anyone else agrees that REGGIE was better than PIERCE?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Re: anyone else agrees that REGGIE was better than PIERCE?

I loved Reggie, but Pierce was better.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

i love reggie ti'll this day...pierce was a better 3point shooter...if i had to start a team and they said you had to pick one...i'd take reggie over and over...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

If we're talking about Reggie Lewis, I cant see what the debate is...

Lewis was an emerging star it seemed to me... but he didnt play very long and never reached his potential due to his health.

PP was star & clutch player for the C's for many, many years.. not even close... 

Youre measuring potential vs accomplishments... Pierce wins in landslide

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

Lewis was an emerging star it seemed to me... but he didnt play very long and never reached his potential due to his health.

PP was star & clutch player for the C's for many, many years.. not even close... 

due to his health? the guy died..he was an all-star when he passed...lewis would have scored alot of points also...pierce had to score he was the man..lewis was around bird parish and mchale..he would have become the man if he did not passaway..it's hard to say...but i love reggie...and i love pierce...but i take reggie...

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

In response to Karllost's comment:

due to his health? the guy died..he was an all-star when he passed...lewis would have scored alot of points also...pierce had to score he was the man..lewis was around bird parish and mchale..he would have become the man if he did not passaway..it's hard to say...but i love reggie...and i love pierce...but i take reggie...

I think I'd take Reggie too.  He was not a 3 point threat, but he was a more effecient scorer than Pierce.  Reggie's worst field goal percentage was 47%.  Pierce would kill for a career field goal percentage of 47%.  Reggie was a great player who died just as he was about to enter his prime years.  People forget too,  Reggie was a big time playoff performer as well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

reggie lewis any day! he could bring cs to multiple c'ships. he knows how to defend mj.

he is the true rival of mj if he wasnt passed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

when lewis stoped on a dime and swish...his game was unreal....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQTFpXgEVw0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBxSHS1owiU

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shamrock1000. Show shamrock1000's posts

Weird post... Pierce proved he was one of the best of his generation - a shoe-in HOFer and all time great. Reggie was super likable, clearly had potential, and was lost to us in an almost incomprehensible tragedy - but to say you'd take him over Pierce?? smh...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

In response to shamrock1000's comment:

Weird post... Pierce proved he was one of the best of his generation - a shoe-in HOFer and all time great. Reggie was super likable, clearly had potential, and was lost to us in an almost incomprehensible tragedy - but to say you'd take him over Pierce?? smh...

reggie's lowest fg pct was 47%. he could utilize MJ during his prime.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

I think Pierce, a 9 time All Star, Finals MVP, and a future Hall of Famer shoo-in, was better by most every standard.  

Longevity, Championships, and Statiscally.  Taking Reggie's 5 best seasons (1 time All Star - 20%) vs Paul's 14 years (9 time All Star - 64%):

PPG:  PP = 22   RL = 19

RPG:  PP = 6     RL = 4.6

APG   PP = 4     RL = 2.7

FG%  PP = .447  RL = .489

3Pt% PP = .37    RL = .20

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

if a frog had wings...

who would have been a better basketball player:  Sun King Louis XIV or opera great Luciano Pavarotti?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to shines01's comment:

who would have been a better basketball player:  Sun King Louis XIV or opera great Luciano Pavarotti?

This is an excellent question and one that I have given much thought.

Although one may be tempted to pick Louis XIV because of his competitiveness as demonstrated by his aggressiveness in the the Franco-Dutch War, or his commitment and perssistance in the decades old War of Spainish Succession, He had almost no vertical leap and refused to play any D whatsoever.  I mean none.  And most important, was his questionable health which would have limitd his play (especially his anal fistula (and I quote):

"...evidence exists to suggest that Louis's health was not all that good. He had many ailments, for example, that are symptomatic of diabetes, suppurating periostitis in 1678, dental abscesses in 1696, along with recurring boils, fainting spells, goutdizziness, hot flushes, and headaches (cephalalgias). On 18 November 1686, Louis underwent a painful operation for an anal fistula that was performed by the surgeon Charles Felix de Tassy, who prepared a specially-shaped curved scalpel for the occasion. The wound took more than two months to heal." 

So although Paverotti is excessively fat, and also has no vertical leap, given his powerful vocals, he would be an effective trash talker and his girth could at least block the lane underneath.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

I believe it was Mae West....no wait, it was Mahatma Gandhi who said:  "is that a banana in your pocket 'cause if it is I'm frikkin starving!"

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to shines01's comment:

I believe it was Mae West....no wait, it was Mahatma Gandhi who said:  "is that a banana in your pocket 'cause if it is I'm frikkin starving!"

That would be Jason Collins.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

In response to TheBigTicket05's comment:

reggie lewis any day! he could bring cs to multiple c'ships. he knows how to defend mj.

he is the true rival of mj if he wasnt passed.

agree, Reggie would have been the one to be that rival Jordan never had.  Not through Jordans entire career like Bird an Magic were, Reggie came in the league 4 years later.  But from 91 through Jordan's greatest stretch of dominance.  

From '89 to '93, Reggie was one of only 6 players that met a certain barometer of numbers across stats.  The other five were Barkley, Malone, Jordan, Mullens, Drexler.  Hall of fame, no doubt about it.  

Reggie was connected to the city in a way Pierce never even came close to.  Pierce woke up later in his career, but his "connection" felt a little too "p.r. firm" to me.  And no offense to Pierce, Reggie was just different, special.  The more I think about it, Reggie would have eaten Pierce up.  

Reggie never had a technical foul his entire career, high school, college, or pro's.  NO one, not even Jordan could rattle him mentally.  Reggie actually rattled Jordan.  He's on my all time Celtic team from '80 on, at the 2.  Pierce gets the pine behind Bird at the 3. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from scash2013. Show scash2013's posts

It took me 5 or 6 posts to realize you people weren't talking about Reggie Miller.

You want to compare Reggie Lewis to Paul Pierce? Reggie Lewis? You are seriously comparing the most clutch Celtic since Larry Bird, Finals MVP and one of the greatest Celtics of all time to Reggie Lewis?

Pierce has always been underrated nationally and even by some of the less knowledgeable Celtics fans. But this is insane.

I'm speechless.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shamrock1000. Show shamrock1000's posts

In response to scash2013's comment:

It took me 5 or 6 posts to realize you people weren't talking about Reggie Miller.

You want to compare Reggie Lewis to Paul Pierce? Reggie Lewis? You are seriously comparing the most clutch Celtic since Larry Bird, Finals MVP and one of the greatest Celtics of all time to Reggie Lewis?

Pierce has always been underrated nationally and even by some of the less knowledgeable Celtics fans. But this is insane.

I'm speechless.

Thank you for some sanity!!! Jackie Mac wrote a nice tribute to Reggie, and referenced one good game Reggie had against Jordan, and all of a sudden he is a nearly equal rival of Jordan's? Come on. Its really sad that some people here witnessed a truly great Celtic (Pierce), but don't seem to quite realize it. And this is no knock on Reggie, he might have been a great player, but we just don't know.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

No, although I guess he may have grown to be equal over time...but boo.

and to say he was a more efficient scorer?  Again, no.  I suppose Paul's career numbers for percentage might be deflated by the years he was the only option.  Paul has been the best natural scorer not named Kobe over the past 15 years as a whole.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from scash2013. Show scash2013's posts

In response to shamrock1000's comment:

In response to scash2013's comment:

[QUOTE]

I'm speechless.

Thank you for some sanity!!! Jackie Mac wrote a nice tribute to Reggie, and referenced one good game Reggie had against Jordan, and all of a sudden he is a nearly equal rival of Jordan's? Come on. Its really sad that some people here witnessed a truly great Celtic (Pierce), but don't seem to quite realize it. And this is no knock on Reggie, he might have been a great player, but we just don't know.

[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong. I liked Lewis. As a kid, I used to use his runner all the time on the court. And it would have been interesting  to see what he turned into.

But just the clutch factor alone puts Pierce on a different level. The guy was a stone cold assassain. Maye some of you guys will undertsand that, this year, when you have softies like Jeff Green running around. Or the brick layer  (Rondo) with the ball in the final seconds. Seriously, who are they even going to give the ball to in the clutch? They have nobody. Their only hope will be to try and force the ball inside.

I liked Kevin Gamble. But I'm not comparing him to Celtics greats.

I was on another forum, and some clown was comparing Kelly Olynk (or however it's spelled) to Larry Bird! I don't know where people get some of these ideas. Drugs? I don't know. But it's crazy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from heirplain. Show heirplain's posts

In response to ImagydSportsForTwitter's comment:

LIKE ME some pp but reggie had it all. great defender, could pass and was simply unstoppable with more efficiency!pp IS A BETTER long bomber but reggie was so silky from mid-range and was a better finisher. i would ewen put len bias ahead of pp in terms of potential. as they say though, awailability is the first ability. reggie took chances that took that away from him.. pp lucked out in that knife issue.. sometimes being lucky is better. hey congrats to paul.. something to be said for longetiwity! he actually did it. methinks reggie could hawe been a top5 playa for years and we could hawe been working on banner #22 by now.

I liked Reggie but give it up..no comparison at least in the final analysis! PP is a legend..RL was a great player.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

I just dont see a comparison when it comes to greatness...

Reggie passed away and now hes become  a legendary Celtic.... but cmon.. I loved his game but you just cannot measure up his career to PP and not come away with a lopsided scale..

Reggie was maybe on his way... theres been plenty of players that fit that category that never reached their potential or anything near what PP has accomplished..and just because MJ said Reggie played some tough defense on him, doesnt mean Reggie is a HOFer... hey, how about Michael Cooper, that skinny short forward/g on the Lakers.. who gave Larry a tougher time than him??

Reggie just wasnt there yet and maybe never would have been.... nobody can say.. He had the tools and showed it on the court but too short and not enough on his resume to stack up to someone like PP imo

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

In response to ImagydSportsForTwitter's comment:

In response to Eldunker's comment:

[QUOTE]

I think Pierce, a 9 time All Star, Finals MVP, and a future Hall of Famer shoo-in, was better by most every standard.  

Longevity, Championships, and Statiscally.  Taking Reggie's 5 best seasons (1 time All Star - 20%) vs Paul's 14 years (9 time All Star - 64%):

PPG:  PP = 22   RL = 19

RPG:  PP = 6     RL = 4.6

APG   PP = 4     RL = 2.7

FG%  PP = .447  RL = .489

3Pt% PP = .37    RL = .20

ok jabro, show me pp's stats for the SAME period in his career, willing to bet they are no where near reggie's. also reggie's stats and game still were peaking. he would have pushed his average to aound 25 ppg, assists to 5.4 and definitely his boards would have gone up as well. the man was about to b what rondo is today without any of the past to distract him or defer to. love pp, may stii take him over reggie.. but just sayin... pp is a clear Class B  elite in the other reggie,Mchale and dirk category (not too shabby). garnett, kobe, Bird duncan, Mj, shaq, Bron are in a different class (Group A, with degrees of grades to A+ for Mj and bron). my point is that REGGIE LEWIS' upside would have put him in the GRADE A CATEGORY AND POSSIBLY even made him an A+ PT playa babeee.

pierce simply wasnt blessed with the physical gifts that would allow him to sustain that level over any sustained lenght. noone did more with less than the captain. full respect! but reggie was special as a physical marvel. he could clearly outjump, outexplode and outquick pierce. to be blunt though, pp had slightly more heart (in more ways than one)...

[/QUOTE]

agreed!

Sections
Shortcuts