Re: All time favorite Celtic

Oops, how could I forget Dave Cowens!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from postal5. Show postal5's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Oops, how could I forget Dave Cowens!!

[/QUOTE]

Anybody remember the "It Was a Short Time Out"  cover of Sports Illustrated one fall (when it really did matter) a couple years after Russ retired?   The Celts had drafted a short, white center from Florida State who was tearing up the NBA with hustle and intense rebounding to the point that the Celts were suddenly rebuilt.  Those were great times for C's fans.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Good memory postal5. Also is Mploy's mention of Bob Cousy the first ?  He was the biggest thing around with his behind the back and great passing, maybe  set the course for Maravich type flash although Maravich was a better shooter-scorer

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiggerThanMyBrady. Show BiggerThanMyBrady's posts

Tony Delk

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Good memory postal5. Also is Mploy's mention of Bob Cousy the first ?  He was the biggest thing around with his behind the back and great passing, maybe  set the course for Maravich type flash although Maravich was a better shooter-scorer

[/QUOTE]

I remember Cousy playing in an all star game of old timers against nba players during one all star break..  As an old man, he drove the lane, flipped the ball backhanded  behind his back to the trailer,  using his left hand, then feigned going up for a ayup with his right hand.

It absolutely freaked the crowd and the announcers out..  myself included... he still had it.. was so cool to see

Note: I may have messed up exactly how it happened, by the memory of WOW is still there

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

Tiny Archibald was my first favorite when I was young.  I also loved Maxwell early on.  Bird, of course.  Reggie Lewis.  Al Jefferson because he reminded me so much of McHale.  Kenny Anderson for that first half season when he tried to play like a point guard....and was masterful.  Eric Williams was another player I loved.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertmont. Show vertmont's posts

Red Auerbach. Player would be none other then the greatest NBA player of all time Bill Russell.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

my top 5 in order: note-this list is since 85

bird

lewis

McHale

PP

Rondo for some reason...he is fun to watch

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to aciemvp's comment:

[QUOTE]

TERRY DUEROD

he could have been a great backup 2 gunner if he didn't wreck his knee

[/QUOTE]

I loved Duerod. As I recall Bird said he was the best shooter he ever played with.

[/QUOTE]

due had an unbelievable stroke on his shot.  i really thought he was going to be something for us.  unfortunately he got injured before arthro procedures were a snap like they are today

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from postal5. Show postal5's posts

Oops-we are forgetting to give "the love" to the amazing Havlicek.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

chronological order of youngest memories-

hondo

max

bird-parish-mchale-dj

(hold on for big fall off)

adrian griffin

glen davis

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to Duke4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hank ("High Henry") Finkel.....voted the greatest player in the history of Dayton Universary.....his nickname of High Henry was given to him by Johnny Most.....he was once described as a guy who always looked like he was running uphill....he was the unfortunate guy who replaced Bill Russell.....I met him once in the Garden and we talked for a few minutes....he was the nicest and most humble athlete I've ever met....a true gentleman.....!

[/QUOTE]

HA. I'm late to this post thread, and didn't think anybody would mention Henry Finkle who was on my short list along with Satch Sanders, Jungle Jim Loskutoff, ML Carr, Dave Cowens and of course Larry, the greatest Celtic of all time.  

I don't consider super-stars signed for the short term in the twi-light of their respective careers as true "Celtics". like Pistol Pete, Marvin Bad News Barnes, Bill Walton, Shaq and many other marquee names. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

[QUOTE]

hondo

max

bird-parish-mchale-dj

adrian griffin

glen davis

[/QUOTE]

Adrian Griffin.... good call. I liked Adrian too. Another one I liked was Eric Strickland. I still think that if coach O'brien had went more with Strickland on Kidd in that series against Jersey, we could have stood a better chance. Instead, he elected to go with Kenny Anderson. Strickland was the only one I saw that could stop Kidd's running game. Eric did it all season long, by taking charges on Kidd. He turned that running game into offensive fouls and limited Kidd's minutes do to foul trouble. For some reason, OB1 didn't play Eric all that much during that ECF series.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Karl.....on your list....did you mean Em Bryant...?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

Larry Bird.

Tony Allen is an all-time favorite as well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to Duke4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Karl.....on your list....did you mean Em Bryant...?

[/QUOTE]

Yes I did mean Em Bryant, his first name was Emmette

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"“I’ll do whatever it takes, whatever I need to do to help this team. So now, if I have to go kill someone on the court, I’ll kill someone on the court." - Darko Milicic

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"“I’ll do whatever it takes, whatever I need to do to help this team. So now, if I have to go kill someone on the court, I’ll kill someone on the court." - Darko Milicic

[/QUOTE]

LOL - remember a poster here who took that literally?

How about Stoijco Vrankovich?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to teejaytee70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Tiny Archibald was my first favorite when I was young.  I also loved Maxwell early on.  Bird, of course.  Reggie Lewis.  Al Jefferson because he reminded me so much of McHale.  Kenny Anderson for that first half season when he tried to play like a point guard....and was masterful.  Eric Williams was another player I loved.

[/QUOTE]

man i loved nate archibald also..and kenny anderson also...and for the short time he was here sherman douglas...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

The best I've seen play is Paul Pierce and K.G. is right there. I only saw Bird Mchale and Parish when they were past their prime. The best I never saw is Big Bill Russell.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Jo Jo, DJ, Larry, KG, Silas barely more than many others........

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

[QUOTE]

hondo

max

bird-parish-mchale-dj

adrian griffin

glen davis

Really? Big Booty Davis?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from runrunandrun. Show runrunandrun's posts

The one and only best big Man in Celtic History Henry Finkle.

Happy Thanksgiving

Run

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to runrunandrun's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The one and only best big Man in Celtic History Henry Finkle.

Happy Thanksgiving

Run

[/QUOTE]

Better than Greg Kite????

Sections
Shortcuts