Ainge opened the door, will he walk through it?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Ainge opened the door, will he walk through it?

Ainge has stated publicly that he will trade the Big 3.  Is he motivating the current team or is he foreshadowing things to come?  Once you open that door, it's hard to shut it, especially if this team continues to struggle against better opponents.   

This Celtics team can and will be competitive, but in my opinion they're not getting out of the east.  Should he embrace the rebuild or do what he can do personnel-wise to make a deep playoff run.  What will Danny do? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Re: Ainge opened the door, will he walk through it?

"He had a chance to trade Larry (to Indiana) for Chuck Person and Herb Williams and (Steve) Stipanovich and he had a chance to trade Kevin (to Dallas) for Detlef Schrempf and Sam Perkins. I was like are you kidding? I mean I feel that way now. If I were presented with those kind of deals for our aging veterans, it’s a done deal to continue the success."

---------------------------------------------
    Well this is telling me the Big 3 are as good as gone

Ainge loves to trade doesn't he?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Look at KG and Pierce's salary it will not be easy.  What we get back will not be that eventful.  Take it easy.  He is just trying to see if someone will come calling.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

In Response to Re: Ainge opened the door, will he walk through it?:
    [QUOTE]Who would take them?
    Posted by Kirk6[/QUOTE]
    With their contracts, my guess is nobody.
    They will not be traded because there will be no takers.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

KG on a good rebounding team, where he could just do his thing, would still be a very good player!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

[QUOTE] KG on a good rebounding team, where he could just do his thing, would still be a very good player!!
    Posted by kyceltic[/QUOTE]

A freakishly expensive 7 ft jumpshooter, that's for sure.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bird-to-DJ. Show Bird-to-DJ's posts

All 3 can play important pieces for playoff teams - but with their salaries, any trade is most likely a 2-for-1 and it is very unlikely that both salaries are expiring so we'd need to be getting something back of greater value than cap flexibility of Ray and KG's salaries.  And I jus't don't find the PP for Rudy Gay; RA for Serge Ibaka realistic from the other team... Just don't.  If some team offers then DA should consider but to expect it isn't realistic, IMO.  And there are real good reasons why Blatche/Mayo and others may eb available - bad contracts / subpar players...

Now, I think the team will improve and is still a playoff team.  If it's the 6 seed then maybe we get out of the 1st round and then who knows... But unless you are the Heat or Bulls, you are saying, let's get out of the first round and then  who knows so we'd be in the same boat as everyone else...  If we do not improve prior to the trade deadline, then maybe there is a team out there with a trade exception, an expiring contract or young player, and a mid- late- 1st round pick that might grab one of the Big-3 for a playoff run... Anyone know of the team that might have that combination...?  Anything other than that (or a GM with a Brain Freeze that offers a Serge Ibaka) and I expect DA views the cap relief / flexibility as more important moving forward than simply getting somebody...

But how about we readdress all this in another 12 games once PP gets back into shape (how he came into trianing camp is unfortunate), Pietrus is fully into the mix, etc... before going into trade everyone mode...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics2008Champs. Show Celtics2008Champs's posts

If we put in a first round pick with kg or pierce, there will be ALOT of offers

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics2008Champs. Show Celtics2008Champs's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ainge opened the door, will he walk through it? : We're the ones in need of draft picks. I don't think it's wise if we will be the one giving out draft picks when we will be rebuilding next year.
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

That is true. We do need them. I would only trade them for the right deal

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bird-to-DJ. Show Bird-to-DJ's posts

[QUOTE]If we put in a first round pick with kg or pierce, there will be ALOT of offers
    Posted by Celtics2008Champs[/QUOTE]

"ALOT of offers".  Like what?  It would have to be a very good player for DA to give up our #1 in this draft (esp. if we are not a playoff team at the deadline) plus we'd have to take back at least annother player to make salaries work so that player would liekly have to be an expiring contract as well reducing the value of the other team including him in the trade.  assuming the other team is a playoff team, they would have to be willing to give up this hypothetical player thinking KG is an upgarde... Who exactly would this be...?

My comment wsa really focused on people yelling at DA to blow it up and trade... when his best course of action to blow it up is to let the contracts expire.  I am all for a better option - but it has to be realistic or it's just a waste of time... Please help me understand what combination of $20million in salaries the other team is going to offer us for KG (PP maybe) and our #1 that is going to make DA more comfortable moving forward than having maximum payroll flexibility (which will be gone or severely hampered) and the draft pick... I don't see it.  That is why I ask the question...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ainge opened the door, will he walk through it? : "ALOT of offers".  Like what?  It would have to be a very good player for DA to give up our #1 in this draft (esp. if we are not a playoff team at the deadline) plus we'd have to take back at least annother player to make salaries work so that player would liekly have to be an expiring contract as well reducing the value of the other team including him in the trade.  assuming the other team is a playoff team, they would have to be willing to give up this hypothetical player thinking KG is an upgarde... Who exactly would this be...? My comment wsa really focused on people yelling at DA to blow it up and trade... when his best course of action to blow it up is to let the contracts expire.  I am all for a better option - but it has to be realistic or it's just a waste of time... Please help me understand what combination of $20million in salaries the other team is going to offer us for KG (PP maybe) and our #1 that is going to make DA more comfortable moving forward than having maximum payroll flexibility (which will be gone or severely hampered) and the draft pick... I don't see it.  That is why I ask the question...
    Posted by Bird-to-DJ[/QUOTE]

If I understand what you're saying, I agree. I think the current course of action, letting this team do what it will as constituted, is the most likely scenario. 

I can't see anyone giving the C's something good for KG, the C's would need to take back contracts (likely non-expiring ones) and unless it's a significant building piece why would both teams do it?  The other team thinks that KG is the missing piece?  I don't see that happening.  The C's can let KG walk and use his salary slot.

Pierce?  Can they get a significant rebuilding piece and draft pick for him?  If they trade him, what does that say to KG and Ray?  Sorry, you can play out the year, but we're rebuilding?  

Ray?  Maybe they can get something for him, but it would have to be a good young player and I can't think of the team who would take Ray over a promising young player right now.  Is he the final piece for a contender?  I don't think so.  

They already tried with Rondo, enough said there.  

I think this team is the team we'll see for the entire year.  Ainge would do a deal if the right one came up, but I'm having trouble seeing just what that deal is.     

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Great article on Boston making moves. Sums it up pretty good. I mentioned Beasley but was run off by it.

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2012/01/19/blow-it-up-finding-sensible-trades-for-bostons-big-three-vets-no-easy-task/?sct=nba_bf2_a4

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoylestonBB. Show BoylestonBB's posts

Firstly I think Ainge made this  public to test public opinion.

Secondly teams think differently at the trade deadline, they decide to go all-in or all-out.  Should be an interesting month.