Ainge on the Perk trade!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

Ainge on the Perk trade!

Recent interview by Greg Dickerson leaves no doubt about Danny's feelings about the trade.

Open below file.

http://www.necn.com/05/15/11/State-of-the-Celtics-Ainge-on-Perk-Trade/landing_sports.html?blockID=522951&feedID=6097

SeemsToMe

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

Re: Ainge on the Perk trade!

it hard to argue with any of that. well said. and it was still the right move to make.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from larry1717. Show larry1717's posts

Why didn't you post what Doc said about the trade last week when asked about it by the Big O on WEEI?  I imagine you did not mention this because Doc said the direct opposite of DA.  Doc stated that he wished the trade had been delayed till after the season.  He felt the trade destroyed the chemistry of the team and the fact that so many players were brought in with so little time to get them ready for the playoffs, made it impossible for this team to compete beyond the second level of playoff competition.

DOC disagreed completely with DA.  By the way, can you name even one trade or player personnel move that DA made since the 08 Championship season that has paid off?  I know I can not. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I watched the interview on Comcast yesterday (man, I love living in Maine and getting all this Celtic/Sox coverage everyday.....but I digress).....Danny put it all out there and it made perfect sense.....I feel the team is stronger going forward....although I really liked Semeh........

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

you know,  more telling in that interview was the fact that danny was really harping on offense. that makes me optimistic about what he'll be looking to do in the off-season. he may not be satisfied to simply add a couple of random aging parts like in years past. and that's a good thing. couple that with doc talking about PP coming off the bench, and it's clear doc and ainge know what's missing on this team. now they just have to figure out how to go get it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from larry1717. Show larry1717's posts

It is not clear to me that Danny has much of an idea what is missing on this team when he never even mentions Rebounding or getting loose balls.  I hate to tell some of you, but if you can not get the ball in your hands, you probably will not score.  Danny did say that he did not agree with those of us who feel he has personnally taken the "Toughness" from the team by not resigning Posey and Allen, and then trading Perkins.  Sure would have been nice to see Posey and Allen on the bench this year.  Do not write to tell me that Posey didn't even make the Indy playoff team.  He fit the Celtics as a role player, not either Indy or NO.  I had no goose bumps when i saw either Green or the Skinny, frail center come off the bench--No Toughness, Defense or Rebounds there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Green-Islander. Show Green-Islander's posts

it is what it is.

get over the trade. cant do nothing about it now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I agree with the statement about 'get over it' relative to the Perk trade. However, the real issue here is learning something about Danny's mindset (as Kaktug says) and what will happen in the future.  Danny loves athletic ability, speed, and offense.  Doc loves methodical offensive execution, knowing the plays, teamwork, controlled fast breaks, and defense.   Somehow they will have to reconcile their positions.

I think that's why Doc and Danny see the trade differently.  Doc thinks it broke the team's rhythm with too many new parts to integrate mid-season and Danny loves what it did for the future.  They love working together, but they are NOT yet in sync (at least not publicly).  

Somewhere between their positions is a great team.  I hope they figure it out.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notrade. Show notrade's posts

In Response to Re: Ainge on the Perk trade!:
    In Response to Re: Ainge on the Perk trade! : That's what happens when you don't keep the team intact after winning a championship. After the Celts won in 2008 they let James Posey go. Without James Posey the Celts would not have won in 2008, he was a very important player for the Celts.  The Lakers messed up their salary cap when they overpaid Lamar Odom after winning a championship in 2009. But they won another championship in 2010, so overpaying Odom was the right decision. After winning a championship in 2008 the Celtic owners were trying to get their ROI(return of investment) by minimizing expenses. Moves like letting Posey go and not re-signing Leon Powe is proof of that. They tried to make up for it in 2010 when they added Sheed and Marquis but it was too late as KG was never the same after getting hurt in 2009. 
    Posted by Fiercest34

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I watched this interview again.   Note that in Danny's answers he says Lebron hit 2 3pointers with Green and Paul draped over him.  I remember the plays Danny is talking about.

Danny is DEAD WRONG.  Lebron had plenty of time to stand there and measure the 2 3's he's talking about and both Paul and Jeff hung back on those shots letting Lebron shoot.  That is NOT great defense.  I'm not arguing that we didn't have offensive woes, also.  But on those plays, we also had poor defense and without defensive minded players around, Miami had too many easy points like this throughout the game.  Another example would be the constant rebounds and putbacks Joel Anthony got.  Another example is the game where we gave James Jones wide open 3's and made him look like an allstar.  

Danny, its not just about offense.  Our defense wasn't stellar, either.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notrade. Show notrade's posts

Yeah I bet the Lakers don't repeat either ,if Gasol gets hurt. 

Garnett got hurt in 2009,so having Posey would have been a waste of money.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from larry1717. Show larry1717's posts

No Trade---Wow!   Go back and study basketball 101 before you post anymore ridiculous comments.  You make yourself look like an absolute Fool.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

Danny Ainge is too cocky and conceited for his own good. He'll never accept making a mistake. If we could only trade him ...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Why didn't you post what Doc said about the trade last week when asked about it by the Big O on WEEI?  I imagine you did not mention this because Doc said the direct opposite of DA.  Doc stated that he wished the trade had been delayed till after the season.  He felt the trade destroyed the chemistry of the team and the fact that so many players were brought in with so little time to get them ready for the playoffs, made it impossible for this team to compete beyond the second level of playoff competition. DOC disagreed completely with DA.  By the way, can you name even one trade or player personnel move that DA made since the 08 Championship season that has paid off?  I know I can not. 
    Posted by larry1717

I also heard Doc and he did say that the trade should have been delayed until the end of the season.  For the reasons that you mentioned. The only regret that Danny has is not resigning Tony Allen at the end of last season. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Ainge on the Perk trade! : That's what happens when you don't keep the team intact after winning a championship. After the Celts won in 2008 they let James Posey go. Without James Posey the Celts would not have won in 2008, he was a very important player for the Celts.  The Lakers messed up their salary cap when they overpaid Lamar Odom after winning a championship in 2009. But they won another championship in 2010, so overpaying Odom was the right decision. After winning a championship in 2008 the Celtic owners were trying to get their ROI(return of investment) by minimizing expenses. Moves like letting Posey go and not re-signing Leon Powe is proof of that. They tried to make up for it in 2010 when they added Sheed and Marquis but it was too late as KG was never the same after getting hurt in 2009. 
    Posted by Fiercest34

I agree with you about the owners not being very generous and being more concerned about the bottom line than really caring about winning the championship.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

it's become clear to me that the best team we could have put on the court the past 2 years would have been tony allen, posey, perk and sheed. that team would have been so good that we wouldn't have needed a 5th player on the floor. ;)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

I watched this interview again.   Note that in Danny's answers he says Lebron hit 2 3pointers with Green and Paul draped over him.  I remember the plays Danny is talking about. Danny is DEAD WRONG.  Lebron had plenty of time to stand there and measure the 2 3's he's talking about and both Paul and Jeff hung back on those shots letting Lebron shoot.  That is NOT great defense.  I'm not arguing that we didn't have offensive woes, also.  But on those plays, we also had poor defense and without defensive minded players around, Miami had too many easy points like this throughout the game.  Another example would be the constant rebounds and putbacks Joel Anthony got.  Another example is the game where we gave James Jones wide open 3's and made him look like an allstar.   Danny, its not just about offense.  Our defense wasn't stellar, either.  
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

Disagree. The book on lebron has been to wall him from the paint and force him to beat you with his jumper. That's how we beat him last year. This year he just hit the shots and they were diffcult shots. Ray would have had trouble hitting one of those threes because it was falling away. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]i listened and DOC said point blank, that he would still make that trade! knowing what he knows now, NO!  so what? 20/20 is always perfect. had tyson known he would spend 3 years in prison, he wouldnt have walked into that room. so what? did you hear wyc grosbeck the majority owner on eei today? he said point blank, had perk stayed he would have the #3 center for shaq would have been starting (and likely a healthy JO  as his backup). 

how many minutes did krstic play? figure with baby getting some minutes as well, perk may have been a DNP on a few occasions. they knew he wasnt coming back and that his ego couldnt take being on the bench. he would have been pouting and complaining at some point. the fact is those who actually saw and knew perk did not respect or have much confidence for him! doc also said if he knew shaq would be healthy, in a heartbeat he would make the trade. he also said the doctors had all but guaranteed that shaq would be back in about 4 days after the trade was made and noone had expressed any concern whatsoever. yep based on the results, of course we would all consider different alternatives. but based on the process, of course you dont change the reality.

also quis getting hurt did not help things. give me a healthy quis and shaq with even without perk and we may still be playing right now.  stuff sometimes just happens!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

Why didn't you post what Doc said about the trade last week when asked about it by the Big O on WEEI?  I imagine you did not mention this because Doc said the direct opposite of DA.  Doc stated that he wished the trade had been delayed till after the season.  He felt the trade destroyed the chemistry of the team and the fact that so many players were brought in with so little time to get them ready for the playoffs, made it impossible for this team to compete beyond the second level of playoff competition. DOC disagreed completely with DA.  By the way, can you name even one trade or player personnel move that DA made since the 08 Championship season that has paid off?  I know I can not. 
    Posted by larry1717

i listened and DOC said point blank, that he would still make that trade! knowing what he knows now, NO!  so what? 20/20 is always perfect. had tyson known he would spend 3 years in prison, he wouldnt have walked into that room. so what? did you hear wyc grosbeck the majority owner on eei today? he said point blank, had perk stayed he would have the #3 center for shaq would have been starting (and likely a healthy JO  as his backup). 

how many minutes did krstic play? figure with baby getting some minutes as well, perk may have been a DNP on a few occasions. they knew he wasnt coming back and that his ego couldnt take being on the bench. he would have been pouting and complaining at some point. the fact is those who actually saw and knew perk did not respect or have much confidence for him! doc also said if he knew shaq would be healthy, in a heartbeat he would make the trade. he also said the doctors had all but guaranteed that shaq would be back in about 4 days after the trade was made and noone had expressed any concern whatsoever. yep based on the results, of course we would all consider different alternatives. but based on the process, of course you dont change the reality.

also quis getting hurt did not help things. give me a healthy quis and shaq with even without perk and we may still be playing right now.  stuff sometimes just happens!

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: Ainge on the Perk trade! : Daniels getting hurt was the key. Without that, we don't make the trade. And long term the trade will help us, if we use the draft choice well.
    Posted by Kirk6

So Perk being vastly overrated and overpaid was contingent upon Marquise Daniels' injury?  Sorry cannot make that connection.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Watch tonight's game and see how much Perk plays? Pretty soon he will play the same amount as Nate.  

Sections
Shortcuts