Are there hopes in CelticNation after Christmas?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KingShaq. Show KingShaq's posts

Are there hopes in CelticNation after Christmas?

In the past 4-5 years, Christmas has been the time the city of Boston turned cold. All the Celtics' good starts stopped at Christimas. Witness the following records:

2008-09 started 27-2 (.931) finished 35-18 (.660)
    2009-10 started 23-5 (.821) finished 27-27 (.500)
    2010-11 started 23-4 (.852) finished 33-22 (.600)
    2011-12 no game before Christmas finished 39-27 (.590)

So in summary, their performance with Christmas as their demarcation line:
    Hot start: 73-11 (.869)
    Cold finish: 134-94 (.588)

The .869 record, if translated to an 82-game schedule, would be historic: it's a 71-11 record. OTOH, the .588 record, if translated to an 82-game schedule, would only be 48-34.

This year, the start isn't that hot. Looking at their schedule, they will be staring at a very likely 14-12 record by Christmas. Take their .588 after-christmas percentage (which equates to 33-23 with 56 games left), you are looking at 47-35.

What would 47-35 land you? of course that's a playoff spot, i.e. a failure in Fierce's warped mind because that won't be a lottery pick ...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Re: Are there hopes in CelticNation after Christmas?

With the current roster, The Cetlics Do Not have a prayer in He77 to compete for the Championship this year.  In fact, its unlikely that this team can get to the East finals and probably not even past the second round of the playoffs.  Every team has improved in the east except the Celtics.  

With an aging Pierce and Garnett, the Celtics need win THIS year and to do so will require them to drastically change the team.

We need a big and better rebounding...and We need more consistent play.

The only player of percieved value to trade for a a decent big is Rondo and his departure would help team consistecny.   Need to get Love or somebody else with toughness in the middle like Gortat and in the process add a mature PG that can shoot free throws and be able to shoot from the outside to spread the floor.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Interesting opinions to say the least.......

we won it all in 2007-08 by embarrassing the Lakers in a 6 game romp..

in 2008-09, after once again dominating the league, we lost KG for the season and the playoffs.....otherwise the odds were overwhelmingly in our favor for a repeat!

in 2009-10 we lost game 7 on the road after leading for most of that game....while playing without our enforcer..

and last year we lost game 7 on the road in the Eastern Conference Finals in Miami....

all in all, I'm proud of their performances.....sure as hell beats a combined 1-8 over the last two playoffs.....

Celtic Pride...Celtic Mystique....even after all these years....

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I like your thinking Kirk...!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KingShaq. Show KingShaq's posts

In response to Duke4's comment:

in 2008-09, after once again dominating the league, we lost KG for the season and the playoffs.....otherwise the odds were overwhelmingly in our favor for a repeat!

in 2009-10 we lost game 7 on the road after leading for most of that game....while playing without our enforcer..

and last year we lost game 7 on the road in the Eastern Conference Finals in Miami....

all in all, I'm proud of their performances.....sure as hell beats a combined 1-8 over the last two playoffs.....

So in your opinion, 0-0-1-1-0-0 beats 0-0-0-2-0-0. In other words, you treasure how far a team advances in the playoffs even though it doesn't win the championship.

In other words, by your logic, losing in the finals sure as hell beats NOT making the finals. BY YOUR LOGIC,

16-15-9-12-7-5 sure as hell beats 17-4-12-11-6-16

You got no choice, by comparing their playoff performance while NOT winning the championships, you are endorsing the Lakers' historical record over the Celtics. The 15-9-12-7-5 blows out your playoff-missing-heavy 4-12-11-6-16.

Duke, your post will be saved to argue against you forever. You can't delete it...

Besides, injury is part of the game. You are saying that the Celtics lost within the context of the game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

KingShaq = GK strikes again!

I was scrolling it hit me who it was and I see the laughing dog. Beautifully timed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to Kirk6's comment:

I hope for a trade.

I hope Rivers starts to play Green at the 2.

I hope Rivers stops using Sullinger as a center.

I hope for a trade for a big man like Gortat.  I hope Doc plays Green more period.  I would love to see PP put him sometime at the two as well.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

my reply to all these posts it this......

neither team measures up to the elite teams in this league.....

Miami in the East....with strong teams in NY & NJ...and a few others....

OKC in the West (by a wide margin!).....along with Memphis, San Antonio, the Clippers, and Golden State....

the Celtics and the Lakers are way behind these teams....and, as constructed, they have absolutely no chance of contending for a championship....

get it ....?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KingShaq. Show KingShaq's posts

OKC in the West (by a wide margin!).....along with Memphis, San Antonio, the Clippers, and Golden State....

the Celtics and the Lakers are way behind these teams....and, as constructed, they have absolutely no chance of contending for a championship....

get it ....?

Can't care less. Don't care if neither team measures up to the elite.

Just interested in nailing you for the criteria when neither team wins the championship. Your statement of "(the Celtics' past 2 playoff campaigns) sure as hell beats a combined 1-8 over the last two playoffs....." is exactly what I need.

In other words, you have no more argument against the Lakers losing in the finals. Sure as hell beats the Celtics' miserable non-playoff-appearance or early round exits...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

In response to Kirk6's comment:

I hope for a trade.

I hope Rivers starts to play Green at the 2.

I hope Rivers stops using Sullinger as a center.

I hope for a trade for a big man like Gortat.  I hope Doc plays Green more period.  I would love to see PP put him sometime at the two as well.

Gortat would be perfect, esp after tonight!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Its gonna be a lot harder this year...can the oldies hang on for one last hurrah???

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

get it ....?

I think the Clips are an elite team...They have a good combination of young and age vets..I believe they are a serious threat to OKC and spurs..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to Ortiz123's comment:

get it ....?

I think the Clips are an elite team...They have a good combination of young and age vets..I believe they are a serious threat to OKC and spurs..

I want the Clippers strong, it kills the Lakers and their fans more than anything.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Duke it appears you are right on the money.  The only thing is will Bradley be able to transform the line-up as he did last year? That and getting Gortat.  Even then you are probably going to end up  right in the end.

17. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts