Ainge was right, when he preferred Rondo to Roy or Foye

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notrade. Show notrade's posts

Ainge was right, when he preferred Rondo to Roy or Foye

Why are there still people on this board complaining about Rondo?     Roy's knees have given out,and Foye has been a bust.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Re: Ainge was right, when he preferred Rondo to Roy or Foye

In Response to Ainge was right, when he preferred Rondo to Roy or Foye:
    Why are there still people on this board complaining about Rondo?     Roy's knees have given out,and Foye has been a bust.
    Posted by notrade

Great thread, NT!

You've TOTALLY answered the question that no one had thought to ask.

You are way ahead of the curve!

Pud

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

I'm not complaining about Rondo. I like Rondo.
    Unfortunately, I can't tell if Rondo is better player without the HOFer.

I believed what Dudder said, give Rondo a skilled teammates and he will deliver.
    Beyond that, he thinks Rondo will be exposed.

Yep, Rondo needs Roy (vice-versa) - I like both.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from gtown07. Show gtown07's posts

In Response to Re: Ainge was right, when he preferred Rondo to Roy or Foye:
    I'm not complaining about Rondo. I like Rondo. Unfortunately, I can't tell if Rondo is better player without the HOFer. I believed what Dudder said, give Rondo a skilled teammates and he will deliver. Beyond that, he thinks Rondo will be exposed. Yep, Rondo needs Roy - I like both.
    Posted by CHEisCHE

Che...you should stay out of it. Dudder is completely wrong on that point. The reason the C's are shooting 50% as a team and the reason Ray Allen and Pierce are shooting their career high percentages from the field is because of Rondo. Rondo is making them and the team this year...they are not making Rondo.

Rondo would make every single team in the NBA better than it is right now. If he was in LA  Kobe would become a better player. If he was in Miami they would be the favorites to win it all and not Boston.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

gtown, thats precisely right.  the celtics are not the best shooting team in the NBA by accident

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In Response to Re: Ainge was right, when he preferred Rondo to Roy or Foye : Che...you should stay out of it. Dudder is completely wrong on that point. The reason the C's are shooting 50% as a team and the reason Ray Allen and Pierce are shooting their career high percentages from the field is because of Rondo. Rondo is making them and the team this year...they are not making Rondo. Rondo would make every single team in the NBA better than it is right now. If he was in LA  Kobe would become a better player. If he was in Miami they would be the favorites to win it all and not Boston.
    Posted by gtown07

Gtown I have to disagree on part of that.  Paul and Ray were doing this and very successful while Rondo was in high school.  I think they have as much to do with Rondo's success as he does theirs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

rondo is recognizing and executing plays that rose, williams and even cp3 don't know exist. that is not the doing of pierce and ray. that is rondo. at advancing ages of 33 and 35, pierce and ray are shooting at considerably higher percentages this year than they ever have. that is rondo.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

I would love to see Rondo play with a team like the Raptors and their point say play with the talented Celtics.  Rondo is all pro agiainst most teams, but when Wade or Koby guards him and they play center field guarding everybody with their middle zone , the game is influenced in their favor.  True the Celtics have the talent to overcome this double team with rondo's man , but the other coaches love it, and they would be glad to see rondo shoot the ball late in the game (other than crip shots) OR rondo shooting foul shots late in the game, yes he might make them but the odds shift in their favor.  All said, Rondo with his quickness and speed when he uses it, plus his penetration and his great passing make for a unique player.  Other point guards have their negative points, the only thing that gets under my skin is the praise heaped on Rondo and never do they point out his negative effect on the team.  I was wrong about Nate, I thought he could quarterback this team, he can not, hurry back West, we need you on both units at times.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

rondo is recognizing and executing plays that rose, williams and even cp3 don't know exist. that is not the doing of pierce and ray. that is rondo. at advancing ages of 33 and 35, pierce and ray are shooting at considerably higher percentages this year than they ever have. that is rondo.
    Posted by BaileyPowe

Good one. I agree.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Posted by BaileyPowe

Truth

If Che wants to quote DUDDER the racist and sad fool despised by 99% of this forum, well his already rapidly deterioating reputation on this board will fall apart even faster

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Of course it is only fair to mention that had Ainge kept pick #6 he's have drafted Rudy Gay... everyone should know this

He felt 6 was too hight for rondo, but 21-22 or whever he fell was too low. He put Rondo's value in the teens. Phoenix, absolutely idiotic to pass on Rondo, gave us the later 1st rd pick for a future pick (the one we got from the Cavs for Juri Welsch) b/c they were trying to save money.

The only reason he traded that pick was to get out from 1 year and about 13 million owed Raef LaFrentz and set the stage for the KG trade (or any trade to add a superstra to Paul). McHale has said that if it was 2 years and 27 million in Raef coming to him over 1 year and 14 of Theo Ratcliff he would not have traded KG to Boston.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Passing on Foye/Roy had very little to do with thinking he could get Rondo later on, although Rajon WAS one of the top 5 players Ainge would have wanted to land in the draft, along with Bargnani, Aldridge and Adam Morrison (who all went before Celts picked) and Rudy Gay, who he would have picked over Rondo.

He didn't trust Roy's knees from the start and was never that big into him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Rondo can only be judged by what he has to play with.  He has shown remarkable passing ability way beyond what anyone else in basketball could do.  If Rose was on the Celtics he would not be passing as well.  He would stick out as a super offensive scoring talent and decent passer at best.

The Celtics would not be better with Rose instead of Rondo not even close.  The idea is  the Celtics team has evolved and Rondo has only made it better.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Posted by BaileyPowe

I didn't say that Rondo didn't have anything to do with it.  To think he is the only reason is pure fantasy land.  Comments like this makes me understand more what Dudder is talking about.  To put him above the players you listed is ridiculous.  All those players would be good here too, and Ray and Paul would still get open shots.  I like Rondo as much as the next guy but lets not get carried away here.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Posted by BaileyPowe

And if I could trade Rondo for CP3 or Williams I would do it in a heartbeat.  And thats not a knock on Rondo either.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Rondo can only be judged by what he has to play with.  He has shown remarkable passing ability way beyond what anyone else in basketball could do.  If Rose was on the Celtics he would not be passing as well.  He would stick out as a super offensive scoring talent and decent passer at best. The Celtics would not be better with Rose instead of Rondo not even close.  The idea is  the Celtics team has evolved and Rondo has only made it better.
    Posted by concord27

Rose and Rondo strike me as equally confident young men who are headstrong and want things their own way but slowly matured and found their niche beautifully.

Rose perhaps more in a "I'm God's gift to the game since age 14" kinda way, who know has become the Bulls leader and Rondo in an eccentric OCD "nobody ever wanted me to be me" kinda way, who still can't shoot (get on that!) but who paints masterpieces from the PG position.

BUT

While both would have had similar clashes with Doc and the vets their first few years on the team we all know who would have been and be better for this team in the end. Rondo.

He bugs people but he brings a 12-12 every night. Rose would be taking shots that Pierce and Ray deserved more and getting a 17-8 on the Celtics, while being miserable having to conform his game to the style Doc and three guys in their 30's want to play... over Rondo... who is a FAR superior passer and does whatever he wants with the ball while getting 3 guys aged 33-35 to all shoot 50% from the floor

Not even a comparison in my mind. Neither could do what the other could do on the others team. Let Rose be AI over in Chicago, we know who the superior basketball team is.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: Ainge was right, when he preferred Rondo to Roy or Foye : And if I could trade Rondo for CP3 or Williams I would do it in a heartbeat.  And thats not a knock on Rondo either.
    Posted by OneOnOne

Deron Willaims... yes

Chris Paul or D Rose...  no

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

If you are starting a team RIGHT NOEW from scratch there are 5-6 PG's I'd take over Rondo

If you want to win a title with the Boston Celtics in the next 2 years, there is only ONE PG I would trade Rondo for and that is Williams

The others would all shoot too much, get in the way of our system and are not nealry the combo of passer-defender

Williams is the only one who matches up

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

If you are starting a team RIGHT NOEW from scratch there are 5-6 PG's I'd take over Rondo If you want to win a title with the Boston Celtics in the next 2 years, there is only ONE PG I would trade Rondo for and that is Williams The others would all shoot too much, get in the way of our system and are not nealry the combo of passer-defender Williams is the only one who matches up
    Posted by rameakap

first off I never said anything about Rose.  I wouldn't want him either. Paul shoots the ball 11 times a game (Williams 13), hits 45% of his threes and has far and away the best assist to TO ratio, and 85% of his free throws while dishing out 9.7 assists per game. Paul by the way beats Williams in every category except FG% and it is very close there. Williams also shoots MORE than Paul.   Williams is probably more physical and could wear you down.  I would take either of the guys on my team.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

In Response to Re: Ainge was right, when he preferred Rondo to Roy or Foye : And if I could trade Rondo for CP3 or Williams I would do it in a heartbeat.  And thats not a knock on Rondo either.
    Posted by OneOnOne

i respect that, oneOnOne. we'll see what happens going forward. when you make that trade, keep in mind that paul has considerable bone on bone in his left knee and that both those guys - in their longer careers - have very limited playoff knowledge when compared to rondo. never mind playoff success. i'll try to remember rondo needs a better shot.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: Ainge was right, when he preferred Rondo to Roy or Foye : first off I never said anything about Rose.  I wouldn't want him either. Paul shoots the ball 11 times a game (Williams 13), hits 45% of his threes and has far and away the best assist to TO ratio, and 85% of his free throws while dishing out 9.7 assists per game. Paul by the way beats Williams in every category except FG% and it is very close there. Williams also shoots MORE than Paul.   Williams is probably more physical and could wear you down.  I would take either of the guys on my team.
    Posted by OneOnOne

Well you are entitled to your opinion. I clearly prefer Williams.

CP3 is shorter than Rondo, smaller wingspan and much greater injury history

Williams is taller, stronger and has never been seriously hurt

Williams took 13.5-14.5 shots per game 07-10.

Paul took 16.1 shots per game in 08 and 09 and his career 3 point shooting is worse.

I don't want a 6' PG who relies on speed and has been injured coming down the court and jacking 3's on a team with Ray and Pierce. Someone whose defense is entirely speed related (even Rondo has the wingspan and more muscle than Paul).

I want a game manager who makes a diff on D. Williams slightly better overall FG% is b/c he is more reliable to body up his man and get that layup or soot over a smaller PG from 20'. DWill has that Dennis Johnson/Chuancey Billups I'll be good till age 35 body/game... not that Kevin Johnson/Terrell Brandon I'll break down down eventally body/game that CP3 has.

I wouldn't trade Rondo for ANY PG... mid-season like this as we are clicking and he's yet to play his best ball....

After this season the only guy i'd trade him for for 2011-12, while we are trying to win a last title... is Williams. After 2012 as Ray/Kg retire/decline I would trade Rondo for 2-3 other PG's, just probably not Paul. Rose as long as he continues to be a far better shooter and narrow the gap as a passer and Wall if he really steps it up as a 21 year old in his 2nd season.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Rondo would make any of his teammates better, that's what a pass first PG does.  He could be playing on Memphis or Toronto and he'd have the same results.  What don't people get about his game?  He gets guys the ball in a position where they can score.  If he had to score points, he could.    

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from gtown07. Show gtown07's posts

In Response to Re: Ainge was right, when he preferred Rondo to Roy or Foye : Gtown I have to disagree on part of that.  Paul and Ray were doing this and very successful while Rondo was in high school.  I think they have as much to do with Rondo's success as he does theirs.
    Posted by OneOnOne

Ray Allen is shooting significantly better from both the field and 3 pt line this year than he ever has. I haven't looked but I would be willing to put money on it without looking that the same is true for PP. Why? Because Rondo is getting them better looks than they ever have had.

There is no question that when they knock down the shots it reflects positively on Rondo but when he continuously gets them the ball letter high when they are wide open or in the case of Pierce for two or three layups then it is Rondo who is helping them too. It is not one way or the other.

And Rondo would likely do that for every other team in the league. Can you imagine him on Miami? They would be a lot better. The Lakers would be better. Cleveland would be better.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from gtown07. Show gtown07's posts

Same for Paul Pierce. Career highs in FG% and 3 pt %. Rondo exudes team basketball.

Sections
Shortcuts