Ainge hints Rondo is out until December

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Ainge hints Rondo is out until December

Today, finally from the horse's mouth we are told what it seems like the entire Celtic organization knew since the beginning of summer, that Rondo will be out until December.

Its been mentioned before that our season is loaded with games in November and that by December 1 we will be through 1/4 of all regular season games. Lets assume Rondo isn't back until Jan 02 game against the bulls ... thats 32/82 games. 

It was also released today that Stevens regards Avery as having the requisit skills to man the point. If this is the case, I bet you the starting lineup is Avery, Lee, Green, Bass, Humphries. Off the bench would be likely Pressey, Brooks, Wallace, Olynyk, Sullinger with Faverani and Crawford getting like 10mpg each.

Out of the 32 games, I think about half  11 are winable (against teams like Orlando, Milwakee, Utah, Charlotte, Toronto, Atlanta). Lets say we win 70% of the winnable games, and like 15% of the "not winnable" or clearly underdog games... that would come out to 11 wins.

Using my clearly flawless logic, thats my guess: 11/32 before Rondo comes back. Once Rondo returns, I stand by my past statements that he can almost make us a .500 team. Lets call that 22 more wins. Lets figure also that there is at least one additional unforeseen injury that cost us 4 wins.

This places us at 29 wins. Probably low enough to be the 7th worst record likely placing us in that 3-9 range in the draft. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Re: Ainge hints Rondo is out until December

In response to R9R's comment:

Today, finally from the horse's mouth we are told what it seems like the entire Celtic organization knew since the beginning of summer, that Rondo will be out until December.

Its been mentioned before that our season is loaded with games in November and that by December 1 we will be through 1/4 of all regular season games. Lets assume Rondo isn't back until Jan 02 game against the bulls ... thats 32/82 games. 

It was also released today that Stevens regards Avery as having the requisit skills to man the point. If this is the case, I bet you the starting lineup is Avery, Lee, Green, Bass, Humphries. Off the bench would be likely Pressey, Brooks, Wallace, Olynyk, Sullinger with Faverani and Crawford getting like 10mpg each.

Out of the 32 games, I think about half  11 are winable (against teams like Orlando, Milwakee, Utah, Charlotte, Toronto, Atlanta). Lets say we win 70% of the winnable games, and like 15% of the "not winnable" or clearly underdog games... that would come out to 11 wins.

Using my clearly flawless logic, thats my guess: 11/32 before Rondo comes back. Once Rondo returns, I stand by my past statements that he can almost make us a .500 team. Lets call that 22 more wins. Lets figure also that there is at least one additional unforeseen injury that cost us 4 wins.

This places us at 29 wins. Probably low enough to be the 7th worst record likely placing us in that 3-9 range in the draft. 

HUH? Don't forget that he is good for an 0-8 streatch somewhere along the way. He did that with a couple of HOFers on the team at the time. As a matter of fact, Rondo's gonna be on an 8-game losing streak when he returns! DAMN are you dillusional......kid.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from myurkus. Show myurkus's posts

i need a point of clarification.  has anyone in  the organization said hump will start at C?  or is it just your opinion?  I have not heard this, but I certainly could have missed it. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Why do people quote a long post that is right above?  Some of these threads take forever to get through, esp when they quote that guy that puts the "bwahahaha" pictures that are so long.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to melswitt's comment:

In response to cole-ely's comment:

Why do people quote a long post that is right above?  Some of these threads take forever to get through, esp when they quote that guy that puts the "bwahahaha" pictures that are so long.

You bet yer azz...

I do this because most of the youngsters in the Rondo Youth Brigade would rather look at pictures than read...

:)

IN that case, HERE THEY ARE AGAIN!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

IN that case, HERE THEY ARE AGAIN!!!

nice post, rally. tell us again who here is a kid.

bp

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to myurkus' comment:

i need a point of clarification.  has anyone in  the organization said hump will start at C?  or is it just your opinion?  I have not heard this, but I certainly could have missed it. 

There's been nothing definite, but some reports have indicated that he may. It sounds like:

1. The systems Stevens ran out of Butler rarely utilized a true center

2. Humphries & his agent have said that Kris is able to play and has played Center in the NBA. He will be prepared to play that position

3. Humphries, Sully & Fav are the closest thing to Centers on this team. Faverani is a huge question mark, whereas Hump has solid NBA experience

4. Danny needs to showcase Hump, and with so much depth at the 4, it makes sense for him to man the 5 as much as he can.

5. He is in great shape and if reports are correct that he's worked on his range, he could be an excellent stretch 5 next to our stretch 4s (Bass, Olynyk, Green)

All in all, would this be unreasonable?:

F: Green (30), Wallace (18)

PF: Bass (16) Olynyk (16), Sully (8), Green (8)

C: Hump (16) Sully (16) Fav (16)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

First, it will be no suprise to me that Bradley starts at PG.  This is simple logic to try to see if he can develop the skills at the point, otherwise he will be a situational player or traded.  He simply doesn't have the size and offensive game to be effective as a starting SG on this roster, IMO.

Second.  Rondo will be on the court before December 15.  Likely around December 1, to show he has recovered from his injury in time to feel out takers before the December trade deadline... I can't see competitive bound teams trading in February and trying to insert a new PG during their playoff run.  Not enough time to build new on-court chemistry. 

Third, Hump will not start at Center.  There is absolutely NO need to showcase Hump.  Need to showcase Bass and Wallace first and foremost but that doesn't mean they start either.  If Fav can walk and chew gum at the same time, he will start with both Hump and Oly getting some serious minutes off the bench at C.        

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

First, it will be no suprise to me that Bradley starts at PG.  This is simple logic to try to see if he can develop the skills at the point, otherwise he will be a situational player or traded.  He simply doesn't have the size and offensive game to be effective as a starting SG on this roster, IMO.

Second.  Rondo will be on the court before December 15.  Likely around December 1, to show he has recovered from his injury in time to feel out takers before the December trade deadline... I can't see competitive bound teams trading in February and trying to insert a new PG during their playoff run.  Not enough time to build new on-court chemistry. 

Third, Hump will not start at Center.  There is absolutely NO need to showcase Hump.  Need to showcase Bass and Wallace first and foremost but that doesn't mean they start either.  If Fav can walk and chew gum at the same time, he will start with both Hump and Oly getting some serious minutes off the bench at C.        

I disagree. Danny will not rush Rondo back to "showcase" him for a trade. If Rondo is traded it won't be to a serious contender (MIA, BKN, CHI, IND, OKC, SAN, HOU, GSW, MEM, LAC) needing immediate integration. It would be to a team really looking to make a jump into the playoffs this year and really contend next year. Teams like Detroit, Milwakee, Utah, Portland, Lakers, etc in which case there wouldn't be a ton of pressure to win this year.

I dont think either of us know if Hump or Fav or Sully will start at Center. Your guess is as good as mine. I've seen the few shotty highlight videos, but until the preseason games start, it will be hard to determine if Faverani is ahead of Hump. Hump is undersized for sure (in terms of height), but he has the strength to man the 5. I think he's stronger than Fav.

Avery is an enigma. We will see (KOW) from Jan forward how he and Rondo match up against the backcourts of the league. He is definitely undersized, but with the right PG (Rondo) he can be an effective starting 2. We just have to wait and see.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

I disagree. Danny will not rush Rondo back to "showcase" him for a trade. If Rondo is traded it won't be to a serious contender (MIA, BKN, CHI, IND, OKC, SAN, HOU, GSW, MEM, LAC) needing immediate integration. It would be to a team really looking to make a jump into the playoffs this year and really contend next year. Teams like Detroit, Milwakee, Utah, Portland, Lakers, etc in which case there wouldn't be a ton of pressure to win this year.

DA will trade Rondo to any team who gives him a face-saving return on his investment.

DA won't care in the least whether it is a team needing immediate help or a team w/o pressure to win this year.

As long as the destination team gives something of value in return, what happens next if/when Rondo reports/passes medical evaluation is someone else's problem.

Pud

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:

DA will trade Rondo to any team who gives him a face-saving return on his investment.

DA won't care in the least whether it is a team needing immediate help or a team w/o pressure to win this year.

As long as the destination team gives something of value in return, what happens next if/when Rondo reports/passes medical evaluation is someone else's problem.

Pud

What will be some examples of face-saving return?

It is generally agreed that Danny should trade Rondo if it improves the team.  So there is no issue there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to prakash's comment:

Pud

It is generally agreed that Danny should trade Rondo if it improves the team.  So there is no issue there.

Yeah I don't get that either. What would he need to save face on? Rondo has outplayed his draft pick and his contracts ...

Definitely trade Rondo if it improves that team, but "improve" can be qualified in different ways. If we move on from Rondo, I would want at least what Philly got for Jrue. A high draft pick in 2014 and a future Big. I'd take Drummond & Pick but that obviously isn't happening. I probably would take Monroe & 2014 pick. That would set up a complete rebuild where we would need to draft a top PG (Smart) in the upcomming draft. 

Realistically though Rondo isn't going anywhere. He is more valuable for us than in a trade and we now have the cap room and assets to build a contender in two years. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Pud

A high draft pic or two might work. Preferably lotto picks.

I don't think any team will give us an actual  all-star player in return.

Pud

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Pud

A high draft pic or two might work. Preferably lotto picks.

I don't think any team will give us an actual  all-star player in return.

Pud

Given that Rondo will be returning from an ACL reconstruction, the important question is where will he fall within the Kendrick Perkins and Mark Price spectrum.  That is the biggest unknown in assessing his value.

Danny already has multiple picks.  He can choose to make a trade for the fear that Rondo will be closer to Perkins upon his return.  But I don't see any pressure to do so.  If Rondo's stock is going to tank further upon his return, let it tank.  It is worth the gamble that the stock will be high.

As I gambler, I don't see any reason to hurry losing a losing hand.  Who knows, I might just win.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Given that Rondo will be returning from an ACL reconstruction, the important question is where will he fall within the Kendrick Perkins and Mark Price spectrum.  That is the biggest unknown in assessing his value.

For perspective GM's interested in acquiring him, the biggest unknown is between Rondo's ears..... maturity/temperment issues and his willingness/ability to make a seamless transition to a new team situation and to subdue his personal goals to adapt to team needs.....  less so the ACL.

Its also the biggest challenge for his current GM, something DA has been grappling with for a long time, weighting the prospects of trying to build a team around mercurial Rondo.

Note the synonyms for mercurial.....

Pud

1mer·cu·ri·al adjective \(ˌ)mər-ˈkyr-ē-əl\

: changing moods quickly and often

: changing often : very changeable

: very lively and quick

Close Style: MLA APA Chicago   EasyBib Full Definition of MERCURIAL 1 :  of, relating to, or born under the planet Mercury 2 :  having qualities of eloquence, ingenuity, or thievishness attributed to the god Mercury or to the influence of the planet Mercury 3 :  characterized by rapid and unpredictable changeableness of mood <a mercurial temper> 4 :  of, relating to, containing, or caused by mercury mer·cu·ri·al·ly \-ē-ə-lē\ adverbmer·cu·ri·al·ness noun See mercurial defined for English-language learners » See mercurial defined for kids » Examples of MERCURIAL
    1. <the boss's mood is so mercurial that we never know how he's going to react to anything>
    2. Few moments in English history have been more hungry for the future, its mercurial possibilities and its hope of richness, than the spring of 1603. —Adam Nicolson, God's Secretaries, 2003
    3. Though you could see all three places in one day, each of them makes you want to stay or to keep returning to watch the effects of the changing weather and the mercurial Sicilian light. —Francine Prose, Atlantic, December 2002
    4. Some scientists suggest that because manic-depressive patients are ever riding the bio-chemical express between emotional extremes, their brains end up more complexly wired and remain more persistently plastic than do the brains of less mercurial sorts. —Natalie Angier, New York Times, 12 Oct. 1993
    5. Still grinning, still miming, he samba-ed across the floor … and started in on the dishes with a vigor that would have prostrated his mercurial cousin. —T. Coraghessan Boyle, Harper's, October 1987
    6. [+]more[-]hide
    Origin of MERCURIAL (see mercury) First Known Use: 14th century Related to MERCURIAL
    Synonyms
    capricious, changeable, changeful, flickery, fluctuating, fluid, inconsistent, inconstant, fickle, mutable, skittish, temperamental, uncertain, unpredictable, unsettled, unstable, unsteady, variable, volatile
    Antonyms
    certain, changeless, constant, immutable, invariable, predictable, settled, stable, stationary, steady, unchangeable, unchanging, unvarying
    Related Words
    aimless, arbitrary, desultory, erratic, haphazard, hit-or-miss, irregular, random, scattered, slapdash, stray; ambivalent, hesitating, shaky, shilly-shally, shilly-shallying, vacillating, wavering; dicey, undependable, unreliable, untrustworthy; adaptable, mobile, protean, versatile
    Near Antonyms
    equable, even, uniform; abiding, durable, lasting, permanent, persistent; dependable, reliable, sure, tried, tried-and-true, true, trustworthy, trusty
    more See Synonym Discussion at inconstant  

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

For perspective GM's interested in acquiring him, the biggest unknown is between Rondo's ears..... maturity/temperment issues and his willingness/ability to make a seamless transition to a new team situation and to subdue his personal goals to adapt to team needs.....  less so the ACL.

Its also the biggest challenge for his current GM, something DA has been grappling with for a long time, weighting the prospects of trying to build a team around mercurial Rondo.

Pud

Close Style: MLA APA Chicago   EasyBib Full Definition of MERCURIAL 1 :  of, relating to, or born under the planet Mercury 2 :  having qualities of eloquence, ingenuity, or thievishness attributed to the god Mercury or to the influence of the planet Mercury 3 :  characterized by rapid and unpredictable changeableness of mood <a mercurial temper> 4 :  of, relating to, containing, or caused by mercury mer·cu·ri·al·ly \-ē-ə-lē\ adverbmer·cu·ri·al·ness noun See mercurial defined for English-language learners » See mercurial defined for kids » Examples of MERCURIAL

1. <the boss's mood is so mercurialthat we never know how he's going to react to anything>
    2. Few moments in English history have been more hungry for the future, its mercurial possibilities and its hope of richness, than the spring of 1603. —Adam Nicolson, God's Secretaries, 2003
    3. Though you could see all three places in one day, each of them makes you want to stay or to keep returning to watch the effects of the changing weather and the mercurial Sicilian light. —Francine Prose, Atlantic, December 2002
    4. Some scientists suggest that because manic-depressive patients are ever riding the bio-chemical express between emotional extremes, their brains end up more complexly wired and remain more persistently plastic than do the brains of less mercurial sorts. —Natalie Angier, New York Times, 12 Oct. 1993
    5. Still grinning, still miming, he samba-ed across the floor … and started in on the dishes with a vigor that would have prostrated his mercurial cousin. —T. Coraghessan Boyle, Harper's, October 1987
    6. [+]more[-]hide

Origin of MERCURIAL (see mercury) First Known Use: 14th century Related to MERCURIAL

Synonyms
    capricious, changeable, changeful, flickery, fluctuating, fluid, inconsistent, inconstant, fickle, mutable, skittish, temperamental, uncertain, unpredictable, unsettled, unstable, unsteady, variable, volatile
    Antonyms
    certain, changeless, constant, immutable, invariable, predictable, settled, stable, stationary, steady, unchangeable, unchanging, unvarying
    Related Words
    aimless, arbitrary, desultory, erratic, haphazard, hit-or-miss, irregular, random, scattered, slapdash, stray; ambivalent, hesitating, shaky, shilly-shally, shilly-shallying, vacillating, wavering; dicey, undependable, unreliable, untrustworthy; adaptable, mobile, protean, versatile
    Near Antonyms
    equable, even, uniform; abiding, durable, lasting, permanent, persistent; dependable, reliable, sure, tried, tried-and-true, true, trustworthy, trusty

RG3 is starting to remind me of Rondo.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to kyceltic's comment:

RG3 is starting to remind me of Rondo.

[/QUOTE]OUCH!!!

Two games behind the Cowboys already????

No way!!!

Pud

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Relax, we could not get equal value for the last few years for almost allstar Rondo, what makes you think we can now?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Pud

1. <the boss's mood is so mercurial that we never know how he's going to react to anything>
    6. [+]more[-]hide

Synonyms
    Antonyms
    Related Words
    Near Antonyms

LOL.  We have known for a while that you want Rondo gone no matter what.  Mercurial, yes, but you forgot to characterize brilliant as well.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Nope. Danny has said Rondo is the only player he won't trade. :) 

Pud

Sections
Shortcuts