Answer me this: WHY does Pierce become the guard in 4th

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Answer me this: WHY does Pierce become the guard in 4th

Ok. I just don't get this. Pierce is not a good dribbler. Why on earth is he handling the ball in the 4th? Give the ball to Rondo. This has happened for years now. It drives me insane and It is very frustrating. Let the guard handle it. Pierce always coughs up the ball or dribbles off his leg. Classice example tonight. And it may cost the C's the game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: Answer me this: WHY does Pierce become the guard in 4th

I've never understood this, either. Pierce always drives me nuts every time he dribbles the ball.
    Crap. Overtime.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

In Response to Re: Answer me this: WHY does Pierce become the guard in 4th:
    [QUOTE]I've never understood this, either. Pierce always drives me nuts every time he dribbles the ball. Crap. Overtime.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

I agree......he is way too slow and he is a turnover waiting to happen.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHUBBIE99. Show CHUBBIE99's posts

In Response to Answer me this: WHY does Pierce become the guard in 4th:
    [QUOTE]Ok. I just don't get this. Pierce is not a good dribbler. Why on earth is he handling the ball in the 4th? Give the ball to Rondo. This has happened for years now. It drives me insane and It is very frustrating. Let the guard handle it. Pierce always coughs up the ball or dribbles off his leg. Classice example tonight. And it may cost the C's the game.
    Posted by antiqueman1[/QUOTE]Why in the world is rondo taking the last shoot. (wow)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

That's because Pierce wanted to go to overtime so that he can go over 20,000 pts.

HAHAHA!!!

DID THE CELTICS LOSE TONIGHT?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Yea they haven't had much success with Pierce.  Maybe some people should check clutch shots and free throws for players in the closing seconds of a game and see who's name is up there.  I got the feeling it isn't Rondo.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]I got the feeling it isn't Rondo.
    Posted by OneOnOne[/QUOTE]

yep.  sigh.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

When Pierce gets the ball at the end of a quarter or late in the 4th quarter, you can say goodbye to good team ball movement.
       I agree that the team offense is much better with Rondo bringing the ball up.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUMcHale. Show RUMcHale's posts

Rondo taking the last shot???? Soon as he released all I could hear was 'clank'!
    Times like that I wish Deron Williams or CP3 were around. Even Derek Fisher is a million tmes more reliable with a clutch shot.

Rondo= arrrrrrgggghhhhh!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

People act like Pierce turns it over all the time in the 4th.  Yes it happens a lot, but it works more than it doesn't.  People just remember the times it doesn't work and forget about the hundreds of times it does.  I'm sure Doc was just playing the percentages.  They didn't want the ball in Rondo's hands in case he get fouled, I guess.  I also don't like it, but hey, it doesn't look like Doc is going to stop going to Paul, so gotta live with it.  Ray is even worse with the ball in his hands so that wasn't an option.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

Obsessive Rondo bashing

I think you Rondo critics are closeted homosexuals who secretly want to sniff his peritoneum.  Come out of the closet for christ sake, this is Boston; we don't care how queer you are.

I do hate being forced to play 4 against 5.  When Rondo isn't directing the offense he may as well not even be on the floor.  He can crash the boards or set a pick but I'd much rather see him running a pick and roll.  They certainly aren't going to draw up a play for Rondo.

This is reminiscent of Antoine, the wannabe point forward.  Black hole offense.  Genius of Basketball Antoine always wanted to play 4 against 5.

Shoot Rondo shoot.  Shoot more.  Take more shots.  Just shoot whenever you are open unless you see a layup.  Keep shooting. 

Shoot at the end of quarters instead of setting up the Pierce iso with 17 seconds remaining only to watch him stand above the key, left side and do nothing for 9 seconds.  (Tonight Pierce played one nicely in the 2nd period when Ray was WIDE open for a three ball from the left baseline.)  Usually it's a poor percentage shot though, IMO anyway, I'd have to research it. 

But, that kick to Ray Ray was sweet.  Passing becomes infections.  It's another intangible to Rondo's toolbox:  he makes people around him better.  That is the mark of a really great player.

But Rondo should shoot until his hands fall off.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PACelt. Show PACelt's posts

Offense clicking on all cylinders a dunk, 3 back door cutters, and a five point deficit turns into a 5 point lead.  Then we go to the clogged toilet offense.  Next thing you know it's OT.

Why in God's name does Doc do it?  Fierce, we lost at least 15 games last year trying to "protect" the lead with the clogged toilet.  In the OT, Rondo handled the ball except at the end in the guaranteed foul situation.  That's the only percentages that Doc played.  Three years ago Pierce could draw the foul in the "toilet" offense, but not anymore.  It was evident last year with how many leads in the 4th became losses.  The percentages Doc is playing simply don't exist anymore.

I cannot recall us losing a game to the "hack a Rondo" defense. 

TIME FOR DOC TO FLUSH THE TOILET FOR GOOD AND GO WITH THE GOOD CELTIC HALF COURT OFFENSE!!!

PA

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

This is at the juncture of the game when our point guard demands the ball and he is the one who places the ball in the hands of the player who will give us the best chance to win. Last night's ugly display of PP going into his Curly O'Neal act only to get stripped was pathetic and Doc should be held accountable for that crap. Rondo is the point guard Doc....let him be one from the opening tip to the final buzzer.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Rondo had the last shot in regulation because every Buck backed off of him. It's either they would let Rondo shoot from the outside or send him to the FT line. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PACelt. Show PACelt's posts

[QUOTE]Rondo had the last shot in regulation because every Buck backed off of him. It's either they would let Rondo shoot from the outside or send him to the FT line. 
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

Actually, I believe the play was to screen roll Garnet to the basket and Bogut defended it rather well, so Rondo had to take the shot.

PA

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from existentialparquet. Show existentialparquet's posts

[QUOTE]That's because Pierce wanted to go to overtime so that he can go over 20,000 pts. HAHAHA!!! DID THE CELTICS LOSE TONIGHT?
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]
     and get rondo his "record."

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bwijr. Show bwijr's posts

I certainly agree that Pierce doesn't have the smooth handle that is ideal in end of game situations: However -- Rondo can't be trusted to make end of game foul shots !!  The situation is different in end of quarter situations since the other team can be assured that they will get the ball back before the game ends.  Morever, Rondo shouldn't be put into the situation wherein he loses the game at the foul line.  There is no HacK-a-Rondo strategy employed at quarter's end because there is no compelling need to waste a foul -- at the end of a game the strategic imperative is entirely different.   

Considering other alternatives, Ray Ray is not at his best when handling the ball in traffic and 'getting his own shot'  -- much like Larry Bird, he is better receiving the ball on the move and heaving up a quick shot or spotting up for a three or beating his man one on one when the defense isn't packed in the lane (as they are in these situations -- as much to deny the rebound and prevent the 'into the post pass' as to prevent the drive to the bucket).  Paul is much more likely to maintain his drive & the ball and be awarded foul shots.

These same situations do not favor Rondo either -- how many times have you seen him drive to the hoop in this situation, when the defense is set; Rondo is expert at finding seams in the retreating or rotating defense when the defenders don't realize that he is quick enough to streak through an opening they don't perceive.  In these situations, Rondo usually winds up heaving up an outside shot.  And, that is fine -- he needs to develop that ability in that situation.  However, with the game on the line, that is not the best available option.

Lastly, the idea behind dribbling out the clock is because you don't want the other team to get off the last shot.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Answer me this: WHY does Pierce become the guard in 4th : Actually, I believe the play was to screen roll Garnet to the basket and Bogut defended it rather well, so Rondo had to take the shot. PA
    Posted by PACelt[/QUOTE]

That's the point, if Rondo was a good shooter Bogut would not have backed off. If that was Ray Allen or Delonte West in there, instead of Rondo, the Bucks would never have backed off. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from chriscav81. Show chriscav81's posts

last night rondo had sore feet, at least lets us know why pierce was taking it up in the 4th. rondo's magical feet needed a rest. and they are magical...

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4677788/happy-feet

also PP is the best scorer in C's history, Larry couldn't slash or cut. digg it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stupideeediot. Show Stupideeediot's posts

49% FG
    52% 3PT
    93% FT

And you guys are complaining that he has the ball TOO MUCH?   Let's be realistic... he doesn't need to be the best ballhandler or dribbler in the NBA when he can hit shots from anywhere and basically get a foul at will.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]Offense clicking on all cylinders a dunk, 3 back door cutters, and a five point deficit turns into a 5 point lead.  Then we go to the clogged toilet offense.  Next thing you know it's OT. Why in God's name does Doc do it?  Fierce, we lost at least 15 games last year trying to "protect" the lead with the clogged toilet.  In the OT, Rondo handled the ball except at the end in the guaranteed foul situation.  That's the only percentages that Doc played.  Three years ago Pierce could draw the foul in the "toilet" offense, but not anymore.  It was evident last year with how many leads in the 4th became losses.  The percentages Doc is playing simply don't exist anymore. I cannot recall us losing a game to the "hack a Rondo" defense.  TIME FOR DOC TO FLUSH THE TOILET FOR GOOD AND GO WITH THE GOOD CELTIC HALF COURT OFFENSE!!! PA
    Posted by PACelt[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%

PP's iso's and foul line picknrolls have been figured out by opposing teams. Worse yet is ref's arent falling for his flailing arms and giving him the calls anymore. Also, in these situations, defenders slide over from the weakside where Pierce is always vulnerable and swipe the ball away.

THe entire sequence has been debunked since last year yet we continue to go to it.  In the game-on-the-line situation, opposing teams know just what to do and they usually squash it.  Sometimes I just think Pierce needs to be fed these and other situations to keep his ego intact and thats why DOc calls it..

That said, I think Pierce looks in great shape and will have a real good season. I dont know the %'s, but seems like his FT and 3pt shooting have really improved too

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Answer me this: WHY does Pierce become the guard in 4th : Rondo was 7-10 from the field. He had like 15 assists. What more do you want from the point guard. Keep the ball in his hands. Like someone esle said, if they(Bucks) wanted to they could have fouled Rondo off the ball.
    Posted by antiqueman1[/QUOTE]

you can't keep the ball in "his hands" if he is so nervous from the possibility of being fouled a la shack hack.  that is why rondo doesn't handle the ball inside 2 minutes much in close games. 

here is what MORE i want from a pg than just 7-10 shooting and 15 dimes- a '48 minute point guard' who you can depend on in pressure situations instead of shoveling playmaking and scoring duties onto a pierce that is too old to do it any more.

until rondo is a 48 minute point guard, he's not worth much, fancy dishes, stats, what have you included.  we could get by just fine with a less flashy pg who is there all 48.  russell westbrook would be soooo much better than rondo for this team.  until rondo is the 48 minute PG that he should have been 3 years ago, he ranks in the upper middle of the pack of point guards.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE] I cannot recall us losing a game to the "hack a Rondo" defense.  
    Posted by PACelt[/QUOTE]

Last season, December 27, 2009, Boston@LAC, where Baron Davis hit that fade away jumper for the win. With 8.5 secs. remaining Rondo had the ball and got fouled with 1.5 secs. remaining. He missed both FTs and Clips get the rebound with 1 sec. remaining. After a timeout Baron Davis wins it for the Clips.  

Sections
Shortcuts