Area of Concern -- The Bench

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Area of Concern -- The Bench

I have serious concerns about the play of our bench.  Right now, our second unit consists of one consistent and effective bench player (Baby) and four extremely inconsistent, up and down players.

I anticipate the bench improving to two consistent effective players once Delonte returns and I wonder if that will be enough for that unit.  I'm really not sure what effect Shaq moving to the second unit will have.  My hope is that he will be looked to more, offensively, but I'm just not sure he has the skills to contribute consistently.

Another concern is the Celtics just have not gotten anything consistent from a backup to Pierce or Ray.  Quis has been healthy all season but he seems to play so up and down that you just don't know who will show up from night to night.

And I honestly don't believe it's going to be that simple for Nate to "turn it on" once Delonte returns.  Nate is such a streaky shooter.  He HAS to improve his shooting once Delonte returns, right.  I just don't think it's going to be that simple. I have never seen a guy take so many bad shots than I've seen from Nate.

Right now, our bench is all over the place and I think we need more consistent play from them to allow Ray and Pierce to get some rest.

Everybody has had time off except Ray and Pierce and I think it best to get those guys some rest before the final 2 games of the season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Re: Area of Concern -- The Bench

Just wait until Delonte comes back. 

Whether we like or not Ainge will not make a move until the trade deadline.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In Response to Area of Concern -- The Bench:
    I have serious concerns about the play of our bench.  Right now, our second unit consists of one consistent and effective bench player (Baby) and four extremely inconsistent, up and down players. I anticipate the bench improving to two consistent effective players once Delonte returns and I wonder if that will be enough for that unit.  I'm really not sure what effect Shaq moving to the second unit will have.  My hope is that he will be looked to more, offensively, but I'm just not sure he has the skills to contribute consistently. Another concern is the Celtics just have not gotten anything consistent from a backup to Pierce or Ray.  Quis has been healthy all season but he seems to play so up and down that you just don't know who will show up from night to night. And I honestly don't believe it's going to be that simple for Nate to "turn it on" once Delonte returns.  Nate is such a streaky shooter.  He HAS to improve his shooting once Delonte returns, right.  I just don't think it's going to be that simple. I have never seen a guy take so many bad shots than I've seen from Nate. Right now, our bench is all over the place and I think we need more consistent play from them to allow Ray and Pierce to get some rest. Everybody has had time off except Ray and Pierce and I think it best to get those guys some rest before the final 2 games of the season.
    Posted by Petey62

You didn't mention it but the only time that the second team plays well is when Rondo is in there.  We also need a backup for him. He goes down and were sunk. Your right about Nate and his shot selection- horrible.  It is every game too.  I can't believe that the staff hasn't talked to him about selection.  If they have that means he is completely stupid and doesn't understand.  His hustle is fine as evident by i think 5 steals last night.  Even the Sac announcers said something like, let Nate keep shooting , he is keeping us in the game. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

It'll either be better than the 2008 bench or it will be a problem.   Health is clearly an issue for essentially every single bench player.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

Pete---I watched the game last night. Coming to 4th qtr, (if I remember) the Celtics only ahead by 3.
    Robinson & Big baby came "the bench" and stayed all the way to the end.
    Both "the bench" delivered and won the game.

Why worry on "the bench"?

What I saw last night that worries me: In the heat of the game (with Sacramento), Rondo is not playing in 4th qtr , Robinson finish the game. Why?
    I know the answer but I'm waiting for someone to tell me why.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

P34, I wasn't suggesting that a trade is the answer.  I'm simply saying our bench is all over the place with its play.  But I do agree we will stand pat and make a move after the trade deadline (pick up a bought out player perhaps).

OneonOne, Delonte IS Rondo's backup so I wonder where that puts the 2nd unit when he returns.  I was not aware that the 2nd unit tends to play better when Rondo is in there.  That's not good because he is getting overworked.  That is why it's important for Delonte to return and hopefully contribute to the unit.

BBReigns, I disagree with the notion that the health of every single bench player has been an issue.  Baby, Quis and Nate have been relatively healthy, unlike last season (Baby and Quis).  Other than "any" second unit center and Delonte, they have been quite healthy.  And honestly, I believe Semih can play but I just don't understand Doc's hesitancy to play him.  If Semih's hurt, disclose it and put him on the shelf for awhile (see JON).  Otherwise, he's earned playing time so play him.  I'd really like to see Semih get some real playing time with the 2nd unit.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In Response to Re: Area of Concern -- The Bench:
    Pete---I watched the game last night. Coming to 4th qtr, (if I remember) the Celtics only ahead by 3. Robinson & Big baby came "the bench" and stayed all the way to the end. Both "the bench" delivered and won the game. Why worry on "the bench"? What I saw last night that worries me: In the heat of the game (with Sacramento), Rondo is not playing in 4th qtr , Robinson finish the game. Why? I know the answer but I'm waiting for someone to tell me why.
    Posted by CHEisCHE

I can't wait to read this,  you tell us why

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Pete---I watched the game last night. Coming to 4th qtr, (if I remember) the Celtics only ahead by 3. Robinson & Big baby came "the bench" and stayed all the way to the end. Both "the bench" delivered and won the game. Why worry on "the bench"? What I saw last night that worries me: In the heat of the game (with Sacramento), Rondo is not playing in 4th qtr , Robinson finish the game. Why? I know the answer but I'm waiting for someone to tell me why.
    Posted by CHEisCHE

Che, you are going to start something.  Whatever Nate's 4th quarter contribution, I am sure Rondo could have done just as well if not better.  Nate's main contribution was the 5 steals.  Rondo had 4 so although Nate was in the game, I'm not sure we would have tailed off with Rondo in there.  Actually, having Nate in the game might have contributed to our scoring only 21 points in the 4th quarter.  Having Rondo in might have generated more flow to the offense and more than 21 points in that quarter.  Nate missed all of his 3-point attempts and did not get to the foul line so I don't know why Nate was in.

As for Davis, I totally believe he is that one bench player that has earned his keep in crunchtime.  Again, to me, Davis is the only consistent bench player we can count on night in and night out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: Area of Concern -- The Bench : Che, you are going to start something.  Whatever Nate's 4th quarter contribution, I am sure Rondo could have done just as well if not better.  Nate's main contribution was the 5 steals.  Rondo had 4 so although Nate was in the game, I'm not sure we would have tailed off with Rondo in there.  Actually, having Nate in the game might have contributed to our scoring only 21 points in the 4th quarter.  Having Rondo in might have generated more flow to the offense and more than 21 points in that quarter.  Nate missed all of his 3-point attempts and did not get to the foul line so I don't know why Nate was in. As for Davis, I totally believe he is that one bench player that has earned his keep in crunchtime.  Again, to me, Davis is the only consistent bench player we can count on night in and night out.
    Posted by Petey62

BiasLewis said we should trade Davis.

HAHAHA!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Petey,
    I wish I could agree with you I was very encouraged by the pairing of Nate with Rondo.  Nate because of it was a real factor in the last two games.

Delonte coming back if healthy should really help to.  Look for Delonte as able to play with the first team some of the time and Rondo to get minutes with Nate in spurts.  This will help us vary the attack especially when the offense is stagnant.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

We will be better when Delonte comes back. I actually like the way Nate has been playing lately. Daniels is the one that worries me, he in my opinion is not a big game player. I hope JO comes back and is able to give us something, because Shaq is all of a sudden looking really old!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

The Celtics are a team with only ONE point guard.  We need West back healthy with several games under his vest, and the truth is, we could us a vet point to back us Rondo and West.  And injury to Rondo or continued injury to West , could prove a serious problem for the Celts.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Why is because rondo had already played too many minutes, and we had built enough lead that nate SHOULD have been able to finish the game.  He was playing decent d (and matches up well with jeter.)  So why not?

As to nate's shot selection, if your'e not going to let him take threes (and he's open for them usually) then why have him on the floor.  I thought he was huge in LA in the second quarter when everybody else went cold.  Welcome to the world of nate.

I'm more concerned that quis hasn't been able to hit any of his postups or get open to the rim lately.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

In Response to Re: Area of Concern -- The Bench : I can't wait to read this,  you tell us why
    Posted by OneOnOne

No, I better not.
    Petey warned me and I will follow his advice.

P34, just think what I'm thinking. End of story.
    Rondo did a marvelous job.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from santafesino. Show santafesino's posts

I do not like the rotation that makes Doc I prefer to mix players from the first unit with the second. I want to see Erden with the first unit. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Why is because rondo had already played too many minutes, and we had built enough lead that nate SHOULD have been able to finish the game.  He was playing decent d (and matches up well with jeter.)  So why not? As to nate's shot selection, if your'e not going to let him take threes (and he's open for them usually) then why have him on the floor.  I thought he was huge in LA in the second quarter when everybody else wen't cold.  Welcome to the world of nate. I'm more concerned that quis hasn't been able to hit any of his postups or get open to the rim lately.
    Posted by cole-ely

I also am concerned about the play of Marquis who is never very consistent.  We could definitely use a better backup to Pierce than him, but I don't believe that the Celtics will make any trades.  If I remember many posters thought that we needed to sign or trade for another forward before the season began, and it never happened. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

This time of year, most teams let down, cruise, and wait until the All-Star Break.

Against that background, we just beat the Lakers. We have also beaten the Spurs, Heat and Orlando as well.  The Celtics have the second best record in the NBA, even with injuries.

West will be back shortly, to round out the team, and the rest of the team is relatively healthy.

As far as rest, well, against most of the league, especially at home, the bench can usually play extended minutes. Against the better teams, the starters will play more. That is something that is to be expected on a team that is over the salary cap and is the class of the league. Except for JO, I would not trade any Celtic at this time, and I doubt that anyone in the league wants JO.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I'm with Petey62 on this.

I've been saying for several weeks our bench is like a yo-yo. We need more consistency even though we are deep. I wanted to get a bonafide scorer that can come in and light it up...aka The Microwave. A JR Smith type!!

We just never know what we're going to get from the bench. THey've lost leads, got leads, scored a lot, not done a thing. Just a steady dose of consistency is needed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

I agree with the concerns of the bench's inconsistency. Let's wait and see how Delonte helps with the bench's play. I'm mostly concerned about Marquis's lack of consistency. I still think a superior backup small forward would help the C's for the playoffs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Nobody misses Delonte more than our 5'8" shooting guard Nate Robinson

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Why does everybody say "consistency?"  They could play bad every game and be consistent. Why not just say we need them to show up every game.?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In an approximately 8 minute span from late in the 1st quater til 1/2 way through the 2nd period the second unit score 6 points. With Robinson at point and launching bricks, there was noone on the floor who could make a basket. Daniels, and Davis were awful, as was Shaq. What was most depressing for me, wasn't just that they didn't execute, it was that they looked clueless and had absolutely no offensive plan.   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickFox17. Show RickFox17's posts

In Response to Re: Area of Concern -- The Bench : I also am concerned about the play of Marquis who is never very consistent.  We could definitely use a better backup to Pierce than him, but I don't believe that the Celtics will make any trades.  If I remember many posters thought that we needed to sign or trade for another forward before the season began, and it never happened. 
    Posted by susan250

Yeah that's what I said a few months ago.  Quis needs to step it up even though he is a good defender but he needs to be more aggresive.  I was even suggesting getting a more young stud  athletic wingman who can shoot and dunk more.  A wingman like Rudy Gay, Ariza, Posey,Rozan  etc 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

What about Artest?? LOL! Wouldn't that be funny. It would have to be a 3-way deal. (BTW, I'm not serious so please let's not start flaming)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Apparently RA blasted the bench at halftime.

Sections
Shortcuts