Anthony Parker........a Celtic

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Re: Anthony Parker........a Celtic

The ONLY question mark I have is with his age.  He is a durable player who takes very good care of his body.  He plays defense and is a "dead-eye" perimeter shooter.  And I think we could afford him.

Again, the ONLY question mark I have is his age.  Now, a 50 game schedule would greatly benefit Parker.

If we're talking about a NUMBER 3 SG, I say YES.  Honestly, I might even say yes if he were slated to be Ray's backup.  He WILL stay on the court and he will contribute.

I think Parker would be a good pickup.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I'm saying no way.

We don't have to take scraps anymore. We've got 3 guys undr contract past this year...Rondo, PP and Bradley, that's it! It's time to start looking for players to build around. We can get through a 50 game season with a few minor additions and hope the Big 3 can hold up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

BiasLewis, I can't argue your point other than to say we can sign Parker to a one year contract with a "team option" for a second year.  But you are right that, at some point, we need to start building for the future.

I just don't see too many young, skilled players who would be willing to accept the veteran's minimum (which is about all we can offer) for a year.

I don't think the Celtics will go after anyone NOW who will be a hit on the cap AFTER NEXT SEASON.  I think Green and Baby will probably be two signees who will make a splash this offseason in the $5 - $8 million per year range.  I also think Delonte will sign for more than the veteran's minimum.

I think our best approach may be to sign some durable, capable vets for one year who can contribute because you will probably not find the same type of player who is 26 and willing to accept the veteran's minimum.

I call those types of players "Delonte West-type" players.  These guys are talented, young and low salaried players who won't command anything near $3 million per year yet they can play a prominent role on the team.  There just aren't too many "Delonte West-type" players available on the market.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

In Response to Re: Anthony Parker........a Celtic:
    BiasLewis, I can't argue your point other than to say we can sign Parker to a one year contract with a "team option" for a second year.  But you are right that, at some point, we need to start building for the future. I just don't see too many young, skilled players who would be willing to accept the veteran's minimum (which is about all we can offer) for a year. I don't think the Celtics will go after anyone NOW who will be a hit on the cap AFTER NEXT SEASON.  I think Green and Baby will probably be two signees who will make a splash this offseason in the $5 - $8 million per year range.  I also think Delonte will sign for more than the veteran's minimum. I think our best approach may be to sign some durable, capable vets for one year who can contribute because you will probably not find the same type of player who is 26 and willing to accept the veteran's minimum. I call those types of players "Delonte West-type" players.  These guys are talented, young and low salaried players who won't command anything near $3 million per year yet they can play a prominent role on the team.  There just aren't too many "Delonte West-type" players available on the market.
    Posted by Petey62

Petey, you have a point but I think Ainge has set himself up very well going in and coming out of the lockout. The CBA is going to look very different and guys are going to have to take less money.

I think we're still in pre-lockout mode, which is expected. It's going to be a shock to the system for most players and for those GMs that haven't prepared for it (ahem Lakers:too many long term contracts) it's going to hurt them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

No thanks..........I'd rather Doc give a shot to his sister - or E'twan Moore!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

No thanks..........I'd rather Doc give a shot to his sister - or E'twan Moore!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11

It's a 15 man roster.  There isn't a team in the NBA that wouldn't put Anthony Parker on its 15 man roster if the price was right.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

In Response to Re: Anthony Parker........a Celtic : It's a 15 man roster.  There isn't a team in the NBA that wouldn't put Anthony Parker on its 15 man roster if the price was right.
    Posted by snakeoil123

snakeoil123, you "aint neva lied".  That's it right there.  Anthony Parker can help the Celtics and we all know eventually E'twan Moore will be relegated to a seat at the end of the bench.  But there is not a team in the NBA that would not sign him for the right price.  And it's obvious (agree with BiasLewis) contracts are going to be structured differently so Parker just may have to sign for the minimum if he wants to contend for a ring.  If so, I think he'd be a great pickup for the Celtics.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

BiasLewis, I can't argue your point other than to say we can sign Parker to a one year contract with a "team option" for a second year.  But you are right that, at some point, we need to start building for the future. I just don't see too many young, skilled players who would be willing to accept the veteran's minimum (which is about all we can offer) for a year. I don't think the Celtics will go after anyone NOW who will be a hit on the cap AFTER NEXT SEASON.  I think Green and Baby will probably be two signees who will make a splash this offseason in the $5 - $8 million per year range.  I also think Delonte will sign for more than the veteran's minimum. I think our best approach may be to sign some durable, capable vets for one year who can contribute because you will probably not find the same type of player who is 26 and willing to accept the veteran's minimum. I call those types of players "Delonte West-type" players.  These guys are talented, young and low salaried players who won't command anything near $3 million per year yet they can play a prominent role on the team.  There just aren't too many "Delonte West-type" players available on the market.
    Posted by Petey62

I like the idea that Parker might not have taken as much wear and tear playing in slower and less physical European leagues

Kobe is the same age, but Kobe really beat up his body driving the lane and playing world class defense for over a decade of NBA play.

I'd say Parker's odometer isn't too high despite his age.  He can still be serviceable and reliable.  He doesn't have the reputation for breaking down like Shaq did.

Parker and Grant Hill would both suit the same role, with Parker as the healthier of the two.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from deanocelt. Show deanocelt's posts

We need a couple a yutes. Cousin Vinny

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

deanocelt, we may not be able to get a couple "yutes" willing to accept the vet minimum who can contriute like a player like Parker can.

We have to look at it like this.  Which of these scenarios are most likely?  Sign a veteran player willing to accept the veteran's minimum who can provide quality minutes and stay healthy enough to be in the rotatation.  Or sign a young player willing to accept the veteran's minimum who can provide quality minutes and stay healthy enough to be in the rotatation.

The most likely scenario is signing a veteran player under those circumstances.  Any young player who is decent will never sign for the minimum as long as there is a team out there who will offer more than that.

Even coming out of the lockout with new salary structures (for players) and restrictions/limits (on teams), the Celtics are not going to be any better off than pre-lockout.  The salaries currently on the books are going to still be there.  So since 26 or 27 other teams have more money to spend, we still won't be able to make offers significant enough to attract young, talented players.

Post-lockout, all players will sign with the team offering the most money.  The only players who will sign with a team for a ring will be the old veteran player. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

if parker had ANYTHING LEFT last year after lebron flew the coop, he would have average 12 or 13 a game on that miserable team.  instead he stank.  and that was on a bad team.  anyone remember the "dennis hopson effect".  mmm hmmm.  i don't know how you could ever consider ant parker over von wafer who is 247 years younger, can run and score in bursts.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

yawn...seriously we can't be getting excited about someone who at best would warm the pine and come in for spot playing time? 

I kind of prefer the "Nash to Rondo" type wacko stuff to the blandness of a Anthony Parker discussion. One reason? It's not like we're one Anthony Parker away from a championship right now. This is bringing me back to times where we used to get excited about players like Dana Barros

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

Love it that boston picks up old Lakers in the belief they can help. Remind me, how'd snaq work out?!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

yawn...seriously we can't be getting excited about someone who at best would warm the pine and come in for spot playing time?  I kind of prefer the "Nash to Rondo" type wacko stuff to the blandness of a Anthony Parker discussion. One reason? It's not like we're one Anthony Parker away from a championship right now. This is bringing me back to times where we used to get excited about players like Dana Barros
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker

Thanks, man.  I like that trade too for some reason.....:)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

yawn...seriously we can't be getting excited about someone who at best would warm the pine and come in for spot playing time?  I kind of prefer the "Nash to Rondo" type wacko stuff to the blandness of a Anthony Parker discussion. One reason? It's not like we're one Anthony Parker away from a championship right now. This is bringing me back to times where we used to get excited about players like Dana Barros
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker

It's not called getting excited.  It's called talking basketball.  If you only want to talk about famous players that's cool, but don't troll the rest of us that like talking about the Anthony Parker's of the world.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

At one time Anthony Parker was one of the better support players in the league.  Right now he is about 36 years old.  Last year he played smart but old for the Cavaliers.  A very nice guy, but the Celtics shouldn't waste their time.

Sections
Shortcuts