All of a sudden the Knicks are a contender

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

All of a sudden the Knicks are a contender

Thought this thread was appropriate because we're goner lots of hype heading into Wednesdays game against NY. Heard same garbage leading up to the HEat game.... we beat them down twice but now the Heat go on an 8 game streak and all of a sudden they are rated above the Celtics...

Knicks on an 8 game streak too... Wednesday will be billed as another showdown. Anyone think the Knicks are for real? I think they will play over .500 ball all season but not be a threat to the elites.  Their best streak in years and they havent even picked up a game in the standings on Boston.

Now Melo is trying to get to NY this season... if he does it depends what the Knicks give up for him. Either way they theyre gonna lose something impoirtant to their team. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Re: All of a sudden the Knicks are a contender

go ahead and add a mental goober like 'melo to the knicks and they still are not a contender.  they are a sure lock to be gone out of the first round of the playoffs, maybe a stretch to get into round 2 in the east, that's it.  and for huge money at that.

i mean look at melo.  he's delusional.  he's being offerd 20 or 22m a year in a time when a lockout and 1/3 proposed, 1/4 actual probable paycuts being bandied about.  and he's turning down the 20m a year.  next year, if there is one, he stands to be a 15m playa.  dope!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Don't let the knicks recent success fool you.  They beat:  Sacramento, Golden State, Clippers, Charlotte, Charlotte, Detroit, New Jersey, New Orleans, Toronto, Minnesota, Toronto, Washington, and Denver (and they lost in that stretch to Atlanta).  Impressive??

Next they play:  Boston, Miami, Cleveland, OKC, Chicago, Miami, Orlando, Indiana, San Antonio, Phoenix, Lakers, Portland, and Utah.   

Let's see what their record is after the next 13 games.  THEN, and only then, can we see if they are for real.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In Response to Re: All of a sudden the Knicks are a contender:
    [QUOTE]What happened to all the Bill Walker fans by the way? And what about Giddens?  He must be ripping it up in Poland. Last year this board was full of them and everyone was saying Nate was horrible. Now this year a lot of people are saying Nate should start over Rondo and no one mentions Walker at all.  Hilarious.
    Posted by Icon11[/QUOTE]

It is funny isn't it.  A lot of them were the same posters too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: All of a sudden the Knicks are a contender : It is funny isn't it.  A lot of them were the same posters too.
    Posted by OneOnOne[/QUOTE]

Don't forget that some of them even said that Bill Walker is the next Joe Johnson.

HAHAHA!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: All of a sudden the Knicks are a contender : Don't forget that some of them even said that Bill Walker is the next Joe Johnson. HAHAHA!!!
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

It sure is funny how they have changed on Nate.  Went from not wanting him to he should be starting in front of RR.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Lots of talented players have passed through the Knicks in the past several years. Crawford, Randolph, Nate et al  like a revolving door. I was one that was very happy getting Nate for House, although I took a lot of garbage for it.

Nate is so talented its scary, just needs to get his head on straight and thats not an automatic. When he really settles in to what Doc wants, hes gonna be even better than what he is now. Hoping DWest returns to form in Jan... which could help Nate tons. Nate is such an offensive threat and his defense is solid...fights thru picks & hustles back when he cant. The Knicks basically got nothing in return for Nate, they just couldnt control him.

The Knick game is gonna be a hot ticket. The key for us is to be good on rotations to the weakside 3 pt shooters. The Knicks take lots of them and if uncontested, could give us lots of trouble. Thats usually our achilles heel anyway.. when we're tired.

We got a nice rest and a short trip to NY... final score Celtics 106 Knicks 95

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

Last year this board was full of them and everyone was saying Nate was horrible. Now this year a lot of people are saying Nate should start over Rondo and no one mentions Walker at all.  Hilarious.

Yep, I'm one of them. Seriously Nate sometimes out of hand. Everytime the ball in his hand, I cringed. He is unpredictable, he will do something not too popular. He got lucky once in a while and hits the 3 but most of the time he's alone in the paint and will pull the stupid trigger. Self destruct sometimes.

Rondo starts....not Nate.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]Last year this board was full of them and everyone was saying Nate was horrible. Now this year a lot of people are saying Nate should start over Rondo and no one mentions Walker at all.  Hilarious. Yep, I'm one of them. Seriously Nate sometimes out of hand. Everytime the ball in his hand, I cringed. He is unpredictable, he will do something not too popular. He got lucky once in a while and hits the 3 but most of the time he's alone in the paint and will pull the stupid trigger. Self destruct sometimes. Rondo starts....not Nate.
    Posted by CHEisCHE[/QUOTE]

I am not sure what your talking about.  Robinson is a good shooter so I don't think its luck that he makes some.  What are you talking about he alone in the paint and pulls the trigger?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: All of a sudden the Knicks are a contender : I am not sure what your talking about.  Robinson is a good shooter so I don't think its luck that he makes some.  What are you talking about he alone in the paint and pulls the trigger?
    Posted by OneOnOne[/QUOTE]

Maybe he's talking about Delonte. As we all know Delonte can potentially pull 3 triggers. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptChris. Show CaptChris's posts

Playiing at their place, we could get out-scored.  Especially if Paul Pierce doesn't show up again.  He has ben out to lunch for the last 2 games.

We have to stay out of foul trouble, and shoot a high percentage.  We get in early foul trouble, we are in big trouble.

Play good "D", and move the ball.  Get easy shots against this club.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

Amare getting < 30 or 30 >, C's will win either way.
    Under 30 C's will win /> 10.  Over thirty. < 10.
    This is assuming Shaq is in the lineup.
    Having Shaq playing 20 effective minutes makes a big difference for this team.
    Playing on the Celtics makes a big difference for Shaq too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

" What are you talking about he alone in the paint and pulls the trigger? "

How many times I saw Nate by himself in the paint (no Celtics around) and
      he will shoot the 3's?  He does this many times when he was with Knicks.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

i think the popular conception of the "paint" is the lane that is usually painted a solid color compared to the wood finish on the rest of the floor.  so it's impossible for nate to be alone in the paint and shoot a 3 at teh same time.  not even someone with manute bol's legs could do it.

but he does have a tendency to shoot fast break 3's.  doc has SAID that he gives nate a green light.  in my mind, i cringe when i see fast break 3's but it's a somewhat accepted part of the game.  i'm sure if nate was still not a green light, he'd be pulled for doing such things.

but open shots are maybe what nate needs to get going.  when he's wide open he's deadly a lot of the time.  i'm talking the new nate, not the old one.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

[QUOTE]i think the popular conception of the "paint" is the lane that is usually painted a solid color compared to the wood finish on the rest of the floor.  so it's impossible for nate to be alone in the paint and shoot a 3 at teh same time.  not even someone with manute bol's legs could do it. but he does have a tendency to shoot fast break 3's.  doc has SAID that he gives nate a green light.  in my mind, i cringe when i see fast break 3's but it's a somewhat accepted part of the game.  i'm sure if nate was still not a green light, he'd be pulled for doing such things. but open shots are maybe what nate needs to get going.  when he's wide open he's deadly a lot of the time.  i'm talking the new nate, not the old one.
    Posted by aciemvp[/QUOTE]
    Good point, aciemvp.  I've been wondering about that fastbreak 3 with no one positioned near the basket.  As I've seen Nate do that a few times, I guess he does have a green light.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]No the Knicks are not contenders but they are a team on the rise.  They are still missing a reliable 5 and a reliable BU 5.  They run, shoot and play no defense. They are the new Phoenix Suns. They will probably get Melo.  They will defibnitely make them very conmpetitive but they cannot compete against the big teams like Boston. Wed the Celtics will pound them inside. dboss
    Posted by dboss[/QUOTE]

It was a 4 point win last time they played and the Knicks have both only gotten better.

The Cs don't pound anyone inside - they are a jump shooting team.  They get lots of alley oops and lay ups from penetration but the idea that the Cs pound anyone inside is silly.  They have no inside presence at all.

They have a powerforward that is a 2 guard playing in a 7 foot 220 pound frame, they have a center that cannot shoot (Shaq, Perk, J O' - you name it).

They may have great points in the paint stats but it is hardly because they POUND anyone inside.

When all is said and done - yes, this is Phoenix east - it starts with the coach and you just add Amare.... add Nash and 'melo... then we are talking about contenders.  Neither of those things will happen.

The Cs are the deepest team in the league and should easily handle the Knicks.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]Lots of talented players have passed through the Knicks in the past several years. Crawford, Randolph, Nate et al  like a revolving door. I was one that was very happy getting Nate for House, although I took a lot of garbage for it. Nate is so talented its scary, just needs to get his head on straight and thats not an automatic. When he really settles in to what Doc wants, hes gonna be even better than what he is now. Hoping DWest returns to form in Jan... which could help Nate tons. Nate is such an offensive threat and his defense is solid...fights thru picks & hustles back when he cant. The Knicks basically got nothing in return for Nate, they just couldnt control him. The Knick game is gonna be a hot ticket. The key for us is to be good on rotations to the weakside 3 pt shooters. The Knicks take lots of them and if uncontested, could give us lots of trouble. Thats usually our achilles heel anyway.. when we're tired. We got a nice rest and a short trip to NY... final score Celtics 106 Knicks 95
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

You touched on something that of course no Celtics fan could possibly consider or event attempt to address.....

The Knicks cleared as much salary cap as possible with the assumption that they would have LeBron and prob several other big names....

given this....

they got what many considered a second tier free agent, i.e. Amare. 

What they have instead is a bunch of young players that can shoot..... Felton, Gallinari, Fields, Chandler, and Amare.....  (boy what would the Cs do with a point guard that could shoot 46% from the field, 90% from the line, and 38% from 3.....  of course Rondo shoots 53% from the field - 90% from within 2 feet and 10% outside of two feet)...

Ultimately you are right, the Cs will win pretty easily (assuming Shaq plays) and the Knicks will immediately have to reassess their situation and determine that they are indeed pretenders until they add........ Nash and 'melo...... and if somehow they could add Hibbert (and they can't) they would actually be a contender.......

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

NYK has nothing Denver wants.  I say Melo stays where he is for now, they lock them out, and he ends up leaving oodles on the FA table.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PierceIsTheTruth. Show PierceIsTheTruth's posts

sometimes its not about the money. its about being home. melo has already made enough money to be set for the rest of his life and his kids lives.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

I think if the Celtics take the Knicks seriously they'll win handily.

The only problem is that the Celtics are missing a lot of people to injuries.  Fully staffed, the Knicks would be no match for them.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: All of a sudden the Knicks are a contender : It was a 4 point win last time they played and the Knicks have both only gotten better. The Cs don't pound anyone inside - they are a jump shooting team.  They get lots of alley oops and lay ups from penetration but the idea that the Cs pound anyone inside is silly.  They have no inside presence at all. They have a powerforward that is a 2 guard playing in a 7 foot 220 pound frame, they have a center that cannot shoot (Shaq, Perk, J O' - you name it).   They may have great points in the paint stats but it is hardly because they POUND anyone inside. When all is said and done - yes, this is Phoenix east - it starts with the coach and you just add Amare.... add Nash and 'melo... then we are talking about contenders.  Neither of those things will happen. The Cs are the deepest team in the league and should easily handle the Knicks.
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]

A jumpshooting team that leads the league in FG%.  Wow they must be a good jump shooting team.  What would be the reason they get so many alley oops for easy baskets?  Couldn't a a PG that can't shoot could it?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: All of a sudden the Knicks are a contender : You touched on something that of course no Celtics fan could possibly consider or event attempt to address..... The Knicks cleared as much salary cap as possible with the assumption that they would have LeBron and prob several other big names.... given this.... they got what many considered a second tier free agent, i.e. Amare.  What they have instead is a bunch of young players that can shoot..... Felton, Gallinari, Fields, Chandler, and Amare.....  (boy what would the Cs do with a point guard that could shoot 46% from the field, 90% from the line, and 38% from 3.....  of course Rondo shoots 53% from the field - 90% from within 2 feet and 10% outside of two feet)... Ultimately you are right, the Cs will win pretty easily (assuming Shaq plays) and the Knicks will immediately have to reassess their situation and determine that they are indeed pretenders until they add........ Nash and 'melo...... and if somehow they could add Hibbert (and they can't) they would actually be a contender.......

Hardley a second tier free agent.  The only reason he wasn't pursued heavily is because of the injury worries.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: All of a sudden the Knicks are a contender : It was a 4 point win last time they played and the Knicks have both only gotten better. The Cs don't pound anyone inside - they are a jump shooting team.  They get lots of alley oops and lay ups from penetration but the idea that the Cs pound anyone inside is silly.  They have no inside presence at all. They have a powerforward that is a 2 guard playing in a 7 foot 220 pound frame, they have a center that cannot shoot (Shaq, Perk, J O' - you name it).   They may have great points in the paint stats but it is hardly because they POUND anyone inside. When all is said and done - yes, this is Phoenix east - it starts with the coach and you just add Amare.... add Nash and 'melo... then we are talking about contenders.  Neither of those things will happen. The Cs are the deepest team in the league and should easily handle the Knicks.

Id have to disagree about the C's not pounding inside. Its true their bread & butter is good looks off of ball movement & Rondo penetration and assists..

However, Shaq is very much an inside presence. He posts up quite often and scores & draws fouls like no other Celtic down low. Shaqs presence on the inside opens up the Celtic offense plenty as well. He has to be double teamed or fouled or he just backs in to the rim.

Also BBD has an inside game. His comes more off the drive and not so much posting up. Occassionally KG can be a force in his post game but granted... its a rarity he goes that route

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

I think it's premature to consider the Knicks as contenders considering the quality of the opposition they have beaten. They are definitely better than last year's squad, but they'll have to convincingly beat the A-list teams like the Celtics in order to be taken seriously.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawk11. Show hawk11's posts

I love all this ""are the Knicks goint to challenge the Celtics talk."  You don't think the Celtics hear this?  Celtics are rested and have something to prove.  Expect a big effort, especially defeinsielvy, tongiht and an easy victory for the Celtics.

Sections
Shortcuts