And now for something completely different...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

And now for something completely different...

We're in the Dog Days now and not a lot of basketball to be discussed, so I thought (if the moderators will let me) maybe I'd change the discussion.

Commie's post below about Michael Phelps' greatness vs. what LBJ might do as a swimmer, inspired me to think about the transcendent sports achievements that outstrip everything else and are probably unduplicable.  By which I mean, most records (like numbers of medals) will eventually be broken, but either some seem safe forever, or the magnitude of their setting will likely never be equalled.

So I invite you to add to this list of sports achievements seen during the lifetime of people now living that will likely never be equalled.

Off the top of my head:

Joe DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak (no one has come close)

Wilt Chamberlain's 100 pt. game.  (Okay, Syracuse was a lousy team, and they kept feeding him the ball, but 100 pts?  We'll never see it again.)

Bob Beamon's Mexico City Olympics long jump. (His record has since been broken, but it took decades to do it, and he beat the established record by two feet!)

Secretariat's Belmont Stakes victory (by 13 lengths pulling away!  I've never seen anything like it.)

Maybe Nadia Comenici's perfect 10s (though that was a little squirrelly and a lot subjective).

(I would personally add Bill Russell's 11 NBA championships, 2 NCAA titles, and Olympic Gold in 15 seasons, but that's a body of work and I don't know if it counts.)

Others?

cheers --

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Re: And now for something completely different...

4000 hits

300 wins

50 ppg average for a season

.400 hitter

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

By the way:  Mel Counts  :-)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In Response to And now for something completely different...:
    We're in the Dog Days now and not a lot of basketball to be discussed, so I thought (if the moderators will let me) maybe I'd change the discussion. Commie's post below about Michael Phelps' greatness vs. what LBJ might do as a swimmer, inspired me to think about the transcendent sports achievements that outstrip everything else and are probably unduplicable.  By which I mean, most records (like numbers of medals) will eventually be broken, but either some seem safe forever, or the magnitude of their setting will likely never be equalled. So I invite you to add to this list of sports achievements seen during the lifetime of people now living that will likely never be equalled. Off the top of my head: Joe DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak (no one has come close) Wilt Chamberlain's 100 pt. game.  (Okay, Syracuse was a lousy team, and they kept feeding him the ball, but 100 pts?  We'll never see it again.) Bob Beamon's Mexico City Olympics long jump. (His record has since been broken, but it took decades to do it, and he beat the established record by two feet!) Secretariat's Belmont Stakes victory (by 13 lengths pulling away!  I've never seen anything like it.) Maybe Nadia Comenici's perfect 10s (though that was a little squirrelly and a lot subjective). (I would personally add Bill Russell's 11 NBA championships, 2 NCAA titles, and Olympic Gold in 15 seasons, but that's a body of work and I don't know if it counts.) Others? cheers --
    Posted by Number6Fan

I'm with you on Secretariat! It might be the single most amazing feat i have seen in sports!!  I'm sure you meant 31 lengths instead of 13!!

Here are some things we may not see again!!  A pitcher as good as Koufax when he was in his prime!

Someone ever being able to hit home runs as far as Mantle!!

A boxer even close to what the great Ali was!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skins and Heart. Show Skins and Heart's posts

St George Dragons - Australian rugby league team. 11 championships in a row from 1956 to 1966. Australian cricket team. 16 Test Match wins in a row. Achieved twice. Previous best was by the team from the West Indies with 11.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fields4. Show Fields4's posts

In Response to Re: And now for something completely different...:
    In Response to And now for something completely different... : Hands down, Secretariat's record.  And by the way, I was there that day and it wasn't 13 lengths,  he was 31 lengths ahead of his nearest challenger and won in a world record time which still stands for the 1 1/2 miles distance – 2 minutes 24.  I'm now 71 years-old and I've never witnessed anything more electric in sports than his performance that day in 1973. I still get the chills watching a replay on Utube.   
    Posted by dustcover

Spain national football team won Euro 2008, World Cup 2010 and Euro 12. 
    That's pure dominance.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

Here's a crazy stat: 7 times Allen Iverson finished in the top 10 of MVP Voting. 1 time Paul Pierce finished in the top 10 of MVP Voting. We all know the league hates the Celtics but this just isn't fair! UGH!!!
    Posted by TommyRules

Hey guys (BOTH of you).  Let's not hijack this thread, which has the ability to be interesting.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

i'm sure you are not born then but how can you forget to mention
    JESSE OWENS vs HITLER?

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

In Response to Re: And now for something completely different... : Sure thing, Rico! HAHAHA
    Posted by Fiercest34

Fierce and Tommy:  SHUT UP!  You are ruining what started out as a perfectly good thread.  Are you both ADD?  OCD?  15-year olds? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

i'm sure you are not born then but how can you forget to mention JESSE OWENS vs HITLER?
    Posted by CHEisCHE

It fts the guidelines of being with the memory of people now living.  Although it's politically important, and historically important, I'm not sure as an athletic feat it stands with the others.  But I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In Response to And now for something completely different...:
    We're in the Dog Days now and not a lot of basketball to be discussed, so I thought (if the moderators will let me) maybe I'd change the discussion. Commie's post below about Michael Phelps' greatness vs. what LBJ might do as a swimmer, inspired me to think about the transcendent sports achievements that outstrip everything else and are probably unduplicable.  By which I mean, most records (like numbers of medals) will eventually be broken, but either some seem safe forever, or the magnitude of their setting will likely never be equalled. So I invite you to add to this list of sports achievements seen during the lifetime of people now living that will likely never be equalled. Off the top of my head: Joe DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak (no one has come close) Wilt Chamberlain's 100 pt. game.  (Okay, Syracuse was a lousy team, and they kept feeding him the ball, but 100 pts?  We'll never see it again.) Bob Beamon's Mexico City Olympics long jump. (His record has since been broken, but it took decades to do it, and he beat the established record by two feet!) Secretariat's Belmont Stakes victory (by 13 lengths pulling away!  I've never seen anything like it.) Maybe Nadia Comenici's perfect 10s (though that was a little squirrelly and a lot subjective). (I would personally add Bill Russell's 11 NBA championships, 2 NCAA titles, and Olympic Gold in 15 seasons, but that's a body of work and I don't know if it counts.) Others? cheers --
    Posted by Number6Fan

How about another band having as many #1 hits as the Beatles?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

In Response to And now for something completely different... :   I'm with you on Secretariat! It might be the single most amazing feat i have seen in sports!!  I'm sure you meant 31 lengths instead of 13!!  Here are some things we may not see again!!  A pitcher as good as Koufax when he was in his prime!  Someone ever being able to hit home runs as far as Mantle!!  A boxer even close to what the great Ali was!!
    Posted by kyceltic

Right on all four and the best part, each participated during my lifetime.  Many of us (You included?  Not knowing your age, but I can assume..) have been fortunate to have seen them as well as the aforementioned Mr. Russell, Larry Bird, Tiger Woods (until Elin rightly whacked him upside the head), Julius Erving (at UMass), Alberto Salazar, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Roberto Clemente - the best ever all-time all-star outfield, and other transcendent athletes who have captivated and inspired kids and adults.  Secretariat's Belmont might have been the single greatest moment in sports history.  The others worked their magic over the course of their careers, and not to discount the Derby and the Preakness, that race made my heart beat faster than any other single event I've ever witnessed.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In Response to Re: And now for something completely different... : Right on all four and the best part, each participated during my lifetime.  Many of us (You included?  Not knowing your age, but I can assume..) have been fortunate to have seen them as well as the aforementioned Mr. Russell, Larry Bird, Tiger Woods (until Elin rightly whacked him upside the head), Julius Erving (at UMass), Alberto Salazar, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Roberto Clemente - the best ever all-time all-star outfield, and other transcendent athletes who have captivated and inspired kids and adults.  Secretariat's Belmont might have been the single greatest moment in sports history.  The others worked their magic over the course of their careers, and not to discount the Derby and the Preakness, that race made my heart beat faster than any other single event I've ever witnessed.  
    Posted by painter

How many runners did Clemente gun down at third, with a perfect one hop throw, all the while never getting over 3 feet off the ground!! As great a clutch hitter as i have ever seen!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

It's Cy Young with 511 wins, imo, or Gretzky's point total in the NHL.

A lot of these other records could conceivably fall.  No one but Walter Johnson is within 100 wins of Young. 

MLB pitchers no longer even start 400 games, much less 511 wins.

Gretzky finished 1000 points ahead of Messier, the next closest in point totals.  And he did it in 300 fewer games.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LAL 32. Show LAL 32's posts

New Zealand All Blacks have a winning percentage over 75% since 1903 and are the current World Champions. They have had the no#1 ranking more than all the other rugby nations combined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTslgi-djjA

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Red/Russel's Championsips (11 of 13), John Wooden's Championships (10of 12), Pele's Championships (3 of 4 over 12 year span since World Cup is played evey 4 years). Those are the truly dominant achievements in team sports of winning 75% or more of the consecutive Championships. As for Spain, not in the conversation, European title c'mon, more than a bit Eurocentric. If Spain wins in 2014 they enter the conversation but would still need another Championship to make the list. Spain has won one World Cup....ever. By the way, the most dominant team in recent time in soccer is the US Woman who have won 2 of the 5 World cups, were Runner Ups 2 times, and came in 3 the other time. In the Olympics they've taken 3of 4 Golds with 1 Silver. Look for the creme of the soccer world to rise once again today. Notice I don't even mention the regional titles, no need they are not world championships.

Sections
Shortcuts