anyone else feels old now that HILL+KIDD are getting off the stage? r both HOF'rs?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CommyContrarianOnTwitter. Show CommyContrarianOnTwitter's posts

anyone else feels old now that HILL+KIDD are getting off the stage? r both HOF'rs?

kinda depressed though i saw it coming. both guys got every inch from their careers, give all they got. never saw hill being able to go 18 years after all those foot issues . i think when u combine both his college and pro career, g-hill is a definite second ballot HOF'r. kidd should walk in the first ballot. some rough patches with alcie and his wife running into his fists, but overall was a productive guy and player. at end, he had nothin for the knicks. still classy for he could have hung on for atleast another year with some guaranteed $ still coming to him in a juwan howard type of role.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Re: anyone else feels old now that HILL+KIDD are getting off the stage? r both HOF'rs?

hill is not HOF.

kidd i suppose is. 

i felt old a long time ago.  i don't really have any nostalgic attachment to these two.  kidd obviously should have hung it up 2 years back and hill probably the same

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Re: anyone else feels old now that HILL+KIDD are getting off the stage? r both HOF'rs?

I agree.  Kidd for sure but I don't feel hill had enough all star years.  Sure, he had the talent, but lots of guys are off the list due to injury.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

Kidd is a definite hall of fame player.  He's probably a top 10 point guard of all time.  Grant Hill was on his way, but, sadly, was derailed due to injury.  I would say he's not really a hall of famer, but, the NBA hall of fame is pretty easy to get into, so maybe.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

Ralph Sampson's in the hall of fame and he only had really 3 good seasons, so Hill should probably get in.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

THE DUKE

Kidd yes (although I've never been a fan)

Hill no (although he would've been had he stayed healthy...just my opinion...)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

Yes !

I was doing my Military service in the DFW area in the early 90's and got to watch Jason Kidd as a rookie and as part of the "Three J's" era for the Mavericks.....that team coulda, woulda, shoulda.....but it was all torpedoed by ROY TARPLEY'S insatiable appetite for cocaine , alcohol and strippers......BONUS POINTS: name the 2 other J's !

Then I found myself living in Arizona soon after Jason Kidd got traded to the Suns and was able to watch his incredible career here until the unfortunate incident with his wife.....Bonus Points 2: who was Jason Kidd traded for when he went to the Suns ?

One of the most entertaining basketball teams I've ever watched was the late 90's Phoenix Suns , which reached it's peak when they acquired another superstar to pair with Kidd , known as "Backcourt 2000" , this Phoenix Suns team featured Kevin Johnson, Tom Gugliotta , Rodney Rodgers, Tony Delk, Tom Chambers....Bonus Poins 3: who was the "superstar" the Suns added to play alongside Jason Kidd for "Backcourt 2000"......injuries ruined what could have been a championship team (along with a phantom foul against The Lakers) for the Suns , but when that "Backcourt 2000" team was full strength , they were one of the greatest run and gun teams EVER !

Of all the NBA players I've watched over the years , JASON KIDD comes closest to the FULL SPECTRUM DOMINANCE style of game that LARRY BIRD gave the Celtics game after game after game.......YES, IT's TRUE. As a lifelong Celtics fan, no other player reminded me more of Larry Bird's "every night MVP" game more than Jason Kidd......

Jason Kidd was the main man, the QB , the MVP , The Force , the PaceSetter, The Playmaker, the Heart And Soul of every team he played for for the first 16 years of his career. He was the #1 player on the New Jersey Nets teams that went to the Finals back to back, #3 all time in 3pt shooting for a guy who supposedly couldn't shoot.....Jason Kidd had a will to win I've never seen matched by any other player except Larry Bird, Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant

I've had these thoughts about Jason Kidd since his rookie year and I've never read or heard any other basketball expert make the same comparison, but I'll make it now: NO OTHER PLAYER REMINDED ME MORE OF LARRY BIRD THAN JASON KIDD.

IN MY MIND , JASON KIDD WAS BORN TO BE A BOSTON CELTIC........WE CAN ALL FANTASIZE ABOUT WHAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN IF THE PING PONG BALLS LANDED RIGHT  AND TIM DUNCAN WAS DRAFTED BY THE CELTICS  , BUT NO PLAYER I'VE EVER SEEN REPRESENTED THE BOSTON CELTICS PRIDE AND WINNING WAYS MORE THAN JASON KIDD.

TO THIS DAY, I STILL CRINGE WHEN I THINK OF THE SCUZZBALLS WHO VERBALLY ASSAULTED JASON KIDD'S WIFE AND CHILD DURING THAT PLAYOFF GAME......THE WORST AND UGLIEST BLACK EYE FOR THE PEOPLE OF BOSTON SINCE THE BUSING CRISIS OF 1975-1976

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to teejaytee70's comment:

Ralph Sampson's in the hall of fame and he only had really 3 good seasons, so Hill should probably get in.

Excellent point. If you look at their per-game averages for their careers, Hill  has the edge in ppg (16.7 to 15.4), Sampson in rebounding (8.8 to 6.0), Hill in assists (4.1 to 2.3).  Sampson averaged over 20 ppg in two seasons; Hill did in five seasons. Sampson played in four All-Star games; Hill played in seven.

My first reaction to this question was yes for Kidd,  no for Hill. But if Ralph Sampson is in, Grant Hill  should be.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

THE DUKE

Ralph Sampson is not in the Hall of Fame as an NBA player....it was based on his college accolades...take a look at who was inducted with him in 2012...

http://tracking.si.com/2012/04/02/naismith-hall-of-fame-announces-2012-inductees/

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I understand that, Duke, but looking at the whole picture Grant Hill's career is at least comparable to Ralph Sampson's.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

THE DUKE

Lloyd, I agree with you....in fact, overall I think that Grant Hill was a better player over the course of their combined college and pro careers.....two different position players so it's hard to compare them....but so many people (Red included) thought that Sampson would be a superstar and a hall of fame game changer....he disapointed everyone....especially when he almost got decked by Jerry Sichting....Hill was a classier individual and a more talented overall player...again, just my opinion...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

In response to Duke4's comment:

THE DUKE

Ralph Sampson is not in the Hall of Fame as an NBA player....it was based on his college accolades...take a look at who was inducted with him in 2012...

http://tracking.si.com/2012/04/02/naismith-hall-of-fame-announces-2012-inductees/

If they are going to induct people based on college accomplishments, then Christian Laettner should be a shoe in.  Hill was no slouch in college, either.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Commy, Im impressed you saw both these retirements coming...lol

Kidd was the stud PG for several years and made it to the finals with the Nets. Just think about what I just said...with the Nets! That alone should make you automatic HOF..  Kidd was fun to watch and he did it all and brought everyones game up...well not all, his 3ball came along later on.

Hill was always that good player on a not so good team. I dont know what his playoff history is so theres a hint. Very talented but never a concern.. In my HOF, hes not getting in.

The NBA should make an Elite HOF and get rid of all these other players...

Russell, Bird, Hondo from the C's and thats it.

Wilt, Barkley and DrJ from the 6ers..

Shaq, Kobe, Magic, West & Baylor from the Lakers.

Clyde & Ewing from the Knicks

MJ from the Bulls

Hayes and the Pearl from the Bullets

Isiah from the Pistons

Oscar from Cinn

kareem from the Bucks

Gervin & Duncan from the Spurs

maybe Pistol

Cant think of anymore

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fields4. Show Fields4's posts

Olajuwon - Houston Rockets

Malone, Stockton - Utah Jazz

Rick Barry - Golden State Warriors

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CommyContrarianOnTwitter. Show CommyContrarianOnTwitter's posts

In response to Duke4's comment:

THE DUKE

BINGO! there is no nba hall of fame.. its a basketball hall of fame. this is y women get in from the old days aswell as INTERNATIONAL guys like oscar schmidt. Grant is a LOCK! overall, better career than sampson and comparable with all those accolades in college! plus he never got dominated or dunked on by a ewing in college! he was the MAN!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

No. I felt old when Cowens retired.  I was depressed during Bird's final "back" years.  I have no response to either player's retirement except that Kidd should have made a graceful exit four years ago.  

"They don't put Ws and Ls on the paychecks" - Sidney Wicks

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to PHX85014's comment:

Yes !

I was doing my Military service in the DFW area in the early 90's and got to watch Jason Kidd as a rookie and as part of the "Three J's" era for the Mavericks.....that team coulda, woulda, shoulda.....but it was all torpedoed by ROY TARPLEY'S insatiable appetite for cocaine , alcohol and strippers......BONUS POINTS: name the 2 other J's !

Then I found myself living in Arizona soon after Jason Kidd got traded to the Suns and was able to watch his incredible career here until the unfortunate incident with his wife.....Bonus Points 2: who was Jason Kidd traded for when he went to the Suns ?

One of the most entertaining basketball teams I've ever watched was the late 90's Phoenix Suns , which reached it's peak when they acquired another superstar to pair with Kidd , known as "Backcourt 2000" , this Phoenix Suns team featured Kevin Johnson, Tom Gugliotta , Rodney Rodgers, Tony Delk, Tom Chambers....Bonus Poins 3: who was the "superstar" the Suns added to play alongside Jason Kidd for "Backcourt 2000"......injuries ruined what could have been a championship team (along with a phantom foul against The Lakers) for the Suns , but when that "Backcourt 2000" team was full strength , they were one of the greatest run and gun teams EVER !

Of all the NBA players I've watched over the years , JASON KIDD comes closest to the FULL SPECTRUM DOMINANCE style of game that LARRY BIRD gave the Celtics game after game after game.......YES, IT's TRUE. As a lifelong Celtics fan, no other player reminded me more of Larry Bird's "every night MVP" game more than Jason Kidd......

Jason Kidd was the main man, the QB , the MVP , The Force , the PaceSetter, The Playmaker, the Heart And Soul of every team he played for for the first 16 years of his career. He was the #1 player on the New Jersey Nets teams that went to the Finals back to back, #3 all time in 3pt shooting for a guy who supposedly couldn't shoot.....Jason Kidd had a will to win I've never seen matched by any other player except Larry Bird, Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant

I've had these thoughts about Jason Kidd since his rookie year and I've never read or heard any other basketball expert make the same comparison, but I'll make it now: NO OTHER PLAYER REMINDED ME MORE OF LARRY BIRD THAN JASON KIDD.

IN MY MIND , JASON KIDD WAS BORN TO BE A BOSTON CELTIC........WE CAN ALL FANTASIZE ABOUT WHAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN IF THE PING PONG BALLS LANDED RIGHT  AND TIM DUNCAN WAS DRAFTED BY THE CELTICS  , BUT NO PLAYER I'VE EVER SEEN REPRESENTED THE BOSTON CELTICS PRIDE AND WINNING WAYS MORE THAN JASON KIDD.

TO THIS DAY, I STILL CRINGE WHEN I THINK OF THE SCUZZBALLS WHO VERBALLY ASSAULTED JASON KIDD'S WIFE AND CHILD DURING THAT PLAYOFF GAME......THE WORST AND UGLIEST BLACK EYE FOR THE PEOPLE OF BOSTON SINCE THE BUSING CRISIS OF 1975-1976

Jamal Mashburn and Jimmy Jackson to answer the trivia

BTW Tarpley's coke use ruined the late 80's Mavs, not the mid 90's three J's Mav's. Tarp was 30 and made a 1 season cameo with the three J's before being done. He ruined things for Aguirre, Schrempf, Derek Harper, Blackmon and Sam Perkins from 87-91. Those teams could have taken over from the Lakers when Kareem retired if Tarp wasn't a drug abuser.

The thousands of Jersey fans who brought disgusting signs and chanted 'stab Paul Pierce' during that same series were FAR worse than the handful of drunks who harassed J Kidd's wife. If you're arrested for beating your wife Jason, don't get her tickets to road playoff games.

Kidd was and always will be a dirtbag, the same way Hill was classy. Kidd was no Bird, no WAY, haha. Kidd was a slightly better Fat Lever and Dennis Johnson skill set. Rondo type stuff (although 3" taller like those other 2). Nothing close to Bird. He couldn't hit a 3 point shot to save his life until his mid-30's.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Basketball reference says Kidd's all-time stats compare him to:

Mo Cheeks, Lenny Wilkins, Jeff Hornacek, Hal Greer, Steve Nash and Terry Porter.

Yup, that's his grouping.

A HOFer, yes, but also a loser of a personality and nowhere close to a top player of all-time.