Apologies to Jeff Green

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Apologies to Jeff Green

Last year a lot of people wrote an apology to Avery Bradley. I didn't owe him one.  But I do owe uncle Jeff!

Lately Green has been playing like a sixth man of the year candidate. His defense has been good too. Indivuidaul and even his rotations. and unlike in the past you can't say the team gets worse the minute he steps on the court.

So apologies Jeff. I thought the contract we signed you too was bad but of late you are proving me Waaaaaaaaayyyy wrong. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Re: Apologies to Jeff Green

In response to jtkl's comment:

So apologies Jeff. I thought the contract we signed you too was bad but of late you are proving me Waaaaaaaaayyyy wrong. 

as of yet, i would not say "waaaaaaayyyy wrong" but it's a miracle what tightening up the roster via injury will do to an idiotic coach like doc.  he's forced to play people he otherwise likes to yank around on a yo-yo string with minutes and roles

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

The contract had the chance to be very good or very bad, it was all on his recovery and what the man proved. looking now like a good risk was taken by DA. Plus we couldn't leave the Perk deal with nothing and didn't have the cap space to get anyone better.

I don't owe Jeff an apology... I was with him 100% since day 1... but I do owe Avery an apology, if only for not thinking he would be this productive this fast and including him in many trade scenario's last deadline.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I just wish the guy could rebound.  I like his game, I like his defense, but even over the last 10 games he is averaging 4 boards in 32 minutes a game.

It drives me crazy.

He is what he is though. Think Derrick McKey.  Not James Worthy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

The contract had the chance to be very good or very bad, it was all on his recovery and what the man proved. looking now like a good risk was taken by DA. Plus we couldn't leave the Perk deal with nothing and didn't have the cap space to get anyone better.

I don't owe Jeff an apology... I was with him 100% since day 1... but I do owe Avery an apology, if only for not thinking he would be this productive this fast and including him in many trade scenario's last deadline.

Yeah, I was against the perk trade. I thought we were the best team in the league that year.  (not because Perk is Shaq in his prime. but because of the size advantage we had on the heat. ) And advanced stat guys hated Green.  I mean the numbers seemed to indicate every time he stepped on the court his teams got worse.

He seems to be figuring it out though and people say he is one of the nicest guys in the leage so I'm glad.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

I just wish the guy could rebound.  I like his game, I like his defense, but even over the last 10 games he is averaging 4 boards in 32 minutes a game.

It drives me crazy.

Yeah, agreed. Still I thought we had signed a below average player,  and he seems to be alot better than that. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

James Worthy....6-9 225.....12 years

32.4 minutes per game

5.1 rebounds per game (career high 6.4 per game in 1984-85)

17.6 points per game (playing alongside both Magic and Kareem)

Jeff Green....6-9 235......4 years

32.3 minutes per game

5.2 rebounds per game (career high 6.7 per game in 2008-09)

13.4 points per game (finally getting some time off the bench as a 6th man)

I like him and he should only get better...!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kylerocks. Show kylerocks's posts

So it's looks like Jeff is more Worthy than we thought.  You would think both guys would average more rebounds given their length and athleticism.  Makes what Rondo does rebounding the ball even more amazing to me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I suppose that Worthy gets a pass since he started alongside  Kareem & Magic... there might not have been as many rebounds going his way....but my point was Green is putting up similar stats and certainly has the size and athletic skills that Worthy had...he actually put up better stats as a starter in OKC...imagine him as a starter and a top 3 option in Boston....he would probably excell....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to Duke4's comment:

32.4 minutes per game

32.3 minutes per game

Plus his defense is way better than than Worthy's.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

It drives me crazy.

Yeah McKey is the guy I compared him to at the time of the trade. Def not Worthy, but Jeff woulda put up similar #'s in the 80's fastbreak era with Magic.

Pierce was only a 5.5 reb guy over 37-38 mins in his prime at SF. Jeff has 2" on him, but if he is primarily a SF going forward, with Sully a good rebounding PF, I can live with 4.5 boards in 35 mins from him.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Jeff minutes are on the increase, his rebounding is improving with playing time.  If you notice the offence does not have Jeff close to the goal much.   I am a fan of his, I do wish he would add a move where he takes one more short dribble during some of his penetrations.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

He is getting better and Doc has managed him excellent...

I always thought AB would be good..I compared him to T Allen on several occassions..

But I was wrong on that part. He is going to be even better.

Green was very difficult to gauge because of the limited time and injury.

But I think most here recognized that the had tremendous talent.

The Worthy comparisons are right on.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Green is never going to be a rebounder because he is out all over the court defending.  He can and will when it is needed. He had seven tonight. Worthy averaged 5.5 hardly his primary focus either.  He was starter, plug Green in as a starter and he will be right around that number.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

Green played same amount of minutes today as PP...the more he plays, the better he plays.. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

he has definitely gotten more aggressive and comfortable as the season has progressed, good to see...

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

I think what we are seeing is the evolution from the old guard to the new guard. It just takes time for that transition. AB and Green are evolving into the go to players of the future. Hopefully, along with Sully, they will form a formidable lineup. They are both game changers in their own right. PP needs to recognize when he is not on and defer to the young legs.

Rondo had been given the reigns, and Doc was playing to his strengths. That’s what good coaches do. Unfortunately, RR was just to hardheaded to evolve his game to the point where he could be counted on under certain situations. He wanted to do it his way.

I don’t think we will have that problem with either of these two or Sully. They are pretty humble type guys. Rondo is more of a Koby type of personality. These guys listen to their coach and put the team first.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Agree with Snake, Green has to rebound more but he has turned out to be better than I thought. I have called Green a "stiff" a number of times and that I was wrong about. I'm not sure I apologize as he was playing like a stiff at the time but he is showing what he is made of. Doesn't mean the Perk trade was a good trade but it does mean the trade is not looking like as much of a disaster. 

I have mentioned this before the best thing about Green playing well is there are now scenarios where Rondo and Green could be packaged together and in theory you could get a fantastic max contract player back (if for some reason that player was disgruntled etc). Gives a lot of flexibility. 

At any rate props to Green, he's earned more respect than he was getting. But he has more to prove as well. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Dumb thread...

Now if Greens game nose dives, he'll flip/flop all over again. Just blow with the wind depending on how he's playing lately.  

Never did you point out or understand the two main reasons for Greens less than consistent play....  having Rondo on the floor and Docs horrible spotty minutes/rotations...

This is a cya thread... lol

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

32.4 minutes per game

32.3 minutes per game

Oh please.  Green is almost  27.When Worthy was 27 he bad been a 20 point a game scorer four years straight.  

Look up Mckey.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I suppose that Worthy gets a pass since he started alongside  Kareem & Magic... there might not have been as many rebounds going his way....but my point was Green is putting up similar stats and certainly has the size and athletic skills that Worthy had...he actually put up better stats as a starter in OKC...imagine him as a starter and a top 3 option in Boston....he would probably excell....

He isn't putting up similar stats by age.

Not even close.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

In response to prakash's comment:

32.4 minutes per game

32.3 minutes per game

Plus his defense is way better than than Worthy's.

I already said I was wrong about Green (primarliy that he was a soft player and was overpaid)

but come on, comparing him to Worthy?

Green (and this is the 5th year)

32.3 Min

44.6% FG

78.0% FT

33.7% 3FG

5.2 Reb

1.6 As

o.9 St

0.6 Blk

1.7 TO

13.4 Pts

Worthy (first 5 years)

31.2 Miin

56.4% FG

74.1 FT

2.3% 3 pt

5.7 Reb

2.4 Ass

1.1 St

0.9 Blk

2.2 TO

16.9 Pt

McKey (after 5 years)

31.2 Min

49.7 FG

74.0 FT

31.7 -3 pt

5.3 reb

2.1 Ass

1.1 St

0.8 Blk

2.0 TO

13.9 Pt

Look like those saying Green reminds them of McKey are sure close than those saying he's closer to Worthy!!

* All numbers form Basketball reference.com

Sections
Shortcuts