And then there was the Captain

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

And then there was the Captain

Seems all the talk is Rondo who rebounded and distributed well but it was the someone else that hit the big shots..   I guess all the Pierce haters can chew on this one as well.  As well as Rondo played  (other than shooting)  we lose without Mr Pierce taking care of Carmelo again.  Oh yea a big time three under pressure to tie the game and get us to overtime.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Re: And then there was the Captain

pierce was clutch as usual....thats why he IS the captain

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In Response to Re: And then there was the Captain:
    pierce was clutch as usual....thats why he IS the captain
    Posted by redsoxfan94

Quite a few think he is fat, out of shape, and OLD.  I have been saying for a long time if he was to take 20 or more shots a game he would average 25 pts a game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

I have been saying for a long time if he was to take 20 or more shots a game he would average 25 pts a game.

The pre-Doc Rivers era Pierce would take as many shots as possible to maximize his per game average. The Pierce of the last few years is genuinely unselfish, doing whatever is best for the team. Sometimes he reverts to his 1-on-5 ways of old, but usually only when the situation demands it (teammates struggling, Rivers calling for an isolation play, etc). I don't think Pierce cares about personal numbers anymore. He'd probably like to catch Havilceck for the franchise record in points scored, however on a game to game basis, I think he just wants the team to win. He's come a long way as both a player and teammate since his first five years in the league, a worthy captain indeed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I have been saying for a long time if he was to take 20 or more shots a game he would average 25 pts a game. The pre-Doc Rivers era Pierce would take as many shots as possible to maximize his per game average. The Pierce of the last few years is genuinely unselfish, doing whatever is best for the team. Sometimes he reverts to his 1-on-5 ways of old, but usually only when the situation demands it (teammates struggling, Rivers calling for an isolation play, etc). I don't think Pierce cares about personal numbers anymore. He'd probably like to catch Havilceck for the franchise record in points scored, however on a game to game basis, I think he just wants the team to win. He's come a long way as both a player and teammate since his first five years in the league, a worthy captain indeed.
    Posted by davidap

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

you are correct...Pierce no longer cares about personal numbers....when that happened he joined the Celtic tradition....that's why Kobe would never have understood what being a Celtic really meant....both guys want to win...one of them doesn't have to be the hero....

again....no Celtic has ever won a scoring title....and no Celtic player even cared about that....think about it.....that is also why Wilt would never have fit in....."me first" just doesn't play out on the parquet....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

Rondo set the table and Pierce pulled up a chair....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elven 32. Show Elven 32's posts

you are correct...Pierce no longer cares about personal numbers....when that happened he joined the Celtic tradition....that's why Kobe would never have understood what being a Celtic really meant....both guys want to win...one of them doesn't have to be the hero.... again....no Celtic has ever won a scoring title....and no Celtic player even cared about that....think about it.....that is also why Wilt would never have fit in....."me first" just doesn't play out on the parquet....
    Posted by Duke4

So lets get this right. Pierce who doesn't think about personal numbers has managed to amass 1 solitary championship and never been voted an All Star starter but Kobe....

has managed to amass 5 NBA championships, a multitude of selections as an All Star starter. We won't even go into the times each has picked 1st all NBA team, btw Pierce has never had that honor, but hey, Pierce knows what it is to be a real Celtic??

Give me the guy who thinks about stats everytime then!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: And then there was the Captain : So lets get this right. Pierce who doesn't think about personal numbers has managed to amass 1 solitary championship and never been voted an All Star starter but Kobe.... has managed to amass 5 NBA championships, a multitude of selections as an All Star starter. We won't even go into the times each has picked 1st all NBA team, btw Pierce has never had that honor, but hey, Pierce knows what it is to be a real Celtic?? Give me the guy who thinks about stats everytime then!
    Posted by Elven 32

No one cares anything about koME on this board, Tayshawn!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mark from Ct. Show Mark from Ct's posts

you are correct...Pierce no longer cares about personal numbers....when that happened he joined the Celtic tradition....that's why Kobe would never have understood what being a Celtic really meant....both guys want to win...one of them doesn't have to be the hero.... again....no Celtic has ever won a scoring title....and no Celtic player even cared about that....think about it.....that is also why Wilt would never have fit in....."me first" just doesn't play out on the parquet....
    Posted by Duke4

In the 11 seasons from 1990-91 to 2000-01 the scoring champion either won the title or lost in the NBA Finals 9 of those 11 years.

Winning the scoring title is not something negative like Celtics fans portray it. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: And then there was the Captain : In the 11 seasons from 1990-91 to 2000-01 the scoring champion either won the title or lost in the NBA Finals 9 of those 11 years. Winning the scoring title is not something negative like Celtics fans portray it. 
    Posted by Mark from Ct

Jordan and koME, right??
    Didn't Durant win it last year?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mark from Ct. Show Mark from Ct's posts

In Response to Re: And then there was the Captain : Jordan and koME, right?? Didn't Durant win it last year?
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11

No, Jordan, Shaq, Iverson.

A number of times the #2 in scoring either won the championship or lost in the Finals.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: And then there was the Captain : No, Jordan, Shaq, Iverson. A number of times the #2 in scoring either won the championship or lost in the Finals.
    Posted by Mark from Ct

If you say so, never gave it much thought.  I do know two things:
    1.  No Celtic has ever led the league in scoring
    2.  We have 17 titles!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mark from Ct. Show Mark from Ct's posts

In Response to Re: And then there was the Captain : If you say so, never gave it much thought.  I do know two things: 1.  No Celtic has ever led the league in scoring 2.  We have 17 titles!!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11

Boston won the majority of their titles when they had 6 or 7 future hall of famers on the team. I wouldn't think that they would need to have a scoring champion to win.

That is a stat that is nice to talk about but doesn't mean a whole lot.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elven 32. Show Elven 32's posts

In Response to Re: And then there was the Captain : In the 11 seasons from 1990-91 to 2000-01 the scoring champion either won the title or lost in the NBA Finals 9 of those 11 years. Winning the scoring title is not something negative like Celtics fans portray it. 
    Posted by Mark from Ct

Great point and I wasn't aware of that. Perhaps a Celtics fan might care to explain how all that 'unselfish play' gave rise to 1988-2007? Let me guess, the refs!

Laughing

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kobedaman. Show kobedaman's posts

In Response to And then there was the Captain:
    Seems all the talk is Rondo who rebounded and distributed well but it was the someone else that hit the big shots..   I guess all the Pierce haters can chew on this one as well.  As well as Rondo played  (other than shooting)  we lose without Mr Pierce taking care of Carmelo again.  Oh yea a big time three under pressure to tie the game and get us to overtime.
    Posted by OneOnOne

Pleaseeeee!   Your boy Mr. Perfect blew two shots prior to this and was only given a reprieve because D'Antoni does not know how to coach!  D'Antoni gives the signal to foul and the C's lose!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I have been saying for a long time if he was to take 20 or more shots a game he would average 25 pts a game. The pre-Doc Rivers era Pierce would take as many shots as possible to maximize his per game average. The Pierce of the last few years is genuinely unselfish, doing whatever is best for the team. Sometimes he reverts to his 1-on-5 ways of old, but usually only when the situation demands it (teammates struggling, Rivers calling for an isolation play, etc). I don't think Pierce cares about personal numbers anymore. He'd probably like to catch Havilceck for the franchise record in points scored, however on a game to game basis, I think he just wants the team to win. He's come a long way as both a player and teammate since his first five years in the league, a worthy captain indeed.
    Posted by davidap

Players sometimes get a bad rap for "take as many shots as possible to maximize his per game average".  I don't think that was ever the case.  Paul took a lot of shots because he was the best player on the team and it COUNTED on him to score.  Look at who he was playing with.  He HAD to shoot for them to win.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gamble_34. Show Gamble_34's posts

Pierce is "The Truth"! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elven 32. Show Elven 32's posts

Pierce is "The Truth"! 
    Posted by Gamble_34

Pierce is the truth....when it comes down to one single solitary banner!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In Response to Re: And then there was the Captain : Pierce is the truth....when it comes down to one single solitary banner!
    Posted by Elven 32

Such a moronic post.  If Pierce would have had the talent around him KOME has had. Pierce would have won five. btw two of Kome's five are related to KG's injury. The others he can thank Shaq for. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elven 32. Show Elven 32's posts

In Response to Re: And then there was the Captain : Such a moronic post.  If Pierce would have had the talent around him KOME has had. Pierce would have won five. btw two of Kome's five are related to KG's injury. The others he can thank Shaq for. 
    Posted by jtkl

Pierce should thank his lucky stars cause had the Lakers had a fit Bynum and Ariza, he would have had no ring!

But the cards were dealt and guess what:

Kobe=5

pierce=1

Laughing

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gamble_34. Show Gamble_34's posts

Let haters be haters.....Pierce was proclaimed "The Truth" by Shaq. I think Shaq knows bball more than the haters that visit this page. Usually when something bad is said it's just jealousy or denial.Cool

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mark from Ct. Show Mark from Ct's posts

Let haters be haters.....Pierce was proclaimed "The Truth" by Shaq. I think Shaq knows bball more than the haters that visit this page. Usually when something bad is said it's just jealousy or denial.
    Posted by Gamble_34

Shaq also said this year that Bynum was the best big man in the league.
    Shaq is either a terrible evaluator of talent or he lies a lot.

Don't ever take anything seriously that Shaq says.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In Response to Re: And then there was the Captain : Pierce should thank his lucky stars cause had the Lakers had a fit Bynum and Ariza, he would have had no ring! But the cards were dealt and guess what: Kobe=5 pierce=1
    Posted by Elven 32

Shaq won three titles with little Kobe by his side doing very little. Pierce won one and saw one stolen by the referees in game seven 2010 as we all know he was 5-24 in that game.  Kobe is not going to ever win again unless traded to the Bulls, Heat or Thunder.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrleftfoot. Show jrleftfoot's posts

Rondo set the table and Pierce pulled up a chair....
    Posted by jdm894g

Great  word picture.

Sections
Shortcuts