Ainge's long-term plan = Love and Durant?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Ainge's long-term plan = Love and Durant?

Bill Simmons had this to say about Kevin Love:

Well, aren’t you better off keeping Rondo — one of the league’s 15 to 20 best players when healthy — and finding him an All-Star teammate? Enter Kevin Love. They did it in 2007 with Paul Pierce and they could easily do it again: by paying a premium price for a second All-Star, suddenly it becomes MUCH easier to get that third All-Star. The Celtics couldn’t have convinced KG to play with just Pierce … but Ray Allen and Paul Pierce? The rest was history.

His trade was Bass/Bogans and BOTH our 1st rd picks this year, plus a future pick for Love.

My trade would be just the 2014 pick in the 4-7 range this year, Sully, the better 2015 pick between C's/Clips and the '16 unprotected pick from the Nets.

Love signs an extension with Boston for the max (like 5/100). The Celtics keep Avery for 5/35 or match a team up 4/30. C's wait on Rondo until next summer and RR takes a 'discount' and stays here for 5 years 70 million.  They'll have Olynyk (3) one '14 pick (2) and one '15 1st rd pick (1.5)on the payroll when Durant becomes a free agent summer of '16.

The cap will keep going up as the NBA is making gobs of money. Say, 68 million cap that summer. 46 million in salaries committed to Love (28), Rondo (30), Avery (26), Olynyk (24), and 3 young guys under 23 ('16 1st rd pick as well). Durant would have to pull a Howard and want to be on the Celtics 4 years 88 million over staying with the Thunder for 5 years 130 million.

I think that is Ainge's plan. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: Ainge's long-term plan = Love and Durant?

LeBron is also a free agent summer of 2016 when he will be just 31 years old, the age KG was when Ainge brought him in.

Hibbert is a free agent as well (he'd be turning 30 the '15-'16 season).

If they play through their qualifying offers Anthony Davis, Andre Drummond and Damian Lillard will all be free agents that summer. Dump Avery's reasonable 3/22 remaining on someone with cap space to go up 29m under and sign Davis and Lillard to matching 4/60 deals.

Rondo-Lillard-Love-Davis as a core four? Olynyk 6th man at both PF/C and then four draft picks (Nets '14, C's/Clips '15, C's '16 and Philly's high 2nd '16) plus the MLE round out the rotation.

C's can swap picks with the Nets in '17 who are likely to be terrible by then and have the Nets unprotected pick in 2018 to add to that beast of a lineup. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

Love would just resign and extend without a second thought after we pretty much give up the farm for him? Oh, but we can convince him that it will get better since Durant is coming?  Other teams will have no say and better package or situation to offer to any of these players?  At this point, Rondo could be in his mind ready to bolt when his time comes with all the negativity against him.  I guess it is possible, easier said than done but doesn't hurt to try and see if they bite.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

Incredible wishful thinking.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fbombfury. Show fbombfury's posts

Rofl2

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to Number6Fan's comment:

Incredible wishful thinking.

Yeah...I think someone's been to Denver recently... :)

And to be honest, Simmons is a great guy, a knop

wledgable guy with contacts, but he's also a Celtics fan, a huge one...so take it with a few very large grains of sand

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to scubber's comment:

Love would just resign and extend without a second thought after we pretty much give up the farm for him? Oh, but we can convince him that it will get better since Durant is coming?  Other teams will have no say and better package or situation to offer to any of these players?  At this point, Rondo could be in his mind ready to bolt when his time comes with all the negativity against him.  I guess it is possible, easier said than done but doesn't hurt to try and see if they bite.

Obviously you don't know much about the state of the league and where Love would agree to go as there are only a handful of locations (Boston one of them) that he'd sign long-term and and none of the other teams can offer what we can.

Love wouldn't just be sold on Durant coming, he'd have a playoff team around him as early as next year, somthing he never had in Minny. The C's would still have enough draft picks and cap space to build a title contender around Rondo and Love if Durant stayed in OKC.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

Obviously you don't know much about the state of the league and where Love would agree to go as there are only a handful of locations (Boston one of them) that he'd sign long-term and and none of the other teams can offer what we can.

Love wouldn't just be sold on Durant coming, he'd have a playoff team around him as early as next year, somthing he never had in Minny. The C's would still have enough draft picks and cap space to build a title contender around Rondo and Love if Durant stayed in OKC.

Oh, I am sorry, I thought we are just speculating here and obviously I don't know and am talking to someone who knows.  That settles it then, Love and Durant are coming.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Oh, I am sorry, I thought we are just speculating here and obviously I don't know and am talking to someone who knows.  That settles it then, Love and Durant are coming.

Speculating on if they come? Duh, obviously that is speculation.

Speculating on if he would resign b/c C's 'gave up the farm'? That's dumb. Not only would we still have multiple assets, cap space and young players... the C's would get a 72 hour window like they did with KG to make sure Love signs his extension before the trade goes through.

It would be a few days before the draft, not on draft night.

Ainge wouldn't give up Big Al, Gomes, Green and two LOW picks for KG without an extension he won't give up Sully, a top 10 pick and 2 more picks for Love without one either.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

No need to be so rude.  I am just raising the point that it is going to be difficult to convince him to resign/extend, doesn't matter before or after the actual trade.  What ever we have does not diminish the fact that we would be one of the worst team in the league this year.  Rondo and picks do not excite anyone except us Celtics homers.  Dumb?  What ever but why pick on my little point, look at what all the posters think of your somewhat optimistic idea.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

No need to be so rude.  I am just raising the point that it is going to be difficult to convince him to resign/extend, doesn't matter before or after the actual trade.  What ever we have does not diminish the fact that we would be one of the worst team in the league this year.  Rondo and picks do not excite anyone except us Celtics homers.  Dumb?  What ever but why pick on my little point, look at what all the posters think of your somewhat optimistic idea.

If the Celtics trade for him.... and he doesn't want to sign an extension... then he doesn't come to Boston. The trade is null and void and we have Sully a top 10 pick and keep our treasure chest of picks for the future. It is that simple.

Being rude is your initial response, dripping in sarcasm and acting like we're trading the farm for a rental player, which would never happen.

Plus there would be plenty of the farm leftover if we made the trade and Love signed an extension. Avery, Olynyk, a 2015 first, a 2016 first, the chances two swap with the Nets in '17, our own pick and the Nets in 2018, etc.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

If the Celtics trade for him.... and he doesn't want to sign an extension... then he doesn't come to Boston. The trade is null and void and we have Sully a top 10 pick and keep our treasure chest of picks for the future. It is that simple.

Being rude is your initial response, dripping in sarcasm and acting like we're trading the farm for a rental player, which would never happen.

Plus there would be plenty of the farm leftover if we made the trade and Love signed an extension. Avery, Olynyk, a 2015 first, a 2016 first, the chances two swap with the Nets in '17, our own pick and the Nets in 2018, etc.

My point exactly.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

My point exactly.

No, your point was that we'd trade the farm for him and then watch him walk for nothing b/c he didn't believe in Ainge's plan.

If somebody said in 2006 that Ainge's plan was to trade for Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett in 2007, everybody would have said you were crazy and the team should be strongly considering trading Pierce and building around Rondo, Big Al, Perk, TA and a couple lottery picks and cap space.

This is not a prediction. It is what people like myself and Bill Simmons see as Danny Ainge's long-term plan that has a small % of happening.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

Now you are putting words in my mouth.  Anything is possible, I even said that, but it is very unlikely.  You realized at least that, right?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

In response to Fiercy's comment:

Careful, scubber, if you've heard of the saying "killing me softly", rame will kill you with short stories.

HAHAHA

I think he is picking a fight just to kill time.  Let's try to pick a little subtext and twist it around so we can attack each other.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Now you are putting words in my mouth.  Anything is possible, I even said that, but it is very unlikely.  You realized at least that, right?

Of course it is very unlikely, I was just saying what Danny's lomg-term plan is likely to be. His 'best case' goal.

What is not unlikely is Love coming here as a one year rental. The extension will be in place if the trade is agreed upon or he won't come.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

hmmmm...unless Rame is Bill Simmons. I think you guys are arguing with the wrong guy here.

is LOVE coming ot the Celtics for sure...well no.

cam the Celtics but an offer out there that can trump most others teams....well YEAH.

just depends on what Ainge thinks of the 25 YO 6-8 power forward.

Myself.....I would offer Sully, Bogans (non guaranteed) 5-7 pick this this year, Clips next year AND a future first rounder for him. even with his height disability.

we all know Ainge will NOT keep all 10 of the frist rounders he has in the next 5 years.

IF Ainge gets Love though, IMO it is to pair with Rondo as the two Star players.

Puts Green back  to his bext role as Third banana.

only need to find a defensive center some where...whats Russell doing now, he's only 80!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

In response to kdp59's comment:

hmmmm...unless Rame is Bill Simmons. I think you guys are arguing with the wrong guy here.

is LOVE coming ot the Celtics for sure...well no.

cam the Celtics but an offer out there that can trump most others teams....well YEAH.

just depends on what Ainge thinks of the 25 YO 6-8 power forward.

Myself.....I would offer Sully, Bogans (non guaranteed) 5-7 pick this this year, Clips next year AND a future first rounder for him. even with his height disability.

we all know Ainge will NOT keep all 10 of the frist rounders he has in the next 5 years.

IF Ainge gets Love though, IMO it is to pair with Rondo as the two Star players.

Puts Green back  to his bext role as Third banana.

only need to find a defensive center some where...whats Russell doing now, he's only 80!

IMO, what we have to offer as a package matters very little.  Where Love wants to go trumps just about everything just like when we got KG.  We will have Rondo (maybe) and a bunch of picks this summer but we will still be basically a bottom dweller in the league, does that float Love boat?  We won't have anything equivalent or closed to Paul Pierce and Ray Allen on the team.  So yeah, I have a problem with Simmons logic here.

Two three years later after we draft a few decent players, then we might be able to make such move.  It took Ainge 5 years to be able to do that deal with KG if we kind of forget what actually happened.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

This can work, but the thing is - Ainge certainly has to have more than one plan. Because he hasn't signed Rondo. 

This plan doesn't work if Rondo signs a max contract, he's not a max contract player. If he signs a hometown discount, and Ainge can get Rondo fairly affordably, then the rest falls into place. 

But I don't think Ainge will risk losing Rondo for nothing so I would expect a Rondo trade this summer if he can't easily sign him.

Sections
Shortcuts