Ainge says nobody in draft will turn team around "in next two seasons"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Ainge says nobody in draft will turn team around "in next two seasons"

DA quoted in an article on Boston.com saying while there are some nice players in the upcoming draft, none of them will turn the franchise's fortunes around in the next one or two seasons...

So kids, if you were hoping for a quick return to greatness, DA himself has stamped hard on the brakes...like many here have been cautioning....it also means more likely than not that he'll use as leverage a few of those #1 future draft choices we have, along with some current talent, to get some DECENT bodies back in return...hopefully he gets someone willing to take drek like Green, and please lord, RONDON'T.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Re: Ainge says nobody in draft will turn team around

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

DA quoted in an article on Boston.com saying while there are some nice players in the upcoming draft, none of them will turn the franchise's fortunes around in the next one or two seasons...

So kids, if you were hoping for a quick return to greatness, DA himself has stamped hard on the brakes...like many here have been cautioning....it also means more likely than not that he'll use as leverage a few of those #1 future draft choices we have, along with some current talent, to get some DECENT bodies back in return...hopefully he gets someone willing to take drek like Green, and please lord, RONDON'T.

My take is that DA isn't just saying that for this year's draft, he means that for every draft, no matter the players in it. He is simply telling everyone that it come down to the work of the GM who makes multiple moves to build the right team who turns it around. If I am DA, I want the credit too. ANYBODY could pick the best player in the draft, and unless you have the right pieces along side, it won't make a big difference.  Oh, and BTW, before I forget, DUMP RONDO.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

For everyone who keeps saying to 'dump Rondo', who do you suggest we replace him with?  Are the Rondo haters the same fans that are obsessed with Dante Exum?  Do they realize that Dante Exum is also supposed to be a lousy shooter?

I'll be honest, I was ready to ship out Rondo at the tradeline.  But then he came back and started putting up the same Assist numbers as he did during the Big 3 Era.  In no time at all, he put that argument to rest. 

I'm sorry I bashed him.  He really is an elite distributor no matter who is on the roster.  He also hates Miami/Ray Allen with a passion- which I think's fantastic.  You just don't dump a player like him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to MitchUnderpants' comment:
    [QUOTE]

For everyone who keeps saying to 'dump Rondo', who do you suggest we replace him with?  Are the Rondo haters the same fans that are obsessed with Dante Exum?  Do they realize that Dante Exum is also supposed to be a lousy shooter?

I'll be honest, I was ready to ship out Rondo at the tradeline.  But then he came back and started putting up the same Assist numbers as he did during the Big 3 Era.  In no time at all, he put that argument to rest. 

I'm sorry I bashed him.  He really is an elite distributor no matter who is on the roster.  He also hates Miami/Ray Allen with a passion- which I think's fantastic.  You just don't dump a player like him.

You dump him. Period. DA will figure it out on the for who/what part. Dump him. He won a championship with 3-HOF-ers on the floor with him. Some of us might have been able to do that! C's have been by far a worse team with him on the floor than when he is not. Their W-L percentage is pathetic with him vs without him this year and even since his return. Check it yourself. He is an illusion to many of you who think he is a great player. Great players close games, Rondo loses them. Terrible FT and FG shooter in the clutch.  Physically gifted? YES. But as an NBA "star", He may very well be the most overrated player in the league right now. Dump him.......Smart business is to Dump him. Watch..........

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

Again, that's the same thing I was saying 3 months ago- I said even I would've averaged 10 assists per game if I were the C's PG during the Big 3 Era.  But look at what he did last night, he had 10 assists in the first half didn't he?  How can you replace that?

RallyC- If you get rid of Rondo, who is our new starting PG? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

[QUOTE]

Again, that's the same thing I was saying 3 months ago- I said even I would've averaged 10 assists per game if I were the C's PG during the Big 3 Era.  But look at what he did last night, he had 10 assists in the first half didn't he?  How can you replace that?

Mitch, 

Nobody denies his ability to pass the ball, but he has very little defense now, can't hit the side of a barn when needed most. His negatives far outweigh his positive affects on a young team. Personal stats are irrelevant when your team sucks. On occasion, your best star player should be able to WILL his team to a win once in a while. Rondo does the opposite too often. He far too often is involved the key plays that cost this team what appear to be potential victories. You can replace an over priced malcontent who sets the wrong example for a developing team even if it is a talent down grade. He will not be part of this team once we are winning again. He is not a winner. The C's only won one trophy because of him. they chould have had at least two with the last Big-3. He was simply a distraction with a lot of flash and dash from time to time. Dump him. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

I see that as a sign that DA will be a seller before this draft.  It makes sense for him to run down the draft quality if he wants draft picks for his current players.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My take is that DA isn't just saying that for this year's draft, he means that for every draft, no matter the players in it. He is simply telling everyone that it come down to the work of the GM who makes multiple moves to build the right team who turns it around. If I am DA, I want the credit too. ANYBODY could pick the best player in the draft, and unless you have the right pieces along side, it won't make a big difference.  Oh, and BTW, before I forget, DUMP RONDO.

[/QUOTE]
    RALLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

I agree with ya bro, absolutely...DA wants to be "trader" DA and use every resouce, asset and method available to build a real, long term winner....that's what ownership wants.

Keepin' the faith regarding RONDON'T!!!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

M8...agree...he could be trying to play possum and setting someone up with a draft day deal, hoping to make someone he really wants available at some point during the first round....he sucked too much Red cigar smoke...it's in his blood!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I think for DA it's all about acquiring talent and either developing young guys our trading them them along with picks/other young players to get an established vet if one becomes available.  Ainge will draft the best player available and worry about the how to build his roster later as opportunities present themselves. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Mitch, 

Nobody denies his ability to pass the ball, but he has very little defense now, can't hit the side of a barn when needed most. His negatives far outweigh his positive affects on a young team. Personal stats are irrelevant when your team sucks. On occasion, your best star player should be able to WILL his team to a win once in a while. Rondo does the opposite too often. He far too often is involved the key plays that cost this team what appear to be potential victories. You can replace an over priced malcontent who sets the wrong example for a developing team even if it is a talent down grade. He will not be part of this team once we are winning again. He is not a winner. The C's only won one trophy because of him. they chould have had at least two with the last Big-3. He was simply a distraction with a lot of flash and dash from time to time. Dump him. 

[/QUOTE]

Agreed...someone will want him..he's valuable to an established team missing a floor leader...some team that just has plenty of offense but needs a table setter...he does that well, maybe better than almost anyone else...but to have that be all you get from the guy? And he'll want a max contract and can't be coached once he's on the floor with the ball in his hands?  NOPE, NO WAY!

The dude's offense sucks...don't quote slightly improved shooting stats, because when you compare them to max contract players they suck...compare his winning % when he's on the floor vs. when he's not and things look even worse...compare his winning % when he's on the floor to the winning % of max contract guys when they play and I bet he looks equally horrid...and even the least objective analyst has to agree the ONLY stat that really matters is winning % when you're on the floor vs. when you are not!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Please keep in mind that even if we are in the Ping Pong ball picks so in the top 5. Four(4) other teams will also get a # 1 pick. Say we get to pick in the top 5 and then we have another # 1. If DA gets exactly who he wants, which 2 draft players are going to turn us around ? We really need a Center and I say if we don't get Embiid, to use our # 1 pick maybe needed to get Asik but maybe too we can get him with our 2nd pick and a couple of the 10 we have coming up in next couple of years. Asik, Sully & Oly will be a formidable frontcourt. Unload Wallace, Bass & Green too and draft Doug McDermott, a scoring machine, and maybe C. Early too. And in the G position, we are OK with Rondo, Bradley & C. Johnson who can play F too.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

DA will deal some of his future picks this year for proven players. Like I posted the draft is over rated, straight from the horses mouth.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Embiid or Parker would turn it around.

Ainge is playing a game with the media.

Lower expectations and lower the value of what you really want.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Please keep in mind that even if we are in the Ping Pong ball picks so in the top 5. Four(4) other teams will also get a # 1 pick. Say we get to pick in the top 5 and then we have another # 1. If DA gets exactly who he wants, which 2 draft players are going to turn us around ? We really need a Center and I say if we don't get Embiid, to use our # 1 pick maybe needed to get Asik but maybe too we can get him with our 2nd pick and a couple of the 10 we have coming up in next couple of years. Asik, Sully & Oly will be a formidable frontcourt. Unload Wallace, Bass & Green too and draft Doug McDermott, a scoring machine, and maybe C. Early too. And in the G position, we are OK with Rondo, Bradley & C. Johnson who can play F too.

[/QUOTE]

We'll never win squat with Rondon't...he's uncoachable, bull headed and far to self willed and stubborn the be relied upon.....he's a team basketball anti-christ, coming across as a great assist guy when it really is all about him ALL THE TIME...dump him, sooner than later...or he'll PROVE how much of a me first cretin he is and walk away into free agency after next season...watch...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

Da is not playing "possum". There is no point. Another gm is not going to pass on a guy becuz DA thinks he is not that good. Makes no sense.

Da is stating the obvious, when seattle/okc drafted durant they suked for 2 years. And there is def no durant in this draft.

If we dont get a top 3 pick,  I could def see da trading the pick, but for who. The only guys that makes sense is kevin love, but he wont resign here, so that wont work.

I also agree with mitchunderpants about trading rondo. All the rondo haters want him gone but not ONE of you have offered a replacment option. And please dont give me exum as your replacment option, anyone who says they have seen this kid play more than once or other than youtube clips is lying. He is a total unknown. 

Rondo is a top pg the only argument is how high do you rate him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

In response to gman101019's comment:

Da is not playing "possum". There is no point. Another gm is not going to pass on a guy becuz DA thinks he is not that good. Makes no sense.

Da is stating the obvious, when seattle/okc drafted durant they suked for 2 years. And there is def no durant in this draft.

If we dont get a top 3 pick,  I could def see da trading the pick, but for who. The only guys that makes sense is kevin love, but he wont resign here, so that wont work.

I also agree with mitchunderpants about trading rondo. All the rondo haters want him gone but not ONE of you have offered a replacment option. And please dont give me exum as your replacment option, anyone who says they have seen this kid play more than once or other than youtube clips is lying. He is a total unknown. 

Rondo is a top pg the only argument is how high do you rate him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rondo is not a top pg.

Rondo is ranked 31st among point guards in the NBA in PER.

Rondo is shooting 37% from the field and 28% on threes, and he is not a good defender.

And the team is 3.3 points worst with Rondo on the court.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Rondo is a keeper IMO. We've all seen what an amazing player he is when you get talent around him. Some expect a Jordan type talent/effort out of Rondo (on a bad knee), and that just ain't gunna happen. Especially with this squad. Those that don't like him keep him under an electron microscope everytime his face or name is shown/mentioned. He's not a scorer. He's an offensive facilitator, who can raise his game to step up in other areas as well. One of the best, if not thee best offensive facilitator. Rajon, Hump, and Avery are the best players we have right now. Sully is coming along (at times has looked like an allstar), and so has Oly of late. What really hurts this team is that NOONE commands a double-team, noone. That, and no rim protector. Rondo and Oly are the only two players I see who like to keep the ball moving/make the extra pass to move the defense. Shame, as soon as we got Rondo back, out went Bradley (or was it a shame? tank, tank, tank). I'm not a fan of the whole "lets dump our top chef because the whole kitchen staff made up of temps, sucks" idea. Nor do I subscribe to blaming or applauding one player for W's and L's (especially when they're rehabbing a serious knee injury). That being said, if the right deal comes along.... in Danny, I trust. So to answer your question, there is noone (creditable) to replace Rajon as our starting PG that I can see. Rondo is good for these young guys. haven't heard any complaints from them. Actually, I wouldn't care if this team of rejects did complain about him. They didn't respect or like Crawford. Tagging him as "selfish". Plus, Rajon is a draw. Who else on this team is?

"But then he came back and started putting up the same Assist numbers as he did during the Big 3 Era.  In no time at all, he put that argument to rest."

I remember overly cocky/know-it-all types (some of them) arguing that as well. "only reason he gets all those assists is cause he's passing the ball to 3 HOF'ers"...... oops..... Rondo is just one of those feisty players who will never prove himself in the eyes of some. And I can understand that to a degree. Just not to the point of total disdain, exagerations, and nit-picking. To each their own (sometimes). They know who they are (and I remember a few).

Agreed. Both Exum and Smart are not shooters, currently. Haven't seen Exum play (not really), but I do like Smart. And too, I'm not sure I agree with Danny on this one. Who knew Toronto's trade of Rudy Gay would back-fire and turn that team around? It was suppose to help them blow it up, as their owner was wanting to disassemble. I think a few of these draft guys are a likely candidate to "help" uplift a team to a possible winning record. There's just not "that guy" forseeable. I always say, chemistry is a very funny and unpredictable thing at times. We've all heard the term "who knew", right? Doesn't mean it will happen, but you never know.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

Come on chris, he has CAREER 49% FG%. He does tend to gamble on defense, but hes a 4 time all nba defender and opposing coaches make those selections, I think they know more than you or me about defense.

You and all the rondo haters can harp on his  lack of 3pt shooting and ft shooting. No argument there. Every other area he is above average to elite.

Plus hes led the league in apg in what 3 years in a row now. Not too many players lead ANY category in the nba and are not considered elite.

As I mentioned before you and other rondo haters want him gone but cant offer another  option.  Who do you replace him with?

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Mel Ainge has some points but you have to be careful there as he also has a vested interest in certain agendas with this year's draft. (such as devaluing the top picks for trade purposes). 

So, I'll take his view on this year's draft more seriously after the draft is over. :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

Rondo-  For those of you using Win/Loss percentage based on this season's stats, that's just absurd.  NO ONE on the Celtics is worried about wins or losses right now.  Not DA, not Stevens, and certainly not the players.  It's been widely agreed upon that- THIS IS A REBUILDING YEAR.  Rondo's obviously not hellbent on winning right now.  And it's not fair to use that against him.  No one in the franchise is trying to lose games or tank right now, but they're certainly not trying to win them either.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

The Draft- "DA quoted in an article on Boston.com saying while there are some nice players in the upcoming draft, none of them will turn the franchise's fortunes around in the next one or two seasons..."

For those of you suggesting this is merely smoke and mirrors, try watching some of the March Madness games this weekend.

Did Jabari Parker sit at the press conference following the Mercer loss?  No.  What about Rodney Hood?  No.  Why??  They played terribly.  They couldn't get it going against a no-name school which turned around and got clobbered by Tennessee-- two days later.  In the end: Coach K used the fact that they were just freshman as an excuse.

Ok.  This is all yesterday's news.  What happened last night?  How did ZACH LAVINE do?

Zach's been a borderline lottery pick all season long, right?  Like Exum, all of the scouts have been touting him based on his size and athleticism.  Well last night he only played 24 minutes.  As usual, he wasn't in the starting line-up.  And he didn't record ONE single assist.  (At least for Zach, UCLA lost to a good school like Florida).  But like Parker and Hood, and he had no impact on this game. 

You can go ahead and say that DA is BS'ing about his comments regarding the draft.  But based on their performances, I doubt it.  This year's draft class has been grossly over-rated from start to finish.

25. This post has been removed.