AfterThoughts: Celtics vs. Miami 10/30/12

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stackgtr. Show stackgtr's posts

AfterThoughts: Celtics vs. Miami 10/30/12

Well first game of the season, and first thing I want to say is, we arent as ready as I thought we were!! Jeff Green wasnt himself at all and it took Terry some time to get into the fold of things. I would have liked Sullinger to start. I understand why Doc started Bass, but more and more like big baby Bass seems to over extend himself when his emotions are flowing and the moment is big.

Miami was hot tonight, made most of their threes, something that wont happen every night. So I wouldnt read too much into this loss tonight. What a good test to come have for the first game of the season, against miami. It will take some time before we get our defense up to par and get our offense into sync. It should come before midway into the season. I predict us to be a fourth maybe fifth seed until we get it together and jump into the top 3 seeds as the season comes to an end and be primed for a deep run.

Barbosa was a big surprise, I see him making a big impact on our team. Possibly edging out Lee for the starting sg. Which says alot because Lee has been playing great and has made an impact himself. We have alot of options at the 2 gaurd and its interesting to see how Doc figures it out.

Its hard digging into deeper player analysist since this is the first game of the season, but these are my afterthoughts.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Re: AfterThoughts: Celtics vs. Miami 10/30/12

RayRay seems to have found the fountain of youth playing with actual grown-ups willing to pass the ball around, spread the floor, play unselfishly and share the credit. (The return of UBUNTU maybe??? SouthBeach UBUNTU no less! Oh the irony!)

My goodness, RA was hitting open-look threes unmolested and driving to the basket with ease... something that happened only rarely in our clogged toilet offense with R9R dominating the ball while defenders cheated/collapsed/sagged/doubled and the Big Three had little room to work.

RA looked like he had been let out of jail tonight... and loved every minute of it!

Pud

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Boston has to make major adjustments.  It will be interesting.  I expect KG to figure it out.  He will be much better.  But 4 will continue to be our biggest need.  And they need another scorer.  Josh Smith will make the team elite.  I just don't see how they can get him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to Kirk6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Doc Rivers is really floundering around.

Sullinger and Lee should have played a lot more.

[/QUOTE]

Foundering too!

Sullinger for sure. 8 minutes.

Pud

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

I disagree with you guys.

Ray's southbeach high will fade. His ankles aren't fixed, so they'll get worse with more wear throughout the season. We've seen Wade. He's not going to always get all those shots to drop like he did today. Lebron will continue to be an unstoppable force.

As for us: Barbosa was fantastic, but that's not going to earn him a starting spot.

• Green being a no-show is not going to be the norm. He had a bad game, but we've seen what he can do.
    • Terry is the same story. He just was a step behind, got frustrated, missed some shots. We know Terry has the ability to get hot and match Ray's production on a normal night.
    • Sullinger played well. Doc just needs more confidence in him, which will be granted as the season progresses. Imagine being able to continue "small ball" when KG comes off the floor with Sullinger as the anchor, with Green at PF.
    • Kevin was emotional. Its a strength on defense, but it does make him a bit sloppy. KG can be a lot more productive against that team, it was just a weird night, and that weirdness really affects him
    • Bradley is such a key piece. We saw tonight that forcing Terry to cover Wade/Ray is asking too much. With Bradley and Lee, we can effectively shut down the Heat's SG position.
    • Wilcox. We were hurting with KG off the floor, and Wilcox could help that. He's big, but athletic and can handle Haslem or Bosh while being able to help on Lebron.

I thought Bass didn't put forward the full effort, so hopefully that changes. We showed we can stay with a HOT heat team. I am not worried. We do not need to dominate. All we need is a shot at another game 7 ECF with more amunition - exactly what we got!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

RayRay seems to have found the fountain of youth playing with actual grown-ups willing to pass the ball around, spread the floor, play unselfishly and share the credit. (The return of UBUNTU maybe??? SouthBeach UBUNTU no less! Oh the irony!)

My goodness, RA was hitting open-look threes unmolested and driving to the basket with ease... something that happened only rarely in our clogged toilet offense with R9R dominating the ball while defenders cheated/collapsed/sagged/doubled and the Big Three had little room to work.

RA looked like he had been let out of jail tonight... and loved every minute of it!

Pud

[/QUOTE]

LeBron & DWade "actual grownups"?

Unintentional  humor is always the funniest.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

Defense was awful tonight. Way, way too many open shots and players going unabated to the hoop. Hope Darko and Wilcox get healthy because they are going to need their size (and fouls) as they move forward. The next time these teams meet there needs to be some hard fouls delivered  to Bosh, James, et al. Garnett cannot do it alone. Things were just too easy for the Heat tonight. You can tell that with all the new players the D is still in the early stages of being worked out. Guys are still figuring out where they are supposed to be. 

Jeff Green looked mentally checked out. Don't know if the pressure got to him, but he looked nothing like the player we saw in the pre-season. Green might be the key to this whole celtic season. He needs to be a standout, the go to guy for the second unit. They need 15-16 pts a night from this guy and a whole lot more toughness than he demonstrated tonight. 

Courtney Lee got killed by Wade. Has to be better defensively. He's going to really help this team with the running game though and most nights he's not facing a dwayne wade. 

Garnett too seemed a little too amped up. Just didn't have it tonight. Sloppy, rushing shots, 5 turnovers. A step slow on D even. 

Terry obviously had a rough night, but he's going to be great for this team. He needs to find his offesnse in the flow though. He's at his worst when he tries to do too much in the half court. Gotta love the attitude though - he's happy to be here and wants to compete. It's just important not to expect to much. He's not a defensive stopper and he'snot a point guard. He's an assasin like shooter and a smart, albeit undersized two, who can get you points in bunches and bring energy to whatever unit he's out there with. 

Rondo and Pierce were ready to play, but this team is still figuring things out, especially on D. Lots of sloppy play on offense too. 

Sullinger will play more as the season goes on, but realize he's going to have a tough time offensively to start out with because he has no vertical game. He needs to figure out how to get his offense. 

Bass is obviously challenged in that area as well, but he was clearly working extra hard on the boards (11) and you have to love the effort on the offensive glass (6). His shot is always goong to be there - he's as effective as anyone in the league from 12-15 feet. If he attacks the boards night in and night out he's going to have a solid year. 

Have to acknowledge that they were facing the best team in the NBA. Lewis and Allen are huge pick-ups for them and Bosh at center works for them in the same way that moving garnett to 5 does for the celts. They are not unbeatable by any means, but this is a tough team with two guys in James and Wade, who can absolutely detroy teams. 

Celts have a ton of depth and a great guy running the show - they'll be fine. With that said, Miami is going to be tough to beat. 

a healthy Bradley will make a significant contribution to guarding top tier 2s. if they can figure out how to distribute the minutes this group of guards could be great. 

all in all it wasn't a great night, but this is going to be a fun year - wait till green lee, terry, wilcox,   barbosa, darko, and sullinger get into a groove and all feel comfortable with the syetem, and then  bradley gets back to add to the mix. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Typical classless post by pud. Yeah, playing with best player in the world and someone still top 5 will do that for a shooter. It's one game. Ray could easily fade by midseason. Reading your post it reads more like you are a Heat fan. You should seriously consider becoming one, no one will miss you around here and I think being a front runner will suit you. You can always still troll here as you always do. 

Ball sharing was not the problem with Ray here. The problem was he wanted the ball too much and complained about touches. Let's see how the season plays out. I wish him luck but since he's not a Celtic I'm not rooting for him as you seem to be. 

"Jeff Green wasnt himself at all"

Or, you could say this is the passive player Jeff Green typically is. I'm not sure that we didn't see the real Jeff Green tonight. I sure hope not as he has the potential to be an excellent player. But peeps have been a little too high on him IMO based on preseason illusions. 

The Heat are the better team and it's going to take a lot of work and some good breaks for the Celts to be at the Heat's level at the end of the season. But I'll be pretty shocked if Allen turns out to be integral to the Heat's success. He's one of a number of perimeter guys who can do the job down there if Lebron and Wade are rolling.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to Fiercest34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Let's be realistic guys. NBA experts don't think the Celts will win a championship or beat the Heat in the east. 

The reason why I'm very optimistic about this season is because the Celts got younger and more athletic. Celtic basketball is fun to watch again.

[/QUOTE]

The reason I am optimistic about the Celts is that they have some players with a lot of room to grow and that they have pieces to improve at the trade deadline.  This will be a fun season.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Ray will rarely play this well for the Heat, but Barbosa will rarely play this well for us, they cancel e/o out

It was simply a case of the snubbed prima donna with the chip on his shoulder rising to the occasion and the cheers of the home crowd, while 2 of Boston's 4 main newbie's showed jitters and rust. Green and Terry will play better in 90% of the rest of the games this year.

Lee and Sully both deserved more mins as said, but I don't want to see Sully at C vs. Bosh and in any game vs. the Heat Green will plays lots of PF vs. Battier/LeBron, he just has to defend better.

That goes for the whole team as far as the D needing to GREATLY improve... they put up 107 despite off nights on offense from KG, Green, Terry and Sullinger. Only Barbosa had a much better scoring output than is to be expected. Last year in only 1 of the 7 ECF did they score more than that, the OT robbery in game 2 (who is the punk Wade?) and in 5 of the 7 games the C's scored between 79-94 points. 

While still coming together as a unit and missing Bradley and (to a lesser extent) Wilcox, this team looked like it could score. Bradley improves the D tremendously of course, now they just need to work on chemistry and putting it all together to create a dominant system on both sides.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to prakash's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The reason I am optimistic about the Celts is that they have some players with a lot of room to grow and that they have pieces to improve at the trade deadline.  This will be a fun season.

[/QUOTE]

True!

The ideal player the Celts should have is Josh Smith. Smith matches up well with a team like the Heat. He can exploit Battier inside and he's fast and quick enough to defend the perimeter.

[/QUOTE]

Actually I will take Al Horford as well.  He is a competitor, can play in the post, and KG can move to 4.  The knock on Horford is that he is an undersized 5 (really a 4).  He will fit well in an undersized lineup.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

The  CELTS  are  going  to  be  a  fun  team  to  watch  this  year.  I  think  they  have  the  best  bench  in  the  league.  Just  need  to  stay  healthy.  They'll  have  to  figure  things  out  defensively.  It  was  frustrating  not  only  seeing  Ray  knock  down  3's  but  driving  uncontested  to  the  basket.  I  think  Bradley, Wilcox  and  Sullinger  are  going  to  be  major  contributors, if  they  can  stay  healthy.  Unfortunately, except  for  Sully's  7  minutes, they  were  missing  tonight.  I  think  if  the  Celts  can  figure  out  their  D  and  stay  healthy, they  can  beat  the  Heat.  We  are  such  a  deep  team. Nice  games  by  Lee  and  Barbosa.  I  would  not  only  look  to  fast  break  much  of  the  time, in  half  court  sets everyone  needs  to  run  around  like  Ray  does  to  tire  opponents  out.  The  Celts  won't  be  successful  unless  they  take  advantage  of  their  bench.  Two  guys  I  don't  have  confidence  in  are  Bass  and  Green.  Bass  reminds  me  so  much  of  Big  Baby  and  is  too  small  even  when  the  team  goes  small.  And  Green  just  isn't  mentally  tough  like  PP, KG  and  Terry.  RR  was  good  offensively, agressive  on  the  offensive  end.  However, he  hasn't  seemed  to  improve  on  his  3  weaknesses - turnovers, junior  varsity  free  throws  and  his  swipe  D.    The  Heat  certainly  got  most  of  the  calls  last  night.  The  non-call  with  Wade  hooking  RR  was  terrible  and  a  couple  of  ticky  tack  fouls  on  KG.  Overall, if  they  can  stay  healthy, the  Celts  will  be  legitimate  contenders. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to Kirk6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Doc Rivers is really floundering around.

Sullinger and Lee should have played a lot more.

[/QUOTE]

If Lee had played much more he would have fouled out in the first half.  He ended up with 5 fouls.  While I would have like Sully more as well,  I will stick with Doc ability to coach.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]

Pud

[/QUOTE]

Yea it hasn't worked out too well for us this Rondo at point guard has it?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]

Let's be realistic guys. NBA experts don't think the Celts will win a championship or beat the Heat in the east. 

The reason why I'm very optimistic about this season is because the Celts got younger and more athletic. Celtic basketball is fun to watch again.

[/QUOTE]
    Interesting that most of the NBA analysts that I heard yesterday, (Stephen Smith, Barkley, etc), expect the Celtics to be the 2nd best team in the Eastern Conference.  They believe the many additions to the Celtics have improved them significantly.  Most of them don't consider any other team to be even close, unless Rose is back in Chicago. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to susan250's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Interesting that most of the NBA analysts that I heard yesterday, (Stephen Smith, Barkley, etc), expect the Celtics to be the 2nd best team in the Eastern Conference.  They believe the many additions to the Celtics have improved them significantly.  Most of them don't consider any other team to be even close, unless Rose is back in Chicago. 

[/QUOTE]

Hi Susan,   I heard a lot of that yesterday as well.   I think we saw the two best teams in the East last nite.  When I defense starts clicking  we are going to run like a fine tuned machine.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sometime yes and sometimes no. Sometimes great and sometime awful.

I had to LOL at the totally useless "fake behind the back pass" that R9R has perfected. All style, zero substance. Like his GQ internship.

If he's going to impress, impress by going to the line, sinking his FTs and taking/hitting open 15 footers to the point that defenders have to finally honor his shot.

Pud

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]

Pud

I don't know if you recall but Allen often got 19 points playing with Rondo as well.

In fact Allen probably got 19 plus playing with Rondo about 400 times.

Did you know that?  You need to start following basketball a little more closely.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sometime yes and sometimes no. Sometimes great and sometime awful.

I had to LOL at the totally useless "fake behind the back pass" that R9R has perfected. All style, zero substance. Like his GQ internship.

If he's going to impress, impress by going to the line, sinking his FTs and taking/hitting open 15 footers to the point that defenders have to finally honor his shot.

Pud

[/QUOTE]

Or he could impress by scoring 20 with 13 assists and 7 boards.  

You really need to get over your creepy Rondo obsession.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

"One thing's for sure, the Celts need another superstar or a player that can take over a game."

"a nightmare for the opponent"

Yeah right.....1st game massacre and now you are looking for another superstar?

Call Howard......nightmare huh?......yep nightmare alright. Rondo becoming just a 100 meter dash runner.