all the Rondo haters...chew on this...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bird-to-DJ. Show Bird-to-DJ's posts

Re: all the Rondo haters...chew on this...

I am not going to take up space by quoting comments above, but the anti-Rondo crusade is just unbelievable at times...  People are actually highlighting how many lay-ups he missed as yet another example of how he can't shoot and how it somehow undermines a 17pt, 20ast, 17 reb performance from a PG. Please re-read that stat line.  Rondo shoots over 50% from the floor and (admittedly) isn't particularly great outside of 18' meaning he normally makes the vast majority of the shots (i.e., in the lane lay-ups, floater, etc.) that didn't go down today.  If he has a "normal" day shooting his stat line prob reads 24-25pts; and then they would find some other stat to nit pick about.  I am not a don't trade Rondo person - I am, however, a only trade Rondo for major pieces because you will not come close to replacing what he can do from the current roster...  BTW who did start the Avery Bradley will be better than RR thread...???  I like AB but would bet most anything he NEVER has a stat line approcahing today or most any of Rondo's multiple triple doubles.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In Response to Re: all the Rondo haters...chew on this...:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: all the Rondo haters...chew on this... : I appreciate him.................but I want consistency.  He has no choice now but to be the leader.  I want to see him lead!!!  Like he did today.....not today' numbers, but today's overall game.  We've seen he can do it - just not on a regular enough basis for me.  But, you see how good we can be when he's all in!!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11[/QUOTE]

fair enough, but that was more aimed towards the people who are relentless in wanting rondo traded......more consistency would be nice, but you could say that about most nba players....but as magic said, the celtics would be incredibly stupid to trade rondo.....he is the future

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: all the Rondo haters...chew on this... : I appreciate him.................but I want consistency.  He has no choice now but to be the leader.  I want to see him lead!!!  Like he did today.....not today' numbers, but today's overall game.  We've seen he can do it - just not on a regular enough basis for me.  But, you see how good we can be when he's all in!!

i understand exactly what you mean. id like the same thing. we dont need him expending the kind of energy he did every night (noone can survive a season doing that) but a decent game, keeping everyone involved, double double every night. 

BUT, you realize, if he can do that, he will be THE BEST point guard in the NBA.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

I like Rondo, he's amazing and spectacular at times but yet can frustrate too at times.

It was said this was Rondo's 4th Triple Double this year and I believe I heard only one other player has 1. I do not want to seem like an ingrate---he is truly a gifted athlete and it's a delight to watch his athletic skills but if PP does not make the 3 to send us into overtime, how would we feel. Many would blame Pietrus poor shooting but also, irrespective of Rondo's fantastic play I guess you could call it "quid pro quo", (you get something but give something) yet he missed I don't know how many but it seemed like at least 5-8 drive to the basket balls off the glass & a couple of short jumpers too.  OK, am I getting greedy with all else he did to say if he had made those, he would have had an "Avatar" performance  & we would have won by 10+ in reg time. With all of my comments, I'd still like not to trade him but if we want to be a championship team, in addition to KG, we still need a Big Man, a Banger, like Wilcox but 1-2 inches taller, who can put in rebounds too. But I still say Rondo "HOORAH" !!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

[QUOTE]I am not going to take up space by quoting comments above, but the anti-Rondo crusade is just unbelievable at times...  People are actually highlighting how many lay-ups he missed as yet another example of how he can't shoot and how it somehow undermines a 17pt, 20ast, 17 reb performance from a PG. Please re-read that stat line.  Rondo shoots over 50% from the floor and (admittedly) isn't particularly great outside of 18' meaning he normally makes the vast majority of the shots (i.e., in the lane lay-ups, floater, etc.) that didn't go down today.  If he has a "normal" day shooting his stat line prob reads 24-25pts; and then they would find some other stat to nit pick about.  I am not a don't trade Rondo person - I am, however, a only trade Rondo for major pieces because you will not come close to replacing what he can do from the current roster...  BTW who did start the Avery Bradley will be better than RR thread...???  I like AB but would bet most anything he NEVER has a stat line approcahing today or most any of Rondo's multiple triple doubles.
    Posted by Bird-to-DJ[/QUOTE]

haha..it was actually a "Bradley IS better than Rondo" thread..lmao

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

[QUOTE]I am not going to take up space by quoting comments above, but the anti-Rondo crusade is just unbelievable at times...  People are actually highlighting how many lay-ups he missed as yet another example of how he can't shoot and how it somehow undermines a 17pt, 20ast, 17 reb performance from a PG. Please re-read that stat line.  Rondo shoots over 50% from the floor and (admittedly) isn't particularly great outside of 18' meaning he normally makes the vast majority of the shots (i.e., in the lane lay-ups, floater, etc.) that didn't go down today.  If he has a "normal" day shooting his stat line prob reads 24-25pts; and then they would find some other stat to nit pick about.  I am not a don't trade Rondo person - I am, however, a only trade Rondo for major pieces because you will not come close to replacing what he can do from the current roster...  BTW who did start the Avery Bradley will be better than RR thread...???  I like AB but would bet most anything he NEVER has a stat line approcahing today or most any of Rondo's multiple triple doubles.
    Posted by Bird-to-DJ[/QUOTE]

it was pud who started the bradley is better than rondo thread, but he never really contributes anything positive to the board anyway so its not surprising

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: all the Rondo haters...chew on this... : it was pud who started the bradley is better than rondo thread, but he never really contributes anything positive to the board anyway so its not surprising
    Posted by redsoxfan94[/QUOTE]

no no, it was kirk.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

[QUOTE]Agree. Amazing game. However, one game does not compensate for inconsistency, nor does it solve his inadequacies. Hopefully we can get something decent for him in a trade now.
    Posted by elDunker2[/QUOTE]

Or hopefully, this is a base to work and build on...why would you trde a guy that is capable of games like this?? What other guard in the NBA is able to put numbers like that????If Danny trades this guy, it will go down as the most boneheade trade in Celtic history. Only J johnson, and Billups trades would compare...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: all the Rondo haters...chew on this... : haha..it was actually a "Bradley IS better than Rondo" thread..lmao
    Posted by JamezHill24[/QUOTE]

That same moron said  in the past that Eddie House was better than rondo and that Nate robinson was better than Rondo.  Pretty amazing stuff.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: all the Rondo haters...chew on this...": Your post is all conjecture without any facts. "talk is" he hits in practice regularly...cite a source or are these voices in your head? "he's able to hit free throws and 3s" ...in play time without D maybe. He certainly has't demonstrated that proficiency in real games. And you actually think he could have been a good shooter but just never really tried!! Shooting is key to his fundamental job responsibility. If you think he needs more motivation to improve, you're in denial of reality.
    Posted by elDunker2[/QUOTE]

Fundamental job responsibility?? Really?  Do you think he was drafted because he is a shooter? If what you say is true, every player has that responsibility and others as well.  Is it KGs job responsibility to post up? Is it Pierce's job responsibility to be in shape and shoot a better percentage in the month of February??  The fact is all players have definciencies in their game otherwise they would all be Michael Jordan......but some posters just want to point out Rondo's deficiencies because that the trend on this board....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

[QUOTE]I like Rondo, he's amazing and spectacular at times but yet can frustrate too at times. It was said this was Rondo's 4th Triple Double this year and I believe I heard only one other player has 1. I do not want to seem like an ingrate---he is truly a gifted athlete and it's a delight to watch his athletic skills but if PP does not make the 3 to send us into overtime, how would we feel. Many would blame Pietrus poor shooting but also, irrespective of Rondo's fantastic play I guess you could call it "quid pro quo", (you get something but give something) yet he missed I don't know how many but it seemed like at least 5-8 drive to the basket balls off the glass & a couple of short jumpers too.  OK, am I getting greedy with all else he did to say if he had made those, he would have had an "Avatar" performance  & we would have won by 10+ in reg time. With all of my comments, I'd still like not to trade him but if we want to be a championship team, in addition to KG, we still need a Big Man, a Banger, like Wilcox but 1-2 inches taller, who can put in rebounds too. But I still say Rondo "HOORAH" !!!
    Posted by mandobello[/QUOTE]

Everyone on that team is frustrating at times... Pierce was awful for the whole month of Feb but where are the posters calling for his head like that do for Rondo...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

The fact is all players have definciencies in their game otherwise they would all be Michael Jordan......but some posters just want to point out Rondo's deficiencies because that the trend on this board....

Most of the "detractors" are pointing out Rondo's deficiencies because we know he possesses the talent to be one of the best, if not the best. It's similar to parents being tough on their genius kid for coasting to a report card of B's when he has the intelligence and ability to be valedictorian.

If Rondo were just another borderline All-Star like a Mo Williams or Jameer Nelson, we wouldn't demand greatness because we wouldn't expect it. Rondo is supremely talented. We should expect greatness, especially when his primary deficiency (hitting open baskets) is something that 80% of the league masters. To use the genius kid example again it would be the equivalent of being an A student in AP Math, AP Science, AP English, AP Science, and AP History, while flunking Home Economics and Health. Rondo's already achieved the hard part. He needs to take care of the easy part.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"  He has the talent to be one of the all-time best but he doesn't seem to care enough about honing the fundamentals so that he can reach full potential. "

Your analysis is wrong here, just like your delusion that Antoine Walker could have been Karl Malone with more time in the gym. 

Here's where the Rondo critics are right: he's shown some real attitude problems and inconsistencies in play. You could even argue effort or keeping his head in the game has been a problem. That's 100 percent correct and not to my liking either. 

I get the sense he is turning the corner with his mental game and it's encouraging to hear he has good commnication with both Doc and Danny to continue to improve. 

But as far as him becoming a consistent shooter, well, the assumption that it's just practice that will resolve this, or the assupmption that he's not working hard enough, just doesn't hold up. My understanding is Rondo does work hard on his shooting stroke in the offseason. But, it's never going to be his great strength. Some guys are gifted shooters, some have amazing court vision like Rondo. It's rarely the same person. Rondo does need to hit the clutch free throws though. 

The layup line, on the other hand, he needs to hit his layups a bit more consistently there's no doubt about that. 

I have trouble with the Rondo lovers and Rondo haters. Rondo has had a rough season, no doubt about it. To claim he had a bad game tonight is insane. He had a great game, when it was winning time he made the plays. I would not, however, call it a historically great game despite the huge stats only because he did miss a number of gimmes. So it wasn't historically great, but it was darned exciting and still a great team win for this season. 

Trading him for value I can get behind if there is true value. Trading him just to get rid of him is crazy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

The layup line, on the other hand, he needs to hit his layups a bit more consistently there's no doubt about that.

I'm not expecting Rondo to be a proficient outside shooter. My primary complaints about his shooting are open lay-ups and free throws. There's no excuse for any NBA player, any collegiate player even, missing those baskets with regularity. And Rondo isn't the only offender on the Celtics either. Garnett misses way too many lay-ups too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: all the Rondo haters...chew on this... : no no, it was kirk.
    Posted by JamezHill24[/QUOTE]

oo yea they have similar pictures i think black and white lol my bad

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

[QUOTE]The layup line, on the other hand, he needs to hit his layups a bit more consistently there's no doubt about that. I'm not expecting Rondo to be a proficient outside shooter. My primary complaints about his shooting are open lay-ups and free throws. There's no excuse for any NBA player, any collegiate player even, missing those baskets with regularity. And Rondo isn't the only offender on the Celtics either. Garnett misses way too many lay-ups too.
    Posted by davidap[/QUOTE]

this is where theres a problem. its not common for Rondo to miss layups like he was today..its not like he cant hit layups, otherwise he would have a horrible fg% bc according to you guys he "cant shoot" he had a bad QUARTER where he missed a bunch of layups. big deal! i overlook it bc it was his play that  had us in position in the 4th in the first place.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

[QUOTE]The fact is all players have definciencies in their game otherwise they would all be Michael Jordan......but some posters just want to point out Rondo's deficiencies because that the trend on this board.... Most of the "detractors" are pointing out Rondo's deficiencies because we know he possesses the talent to be one of the best, if not the best. It's similar to parents being tough on their genius kid for coasting to a report card of B's when he has the intelligence and ability to be valedictorian. If Rondo were just another borderline All-Star like a Mo Williams or Jameer Nelson, we wouldn't demand greatness because we wouldn't expect it. Rondo is supremely talented. We should expect greatness , especially when his primary deficiency (hitting open baskets) is something that 80% of the league masters. To use the genius kid example again it would be the equivalent of being an A student in AP Math, AP Science, AP English, AP Science, and AP History, while flunking Home Economics and Health. Rondo's already achieved the hard part. He needs to take care of the easy part.

All true but why not enjoy his amazing strengths that are like no other point guard in the NBA... what other guard is going to get 17 rebounds  20 assists ?? No one but we want to focus on the things he is not good at... I do believe as his attitude matures, his overall game will improve as well.  Does it frustrate me that he isnt able to hit a jumper, sure it does but I look at everything else that he can bring to table and thats a lot!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

this is where theres a problem. its not common for Rondo to miss layups like he was today..its not like he cant hit layups, otherwise he would have a horrible fg% bc according to you guys he "cant shoot" he had a bad QUARTER where he missed a bunch of layups. big deal! i overlook it bc it was his play that  had us in position in the 4th in the first place.

Pierce seemed a lot more clutch to me today, and not just with the three-pointer toward the end of regulation. When the Celtics win a game late, it's usually Pierce who rises to the occasion. I can remember Ray Allen doing it once or twice. Has Rondo ever tied or won a game in the final minute? It's an honest question. I don't know.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

[QUOTE]this is where theres a problem. its not common for Rondo to miss layups like he was today..its not like he cant hit layups, otherwise he would have a horrible fg% bc according to you guys he "cant shoot" he had a bad QUARTER where he missed a bunch of layups. big deal! i overlook it bc it was his play that  had us in position in the 4th in the first place. Pierce seemed a lot more clutch to me today, and not just with the three-pointer toward the end of regulation. When the Celtics win a game late, it's usually Pierce who rises to the occasion. I can remember Ray Allen doing it once or twice. Has Rondo ever tied or won a game in the final minute? It's an honest question. I don't know.

I dont know that answer either but I do know that he is not the one they go to in that situation... its either Pierce or Ray...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

[QUOTE]this is where theres a problem. its not common for Rondo to miss layups like he was today..its not like he cant hit layups, otherwise he would have a horrible fg% bc according to you guys he "cant shoot" he had a bad QUARTER where he missed a bunch of layups. big deal! i overlook it bc it was his play that  had us in position in the 4th in the first place. Pierce seemed a lot more clutch to me today, and not just with the three-pointer toward the end of regulation. When the Celtics win a game late, it's usually Pierce who rises to the occasion. I can remember Ray Allen doing it once or twice. Has Rondo ever tied or won a game in the final minute? It's an honest question. I don't know.

i dont think hes ever won a game, there was back in 2010 wen he converted the alley oop in miami to tie it and send it to overtime (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7TvV_B0rZM&feature=related), thats all i remember. he did hit a game winning 3 while he was at kentucky lol ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et_16fGkzK8 ) i do however remember him keeping teams at large plenty of times, when it matters the most, in the playoffs. 

but im not really sure thats ever been Rondo's role on this team. when you have clutch ray, clutch paul, and fairly clutch kevin on your team, why would you shoot at the end of the game? it seems more logical to draw up a play for one of those guys. ive never seen him make a game winner but ive never seen him take one either.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

but im not really sure thats ever been Rondo's role on this team. when you have clutch ray, clutch paul, and fairly clutch kevin on your team, why would you shoot at the end of the game? it seems more logical to draw up a play for one of those guys. ive never seen him make a game winner but ive never seen him take one either.

Good points. I'm not knocking Rondo for it, I was just curious. It just feels like Pierce is a lot more successful in clutch situations than anyone else on the team. I remember an Allen game-winner in Toronto a few years back, and I vaguely recall something similar at a game in Philadelphia at some point. I can't remember Garnett ever hitting the tying or winning basket either, although sometimes he's instrumental in the preceding possession. Is there a reason why Rondo doesn't get more opportunities to shine in clutch situations? He usually is the go-to guy at the end of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Why not the 4th? We've seen point guards on other teams take the ball in the final possession, from Derrick Rose, Steve Nash and Tony Parker, to second and third-tier point guards like Devin Harris and Derek Fisher.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: all the Rondo haters...chew on this... : Well yeah.  That's obvious.  Rondo is an very good player who has huge flaws in his game.  If everyone would just admit that very simple face then this entire board would probably shut down.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

SmileSmile

Now why do I find myself agreeing a lot with your perspective?

When the cup is 7/8th full and people focus on how it is 1/8th empty, it is just plain silly.  Especially when Rondo's contract is much less than 7/8th of 100% player.

Yes, Rondo may have missed those layups.  But he also got us points by setting others up.  This is what you get with Rondo and also what you don't get.  And what you get is pretty darned good.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

[QUOTE]"  He has the talent to be one of the all-time best but he doesn't seem to care enough about honing the fundamentals so that he can reach full potential. " Your analysis is wrong here, just like your delusion that Antoine Walker could have been Karl Malone with more time in the gym.  Here's where the Rondo critics are right: he's shown some real attitude problems and inconsistencies in play. You could even argue effort or keeping his head in the game has been a problem. That's 100 percent correct and not to my liking either.  I get the sense he is turning the corner with his mental game and it's encouraging to hear he has good commnication with both Doc and Danny to continue to improve.  But as far as him becoming a consistent shooter, well, the assumption that it's just practice that will resolve this, or the assupmption that he's not working hard enough, just doesn't hold up. My understanding is Rondo does work hard on his shooting stroke in the offseason. But, it's never going to be his great strength. Some guys are gifted shooters, some have amazing court vision like Rondo. It's rarely the same person. Rondo does need to hit the clutch free throws though.  The layup line, on the other hand, he needs to hit his layups a bit more consistently there's no doubt about that.  I have trouble with the Rondo lovers and Rondo haters. Rondo has had a rough season, no doubt about it. To claim he had a bad game tonight is insane. He had a great game, when it was winning time he made the plays. I would not, however, call it a historically great game despite the huge stats only because he did miss a number of gimmes. So it wasn't historically great, but it was darned exciting and still a great team win for this season.  Trading him for value I can get behind if there is true value. Trading him just to get rid of him is crazy.
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]
    YOu make a rational and for me a completely logical case for how to look at Rondo. I always felt this way but to see so many express anger at dissing Rondo for his inconsistent play since last Feb., it really baffles me.  I think if he can keep it up and make lay ups the Rondo train will be chugging better than ever this year. We will have to see.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: all the Rondo haters...chew on this... : Don't mean exactly like this.....obviously.  But, watch next game and see if he is AS engaged.  That's all I meant.  He can't have a triple-double every game, but he can LEAD this team every night.....if he wants to.  I'm looking for a little consistency.  I don't want to see the next game, 0 points and 5 assists....that is what I mean!

OK, so?  Can you name one player in NBA that does not have ups and downs?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

[QUOTE]but im not really sure thats ever been Rondo's role on this team. when you have clutch ray, clutch paul, and fairly clutch kevin on your team, why would you shoot at the end of the game? it seems more logical to draw up a play for one of those guys. ive never seen him make a game winner but ive never seen him take one either. Good points. I'm not knocking Rondo for it, I was just curious. It just feels like Pierce is a lot more successful in clutch situations than anyone else on the team. I remember an Allen game-winner in Toronto a few years back, and I vaguely recall something similar at a game in Philadelphia at some point. I can't remember Garnett ever hitting the tying or winning basket either, although sometimes he's instrumental in the preceding possession. Is there a reason why Rondo doesn't get more opportunities to shine in clutch situations? He usually is the go-to guy at the end of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Why not the 4th? We've seen point guards on other teams take the ball in the final possession, from Derrick Rose, Steve Nash and Tony Parker, to second and third-tier point guards like Devin Harris and Derek Fisher.

when you look at all those guys, who else is on their teams to take those shots? Fisher has Kobe, but besides that, who else is on Rose, Nash, Parker, etc's teams to shoot? 

Pierce is a known clutch guy, as is Ray. Rondo came into the league knowing who was getting the ball at the end of the game. just like Lin is not gunna get a whole lot of opportunities at the end of the game if Melo is in the game.

i remember Rondo taking matters into his own hands time and time again in the 4th qtr's of the 2010 playoffs. he got 4th qtr buckets thru huge steals, rebounds, any way he could. im not saying he is a clutch player, but i def think he has it in him, bc ive seen him make huge plays at huge times. i guess we will soon know.

Sections
Shortcuts