Around the Horn-on the Celtics

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Around the Horn-on the Celtics

Kevin Blackistone just made the comment......"did anyone ever foresee 4 years of greatness when the Big Three were put together?"  ......talk about a great run...and they are deeper than ever....even with the injuries...when everyone comes back?  ....look out!!! KG is still the key (well, along with Rondo)....and KG is healthy with that explosion again.....after the first 20 games he had equalled his "double/double" total of all last season....this team is scary!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

Re: Around the Horn-on the Celtics

Well, half way greatness.

If they win the 2nd championship, then I will agree about these "full greatness"
    that he was talking about...until then some will say a fluke.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

how can it be a "fluke" when they've been to the finals twice in three years? do these teams rank with the great celtics' teams? maybe that's what you meant. if so, we shall see. but there's no fluke involved.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

Winning twice prove something.
    Winning once is a "lucky punch".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

You know, that is a very interesting perspective......look at how many Laker fans come here and rant that they may have lost the most Final' series but just getting there is an accomplishment in itself....one that puts them ahead of everyone else....and yet our having gone to two out of three (and probably three in a row with a health KG) means nothing if we don't win it all....now don't get me wrong....I get what you mean when you say one win could be considered a fluke...but, as a Celtic fan, you are also pointing out that winning the title is all that really counts....good point CHE

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

but, as a Celtic fan, you are also pointing out that winning the title is all that really counts....good point CHE

well, the reason I used "winning championship" criteria being the measuring stick for greatness, five years from now no one will remember the team if you didn't win the biggie. (Yep-this group won one but prove it not just a lucky punch).
    After all, other Celtics group did it more than once....and that's greatness.

Today, we can associate the lesser Celtics like, Gerald henderson, Danny Ainge,
    Wedman, Sichting, Kite etc etc etc because of the 1985-86 championship.  

A players like Barkley, Malone, Ewing who did not wear a ring, will be remembered as individual great player no more no less.

Say, who will remember John Stockton/Mark Price's quadruple-triple-double if no ring?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In Response to Re: Around the Horn-on the Celtics:
    [QUOTE]but, as a Celtic fan, you are also pointing out that winning the title is all that really counts....good point CHE well, the reason I used "winning championship" criteria being the measuring stick for greatness, five years from now no one will remember the team if you didn't win the biggie. (Yep-this group won one but prove it not just a lucky punch). After all, other Celtics group did it more than once....and that's greatness. Today, we can associate the lesser Celtics like, Gerald henderson, Danny Ainge, Wedman, Sichting, Kite etc etc etc because of the 1985-86 championship.   A players like Barkley, Malone, Ewing who did not wear a ring, will be remembered as individual great player no more no less.   Say, who will remember John Stockton/Mark Price's quadruple-triple-double if no ring?
    Posted by CHEisCHE[/QUOTE]

Well using the John Stockton/Mark Price's quadruple-triple-double  as an example doesnt fit since the Big 3 already have a ring.

Also, I dont think any real NBA fan would consider our title a fluke. The next year we made the playoffs but w/o our best player...KG. Last year to game 7 of the finals. With that track record, no way any reasonable thinking person can claim fluke.

Fluke is when you win one year, then miss the playoffs the next 2 or get knocked out early or easily

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Che,

...always the contrarian?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Around the Horn-on the Celtics : Well using the John Stockton/Mark Price's quadruple-triple-double  as an example doesnt fit since the Big 3 already have a ring. Also, I dont think any real NBA fan would consider our title a fluke. The next year we made the playoffs but w/o our best player...KG. Last year to game 7 of the finals. With that track record, no way any reasonable thinking person can claim fluke. Fluke is when you win one year, then miss the playoffs the next 2 or get knocked out early or easily
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm just replying to the comment about the  "greatness" of the group
    Greatness is a superlative statement.
    Winning twice is greatness & superlative.

Che a contrarian? nahhh, I'm cautious not to eat my words. I don't jump in bandwagon.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schleprechaun. Show Schleprechaun's posts

I think Che is usually keeping it fair and balanced (if I may borrow a phrase)
    though he is slightly leanign toward pessimist rather than optimist.

We have enough people gushing about the C's here.

are the mods are doing a better job this year, or did GKiller go back to 9th grade?

Either way, there is a nice lack of trolling lately.

Oh, wait, maybe it is our winning streak! Smile

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]I think Che is usually keeping it fair and balanced (if I may borrow a phrase) though he is slightly leanign toward pessimist rather than optimist. We have enough people gushing about the C's here. are the mods are doing a better job this year, or did GKiller go back to 9th grade? Either way, there is a nice lack of trolling lately. Oh, wait, maybe it is our winning streak!
    Posted by Schleprechaun[/QUOTE]

The reason why there is a lack of trolling is due to the fact that the Lakers did a FOUR-PEAT IN DECEMBER!

HAHAHA!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from videoburns. Show videoburns's posts

In Response to Around the Horn-on the Celtics:
    [QUOTE]Kevin Blackistone just made the comment......"did anyone ever foresee 4 years of greatness when the Big Three were put together?"  ......talk about a great run...and they are deeper than ever....even with the injuries...when everyone comes back?  ....look out!!! KG is still the key (well, along with Rondo)....and KG is healthy with that explosion again.....after the first 20 games he had equalled his "double/double" total of all last season....this team is scary!
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

The main point here is quite true..  that the core of this team has delivered and, the evidence suggests, will continue to deliver far more than was expected...   

Quible about  the greatness word if you want...     but I'ld hold the following true beyond reasoned debate:     It's been a great four years to be a Celtics fan, Its been great to see the Doc haters proven wrong, Its been great to see Rondo mature and adapt and win while the Rondo haters squirm, and this Celtics team has put forward a great all around effort: dedicated focused and professional...       and though I have never liked Danny Ainge much, he has been a Great GM.      

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from videoburns. Show videoburns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Around the Horn-on the Celtics : Well, I'm just replying to the comment about the  "greatness" of the group Greatness is a superlative statement. Winning twice is greatness & superlative. Che a contrarian? nahhh, I'm cautious not to eat my words. I don't jump in bandwagon.
    Posted by CHEisCHE[/QUOTE]

As long as we are quibbling, "greatness" (or "great") is not a superlative.

"Greatest" is a superlative.  

winning twice is not superlative...  if there is someone who has won 3 times.       

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

"Greatest" is a superlative....

Correct, as an adjective....but

I'm just comparing to the degree of winning, in noun --- say utmost degree or absolute.

like you win twice, you r superman!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]Che, ...always the contrarian?
    Posted by Jump-ball-overtime[/QUOTE]HEYYYYYYYY

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

The Buffalo Bills played in how may superbowls in a row in the 90's?  I'd say that was a great team, but everyone I know Buffalo still gives me a snide dirty look if I mention anything about those teams.  The trauma still lives on for those fans 20 years later.  I'd say winning 1 title proves you're great - winning more than one makes you a Legend in the mind of all you're fans.    

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Around the Horn-on the Celtics : The reason why there is a lack of trolling is due to the fact that the Lakers did a FOUR-PEAT IN DECEMBER! HAHAHA!!!
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

Funny since the Fakers have shown a chink in their armour, most of them have vanished.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"until then some will say a fluke."

Some may say it, but as a fan, shame on you for saying it. 

One championship and one finals appearance in three years and a shot at another was more than I was hoping for, and it wasn't a fluke. It was already worth it. Another championship, however, would really solidify the deal and the reputations of these guys.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

I do recall reading something from Paul Pierce where he says that you need to win a couple of titles in Boston to be considered a great team.

I do think that, and the loss in last years finals to be the main drivers for the Cetlics this season.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from videoburns. Show videoburns's posts

[QUOTE]I do recall reading something from Paul Pierce where he says that you need to win a couple of titles in Boston to be considered a great team. I do think that, and the loss in last years finals to be the main drivers for the Cetlics this season.
    Posted by RUWorthy[/QUOTE]

Great athletes find motivation in almost anything that happens.
    Pierce's "couple of titles" quote came AFTER they won one title. Does last years game seven loss motivate this years Celtics? - sure.   If they had won that 7th game would they have taken this year off? I don't think so. They would have re-dedicated themselves to make it 2 in a row.   And you might have heard Pierce say something like "To be considered a REALLY great Celtic team you have to win two in a row."    

I've been a Celtics fan since 1966.   That  year there were 10 teams in the NBA.  10.   There was no salary cap.  

Winning one NBA title today is many times harder than winning a title in a 10 team non-salary cap league. 

There were great teams in that and in subsequent eras...   and it is difficult or impossible to judge "greatness" across sport eras.      

But  I watched them all, many from the balcony of the old Boston Garden and I'm sayin that this team ranks up with the best Celtics teams ever in term of their intensity, talent, and commitment  - and in terms of the gift of entertainment and pride they have given the Celtics fans.  And that makes this a great Celtics team whether or not they win another title.

Winning it all in their first year together was a truly great and in many ways unparalleled achievement...   Saying it was a fluke is insulting the team, the players and coaches. That season was no fluke - it was a basketball masterpiece of a season. Anyone who says it was a fluke is a fool or simply didn't watch .     

Making it as far as they did in their second year together, after loosing KG was in itself a great and inspirational achievement. 

Making it to game seven last year - another high level achievement.  

Now it appears we are privileged again with another great season of Celtic excellence.   

It is both astonishing and irritating to read the consistent nitt picking and whining on this board.  But then again, I guess that is what so many of these forums have become.    A place for venting personal frustrations and opinions that wouldn't be tolerated or taken seriously anywhere in actual conversation in the real world. 

I remember  following one heated thread a year or two back where the idiot putting down the celtic player - (I forget who the player was)  finally admitted that he didn't actually WATCH the games...   he got all he needed to know from the box scores...    lol     

The amazing thing is - even after admitting it, he didn't see the fallacy in his argument.  And didn't see that his position was even compromised by his admission.      In the real world that guy just becomes the drunk in the corner that nobody even hears anymore, just muttering to himself. 

geez I guess its contagious - these whiners have got me turned into a complainer...  lol

Go Celts

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

I agree with you, I don't think that any championship is a fluke. You still always need to have yourself in the position to take the opportunities that may fall your way.

The Sixers in 1980 would probably thought that they had game seven won when Kareem was injured. But Magic stepped in and made some history. Had the 76ers won that game would it have been called a fluke? Or luck? They got themselves into the finals. That's really not luck.

It wasn't luck for the '72 Lakers either, but by definition they were a one title team. But there was no fluke result with our championship there either.

Was the Portland title of '77 a fluke? No. I don't think any title is a fluke. You can have some luck go your way but no title is a fluke.

That Celtics team from '08 was a good one. And it's been a team that has been a legitimate title contender now for 4 years. I do have a feeling that this year could end in another title for the Celtics. Certainly is a golden opportunity for them.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

NCAA tournaments can be a fluke, where you can beat a couple of lower teams then get hot for a few games.  But nba has best of 7 series.  Nobody wins on a fluke. regardless of what happens this year, this has been a great team and I've enjoyed them tremendously.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Around the Horn-on the Celtics : Great athletes find motivation in almost anything that happens. Pierce's "couple of titles" quote came AFTER they won one title. Does last years game seven loss motivate this years Celtics? - sure.   If they had won that 7th game would they have taken this year off? I don't think so. They would have re-dedicated themselves to make it 2 in a row.   And you might have heard Pierce say something like "To be considered a REALLY great Celtic team you have to win two in a row."      I've been a Celtics fan since 1966.   That  year there were 10 teams in the NBA.  10.   There was no salary cap.   Winning one NBA title today is many times harder than winning a title in a 10 team non-salary cap league.  There were great teams in that and in subsequent eras...   and it is difficult or impossible to judge "greatness" across sport eras.       But  I watched them all, many from the balcony of the old Boston Garden and I'm sayin that this team ranks up with the best Celtics teams ever in term of their intensity, talent, and commitment  - and in terms of the gift of entertainment and pride they have given the Celtics fans.  And that makes this a great Celtics team whether or not they win another title. Winning it all in their first year together was a truly great and in many ways unparalleled achievement...   Saying it was a fluke is insulting the team, the players and coaches. That season was no fluke - it was a basketball masterpiece of a season. Anyone who says it was a fluke is a fool or simply didn't watch .      Making it as far as they did in their second year together, after loosing KG was in itself a great and inspirational achievement.  Making it to game seven last year - another high level achievement.   Now it appears we are privileged again with another great season of Celtic excellence.    It is both astonishing and irritating to read the consistent nitt picking and whining on this board.  But then again, I guess that is what so many of these forums have become.    A place for venting personal frustrations and opinions that wouldn't be tolerated or taken seriously anywhere in actual conversation in the real world.  I remember  following one heated thread a year or two back where the idiot putting down the celtic player - (I forget who the player was)  finally admitted that he didn't actually WATCH the games...   he got all he needed to know from the box scores...    lol      The amazing thing is - even after admitting it, he didn't see the fallacy in his argument.  And didn't see that his position was even compromised by his admission.      In the real world that guy just becomes the drunk in the corner that nobody even hears anymore, just muttering to himself.  geez I guess its contagious - these whiners have got me turned into a complainer...  lol Go Celts               
    Posted by videoburns[/QUOTE]

I remember that also.  I am pretty certain it was our very own Dudder. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

I agree with you, I don't think that any championship is a fluke. You still always need to have yourself in the position to take the opportunities that may fall your way.

The arguiment was all about winning once vs winning twice or more.
    ok..then use this word in order:
    You win one you are "great"
    You win two or more, you are the "greatest" an adjective--highest in quality.

Will this settle greatness?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from thrombosis. Show thrombosis's posts

The only way winning a 7 game series is likely to be a fluke is if the losing teams star player was injured or couldn't play.  If Michael Jordan's flu-induced temperature of 102 had been 2 degrees higher, then Utah may have had a fluke championship.