Am I the only one at the end of my rope with Rondo?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from df2. Show df2's posts

I know we won. And that's great. But when is Doc going to put an end to this Rondo nonsense?

One possession game against a team you are fighting with for the top spot in the conference. And that clown dribbles around and then jacks up a 16 footer. with 25 seconds left in the game and 7 left on the shot clock! Nevermind the fact that he has a legit chance to go down as one of the worst shooting guards in NBA history. He's just heaving up a shot with the game on the line again. That's twice this week What's the upside to this? 

Secondly, why is he even on the floor at the end of close games? He's a liability as a shooter and from the line. And even when he does penetrate it's not that uncommon for him to throw the ball away or whiff on a layup. The last couple of minutes of close games tend to be half court situations- which are not Rondo's strength. Keeping him in there in these situations kind of reminds me of the Red Sox trotting out BK Kim with a one run lead. Sure you can do it. Maybe even get away with it. But what's the point? I just don't get it.

It's clear to me that Rondo is what he is. He is too arrogant and immature to change and evolve as a player. The thought of the Celtics trying to rebuild around this guy terrify me.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driscoll92587. Show Driscoll92587's posts

Re: Am I the only one at the end of my rope with Rondo?

In Response to Am I the only one at the end of my rope with Rondo?:
    I know we won. And that's great. But when is Doc going to put an end to this Rondo nonsense? One possession game against a team you are fighting with for the top spot in the conference. And that clown dribbles around and then jacks up a 16 footer. with 25 seconds left in the game and 7 left on the shot clock! Nevermind the fact that he has a legit chance to go down as one of the worst shooting guards in NBA history. He's just heaving up a shot with the game on the line again. That's twice this week What's the upside to this?  Secondly, why is he even on the floor at the end of close games? He's a liability as a shooter and from the line. And even when he does penetrate it's not that uncommon for him to throw the ball away or whiff on a layup. The last couple of minutes of close games tend to be half court situations- which are not Rondo's strength. Keeping him in there in these situations kind of reminds me of the Red Sox trotting out BK Kim with a one run lead. Sure you can do it. Maybe even get away with it. But what's the point? I just don't get it. It's clear to me that Rondo is what he is. He is too arrogant and immature to change and evolve as a player. The thought of the Celtics trying to rebuild around this guy terrify me.
    Posted by df2

The guy played a great game tonight and was completely solid from the floor.  I understand the issue with the 16 footer, but understand that with a one posession game you need to get a 2-for-1 opportunity.  If Rondo waits until the shot clock gets down past 24 seconds and the C's don't score, that gives a buzzer beater opportunity to Miami with no shot clock, thus putting the C's into a one-defensive-stop-to-win scenario.  If Rondo hits that shot, the C's are up by 2 possessions.  Missing the shot was tough, but at least it gave the team the opportunity to get one more chance in the event Miami scores.

I think you're being a little tough on the guy.  He still needs work on his shooting but I think he made smart plays for the duration. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

Rondo had 10 asists, 11 points and a team leading 10 rebounds  all with just one turnover in over 40 minutes.  He covered Lebron in the 3rd quarter and did a good job.

As for not evolving as a player, Rondo's become an all-star and has had two straight all-defensive selections and his play has contributed mightily to the Celtics having the most efficient offense in the league.

I'd say he's come a long way.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenkillme. Show greenkillme's posts

I know we won. And that's great. But when is Doc going to put an end to this Rondo nonsense? One possession game against a team you are fighting with for the top spot in the conference. And that clown dribbles around and then jacks up a 16 footer. with 25 seconds left in the game and 7 left on the shot clock! Nevermind the fact that he has a legit chance to go down as one of the worst shooting guards in NBA history. He's just heaving up a shot with the game on the line again. That's twice this week What's the upside to this?  Secondly, why is he even on the floor at the end of close games? He's a liability as a shooter and from the line. And even when he does penetrate it's not that uncommon for him to throw the ball away or whiff on a layup. The last couple of minutes of close games tend to be half court situations- which are not Rondo's strength. Keeping him in there in these situations kind of reminds me of the Red Sox trotting out BK Kim with a one run lead. Sure you can do it. Maybe even get away with it. But what's the point? I just don't get it. It's clear to me that Rondo is what he is. He is too arrogant and immature to change and evolve as a player. The thought of the Celtics trying to rebuild around this guy terrify me.
    Posted by df2

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenkillme. Show greenkillme's posts

Posted by df2

Does the d in df2 stand for "dudder". I have one comment about your post. It is "doopid"....which means that any 4 year old would read it and say that. Shooting a wide open jump shot when time is at a premium is not "jacking up" a shot.

Acie...did you want him to take that shot?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenkillme. Show greenkillme's posts

As Doc said...Rondo "willed" the Celtics to the win.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Rondo is an enigma, get used to it. I like the way he took on the challenge of covering James. I thought Doc was going to move Rondo to Miller and PP to James but after hearing PP has some issues now I understand. Rondo played James decent. The best man defense I've seen him play in awhile. There wasn't any matador defense or reaching, he was moving his feet and bumping him.

Don't let Rondo drive you crazy because you will end up having to come to the board and explain yourself the minute he has a great game. He is what he is!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

Yes, you probably are! If you don't like Rondo, you'd better start rooting for another team because he's going to be around in Boston for a long time. Don't try too hard to understand Rondo. He is an enigma, but he's a winner!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]

Am I the only one at the end of my rope with Rondo

Well no,  there is you and Acie, Pudding, and the Dudder.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Posted by df2

Maybe the shot with 25 seconds was at heatcheck!!! Rondo may have been feelin' it. Seriously all that was missing was the canned laugh tracks in the background from Incredible TV Bloopers.

If Rondo played for another team, the posters here at BDC would be ripping him unmercifully. As it is, we are expected/required to pull our punches.

I pray for DWest's safe return so that he (instead of point forward CPP) can run the show at crunch time....not Rondo's forte by any s-t-r-e-t-c-h.

Pud 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrleftfoot. Show jrleftfoot's posts

In Response to Re: Am I the only one at the end of my rope with Rondo?:
    In Response to Am I the only one at the end of my rope with Rondo? : Maybe the shot with 25 seconds was at heatcheck!!! Rondo may have been feelin' it. Seriously all that was missing was the canned laugh tracks in the background from Incredible TV Bloopers. If Rondo played for another team, the posters here at BDC would be ripping him unmercifully . As it is, we are expected/required to pull our punches. I pray for DWest's safe return so that he (instead of point forward CPP) can run the show at crunch time....not Rondo's forte by any s-t-r-e-t-c-h. Pud 
    Posted by puddinpuddin

ass-i-nine

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PACelt. Show PACelt's posts

Maybe this year we'll see Rondo covering Kobe in the finals(if the Lakers make it).  That would be novel.  He'd really get under Kobe's skin, which isn't hard to do.  He'd probably have to take a couple elbows to the face, as Kobe is inclined to throw them when frustrated.

I have bashed Rondo's shooting for a couple of years(he needs to practice more).  I still believe that he needs to work on it, but I'm no where near the end of my rope.  The only problem that I had with that shot was that he didn't drive to the hoop instead off the pick and roll.  It was his shot to take, but it could have been a six footer.

PA

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Rondo is an enigma, get used to it. I like the way he took on the challenge of covering James. I thought Doc was going to move Rondo to Miller and PP to James but after hearing PP has some issues now I understand. Rondo played James decent. The best man defense I've seen him play in awhile. There wasn't any matador defense or reaching, he was moving his feet and bumping him. Don't let Rondo drive you crazy because you will end up having to come to the board and explain yourself the minute he has a great game. He is what he is!!
    Posted by BiasLewis

It was a accident the reason Rondo was on James.  Doc told him to press full court and Rondo thought he meant whoever brought the ball up.  That was not Doc's intention.  It caught the Heat off guard so they did it a couple more times. Maybe this gives Doc some ideas on players.  Do something out of the ordinary and take them by surpris.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbrr7. Show paulbrr7's posts

To answer your question YES! Rondo is one of the best point guard in the NBA. The Celtics do not win an NBA title without him. Name another point guard other then Nash that you can say that about.  Also here is a young player on a team of vets who runs the show. The Vets know how important he is to their sucess, did you hear the comments Ray had for him when he hit the record 3. He is already the second best point guard the celtics have ever had right behind Cousy.  MAN!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

Posted by df2

here's a guy who has stated he hates the nba. he's slumming here as a time kill between nfl and mlb seasons. a byproduct of hating something is wanting to complain about it. add rondo to the mix and we get threads such as this.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kccorwin. Show kccorwin's posts

Rondo jumper has improved and he did hit a couple from outside in the game. I agree with the thought that it was a 2 for 1 and he probably knew that noone was open at the moment and took the shot. I for one want him taking that shot.  If he starts making that shot now he will be even better in the playoffs. With Pierce 0-10 and Allen having an off day, Rondo stepped it up with a triple double along with Big Baby and Wafer. I will take that kind of game anyday!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

Posted by df2

I was going to comment on this post ...but it will only encourage you.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

To answer your question YES! Rondo is one of the best point guard in the NBA. The Celtics do not win an NBA title without him. Name another point guard other then Nash that you can say that about.  Also here is a young player on a team of vets who runs the show. The Vets know how important he is to their sucess, did you hear the comments Ray had for him when he hit the record 3. He is already the second best point guard the celtics have ever had right behind Cousy.  MAN!
    Posted by paulbrr7

DWilliams, Rose, Nash, Paul, are just a few.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Rondo jumper has improved and he did hit a couple from outside in the game. I agree with the thought that it was a 2 for 1 and he probably knew that noone was open at the moment and took the shot. I for one want him taking that shot.  If he starts making that shot now he will be even better in the playoffs. With Pierce 0-10 and Allen having an off day, Rondo stepped it up with a triple double along with Big Baby and Wafer. I will take that kind of game anyday!
    Posted by kccorwin

What makes you think he as improved his jumper?  Of course it had no where to go but up.  Triple double was great though.  Until I see his free throws percentage go up and consistently hit a jumper, please don't tell me his shot has improved.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from markp99. Show markp99's posts

We caught a bit of the "Celtics Old School" broadcast this weekend - with an old Kentucky game w/Rondo at point.

It was funny to see Rondo directing traffic same as today.  Then he steps up to the line to take a freethrow - the announcers note his poor FT percentage for that season - 59%.  Ugh!

Sounded all too familiar.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbrr7. Show paulbrr7's posts

In Response to Re: Am I the only one at the end of my rope with Rondo? : DWilliams, Rose, Nash, Paul, are just a few.
    Posted by OneOnOne

Dwilliams,Rose and Paul all good players but not one has a chance at going to the NBA finals.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pine8ball. Show pine8ball's posts

All this complaining about Rondo. Where would we be without him? In the toilet!!!! He's damned if he does and he's damned if he doesn't. This team was built on the "Big Three." Consider how consistent they've been this year before you criticize Rondo. How many games have they played this year where all 3 of them had a good game? Not many but some of you are willing to blame Rondo. Pierce was 0 for whatever from the field and scored one point. Ray did not have a good shooting game. Garnett had a decent game with 19 and we still won. I;m sorry but without Rondo we would have had no chance yesterday against the Heat. I know Pierce might be injured, he's been sick and they are all playing to many minutes right now but Rondo is not 100% himself. He is still a young player and some of you want him to perform like a seasoned veteran. How often has he been asked to take a final shot?? He showed a lot of moxie with taking that shot with 25 seconds to go. Yes it didn;t go in but with time and more opportunities to do the same they will. Lay off the kid, he is developing just fine and without him we'd be in the "toilet" right now.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

This posting is clearly an example of people who dont follow basketball or have never understood the game.
    In the Finals last year, and again in a game this year, who did the Lakers assign to Rondo? Their best player in Kobe.  Teams cannot guard Rondo...even when they back off and dont respect his average to below average shooting, he still picks them apart.  He leads the league in assists and is an all defensive player in the NBA.  When both Orlando and Cav's coaches were asked why the couldnt close the door on the Celtics last year, they both said, and I am paraphrasing a bit here but "we couldnt match Rondo's quickness and penetration".
    When the Celtics have 3 players in KG, Allen and Pierce, and the opposing coaches have to scheme to stop Rondo, what does that tell you??
    Seriously i dont even know why I respond to such stupidity.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Rondo haters you keep complaining but this guy keeps winning important games for your team.  Grow up. His shooting is improving and I was glad he took the shot from the outside when left wide open.  He is getting better and does watching his competitiveness tell you something about his desire to be better.

I say there is no more impactful point guard in the NBA.

I am also aware the Rondo naysayers will never admit his greatness even when we win another championship.  Russell was not a good shooter either. It didn't stop him from winning and it won't stop Rondo.

Delonte if healthy will certainly be nice to have in last second situations where the foul shooting comes in.  But Rondo is a giant killer and you who doubt him are sounding more and more stupid.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In Response to Am I the only one at the end of my rope with Rondo? : Maybe the shot with 25 seconds was at heatcheck!!! Rondo may have been feelin' it. Seriously all that was missing was the canned laugh tracks in the background from Incredible TV Bloopers. If Rondo played for another team, the posters here at BDC would be ripping him unmercifully . As it is, we are expected/required to pull our punches. I pray for DWest's safe return so that he (instead of point forward CPP) can run the show at crunch time....not Rondo's forte by any s-t-r-e-t-c-h. Pud 
    Posted by puddinpuddin

Yeah, that triple double was just awful. Worst player on the floor. 

Sections
Shortcuts