Ainge...here's the blueprint

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

Ainge...here's the blueprint

First thing is to sit PP down and tell him his options and you need an answer before the waiver deadline. Basically if he comes back to Boston he will be the 6th man at a reduced salary or you can work a draft night trade if there are takers.

This may determine what KG does. I hope KG announces it as his last season and returns.

This may prompt Doc to return one last year as well.

Hire Nate McMillan as a defensive asst coach and tell him he will be the HC next year.

Waive Crawford, White, Wilcox

Try to trade Fab Melo and 2014 #1 to move up in the draft. Target 6'11 Dieng from Louisville

Make a deal with Utah on draft night. Do a S&T of Bass and 2013 #1 pick for Big Al

Get Rondo and Sully healthy

If all goes well we open the season with the starters and bench of

TWill, AB, Green, Sully and Big Al

Terry, Lee, PP, KG, Dieng

When Rondo is healthy TWill becomes the backup. AB has to go back to his normal position. We still have Randolph on the bench. Now we've got size, defense, youth, experience and scoring.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

Re: Ainge...here's the blueprint

PP should be gone. we need a 2 and a 5 above all. if KG returns, he mentors sully at the 4.

starters:

rondo

unknown 2

green

KG/sully

unknown 5

6th man: bradley

bench players with potential: williams, crawford, lee, melo, randolph, bass

trade if possible: terry

basically, ainge has a lot of work to do.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

Sounds like a good plan, Paul and KG off the bench and Nate as head coach.  If Doc is coach they go into a shell again next year during the playoffs and we will stand little or no chance to win.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

It's not the only way forward, but BLB, that's not a bad plan and one of the more realistic too I might add...

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

Ainge has to move quick on a head coach though. It's being reported that KG may have surgery on both ankles...he's done if that's the case.

Ainge is sitting on a gold mine if he approaches it correctly.

He will have cap room. He will have a mercurial star in Rondo he could move. He has a chance to hire a good coach. Something tells me it could be Stan Van Gundy, but I would prefer McMillan.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to BirdLewsBias' comment:

Ainge has to move quick on a head coach though. It's being reported that KG may have surgery on both ankles...he's done if that's the case.

He will have cap room. He will have a mercurial star in Rondo he could move. He has a chance to hire a good coach. Something tells me it could be Stan Van Gundy, but I would prefer McMillan.

This team is not a gold mine.  We have no talent upfront.  A flawed backcourt which is undersized.  KG and Pierce going, will leave this team in the lottery for years.

Stan Van Gundy with this no talent team versus Doc sounds like misery squared.  I can't believe your optimism.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

This team is not a gold mine.  We have no talent upfront.  A flawed backcourt which is undersized.  KG and Pierce going, will leave this team in the lottery for years.

Stan Van Gundy with this no talent team versus Doc sounds like misery squared.  I can't believe your optimism.

Um, you have cap room and a elite PG, Green. Cap room in the NBA is a gold mine especially if you can attract some FAs. They want starter minutes and there is a big void there for at least 2 FAs.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

It doesn't look like anyone yet addressed this, but...

This is extremely optimistic if you think that we can get Al Jefferson signed to a 6M a year deal in that S&T. What's he currently making? Like triple that??

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

First thing is to sit PP down and tell him his options and you need an answer before the waiver deadline. Basically if he comes back to Boston he will be the 6th man at a reduced salary or you can work a draft night trade if there are takers.

Agreed. I'd say he'd have to sign for the BAE we still have. This means he'd make around 2m next year plus the buyout (7m total). Otherwise (if he refuses) just pay him the 15.3 and see what he can bring at the deadline (if we are not contending of course) when he has WAY more value than now (and KG could agree to be moved then too if PP is going).

This may determine what KG does. I hope KG announces it as his last season and returns.

He will if Pierce and Doc are back

This may prompt Doc to return one last year as well.

I don't see Doc going anywhere

Hire Nate McMillan as a defensive asst coach and tell him he will be the HC next year.

You mean only if Doc leaves? Doc's contract is up in 2016? Either way, I agree with McMillian being a fine #2 guy. Of course our defense was #7 this year and top 5 the previous 5 years... so that isn't this teams issue.

Waive Crawford, White, Wilcox

Why waive Crawford when he is a 2m a year instant offense guy. no need to play him if he remains a knucklehead. But I'd rather keep him around a 2m than have our 4th or 5th guard be like Barbosa coming back from knee surgery, or Pietrus or some other (Dooling type) veteran. Agree on White, he's not a C and Randolph, Bass and Sully are all at the 4 (for now). Wilcox is a FA. 

Try to trade Fab Melo and 2014 #1 to move up in the draft. Target 6'11 Dieng from Louisville

I'm fine with that. Someone decent will drop to us though. But if there is a quality big in the 8-12 range that is worth Melo and a pick that is hopefully in the 20's in '14. It would prob take our '13 1st to move into the top 12 (with Melo, not sure his value around the league).

Make a deal with Utah on draft night. Do a S&T of Bass and 2013 #1 pick for Big Al

I am pretty sure this type of deal can't happen until July, after the draft, but I may be wrong. With a glut of PF's on their roster Utah would have no interest in Bass (as long as they are keeping Millsap, the consensus is that they will keep one of the two, Millsap or Al, but can't afford both)

They are weaker at SG. Trade Lee, Melo and Terrence Williams (7.8 million in salary) plus our '14  and '16 picks (top 5 protected) for Big Al. His salary would start 25% higher than the 7.8m we send over. So he could sign like a 5 year 55 million contract and be traded here. If Utah wants to do a S&T and not just keep him I could see better offers than that being made.

Get Rondo and Sully healthy

HUGE. And they have to make jumps in their game. RR has to be consistent, want to play defense again, run and continue his (slow) improvement from FT/3PT... he was doing fine from mid-range. But he needs to bring it in 90% of the games, not 60% and be a 14-17ppg guy now, even if it means only 8-9 dimes, and RUN. Sully needs 24 mins a game and could be an 7p-9r guy. If the back is healed perfectly maybe he lost some weight, added some muscle, gained some hops and REALLY rocks our world?

Then I would use the mini-MLE (3m) if Pierce is here for 15.3m, or the full MLE (5m) if Pierce took the BAE on Mozgov.

In the draft I would take best available/highest upside player and assume they are overseas or in the d-league for a year

If all goes well we open the season with the starters and bench of

C - KG, Al, Mozgov

PF - Al, Sully, Green

SF - Green, Pierce

SG - Avery, Crawford, Terry

PG - Rondo, Terry

probably sign a Barbosa and/or a Pietrus to fill out the roster on vet min deals, Randolph should stick around, maybe the rookie will surprise?

TWill, AB, Green, Sully and Big Al

Terry, Lee, PP, KG, Dieng

When Rondo is healthy TWill (Terry) becomes the backup. AB has to go back to his normal position. We still have Randolph on the bench. Now we've got size, defense, youth, experience and scoring.

BOOM, that is a competitive team. too bad the Heat, Nets and Knicks will all likely be just as good and the Bulls better next year. But we'd be WAY more competitive this year. Especially if PP and KG are given a day off every 4-5 games and are kept under 24 (KG) and 28 (PP) mins a game next year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

1-rondo

2-?

3-green

4-KG/sully

5-?

IMO, we need to address the 2 and 5 more than any other position. bradley is a 6th man.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to kaktug's comment:

1-rondo

2-?

3-green

4-KG/sully

5-?

IMO, we need to address the 2 and 5 more than any other position. bradley is a 6th man.

KG is way more 5 than 4 at this point in his career. If we find/reade for a true C (like Gortat) able to play 30-34 mins a game there, then KG will have to play like 8-10 mins at PF and 14-18 mins at C, which would be great. he can't guard leBron or Melo at the end of the games. so does he sit?

Avery will improve his game, he is only 21. If he plays 10-14 mins a game of backup PG (and in a RUN RUN offense where he has other ball-handlers like Green and Pierce on the court with him he can do this successfully), then he deserves 18-22 mins at SG, his natural position, hounding other scorers and being more consistent with his corner 3 and cuts to the rim (with rondo finding him).

That means this team needs an upgrade from Lee/Terry to fill that role, a SG who is not quite at full-time starter mins. Clearly Terry had this role down the stretch but Lee was the one we felt should have emerged with it and was a bust. The team needs to trade Lee (and could move Terry as well) for a better SG. It would be great to use one of those guys to move up and get Mohammad or Oladipo for this role. A guy who can improve on Lee right out of the gates even stright from the NCAA, and then in 1-2 years replace Pierce's 20ppg. 

The only way I can see this happening is if someone actually wants Bass or Lee and would swap pick 16 to help us get into the top 10. Maybe OKC would take pick 16, Melo and Bass for Perk and pick 8? Or if they lose Kevin Martin would they want Lee? They already have Lamb. Maybe tif they prefer Oladipo or Muhammad to Lamb (I would) they would trade him and Perk for pick 16 and Bass/Terry?

That would still leave us needing that big man for either the 4 or th