as of now, LJ > BIRD?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Re: as of now, LJ > BIRD?

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Karllost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bird, Magic, Jordan, Isiah, Kareem, Akeem, Ewing, Stockton, Malone, Barkley, Pippen etc etc

The league back then had a long list of real superstars...today most of the league is made up of young kids.. Who are the studs the Heat have to get thru to win a title... Al Jefferson, John Wall, Joe Johnson & very old Spurs players

Todays NBA is soft as Charmin... you ever check out the amount of no touch fouls called of 3 pointers? Drive the lane is a breeze cause if the defense ever attempts to hard foul a layup, its a flagrant...  Worse is Lebrons free pass into the lane, shoulder down, purposely  crashing into defenders  and knowing he'll get the call 9 out of 10.. Back in the 80's-90's if you drove the lane on some teams you were going down hard and it was only a foul... no such thing as flagrants..  just youtube it and see.

The other night I was watching youtube viewing clips of MJ, Larry & Magic, watched their HOF inductions too... the highlights were awesome, what skills, what clutch playing, toughness diving for balls, finesse in making shots.. what a treat to check out.  Then I watched a little of the same for Lebron. When you do, youll realize a lot.

I've also been puzzled about one other thing.. the claim about Lebron being so muscular and strong. He certainly does appear strong..  but last week Mike greenberg was saying what freakishly musculature Lebron has,.. Whats he seeing that Im not... I watched some Karl Malone footage, then looked back at Lebron..back n forth I went.. truth is Lebron looked like a skinny kid in comparison

Bottom line is anyone can look good or bad, it all depends who youre being compared to. It also depends on what a player like Lebron is allowed to get away with to market the NBA while other players dont have that luxury or clout.  Lebron is a great player today but when I compare it all, on an even playing field, I dont see him ranking with the greats of all time... I think he is far, far below their level of skill, toughness and ability to perform in the clutch..generally speaking

[/QUOTE]

10-4 Chief...excellent post...If Lebron tried his shiznit on Cowens and Silas he'd miss two weeks the first time after getting his neck busted up....he'd still be a talented physical freak, but he'd have to earn it....guys today never pay the price...today's game sucks.

[/QUOTE]

Wade and Lebron are always trying to injure players. In the old days someone on the other team would make sure that never happened again. Nowadays, players don't seem to care about their teammates.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to dhs1950's comment:

[QUOTE]

Ah those "GOOD OLD DAYS'. You sure can count on Old Timers to defend their generation as the greatest. With each passing year the nostalgia level for the past builds and builds to the point where reminiscing about the past will even induce tears. Many old timers that witnessed the 1960's will claim those years, not the  70's 80's or 90's were the glory days for the NBA. That's how the nostalgia of the past clouds ones appreciation of the present.

dhs1950

[/QUOTE]

Not quite, sonnyboy..

I witnessed the Russell years in the 60's and the Celtics then were one of the most important things to me.... I also witnessed the 70's and the great Hondo/Cowens/JoJoWhite teams... made life so sweet..couldnt miss a game.

With that said, IM still saying the 80's-90's was the best ball in NBA history.  I saw Wilt & Russ going at it.. I saw Lew & Walton.... I saw West & Oscar... Hondo and the rest..great stuff during my most impressionable years... Still I defer to the 80's-90's...

So maybe you gotta find a new angle to make your point

[/QUOTE]

Don't bother...the new age loves the dunk and hates the fast break. I'd give almost anything to watch Hondo put some real D for 48 minutes on the Lame one....LeBron would do well because he's a freak, but Hondo would have him cramping in 20 minutes because he'd make James play both O and D at full speed playing fast break BBall for 48 minutes...James would be in the ER going down the lane against Mahorn and Laimbeer.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to chris33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Bird, Magic, Jordan, Isiah, Kareem, Akeem, Ewing, Stockton, Malone, Barkley, Pippen etc etc

The league back then had a long list of real superstars...today most of the league is made up of young kids.. Who are the studs the Heat have to get thru to win a title... Al Jefferson, John Wall, Joe Johnson & very old Spurs players

Todays NBA is soft as Charmin... you ever check out the amount of no touch fouls called of 3 pointers? Drive the lane is a breeze cause if the defense ever attempts to hard foul a layup, its a flagrant...  Worse is Lebrons free pass into the lane, shoulder down, purposely  crashing into defenders  and knowing he'll get the call 9 out of 10.. Back in the 80's-90's if you drove the lane on some teams you were going down hard and it was only a foul... no such thing as flagrants..  just youtube it and see.

The other night I was watching youtube viewing clips of MJ, Larry & Magic, watched their HOF inductions too... the highlights were awesome, what skills, what clutch playing, toughness diving for balls, finesse in making shots.. what a treat to check out.  Then I watched a little of the same for Lebron. When you do, youll realize a lot.

I've also been puzzled about one other thing.. the claim about Lebron being so muscular and strong. He certainly does appear strong..  but last week Mike greenberg was saying what freakishly musculature Lebron has,.. Whats he seeing that Im not... I watched some Karl Malone footage, then looked back at Lebron..back n forth I went.. truth is Lebron looked like a skinny kid in comparison

Bottom line is anyone can look good or bad, it all depends who youre being compared to. It also depends on what a player like Lebron is allowed to get away with to market the NBA while other players dont have that luxury or clout.  Lebron is a great player today but when I compare it all, on an even playing field, I dont see him ranking with the greats of all time... I think he is far, far below their level of skill, toughness and ability to perform in the clutch..generally speaking

[/QUOTE]

10-4 Chief...excellent post...If Lebron tried his shiznit on Cowens and Silas he'd miss two weeks the first time after getting his neck busted up....he'd still be a talented physical freak, but he'd have to earn it....guys today never pay the price...today's game sucks.

[/QUOTE]

Wade and Lebron are always trying to injure players. In the old days someone on the other team would make sure that never happened again. Nowadays, players don't seem to care about their teammates.

[/QUOTE]

+1

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

Nowadays, players don't seem to care about their teammates.

ask garnett or humphries and they'll tell you rondo does. of course, that's rondo and entirely different.    :-)

bp

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Ah those "GOOD OLD DAYS'. You sure can count on Old Timers to defend their generation as the greatest. With each passing year the nostalgia level for the past builds and builds to the point where reminiscing about the past will even induce tears. Many old timers that witnessed the 1960's will claim those years, not the  70's 80's or 90's were the glory days for the NBA. That's how the nostalgia of the past clouds ones appreciation of the present.

dhs1950

[/QUOTE]

Not quite, sonnyboy..

I witnessed the Russell years in the 60's and the Celtics then were one of the most important things to me.... I also witnessed the 70's and the great Hondo/Cowens/JoJoWhite teams... made life so sweet..couldnt miss a game.

With that said, IM still saying the 80's-90's was the best ball in NBA history.  I saw Wilt & Russ going at it.. I saw Lew & Walton.... I saw West & Oscar... Hondo and the rest..great stuff during my most impressionable years... Still I defer to the 80's-90's...

So maybe you gotta find a new angle to make your point

[/QUOTE]

Don't bother...the new age loves the dunk and hates the fast break. I'd give almost anything to watch Hondo put some real D for 48 minutes on the Lame one....LeBron would do well because he's a freak, but Hondo would have him cramping in 20 minutes because he'd make James play both O and D at full speed playing fast break BBall for 48 minutes...James would be in the ER going down the lane against Mahorn and Laimbeer.

[/QUOTE]

If it was the NBA of old, yes...

The Jordan Rules were put in place in Det to hammer MJ anytime he came near the lane... it worked.. Jordan didnt have the benefit of having the refs call flagrants and protect him like Lebron does....J ordan had to beef up in the gym off season to try & absorb the punishment better..

If MJ was playing with todays Lebron rules, the Bulls might have won 8-9 titles cause the Pistons would have never beaten them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lex44. Show Lex44's posts

[QUOTE]

dhs1950

[/QUOTE]

The Bird era or the Orr era if you were around for them you'll never say anything is better. 30 years from now the youngsters now that will be old men by then will be saying the same thing about the Brady era. Thank my lucky stars I've been around to see them all..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhs1950. Show dhs1950's posts

In response to Lex44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

dhs1950

[/QUOTE]

The Bird era or the Orr era if you were around for them you'll never say anything is better. 30 years from now the youngsters now that will be old men by then will be saying the same thing about the Brady era. Thank my lucky stars I've been around to see them all..

[/QUOTE]

Ain't that the truth?

dhs1950

Sections
Shortcuts