Apologies to Jeff Green

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: Apologies to Jeff Green

In response to Mployee8's comment:

Green's defensive game while not as renown as Worthy is certainly better then McKey's was ... That needs to be factored into the comparisons.

Mckey was Nba second team twice on d

How many does Green have so far?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

Dumb thread...

Now if Greens game nose dives, he'll flip/flop all over again. Just blow with the wind depending on how he's playing lately.  

Never did you point out or understand the two main reasons for Greens less than consistent play....  having Rondo on the floor and Docs horrible spotty minutes/rotations...

This is a cya thread... lol

Do you have to make all of your posts stupid?

When I was down on Green I was looking at his years in OKC In addition to his half season here before heart surgery and his half season at the beginning of the season where he was doing what he has done for the last few years.

I'm on board because the last few months he seems to be staritng to get it.

Oh and name one time I've changed opinion on a player before this. Think. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

Green's defensive game while not as renown as Worthy is certainly better then McKey's was ... That needs to be factored into the comparisons.

Mckey was Nba second team twice on d

How many does Green have so far?

He's just hitting his prime, but my bad anyway, for forgetting how good McKey was on D and giving credit to Worthy as though he were Michael Cooper ... Ugh!!!

Its cool.  McKey wasn't an insult. He wasa a very good player in the NBA for a long time. He could guard centers as well as shooting guards.  I think Green is a lot more like him than Worthy.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I like that Green clearly looks to be aggressive and that when he gets the ball on the wing he isn't shoot first but rather he tries to get to the hoop.  He's a great slasher, decent shooter and athletic enough that if he moves without the ball he'll get lots of easy baskets.  Not a great rebounder for his size, but he's a better defender than I thought he'd be.  He is a good player, but to me, he will always be a complementary player.  Post PP, there is no doubt he will be a good SF, but DA will need to surround him with some other talent.  I am not sure that if JG is a top 2 player on your team that your team is very good. 

Re: Perk, I hated the trade back then because I still think the Celts had a better shot at another title with him at the 5.  But these days it's a little easier to see why DA liked JG. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

I like that Green clearly looks to be aggressive and that when he gets the ball on the wing he isn't shoot first but rather he tries to get to the hoop.  He's a great slasher, decent shooter and athletic enough that if he moves without the ball he'll get lots of easy baskets.  Not a great rebounder for his size, but he's a better defender than I thought he'd be.  He is a good player, but to me, he will always be a complementary player.  Post PP, there is no doubt he will be a good SF, but DA will need to surround him with some other talent.  I am not sure that if JG is a top 2 player on your team that your team is very good. 

Re: Perk, I hated the trade back then because I still think the Celts had a better shot at another title with him at the 5.  But these days it's a little easier to see why DA liked JG. 

and of course we would have found this out last year, instead of this year...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

kudos for admitting that. I was on his side all along and told everyone to relax and give him time. Tisk tisk. Maybe next time a guy gets heart surgery, we can give him a few months to be normal again....oh and Wilcox is coming along too....  smh

He has more skill than Worthy too but lets not act like Green is playing with the same cast that Worthy did. Stop comparing and let the man play....Jeeez!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Mckee was a top notch defender and above average player.  No insult at all.  I remember him being an important player on a playoff team...was it indiana?  phili?  both?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In response to aciemvp's comment:

In response to jtkl's comment:

So apologies Jeff. I thought the contract we signed you too was bad but of late you are proving me Waaaaaaaaayyyy wrong. 

as of yet, i would not say "waaaaaaayyyy wrong" but it's a miracle what tightening up the roster via injury will do to an idiotic coach like doc.  he's forced to play people he otherwise likes to yank around on a yo-yo string with minutes and roles

Its amazing what getting through the tough part of your open heart surgery and getting your body back into some kind of shape.  Everyone says that that type of surgery takes a year to recover from and Jeff had to come along slowly.  Doc managed his minutes because he knew it was a long season and it appears that uncle jeff is getting more comfortable playing all out vs too conservatively.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

I should apologize  too. I was really critical of j green, especially after he got that deal.

But he has really stepped up since rondo got hurt, and his ability to play both forward spots has provided a versatility we were sorely  lacking. He is showing all the tools  with his shooting, penetrating, posting up, he is truly a triple threat on the offensive end.  His defense has been damn good too. His rebounding is still lacking, but im good with that if he can give us 15-16 pts on 51fg% like he has been over the last dozen games or so. 

I am really glad jgreen is proven me wrong so far with his recent play, now hes just got to be consistent with it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

We'll see what Jeff is made of tomorrow in OKC

If he gets a 20-10, has 3 posterizing dunks (1 on Perk for sure, then lets say Durant and Collins) and holds KD under 40% and under 30 pts, I'll really start to feel good about him

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shamrock1000. Show shamrock1000's posts

Nice post jtkl, shows a lot of class on your part, and nice to see someone who can form an opinion on his/her own rather than simply repeat something they read or heard from a talking head who probably has never really watched Jeff play. And for all those morons who ripped on the guy for struggling early in the season, I'd like to see how thhey would do less than a year after have your chest opened, your ribs cracked and spread apart, and your heart (your freaking heart!) operated on. Jeff went through this and now plays professional basketball, at an increasingly high level. Amazing...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shamrock1000. Show shamrock1000's posts

In response to aciemvp's comment:

So apologies Jeff. I thought the contract we signed you too was bad but of late you are proving me Waaaaaaaaayyyy wrong. 

as of yet, i would not say "waaaaaaayyyy wrong" but it's a miracle what tightening up the roster via injury will do to an idiotic coach like doc.  he's forced to play people he otherwise likes to yank around on a yo-yo string with minutes and roles

Agree about Doc - the irony is he gets additional credit for "bringing out the best in a depleted line-up" when the truth is if injuries/trades didn't force Doc to use certain players, they would have withered away...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to cole-ely's comment:

Mckee was a top notch defender and above average player.  No insult at all.  I remember him being an important player on a playoff team...was it indiana?  phili?  both?

McKey was as good a defender of both F positions as Green is. He was a big part of the '92 and '93 Sonics 2nd rd and West finals teams, before being traded for Schrempf and doing the same like 13/5 with good D performances for the Pacers on those dangerous '94-'96 teams.

He was still on the Pacers the 3 years Bird coached them deep into the playoffs but barely left the bench. Like Green (to this point) he was a top 10 pick who was productive as a double digits scoring low rebound #'s for his height 6th man but never lived up to what was hoped for him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Another good comparison is that this current version of Jeff Green is to LeBron what '91-'93 Reggie Lewis was to Jordan

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Last year a lot of people wrote an apology to Avery Bradley. I didn't owe him one.  But I do owe uncle Jeff!

Lately Green has been playing like a sixth man of the year candidate. His defense has been good too. Indivuidaul and even his rotations. and unlike in the past you can't say the team gets worse the minute he steps on the court.

This is a good start. Now when can we expect your apology, for being wrong about Rondo?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In response to kyceltic's comment:

Last year a lot of people wrote an apology to Avery Bradley. I didn't owe him one.  But I do owe uncle Jeff!

Lately Green has been playing like a sixth man of the year candidate. His defense has been good too. Indivuidaul and even his rotations. and unlike in the past you can't say the team gets worse the minute he steps on the court.

This is a good start. Now when can we expect your apology, for being wrong about Rondo?

I'm right about Rondo. I watched him in Miami last year, and Cleveland two years before that. The guy is great when he sets his mind to it. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to kyceltic's comment:

I'm right about Rondo. I watched him in Miami last year, and Cleveland two years before that. The guy is great when he sets his mind to it. 

Yes, you're starting to see the light! A week ago you would have stopped after "the guy is Great"!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

I just wish the guy could rebound.  I like his game, I like his defense, but even over the last 10 games he is averaging 4 boards in 32 minutes a game.

It drives me crazy.

He is what he is though. Think Derrick McKey.  Not James Worthy.

I'm going with Worthy as a comparison. Worthy avg 5.07 rbs and Green 5.2 carreer rebs. so the guy can rebound. McKey was not as good Green is. I know Worthy is a Great,Great, Great player one of the best I've ever seen in almost 50 years of watching/playing ball and as of this moment that you can't  ask " Who's better Worthy or Green ?", but by the end of his career you will be. Also Worthy never missed a whole season with a heart injury. Worthy only played less than 60 games once in his career,91-2. Like AB I contend next year will be a truer barrometer of their capabilities so they may see # 20 in their career span.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to Rajon-Hondo's comment:

I just wish the guy could rebound.  I like his game, I like his defense, but even over the last 10 games he is averaging 4 boards in 32 minutes a game.

It drives me crazy.

I'm going with Worthy as a comparison. Worthy avg 5.07 rbs and Green 5.2 carreer rebs. so the guy can rebound. McKey was not as good Green is. I know Worthy is a Great,Great, Great player one of the best I've ever seen in almost 50 years of watching/playing ball and as of this moment that you can't  ask " Who's better Worthy or Green ?", but by the end of his career you will be. Also Worthy never missed a whole season with a heart injury. Worthy only played less than 60 games once in his career,91-2. Like AB I contend next year will be a truer barrometer of their capabilities so they may see # 20 in their career span.

I don't think anyone here remembers how good McKey was.  Worthy is one of the top 50 NBA players of all time and is in the HOF.  He is a 7 time all star. He has three rings. He was playoff MVP. He is in the Hall of Fame.

These comparisons between he and Green make no sense.  Green has done nothing to warrant them.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to Rajon-Hondo's comment:

It drives me crazy.

I don't think anyone here remembers how good McKey was.  Worthy is one of the top 50 NBA players of all time and is in the HOF.  He is a 7 time all star. He has three rings. He was playoff MVP. He is in the Hall of Fame.

These comparisons between he and Green make no sense.  Green has done nothing to warrant them.

McKey was soft, just like JG. More of a finesse guy. Had good skills and athelticism for a guy with his height in those times, very smooth, but like JG,  never really made physicality part of his regular play. WORTHY on the other hand had explosiveness and played with urgency and anger. He was the hammer on those "Showtime" Lakers. Snake's right, JG is a much different player, though has flashes of that hostility in his dunks at times. Worthy always went high, fast, and came down hard.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

In response to maryngary's comment:

Jeff minutes are on the increase, his rebounding is improving with playing time.  If you notice the offence does not have Jeff close to the goal much.   I am a fan of his, I do wish he would add a move where he takes one more short dribble during some of his penetrations.

no, his rebounds are not improving. he is averaging 3.5 rebound per game. his general per minute rate has not increased with more minutes. in fact, if anything it's gotten worse. at 6 "9" it's very difficult to rebound the basketball much more poorly than he has this season. while you have to like his progress offesnively and increased effort on d, when a player makes 9 million per you have a right to expect 14-16 and 6

... in terms of his offensive game, he is limited to drives, finishing breaks, and stand still jumpers. his range this year has been enouraging (though he's only shooting 34% from 3), but he does not handle the ball well in space and has a hard time creating when he has the ball out on the perimeter. green is therefore very dependent on getting the ball in the right places and is mostly effective in transition wing drives, drives from either elbow that require only one or two dribbles, and shooting wide open baseline threes or 15 footers. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

the number one criticism made about the physically talented derrick mckey was that he was soft, a description often associated with green. mckey, like green, had huge hands, and a variety of skills that continually promised more. mckey never took that next, and so far green's career is taking a similar route. at this stage Green might swoop to the hoop in a way that reminds people of Worthy, but he has a long, long way to even approach matching his career.