another scenario for Dwight Howard

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LAL 32. Show LAL 32's posts

Re: another scenario for Dwight Howard

Wow, dumbest post I've seen so far.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In Response to another scenario for Dwight Howard:
    [QUOTE]                                  Boston-Clippers-Orlando Boston Pierce to Clippers Bradley, Sully, Melo, 1rd picks and 2nd rd picks(charlotte) to Orlando Clippers Butler, Bledsoe, rd picks to Orlando Orlando Dwight Howard to Boston J-Rich to Clippers
    Posted by The BIG TICKET[/QUOTE]

I would not do that! I guess I am one of the few who thinks DH is not worth it. Guys a head case who cant hit free throws or jump shots. Yeah he is a great rebounder and defender, but clearly not a team leader. I actually hope he goes to the Lakers.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsdateam. Show Patsdateam's posts

let him go to LA. Howard is great, but Bynum is better. LA will know it's mistakes soon.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In Response to another scenario for Dwight Howard:
    [QUOTE]                                  Boston-Clippers-Orlando Boston Pierce to Clippers Bradley, Sully, Melo, 1rd picks and 2nd rd picks(charlotte) to Orlando Clippers Butler, Bledsoe, rd picks to Orlando Orlando Dwight Howard to Boston J-Rich to Clippers
    Posted by The BIG TICKET[/QUOTE]

Not a realistic trade.........

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

And this helps the Celtics how?

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Paul Pierce has a team option for 2013-2014. Let's say the Celtics coax him into declining that option. Would they then have enough money to sign Dwight Howard outright to a max deal? And would they retain Pierce's Bird rights if he opted out, thereby allowing them to sign both Howard and extend Pierce? If not, would they be far enough under the cap to sign Pierce to a creative circumventing MLE contract (6 years/$30 million, with the private understanding that Pierce will only play the first three of those years but will collect all $30 million, effectively making it a 3 year/$30 million deal)? If possible, this would be an ideal scenario for Boston.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Fiercest, are the Celtics over the cap next season even without Paul Pierce? That's the impetus of my question. If Pierce opts out, can Howard be signed to a max deal, and then the Celtics bring Pierce back on a creative MLE?

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I really could care less if the Celtics got Dwight Howard.

Any team that gets him will be happy for a year or two then wish they had him off the books.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

4) Private Understandings are a fantasy.

I disagree. They happen quite often, which is why the new labor deal eliminated the ability of a team to re-sign a recently traded player that was released by the acquiring team on arrival. The Celtics took advantage of that loophole twice back when they had Gary Payton and again with Sam Cassell. More recently, the LeBron James Cleveland Cavaliers did that with Zydrunas Ilgauskas. If I recall correctly, a player could re-sign with the team that traded him after waiting just one month.

I stand corrected on your other three points.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

That is not the same as trying to pay a player under the table or being deceptive like you brought up in point 4.

It's less "under the table" than what the previous CBA allowed. When a player could re-sign with a team 30 days after being traded for salary cap purposes, it seems highly likely that GMs would have told the other team involved in the trade, "Hey, I'm including Player X with the understanding that you're going to immediately release him so that I can bring him back after a month of rest. He's included solely for cap purposes." And then that GM would likely tell Player X, "Don't worry, you're coming back here in a month. I'm sorry I have to do this, but you could use the time off anyway. I'll pay you more next year if you agree to re-sign." Do you really think that scenario never unfolded? It seemed like over half the players who were traded and released would re-sign with their former teams a month later. It happened all the time. That's why the NBA legislated it out of the CBA.

In my 6 year/$30 million MLE proposal, there's no hidden money. The player gets paid the $30 million. It's out in the open. It's just the player, if older like Pierce, likely wouldn't be active for all six of those seasons. If he wanted to be active the whole time, then let him. The team could always release the player and still owe him the money. It would be an effective circumvention of the MLE because it would allow teams to pay people whatever they want, regardless of the cap, by simply tacking on a lot of years. Thus, if a player wanted 3 years/$30 million, but a team could only offer $5 million a season, make it 6 years/$30 million and either release the player in Year 4 (still owing the remainder) or park him on the bench with one of the 13th-15th spots. The league likely forecasted that plenty of teams would utilize such a circumvention, which explains, as you've noted, the three year maximum on MLE contracts.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

In other words, Howard won't be coming to Boston. Let's just hope he doesn't end up on the Lakers. As long as he stays out of Los Angeles, the Celtics might be alright.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

http://www.celticsblog.com/2012/7/30/3201128/real-dwight-howard-trade-rumor

how about this one....  it getting wild ha.ha..

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Rondo could'nt hit fts either...

Sections
Shortcuts