April 11th, 2002

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

Re: April 11th, 2002

In Response to Re: April 11th, 2002:
    [QUOTE]Jerry Buss repeatedly disrespected the Minn Lakers and ignored them. He went as far as to tell people he did not consider their history to be part of his franchise and it was left behind in 'Sota... this when he felt no team would ever catch the Celtics in titles. Then... surprise right as LA is closing in on a 3-peat that will get them within 2 titles of the Celtics for first all-time... IF AND ONLY IF THEY ACKNOWLEDGE THE MINNESOTA TITLES FROM THE 50'S.... does Buss FINALLY do so He is an arrogant coward who slapped George Mikan and everyone else associated with Minneapolis in the face and pretends his club now has 16 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS Technically since they kept the name (unlike say the Sonics) they should be allowed to keep the titles... but Buss was so sketchy and disrspectful in the way he went about it that it should remain forever a stain on the franchise and an asterisk in the record book
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

T Woves have done a better job. Championships belong to the city where the parade was held.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

[QUOTE]Jerry Buss repeatedly disrespected the Minn Lakers and ignored them. He went as far as to tell people he did not consider their history to be part of his franchise and it was left behind in 'Sota... this when he felt no team would ever catch the Celtics in titles. Then... surprise right as LA is closing in on a 3-peat that will get them within 2 titles of the Celtics for first all-time... IF AND ONLY IF THEY ACKNOWLEDGE THE MINNESOTA TITLES FROM THE 50'S.... does Buss FINALLY do so He is an arrogant coward who slapped George Mikan and everyone else associated with Minneapolis in the face and pretends his club now has 16 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS Technically since they kept the name (unlike say the Sonics) they should be allowed to keep the titles... but Buss was so sketchy and disrspectful in the way he went about it that it should remain forever a stain on the franchise and an asterisk in the record book

Greatest sports team owner....period! As for Wyc, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: April 11th, 2002 : T Woves have done a better job. Championships belong to the city where the parade was held.
    Posted by genaro008[/QUOTE]

They at least deserve an asterisk in record books that tells the real story

If only LA had changed its name when they moved... if Buss had moved the team you know he would have...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: April 11th, 2002 : Duke, I thought you were above that. Apparently not. But let me point out that THOSE days of dominance are long over. Magic Johnson put an end to what many of you Celtics fans believed was "the Celtics mystique"...your God given right to beat the Lakers in any championship series. Nevermore. And the Lakers have won 3 of the last 5 championships head-to-head. You guys can live in the past, we prefer to look ahead to the future. And if DA keeps on picking up stiffs (Krstic) and broken down, past-their-prime vets (the O'Neals), you guys aren't going to have much of a future to look forward to. Mitch Kupchak will see to it that the Lakers continue to have the kind of players to compete for NBA titles. Don't forget, Blake Griffin becomes a free agent in a few years, and he gets to look up at all those purple and gold banners nightly. I'm just sayin'...
    Posted by Qdaddy[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Daddy, I don't disagree with the majority of your opinions (sorry for that 9-3 potshot)......but I don't agree about more teams equal tougher road to the finals....everyone agrees that sports are a watered down product these days.....the majority of baseball teams don't have legitimate 3rd/4th starters....many Euros are quality players but for every Pau, there are 20 Shashas.....guys who would never have made a roster in the '60's....back in the day, when the league was loaded with quality players (think top 50 list) the best of the best fought for the title.....the Celtics may have been the best for a majority of that time....but remember the old team that beat younger opponents in the '68 and '69 finals....that was the mystique...and Magic didn't put an end to it.....injuries did in '85 & '87.....I have no problem giving the Lakers and their fans all due respect....like I said, the two greatest of all time and the greatest rivalry...what irks me is when trolls post garbage on this board....I could see it if I were invading a Laker board...but this is totally the opposite (I'm not directing this at you, by the way....the trolls know who they are!!)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Worthy get's it right AGAIN! ......the modern NBA did not begin when Bird and Magic entered the league.....in fact, I think this league has lost a lot over the last 25 years under Stern's rule (or, as Tony Kornheiser calls him...."the Angel of Stern")....I know the league has lost some credibility among fans and sports writers....I heard numerous reference this past week on many shows....Wilbon quoted as saying...."uh oh...are we looking at a foul shot discrepancy next game Tony?" .....two references to the Sacremento series in 2001 (ESPN).....a bunch of highlight films pointing out "star" calls (no calls) and home court advantage......say what you will......going back to the Ewing lottery (check out the You Tube clip)....there seems to be some scripting at times....just saying....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from victorlee1234. Show victorlee1234's posts

Love reading sanctimonious drivel on a Sunday morning, especially from resentful Celtics fans.  Every reputable sports outlet in the country recognizes that the Lakers have 16 Titles.  Except, of course, for people who want to live in their own bitter world.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Celtics bench production was a reason they didn't win in '85. But I believe that we were mostly inspired by the loss in '84. We could have won that series IMO. But the Celtics were just a tough team.

Bird had a hand or elbow injury in '85? Still didn't stop Boston from getting a great record, I think it was 63 or 62 wins? And they did beat a good Philadelphia team to get to the finals. Also Boston murdered us in game one. Still the most dangerous team with such an average bench.

Best thing about '85 was finally winning a championship in Boston. Winning LA would have been great, but in Boston. Couldn't have been sweeter considering the long history of finals heartache.

Heart of hearts I say '84 was probably the best series played between the teams from a pure basketball standpoint.

At least the bright side of that loss for Boston led to them acquiring Walton and Schiting. Also a virtually injury free season helped immeasurably.

'87? Man, Boston just did well to make the finals considering the horror year they had. I reckon the only reason they made the finals was because of the will of Larry Bird. That man was incredible. And again, Boston were competitive in that series against us. Mainly because of Bird. Just a tragedy that Boston wasn't at full strength and had Bias as the '87 finals may well have been THE series of the ages. Magic, Kareem, Thompson, Worthy, Scott, Cooper and Green vs Bird, McHale, Parish, Bias, Johnson, Ainge and Walton? Man. Frown

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Good post as usual.....in '85 Bird reportedly got into a bar fight during the playoffs....hurt his shooting hand and put up miserable numbers afterwards...the key loss in my mind that year was Cedric Maxwell....Finals MVP in '81 and certainly Game 7 MVP in '84....he got hurt during the season, never recovered and played only a cameo role in '85....but not taking anything away from the Lakers...they had great squads that whole decade!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Daddy.....I posted my thoughts.....I'm interested in yours.....not talking about how many titles the Lakers have....they have 16.....talking about the thinking behind the banner finally going up....seriously, I would like your opinion....no flaming on my part...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fitz0527. Show fitz0527's posts

Lakers fan on Boston.com ?

Talk about a sad life.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Hey, fans like to speak their minds....debating is fine as long as it's done in an adult fashion...opinions....everyone has one right?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

...as I said....I'm keeping this post up......I have an opinion or two that I haven't posted yet.....not like that is anything special...I understand that my thoughts are no big deal.....some may find them boring or off key....and that's ok....this is a forum for sharing thoughts and opinions......as long as we are civil.....the sky is the limit...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]Celtics bench production was a reason they didn't win in '85. But I believe that we were mostly inspired by the loss in '84. We could have won that series IMO. But the Celtics were just a tough team. Bird had a hand or elbow injury in '85? Still didn't stop Boston from getting a great record, I think it was 63 or 62 wins? And they did beat a good Philadelphia team to get to the finals. Also Boston murdered us in game one. Still the most dangerous team with such an average bench. Best thing about '85 was finally winning a championship in Boston. Winning LA would have been great, but in Boston. Couldn't have been sweeter considering the long history of finals heartache. Heart of hearts I say '84 was probably the best series played between the teams from a pure basketball standpoint. At least the bright side of that loss for Boston led to them acquiring Walton and Schiting. Also a virtually injury free season helped immeasurably. '87? Man, Boston just did well to make the finals considering the horror year they had. I reckon the only reason they made the finals was because of the will of Larry Bird. That man was incredible. And again, Boston were competitive in that series against us. Mainly because of Bird. Just a tragedy that Boston wasn't at full strength and had Bias as the '87 finals may well have been THE series of the ages. Magic, Kareem, Thompson, Worthy, Scott, Cooper and Green vs Bird, McHale, Parish, Bias, Johnson, Ainge and Walton? Man.
    Posted by RUWorthy[/QUOTE]

Worthy you look younger than me (28) and talk about '85 like you remember it? My memories start w/ the bird-Nique shootout in '88 so being at game 6 in '08 was mazing... all i knew in 20 years as a fan was losing.

So are you just a young looking 37:-)

Red never forgave Maxwell for '85 BTW, even 15 years later he would b!itch about it. He felt the reason we didn't win that year was b/c Max was lazy in his rehab and wasn't a factor in the playoffs.

The man went from a 12-5 to a 4-2. Too bad for C's...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

The Bias death was tragic... LA was gifted worthy the way we should have been gifted Bias... it just evened the playing field.

We'd have won in '87 no question had he lived... and maybe another title before Joran arrived... and the big 3 could have had a much painless and more graceful exit around 94-95.

Maybe Det never wins and with a ton of Bos-Chi battles (over NY) in the East playoss there is no bad boys/thug ball era. Just the smooth fun play of Reggie and Bias w/ bird the ageless wonder vs. Jordan and Pippen.

19-15 woulda been the tally at least (19-9 Boston vs. LA)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

The Celtics with Bias would have won several more titles.  Stretching the careers of the big 3 and also having one of the greatest careers in NBA history himself.

Bias was possibly another Jordan.  Before you say I am crazy, look at his college career and what this guy could do.  He would have had to prove it but he was the greatest college player I ever saw.  Tailor made for the NBA as well.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

The Bias death was tragic... LA was gifted worthy the way we should have been gifted Bias... it just evened the playing field. We'd have won in '87 no question had he lived... and maybe another title before Joran arrived... and the big 3 could have had a much painless and more graceful exit around 94-95. Maybe Det never wins and with a ton of Bos-Chi battles (over NY) in the East playoss there is no bad boys/thug ball era. Just the smooth fun play of Reggie and Bias w/ bird the ageless wonder vs. Jordan and Pippen. 19-15 woulda been the tally at least (19-9 Boston vs. LA)
    Posted by rameakap

I hope I still look the same when I'm 37! You're not that much older than I am :)

Watched a lot of Lakers/Celtics videos when I was younger. Also now have the '85 Finals on DVD along with the Lakers Dynasty DVD set. Plus I've read a lot of books, perhaps too many NBA books.

I really wouldn't have wanted to be at game 6 in '08. But I reckon you would have enjoyed it. Must have been a fun game for be at for a Celtic fan. Especially after years of disappointments.

Did take a long time for Maxwell to be welcomed back by Boston. His number being retired was a long time coming, was the Celtics best player in the '81 finals and was the difference in Game 7 in '84. From what I can tell both Red and Maxwell could have handled the whole thing a lot better in '85. Perhaps Maxwell had really had enough by then. He had played for a number of years and was a multiple NBA champion. Maybe subconsciously he felt he'd achieved everything he could in the game. His play for the Clippers was average. Either way the Celtics did improve a lot by having a healthy Bill Walton in '86.

'87 is a hard one. Walton may still well have broken his ankle on the exercise bike and that is a big loss no matter what. I really think the Celtics missed him a lot in '87. Not only on the court but in the locker room as well. Bias could really have done anything though. Hard to say what he would have done in his first year. But I don't think we had a player who would have been able to cover him. Thompson was bought in to counter Walton. But who would have handled Bias? Cooper may have been a bit too small. He did a good job on Larry Bird, but Bias was much more athletically gifted than Bird. Guarding Bias would have been a headache. Although his weakness may well have been that he was a rookie and prone to making 'rookie' mistakes. But imagine having him with guys like Bird, Walton and Johnson around him? Wow, the basketball IQ of those guys was off the scales and that would have helped Bias really mature as a player.

I think what hurt McHale was that he kept playing on that broken foot in '87. If he had rested up he may well have extended his career, he misses the play offs but doesn't destroy his foot in the process. Mad thing is that Bias may well have been on the court the time McHale got injured. It's a whole lot of if's and maybe's. McHale was a freak of a player so unique.

Larry could well have benefited from what rest Bias would have given him. But we don't know how his back would have held up. May well have had the same problems even with rest. A player like Bird didn't deserve to have the decision to retire effectively taken out of his hands. Same with Magic, that comeback in '96 was great to see, but it was really sad at the same time if you know what I mean? At least I got to see him play in a meaningful game, was 5, going on 6 and saw him in Seattle in a regular season game against the SuperSonics. Ironic that Magic and Bird both really didn't have a say in how their careers ended.

I don't like that Pistons team at all. I know they would not have swept us in the '88 finals had Magic and Byron been healthy. They may well have won, but we wouldn't have lost every game, no way in the world.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schleprechaun. Show Schleprechaun's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: April 11th, 2002 : Don't worry, after the season is over you'll get your MVT trophy from the Boston Globe. 
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]
    Most valuable troll? For reverse-jinxing everything? haha!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Good posts guys (& gal!)......I agree with the thoughts on Max and Bias.....history could've looked a whole lot different if not for a terrible slew of injuries and the death of two Celtic players....Max is an all time favorite of mine....I got to meet him and spend several hours with him at a JoJo White fundraiser back in Rochester...he is just a great guy....witty and a great sense of humor....I think he got the big paycheck and then the injury hit him....did complacency set in...? maybe.....it wouldn't be the first time in sports (think Pittsburgh and Dave Parker)....but I loved him on the court...very underrated on both offense and defense...I wish he had remained a Celtic....although he did get us Walton and another title...

Sections
Shortcuts