After 72-96 Hours

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajorMajor. Show MajorMajor's posts

After 72-96 Hours

Update #1:  "Kevin Garnett was extremely emotional in players pre-meeting, sources say. He was rallying peers to hold firm on BRI split."@WojYahooNBA

No season is good for the Boston Celtics. Good job, KG!Cool

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajorMajor. Show MajorMajor's posts

Re: After 72-96 Hours

Let me add by saying that no season hurts the players more than the owners. Team owners will still own the team regardless of their ages, whether they're 50 or 70 years old they will still be team owners. The players on the other hand will see their stock drop, so to speak, as they get older. Meaning, if a player can get 30m for 5 years now, when he's still 30 years old, he'll most likely not be able to get that same 30m and 5 years if the lockout ends next year and he's already 32 years old.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Looking forward to see who cracks first.

My money is on the players folding although it will seem like they settled. Many of these owners are young & full of fight. A guy like Mark Cuban, losing money holding out isnt gonna phase him. In fact, he may dig in deeper.

The players arent billionairres and their earnings window is a handful of years. They're gonna feel the squeeze, believe me.

Fans shouldnt lose sight either of this. Going to a game costs a fortune. Buying a bottle of water requires a second mortgage. One of the reasons is players making monster salaries.

I remember when Magic Johnson signed a contract extension for like 25 years for $25M.... we all thought that was crazy money the Lakers were paying him...way above the norm for the NBA. Now KG almost makes that in a season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shamrocks4ever. Show Shamrocks4ever's posts

In Response to Re: After 72-96 Hours:
    Looking forward to see who cracks first. My money is on the players folding although it will seem like they settled. Many of these owners are young & full of fight. A guy like Mark Cuban, losing money holding out isnt gonna phase him. In fact, he may dig in deeper. The players arent billionairres and their earnings window is a handful of years. They're gonna feel the squeeze, believe me. Fans shouldnt lose sight either of this. Going to a game costs a fortune. Buying a bottle of water requires a second mortgage. One of the reasons is players making monster salaries. I remember when Magic Johnson signed a contract extension for like 25 years for $25M.... we all thought that was crazy money the Lakers were paying him...way above the norm for the NBA. Now KG almost makes that in a season.
    Posted by Karllost

You're right, the players will most likely have to give up long before the owners.  It was probably two years ago that Bill Simmons wrote a column predicting a lockout in 2011, saying that the owners would be more willing to pull the trigger on a lockout this time around, because we learned in '99 that a surprising number of NBA players live paycheck-to-paycheck.  As Patrick Ewing said during the '99 lockout, "We may make a lot, but we spend a lot."  Unless a lot more of them saved up in preparation of this lockout, they're bound to run out of money - or more of them will leave for Europe, etc., so they can get paid.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

you would think that the NBA would learn a lesson from the NFL players lockout. The only difference is there is no influential owner to step up and make it happen. I believe the NBA season won't be missed by the fans as long as there is college Bball and Hockey. some cities that don't don't have NHL teams will hurt for the standpoint of the vendor selling popcorn or other concessions.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: After 72-96 Hours:
    you would think that the NBA would learn a lesson from the NFL players lockout. The only difference is there is no influential owner to step up and make it happen. I believe the NBA season won't be missed by the fans as long as there is college Bball and Hockey. some cities that don't don't have NHL teams will hurt for the standpoint of the vendor selling popcorn or other concessions.
    Posted by ANONMD08

A lot of NBA owners own hockey teams as well.  Cancelling the season seemed to work for them......the Celtics, owners, of course, do not own the Bruins, but they have to RENT the building from Jeremy Jacobs....I think the owners have them by the short hair, and they will not cave!

Sections
Shortcuts