Another JON Post

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Re: Another JON Post

"The only way he'll get into basketball shape is to play.  If he is incapable of playing, we need to move him.  Sometimes, you just have to admit "it just did not work out".  That has got to be a priority."

Right, but the problem is he has a horrible contract given his condition. No one is taking him off our hands. We're stuck with him. People on this board need to understand the only way to trade a bad contract is: 

1. bundle it with good players or young guys with potential (and no, AINGE IS NOT TRADING ERDEN! You don't trade a developing 7 footer, don't be ridiculous folks) 
    2. if it is expiring (JON's isn't). 

Why people on this board think other teams want our beat-up junk is hilarious. 

At least with BiasLewis' obsession to trade Baby, Baby isn't junk. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Re: Another JON Post:
    [QUOTE]" The only way he'll get into basketball shape is to play.  If he is incapable of playing, we need to move him.  Sometimes, you just have to admit "it just did not work out".  That has got to be a priority." Right, but the problem is he has a horrible contract given his condition. No one is taking him off our hands. We're stuck with him. People on this board need to understand the only way to trade a bad contract is:  1. bundle it with good players or young guys with potential (and no, AINGE IS NOT TRADING ERDEN! You don't trade a developing 7 footer, don't be ridiculous folks)  2. if it is expiring (JON's isn't).  Why people on this board think other teams want our beat-up junk is hilarious.  At least with BiasLewis' obsession to trade Baby, Baby isn't junk. 
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]

Yes, not many great options.  We can make a long list of what to TRY, but in the end, there's very little incentive for someone to actually do any deal with us, as you point out.

Your move, Danny!  Should be interesting.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Kyceltic, I like your thinking with Posey and Thabeet.

Celtsfan4life is right, It's Ainge's move.

Anyone still hoping that all of a sudden JON's knee gets better is kidding themselves. He's had nothing but rest. It would be a blessing to negotiate a buyout for the remaining salary and send him on his way. Sign Sheed and go from there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mondomara. Show mondomara's posts

Who cares how healthy Wallace is?  He's not going to play any low post game or go for rebounds, so it's like not having a center on the floor.  And people forget that this guy came to camp so out of shape that on the very last game of the season, game 7 of the finals, he's too winded to keep going.  And you want him?  Get serious.  
         I never liked this JON signing and still don't.  Buy him out and get rid of him.  With Perk coming back, you don't need him.  What team in its right mind is going to trade for him?  His contract is not so big to make a difference, and he's useless.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]Who cares how healthy Wallace is?  He's not going to play any low post game or go for rebounds, so it's like not having a center on the floor.  And people forget that this guy came to camp so out of shape that on the very last game of the season, game 7 of the finals, he's too winded to keep going.  And you want him?  Get serious.        I never liked this JON signing and still don't.  Buy him out and get rid of him.  With Perk coming back, you don't need him.  What team in its right mind is going to trade for him?  His contract is not so big to make a difference, and he's useless.
    Posted by mondomara[/QUOTE]

I think your memory is failing you.  Wallace truly stunk it up in the regular season and made us all crazy.  

But, he wasn't too winded in game 7 to go on.  He had a bad back and he played well.  Heck, EVERYONE was winded in that game.  KG got 17 points, 2 assists and 3 rebounds in 38 mins.  Sheed had 11 points, 2 assists, and 8 rebounds in 35 mins (and 2 blocks).  Sounds like they played the same to me!   Sheed was playing well for us!!  He fouled out and that's the only reason he wasn't in at the end.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsalas67m. Show rsalas67m's posts

Your Jermaine O'Neal is our Theo Ratliffe in L.A. Wasted signings and roster spots. DJ Mbenga was a healthy, energetic, 7 footer and he's cut for Theo. What a waste. 

I watched the playoff games against Miami and Boston last season and what stood out were 2 quitters--Jermaine and Michael Beasley. No matter what their talent, these 2 guys showed that they have no heart. They choke when the chips are down. I thought this mental weakness might be covered up by Boston's throng of veterans.

But I have to admit, I was shocked that Danny Boy went out to sign Jermaine. It was in reaction to the "twin towers" in L.A. and not having Perkins. He should have considered Mbenga.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

After he came back from his last injury (the one where he rested and rehabbed for a month), I withheld any opinion on JO because I felt it would be premature until he worked his way back into the system.  At this point, while I feel he can contribute to the C's chances for #18 in 2011, I don't know if his bad knee is going to let him.  And each time he sits for more than a few games, he loses whatever sharpness he has.  That's a shame.
    I don't have much basketball saavy, and here on the west coast, I'm far removed from the action.  But if I can see this, and it's accurate, I'm sure DA is seeing it a lot better.
    DA's not a sentimentalist.  If he sees an opportunity to improve the C's between now and the Feb trading deadline, and JO looks to be a piece in the puzzle, he won't hesitate to make it happen.
    JO used to be 10 times the player he is now.  Pounding up and down on a hardwood floor for a decade takes a toll.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

he's like KG in that he came right out of HS and started putting on NBA miles early in life.  i try not to worry about trades and signing players as much as others on this board, i just try to root for the guys on the team, and he's still on the team, so - I still want to see him get healthy and make a bigger contribution.  you gotta admit - he's still on the team and we should hope he gets better and can play just like everyone wants KG to be healthy and play.

Anyway, they just did an MRI on his knee so - their evaluating the situation.  Even if he goes in for a scoping or whatever can be done, there's time for him to have a minor surgery, rehab, play the end of the season and end up a folk legend in Boston for the ages due to his contribtion to 18. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another JON Post : I think your memory is failing you.  Wallace truly stunk it up in the regular season and made us all crazy.   But, he wasn't too winded in game 7 to go on.  He had a bad back and he played well.  Heck, EVERYONE was winded in that game.  KG I

I agree. Here's what boggles my mind. Not too many on this board want Sheed back but Sheed dressed, on the court, getting techs and hitting 3s is better than expecting JON to play and he not play and be in a suit for 3 weeks. He comes back and then it slows down Semih's development and confidence.

Give me an out of shape Sheed over a Armani suited JON anyday.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

What many are failing to see is we need a big.  Shaq is one tweak from being out and Semih is not a long-term solution this season.  And Perk just isn't walking through that door anytime soon.  When he does, it's going to take awhile for him to be in shape to contribute.  I anticipate Perk being a contributor in late February at the earliest.

Right now, it's Shaq and Semih.  That's it.  We cannot win with that duo and will not get much production from the position.  Both get into foul trouble and we'll end up playing KG heavy minutes at the center.  Right now, we have two centers until sometime in February.

A decision will have to made to either have JON get surgery and hope he is able to return by the end of the season and playoffs OR trade him to a team who will buy him out while sending the Celtics a contract it wants to dump.  That is our only hope.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Give Minnesota 2 #1s and JON for Love or the Grizz for Gasol. Ever since the CWebb deal I know teams can't give 3 consecutive #1 picks, I don't believe it's 2 consecutive picks but 3. If it is 2 I'm fine with that too.

Minn loves to stockpile draft picks.

Those #1s aren't playing for the C's next year or the year after. These guys coming out of college aren't wowing anyone anyway.

Love can play F & PF, he's under contract and you can give him an extension next year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Good points, Petey.

Bias - I like your thinking, but Minnesota is in no way considering giving up Love.  He's arguably their best player and they're already at the bottom of the league without a high team salary.  So, they don't need to save money and they don't need more young players.  They are already in the rebuilding mode.

Grizz won't give up Gasol, either.  Big men are at a premium.  your favorite Camby can be had but that's an expensive solution for an older player.

I bet Andray Blatche could be had.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Celtsfan4life, if we could get Andreay Blatche, we should jump at that.  I think we have a veteran-heavy roster and team-first focus that would really help in the maturity of Blatche.  He's very athletic and long and can stay on the court.

My only hesitation is that he truly isn't a center and I'm not sure he could be a consistent rebounder and defender at that spot and get the numbers he's getting now.  However, I'd take anything near his current 16 points and 8 rebounds per game TODAY.

But at this point, I don't think we can go too much further without obtaining a big.  There is no way Shaq and Semih will hold out until Perk returns.  I promise it won't happen.  I honestly don't see them holding things down for the next week or two.  I heard a report that Shaq did not practice today due to a groin issue.  We have to get a big YESTERDAY.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Its fun to play GM and write about this stuff, but in reality, I have no idea what can be done.  None of us know because its only the GMs that talk to each other and we hear about it third hand (who's available and who's not).  I heard Blatche was a possible trade but who knows if its really true.  And yes, you are right - he's not a center so that doesn't really solve the problem.  

I do agree we need a better (and preferably younger) big.  However, the only thing you might be wrong about is whether or not Shaq and Semih with some help from KG can hold it down until Perk is back.  If they just hold their own a little and our other 4 give us some great D, we might be surprised.  This Celtic team finds a way to hang in there. Come to think of it, Miami survives without a good center and we may have to do the same.

The next 30 days go like this:  Charlotte, Orlando, Detroit, Utah, Washington, Cleveland, Portland, Phoenix, Lakers, Sac, Dallas, Orlando, Charlotte, Lakers, Miami, New Jersey and then the Allstar break.  Seven of those 16 games are tough and Perk will be likely be back for the Lakers and Miami so we may just survive 5 tough ones with Shaq and Semih.

I worry about it, but I'm not as definite as you that we can't survive it.  We may not have a choice, though.  Even a trade takes a week or two to pull off and then it takes a week or two just to get in the groove.  So, it may be the same as waiting for Perk to return, anyway!

Time will tell, huh?  I wonder what Danny's going to do.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Celtsfan4life, both Shaq and Semih have missed time already due to injuries and Shaq is laboring right now.  I definitely don't want to risk KG's health by making him play center.  As fragile as Shaq and Semih are, they won't last.

Shaq and Semih cannot last over the next month.  Neither has played and been effective over the course of a month yet this season.  No reason to believe they will given extensive playing time.  To ask Shaq to play extended minutes is asking for some injury to occur.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I proposed a JON for Blatche swap last week but that's when JON was still playing. Blatche would benefit greatly from being around a guy like KG. Living in DC, Blatche has a reputation of being lazy and soft but then he'll put up 14 & 14 and you see glimpses of his potential.

He'd be better around better more professional players. The atmosphere around DC and the Wiz is horrible for a young guy. Wall will be outta DC when his contract is up if things don't change.