an all time great. 

In my opinion at this point in Rondo's career getting better at the free throw line is more important than hitting the open jumper. If he is totally confident at the line then he won't go into that hesitate mode late in tight games as he won't be afraid to draw contact and go to the line. 

Anyhow I wouldn't get your heart set on Rondo the jump shooter. :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

In Response to After 6 years of waiting, I finally saw it tonight:
    [QUOTE]Rondo hit so many shots, and they were swishes, all of them, that his man had to come up tight on him and Rondo was able to drive right around him for a layup.  This happened more than once tonight. It's the reward for being a complete player.  It also means, if he hits shots at a reasonable rate, that there is no more sag down that has at times crippled activity in the lane and post up attempts. If Rondo played this way every night, not necessarily having to HIT all of the shots, but always being a reasonable threat to can and open jumper, then he could be one of the best point guards to ever play the game. I've watched a lot of Celts games in the last six years and I can't remember one in which Rondo hit so many outside shots as to force the opponent to come out and cover him vs. gambling that he was just dallying / fiddling around with taking outside shots vs. actually having an intent to shoot the ones he was left open for. Great job by Rondo tonight.  The Hawks could not have played worse, Pierce could not have played any better, and Rondo FINALLY stepped up and did what I've been waiting for him to do- hit enough shots that you get respect. The fact that he has not done it but once (or maybe twice) in six years baffles me- his shot stroke and mechanics are very solid, if not better than average.  I hope he continues with this mentality of taking what is given to him rather than being satisified to move the ball around to others and not take a passive approach to outside scoring.  If he shoots like he does tonight, or remains a consistent and decent threat to hit an open J, I can't think of a better point guard in the league.  Not even close
    Posted by aciemvp[/QUOTE]

+2
    Great post!  I agree entirely that Rondo is "the best point guard in the Association, bar none!"

As Always,

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

if he could hit more than 45% from beyond 8 feet, and hit 1/3 3-pointers, he'd be unstoppable

he was playing 4.5-on-5 and still winning 55% of games.  If he becomes a complete player, he'll be right there with Chris Paul

right now, he's cut below, but since Chris Paul is one of the best players of our era, it's nice that maybe Rondo is realizing that he can be on that level if he works at it

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

Miller also mentioned that he's got a good rhythm when he makes his shots, and I think this is also what he needs in order to shoot with confidence.  It's very difficult for him to shoot if he's not in rhythm of some sort.  That's why he does a little shake and bake before he shoots sometimes even when nobody is on him tight.  When he thinks twice because he sees a number of possibilities it's difficult for him to initiate a shooters rhythm.  He just needs to learn how to always feel the shot.  Of course we all know this, it's fingertips and his mind, but tonight was a good night for him.  We're lucky to have him and he's marching on the league in a big way during the playoffs, again.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

In Response to Re: After 6 years of waiting, I finally saw it tonight:
    [QUOTE]if he could hit more than 45% from beyond 8 feet, and hit 1/3 3-pointers, he'd be unstoppable he was playing 4.5-on-5 and still winning 55% of games.  If he becomes a complete player, he'll be right there with Chris Paul right now, he's cut below, but since Chris Paul is one of the best players of our era, it's nice that maybe Rondo is realizing that he can be on that level if he works at it
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188[/QUOTE]

Excerpt from an earlier post:

Another thrilling Celtics victory in Game 4 of its series with Hawks.  Another stellar performance by Rajon Rondo: the best point guard in the Association, bar none!  20 points (8 of 11 from field, 2 of 3 three pointers, 2-5 from line), 16 assists (he was toying with Atlanta out there!), only 3 rebounds (he must have been slacking out there, boo, hiss, the haters will have a field day), 3 steals, and maybe 1 turnover (he must have been on tonight!!).  Did anyone notice the Rondo was hitting most of his outside shots?  Reggie Miller expressed that he was impressed by the follow through on Rondo's outside shot.  He also made a suggestion that he felt sure that RA had discussed with RR.  Shaq was talking about Rondo getting strong consideration for All NBA First Team (take that CPwho?).  Rondo is so obviously the best point guard in the Association, the only remaining question is how many championships he will direct.

New material:

How many championships does Chris Paul have again?

As Always,

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE] The game where he kept shooting and missed like 7-9 shots before they started falling convinced me that it was a confidence thing. One he gets the rhythm he uses it.
    Posted by Mployee8[/QUOTE]

it's always been a "confidence" thing.  but the main ingredient in confidence of shooting a jumper is that in an empty gym you can hit 8 of 10 freebies.  from that, confidence can grow.  in a game maybe that comes down to 75%.  hell, i'd take 70%, the standard mark of "ok" for a big man, but it's generally high 70's to 80 for a PG type who can end up being fouled for foul shots late in a game.

without that BASIC confidence then you get what you've seen out of rondo until tonight.  and either tonight or last game he only shot 2-5 free throws.  but he was hot tonight.  he won't be hot every night like that.

and to be honest, i don't see a trend of him improving his free throw percentage at all.  there have been precious few good outside shooters who were incompetent at the foul line.  it's where it all begins... and ends.

i'm tired of the trick or treat rondo with the offensive involvement.  he's so physically talented and intelligent + decent shot mechanics that there's just no reasons he can't master the free throw to a level of basic competency. 

for a man who is relatively fearless driving to the hoop against people who weigh 100# more than him, takes a lot of risks for steals, plays the way he does, he certainly doesn't lack confidence.  what he has lacked is a desire to master the shot, in addition to some mental block over it.  back when people were developed properly, he would have been given an impetus early on- play another sport or just learn to do this well in order to proceed. 

oh well.  a fine night it was.  couldn't have been better, a glimpse into "what could be" every night.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE] Agreed, but I don't see it, I don't think he's a natural shooter. I could be proven wrong but I'd be surprised if he shoots anywhere near as well as he did tonight consistently. You may have to settle for a terrific point guard that isn't perfect rather than an all time great.  Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]

my heart is not set on rondo being a great jump shooter.  but i need "competent" in the mode of a magic johnson or a jason kidd.  johnson and kidd (and others!) came into the league and couldn't do anything for shooting from the field and had trouble from the line. 

they did NOT end up that way- and although people try to use magic and kidd as examples of greats who 'couldn't shoot" it's not true- neither of them looked back from 80% FT's after year 3 and both increased their shooting proficiency through time- they weren't knock 'em dead shooters on a nightly basis but got the job done just fine.

so you don't have to be a natural shooter, but what you DO have to "be" is engaged in desiring to be an all around player.  and so many games you see rondo avoiding the gimme shots he is given.  i am/was a shooter and developed it all myself.  some people just have limitations in their coordination levels. 

trust me, and trust mark price, tommy heinsohn, cousy or anyone else who has looked at rondo's shot or worked with him, he does not have that issue.  his only physical issue is perhaps that his hands are disproportionately large for his height.  in basketball that's usually looked up on a plus, could pose some challenges to shooting, but certainly no barrier to achieving competence.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

I mentioned before last nights game that Rondo's jumper seemed to have improved... but people, we're getting a bit overboard because he had a great shooting night.  Remember, this is only one game. Anybody can heat up and hit open jumpers, even me.

Now the fantasies begin that if Rondo can do this every game...blah blah.  

I'd be more excited about it if Rondo's FT's were also improving greatly. I dont know the stats but id guess he's improved a bit but not enough to throw him a parade.

Just dont want to get carried away due to one game. It was great to watch but if theres one blip on the radar that always sticks out for Rondo, its consistency. Game 3 he was awful in running the offense... forget the triple-double.. Game 4 he was fantastic... Game 5??? Exactly, nobody knows what to expcet from him. Keep that in mind when you think about his great shooting last night..

Encouraging...Yes... lets hope it continues

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mark from Ct. Show Mark from Ct's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: After 6 years of waiting, I finally saw it tonight : Excerpt from an earlier post: Another thrilling Celtics victory in Game 4 of its series with Hawks.  Another stellar performance by Rajon Rondo: the best point guard in the Association, bar none!  20 points (8 of 11 from field, 2 of 3 three pointers, 2-5 from line), 16 assists (he was toying with Atlanta out there!), only 3 rebounds (he must have been slacking out there, boo, hiss, the haters will have a field day), 3 steals, and maybe 1 turnover (he must have been on tonight!!).  Did anyone notice the Rondo was hitting most of his outside shots?  Reggie Miller expressed that he was impressed by the follow through on Rondo's outside shot.  He also made a suggestion that he felt sure that RA had discussed with RR.  Shaq was talking about Rondo getting strong consideration for All NBA First Team (take that CPwho?).  Rondo is so obviously the best point guard in the Association, the only remaining question is how many championships he will direct. New material: How many championships does Chris Paul have again? As Always,
    Posted by JamLock[/QUOTE]

If Rondo had played for New Orleans the last 6 years, he would also have 0 championships like Chris Paul does.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]I mentioned before last nights game that Rondo's jumper seemed to have improved... but people, we're getting a bit overboard because he had a great shooting night.  Remember, this is only one game. Anybody can heat up and hit open jumpers, even me. Now the fantasies begin that if Rondo can do this every game...blah blah.   I'd be more excited about it if Rondo's FT's were also improving greatly. I dont know the stats but id guess he's improved a bit but not enough to throw him a parade. Just dont want to get carried away due to one game. It was great to watch but if theres one blip on the radar that always sticks out for Rondo, its consistency. Game 3 he was awful in running the offense... forget the triple-double.. Game 4 he was fantastic... Game 5??? Exactly, nobody knows what to expcet from him. Keep that in mind when you think about his great shooting last night.. Encouraging...Yes... lets hope it continues
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

Its  one game.... and one game only. 

This kid has broken my heart more times than I can count over 6 years.

My expectations for him are minimal.

Pud

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: After 6 years of waiting, I finally saw it tonight : Its  one game.... and one game only.  This kid has broken my heart more times than I can count over 6 years. My expectations for him are minimal. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin[/QUOTE]

Rondo has broken all of our hearts a few times, but he's electrified the game more times than he's broken hearts.  On balance, he's grown every year and moved from being "just on the court" in 2008 to an all star and now to Top 3 in value to the team.  I'm with Acie that Rondo's shooting has improved consistently.  He may not shoot like he did yesterday in every game (even Pierce and Ray don't ALWAYS shoot like that - witness Paul in game 1 and 3), but Rondo is consistently more confident and more effective with his jump shot these days.  He does not need to WIN games with his jumper, just be effective enough to hit them when he's open 50% of the time and the opposition will respect him (and he can then drive) or they won't respect him and he'll get us points when open.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: After 6 years of waiting, I finally saw it tonight : Rondo has broken all of our hearts a few times, but he's electrified the game more times than he's broken hearts.  On balance, he's grown every year and moved from being "just on the court" in 2008 to an all star and now to Top 3 in value to the team.  I'm with Acie that Rondo's shooting has improved consistently.  He may not shoot like he did yesterday in every game (even Pierce and Ray don't ALWAYS shoot like that - witness Paul in game 1 and 3), but Rondo is consistently more confident and more effective with his jump shot these days.  He does not need to WIN games with his jumper, just be effective enough to hit them when he's open 50% of the time and the opposition will respect him (and he can then drive) or they won't respect him and he'll get us points when open.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

red print is false.  i did not say that.  the stats show the reverse actually, which is what has been so disheartening.  i believe it was two years ago that rondo scored the most.  his FT% has been up and down, never better than his rook year of 64%.  that's just wrong.

green print is what i'm talking about- just basic proficiency levels.  that's all he needs.  if he has respect for his jumper than the opposing defense falls open like a cheap suitcase for him and instead of having to force his way into the lane and work some very tough passing angles, he could get in without his man waiting for him there like last night and the combo of proficient jump shooter and being able to easily drive around his man who was charging at him was devastating to the hawks.  they had NO answers.

this is the rondo i have been dying to see for years.  we may not see him like this again this playoffs, but i hope we do.  i hope something lights a fire under his asse and he "gets it" this summer and decides it's high time to take care of business.  if he did he would easily score 16-19 a night, have much easier and even more assists and less turnovers.

as time goes on and this team changes the guard, it is going to be important that rondo becomes a decent, consistent scorer and jump shooting threat / FT% acceptable.  what's coming through the door to work with rajon is not going to be another trio of KG's, ray's and pierce's...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]I mentioned before last nights game that Rondo's jumper seemed to have improved... but people, we're getting a bit overboard because he had a great shooting night.  Remember, this is only one game. Anybody can heat up and hit open jumpers, even me. Now the fantasies begin that if Rondo can do this every game...blah blah.   I'd be more excited about it if Rondo's FT's were also improving greatly. I dont know the stats but id guess he's improved a bit but not enough to throw him a parade. Just dont want to get carried away due to one game. It was great to watch but if theres one blip on the radar that always sticks out for Rondo, its consistency. Game 3 he was awful in running the offense... forget the triple-double.. Game 4 he was fantastic... Game 5??? Exactly, nobody knows what to expcet from him. Keep that in mind when you think about his great shooting last night.. Encouraging...Yes... lets hope it continues

that's exactly what i said-  the FT% is what comes FIRST.  to date it hasn't at all.  this season rondo closed out at 59% FT which is not acceptable. 

and i also noted somewhere on the board that his triple double was an atrocity in the game before this last one with the 7-22 shooting representing over half of those shots being desperation heaves at an expiring shot clock, largely due to his very poor execution of the offense due to the SAG DOWN that was occuring off of him neutering his ability to be effective.

my post in no way intimated that i believed he was going to shoot this well every night, but i was merely noting it was the first time i had ever seen him hit so many shots in a game that the opponent was not willing to "live with it" (the chances of him making a shot) and actually came out to guard him- and the world opened up for him at that point.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

One game. He wouldn't have taken those shots in a game without the big lead. I'd prefer him to always take it to the rack when he has a window because he can get their often but decides to kick the ball out instead of take layups. I don't care if he misses a bunch of chip shot layups..I'll take those attempts versus mid range jumpers. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from videoburns. Show videoburns's posts

[QUOTE]One game. He wouldn't have taken those shots in a game without the big lead. I'd prefer him to always take it to the rack when he has a window because he can get their often but decides to kick the ball out instead of take layups. I don't care if he misses a bunch of chip shot layups..I'll take those attempts versus mid range jumpers. 
    Posted by tompenny[/QUOTE]

It is precisely BECAUSE he dishes it off so often (and effectively)  that he can get to the hoop without getting his shot blocked by taller interior defenders.  They don't know which way he is going to go, so they can't commit to defending his shot.    This is pretty basic.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]One game. He wouldn't have taken those shots in a game without the big lead. I'd prefer him to always take it to the rack when he has a window because he can get their often but decides to kick the ball out instead of take layups. I don't care if he misses a bunch of chip shot layups..I'll take those attempts versus mid range jumpers. 
    Posted by tompenny[/QUOTE]

Exactly true. And if the Big Three don't give R9R a big lead so that he can begin to step into his shots..... don't blame R9R.

Blame his teammates who aren't doing their job.

Pud

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

Hi,
    I think the consistent jumpers is a bonus. And I agree that it's mostly mental for RR.
    The major values of RR, that outweigh everything else, is his basketball IQ and floor generalship. He's like choreographer/chessmaster: he moves and makes the other players to move and knows where  they and he are going to be several moves ahead.
    Sure, he's not perfect, sure he makes a lot of mistakes. But currently I don't see any other PG let alone other position player who does it better than RR.

AK

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

This one game doesn't change anything about Rondo.  He is still the same guy that some say is the best pg in the game and others cannot stand.

Then there are a few of us that recognize that he is a  very good player, on a reasonable contract that wonder why so many other people spend so much time talking about Rondo when the Celtics have so many other pressing issues.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: After 6 years of waiting, I finally saw it tonight : It is precisely BECAUSE he dishes it off so often (and effectively)  that he can get to the hoop without getting his shot blocked by taller interior defenders.  They don't know which way he is going to go, so they can't commit to defending his shot.    This is pretty basic.
    Posted by videoburns[/QUOTE]

No.Basic basketball is taking the higher percentage shot. You don't pass on an easy layup to kick it for a jumpshot. You also draw fouls for you team taking it the rack..and Rondo and Pierce are the only ones capable of drawing fouls and put other teams over the limit early. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

Rondo had a mixed game 3; he did not play awful.  How can you forget the triple-double when nobody does it better, at least not currently playing in the Association in the last few years.  Add to that the four steals and his accomplishments was historical.  All this and the Celtics won.  I can't remember any other point guard receiving the amount of criticism during a huge playoff WIN than Rondo, but these are Celtics fans we're speaking of, right?

As Always,

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: After 6 years of waiting, I finally saw it tonight : red print is false.  i did not say that.  the stats show the reverse actually, which is what has been so disheartening.  i believe it was two years ago that rondo scored the most.  his FT% has been up and down, never better than his rook year of 64%.  that's just wrong. green print is what i'm talking about- just basic proficiency levels.  that's all he needs.  if he has respect for his jumper than the opposing defense falls open like a cheap suitcase for him and instead of having to force his way into the lane and work some very tough passing angles, he could get in without his man waiting for him there like last night and the combo of proficient jump shooter and being able to easily drive around his man who was charging at him was devastating to the hawks.  they had NO answers. this is the rondo i have been dying to see for years.  we may not see him like this again this playoffs, but i hope we do.  i hope something lights a fire under his asse and he "gets it" this summer and decides it's high time to take care of business.  if he did he would easily score 16-19 a night, have much easier and even more assists and less turnovers. as time goes on and this team changes the guard, it is going to be important that rondo becomes a decent, consistent scorer and jump shooting threat / FT% acceptable.  what's coming through the door to work with rajon is not going to be another trio of KG's, ray's and pierce's...
    Posted by aciemvp[/QUOTE]

From your post that started this thread:

If he shoots like he does tonight, or remains a consistent and decent threat to hit an open J, I can't think of a better point guard in the league.  Not even close

Well my fault if I mis-interpreted your very first post which I thought implied that he was playing and shooting more complete.  I thought your statement of  "remains consistent" meant you thought he was now more consistent shooting.   I'm not talking about Free Throws, I 'm talking about jump shots.   And I stick by my contention even if I misread your point - Rondo's jump shot is MORE consistent than it used to be.  He shot well last night but even without last night, he's shooting more consistent and more often (jumpers) than he used to.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: After 6 years of waiting, I finally saw it tonight : If Rondo had played for New Orleans the last 6 years, he would also have 0 championships like Chris Paul does.
    Posted by Mark from Ct[/QUOTE]

Speculation, isn't it?

As Always,