Ainge to Globe: "We're not tanking"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hops29. Show hops29's posts

Ainge to Globe: "We're not tanking"

Ainge told Gary Washburn of the Globe "We are not tanking! That's rediculous! This is the Celtics!"

Ha ha...sure D.A.

No, not tanking, just trading all our decent players for washed up hasbeens, neverwas' expiring contracts, and future draft picks.  Oh and drafting guys that have already reached their ceiling.

But tanking???? No never!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Re: Ainge to Globe:

In response to hops29's comment:

Ainge told Gary Washburn of the Globe "We are not tanking! That's rediculous! This is the Celtics!"

Ha ha...sure D.A.

No, not tanking, just trading all our decent players for washed up hasbeens, neverwas' expiring contracts, and future draft picks.  Oh and drafting guys that have already reached their ceiling.

Who are the decent players that hes traded? They were gone hadnt he pulled this magic trick with Nets. WHO?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

Ainge wants Olynk to be used as a C/PF. He can move over to C when Sully comes in.

The highlights of Iverson look pretty good. I can't wait to see these guys and Melo in summer league.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

Celtics have too many players...need to clean it up before free agents come in.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

In response to BirdLewsBias' comment:

Ainge wants Olynk to be used as a C/PF. He can move over to C when Sully comes in.

The highlights of Iverson look pretty good. I can't wait to see these guys and Melo in summer league.

You are a true fan with basketball knowledge and understanding.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Celtics have too many players...need to clean it up before free agents come in.

BLB... that actualy is also a direct quote from Danny. He said today that we do have too many players and we need to tighten up the roster before thinking about signing free agents...

so expect more to come from Trader Danny!

(Yes, im looking at YOU! Wallace, Humphries, Lee, Bass, and CRAWFORD)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Louisio. Show Louisio's posts

I certainly hope this is pure spin on Danny's part. I think the incentive to lose aspect of the lotterly system is a pretty disgraceful aspect of the NBA's M.O., but you can't blame the Cs for basing their rebuilding strategy on the world as it is instead of the world as we wish it to be. Mind you, I don't recommend making a habit of tanking it -- a culture of losing is hard to reverse once it's entrenched. But once ever fifteen or twenty years? Why not? Celtics at best next year are a first round out in the playoffs.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hops29. Show hops29's posts

Here is my take on Olynyk....Too slow to play the 4.  Too weak to play the 5.  

He is a liability on D at both positions.   Can't rebound or block shots, short arms, bad lateral movement, turnover prone,  terrible vert, strength at the combine was mediocre at best.

So please don't try to sell him to me as a special player. I'm not buying it.

As far as giving up decent players, That package of garbage and 3 picks is a definitive far future move.  Not one of those guys is going to help us win, in fact they will probably ensure the opposite.  And Rondo is the next to go, more than likely for another expiring contract and more picks.

How is this not a tank?

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

No move that has occured is a definitive sign of tanking. We were not a good team last year with or without Rondo and a change of players or coaches is inevitable to get better. The draft pick is as good as we could get at 13.

What will be a telling sign is who we now use our available cap space on or who we decide to trade ( Rondo, Green ). If we are not active in the FA market to improve now or if we trade Rondo for expiring contracts and draft chips. The tanking is on.

Let's not cry about it before then as if it has already happened.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

He is a liability on D at both positions.   Can't rebound or block shots, short arms, bad lateral movement, turnover prone,  terrible vert, strength at the combine was mediocre at best.

A lot of the same things were said about sully.And he he ended being one of the best rookies last year.

You fail to mention any of his strengths, very good shooter and finisher. Very good bball iq.  We needed size and  shooting . Olynyk helps in both areas. I think hes going to be a solid player. Has versatility can play in the  halfcourt and can run the floor

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hops29. Show hops29's posts

It's certainly won't be beautiful.  With Olynyk, Humphries, Sully, all getting repeatedly posterized cause not one of them is a good defender, and all of our guards bricking bad shot after bad shot it,sgoing to be very ugly.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

It's certainly won't be beautiful.  With Olynyk, Humphries, Sully, all getting repeatedly posterized cause not one of them is a good defender, and all of our guards bricking bad shot after bad shot it,sgoing to be very ugly

Rebuilding rarely is.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Ha ha...sure D.A.

Tanking never, Do you know we have to sell tickets to those suckers. Thats rediculous! We have to make those suckers think we want to win. Opps !!! did i just say that>  D.A.....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

I don't see us tanking as much as getting younger.

Pierce and Garnett are not what they used to be.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

As far as giving up decent players, That package of garbage and 3 picks is a definitive far future move.  Not one of those guys is going to help us win, in fact they will probably ensure the opposite.  And Rondo is the next to go, more than likely for another expiring contract and more picks.

How is this not a tank?

wow..lets see how he does...maybe you will have to change your nick..or maybe you were right...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

In response to chris33's comment:

I don't see us tanking as much as getting younger.

Pierce and Garnett are not what they used to be.

+1..whoever wanted KG and PP to stay, really have no vision whatsoever.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

How is this not a tank?

Ok well what would've been your plan? It's easy to be Johnny come lately and crticize all the moves but what choice did Ainge have? He turned 3 guys into 4 #1 picks...and 2 of those players will be done in 2 years. The Celtics may still be making picks when KG and PP are on the beach.

Let's hear what you would've done......I'll wait.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

[QUOTE]

How is this not a tank?

Ok well what would've been your plan? It's easy to be Johnny come lately and crticize all the moves but what choice did Ainge have? He turned 3 guys into 4 #1 picks...and 2 of those players will be done in 2 years. The Celtics may still be making picks when KG and PP are on the beach.

[/QUOTE]

I watched a lot of Gonzaga games. Say what you want about Olynyk the guy has a good offensive game. If you dont think he does you havent seen him play.

As far as tanking goes, no GM, ever, says that his team is going to try and lose.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Ainge's nose is growing....lol

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hops29. Show hops29's posts

[QUOTE]

How is this not a tank?

[/QUOTE]

I just feel that people are too afraid of being a 4 or 5 seed team.  It isn't a good place if you are an aging team.  But, if you add a Millsap, Big Al, Aldridge, or J.Smith to Rondo, Green, Sully, and Bradley then IMO you have the building block for a very good, very entertaining team that has a 5 year window.   With that type of team you may actually be able to draw some halfway decent Free Agents in '15 and '16. That team has a much better chance of evolving into a championship contender in the next 3 years than a tanking team starting from scratch does.

I was also surprised that DA didn't pursue harder trying to get the player exception for PP and then force KG to make a decision.  I have a very hard time believing he would just retire.  Maybe he stays if he knows that DA and ownership are still trying to win, maybe he opens up the places he is willing to be traded. Either way I think you get more for PP and KG if you trade them seperately.

However these are all subject to personal feelings, this is my opinion.  And maybe this was Danny's plan but the opportunities were never avail.  I can even see the value in trying to build through the draft, but at least put something on the court we can enjoy watching!  

Which brings me to my biggest disappointment so far this off season.  The drafting of Kelly Olynyk.  Obviously I am not enamored with this guy as said in my earlier post.  I know he is a skilled offensive player.  But the Celtics bigs seriously lack in three areas: rebounding, rim protection, and pick and roll D. Especially now that KG is gone.  So they trade to move up for a guy who's biggest weakness' are: rebounding, rim protection, and pick and roll D.  

He does what he does very well, I just personally don't get excited about watching jump shooting seven footers who can't rebound or jump.  They passed up a bruising high speed athletic shot blocker in Plumlee, and a potential future defensive force in Dieng.

I can still be a Celtic fan and not agree with everything my team does.  

You asked.

Sections
Shortcuts